Hyde Park Inn

Smart Hyde Park Inn Hostel
Booking.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• Terrible!

I only stayed two nights and I wanted out before sun set. I have now because of how terrible the cleaning is have recieved a serious throat infection. Blood on the beds sheets and everything. They rarely clean the place. Please if you know what is good for you, you won't stay there!

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Hyde Park Inn - not as nice as it sounds...

My trip to London in March of 2006 was more a spontaneous reaction to five days off work. I did not have a lot of time to inform about accomidations, so I took the cheapest avaliable and off I went. We all know that the cheapest is not always the best, but I did expect a little more for the price I paid. I haven't stayed in other hostels in London, so I can't say if the London standart for them is high or low and I don't have any possibilities to compare. But compared with the hostels I know from other european countries, this was the worst experience.

I booked the hostel via the Ryanair webpage (hostelworld) and until then I had no negative experiences. But at the reception I had to pay a higher pirce than stated at the resevration. They told me that the price given by hostelworld did not include the V.A.T. and that I would not have this problem If I would have booked vie their own website. Discussions led to nothing and I ended up paying a higher price...

The location is very good, just a few steps away from Bayswater tube station and also very close to Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park. There are many hotels and hostels in that area so that you will find it a little "touristy".

Unique Quality: There are different sized rooms from double rooms to 12 bed dorms. The rooms were OK with a sink and lockers.
    Showers and toilets are located in different places in the building. The toilets were not always clean but this was more due to other guests than a problem of the hostel. Taking a shower required some creativity, at least if you did not want your clothes to become wet: There are no possibilities to stowe them in a dry place within the shower.
    Forget breakfast - you had the choice between toast with butter or extremely sweetened strawberry jam or cereals with milk (the cereals were OK, so I stayed with them). No juices, no cheese and no second choice of jam. Breakfast is served between 7:30 and 9:00 am and the kitchen can become very full during that time.
    They charge you for quite everything: Using the lockers, leaving your luggage at the reservation desk after check-in and similar stuff. Together with the VAT-thing I felt a little ripped off.
    At least the receptionists were friendly and helpful, especially when it came to giving information about the city. You can buy tickets for different attractions such as the Tower of London.

• Bunking in Bayswater

It is a very cheap and basic hostel for travellers. I shared a dorm with 3 Korean girls - their English was limited but when I asked them about their experience here (they had been staying for an incredible 10 days!!!), they didn't sound too favourable.

The rooms are very small and cramped and in summer the window is permanently open. An electric fan had also been provided. There were 3 sets of bunk beds in our room but I think there are some rooms with 4. There is a sink in the room but toilets and showers are situated outside in the halls and on the landings.
    (There were "iron shaped" burns in the hall carpets where people had been doing their ironing on the floor!)

Unique Quality: There is a good mix of older and younger people here. It is VERY centrally located in Bayswater and there is no curfew. Reception is manned 24 hours a day and they are strict on security.

Directions: At Bayswater tube, cross the road and take the first left - the hostel is directly in front of you.

• Hostels - You get what you pay for

Petra and I booked into this place at very short notice as we needed to stay in London on Saturday night and this place was the only one we could find that had a couple of spare beds.

We booked in at around 12.30, paid the ?10 deposit for the locker key and were given a key card and two sheets and a pillowcase to make our beds. If we checked out ANY time after 10am the next day we would lose our deposit.

If you leave anything on the floor of your dorm instead of on the bed or in the locker during the day it will be thrown away - there were lots of other rules but we were only staying one night.

When we appeared at 2am we both had to show our key cards to the guy on reception. Mine had got lost right at the bottom of my bag and I am pretty sure if I had not been able to find it there is no way he would have allowed me in. I know that security in these places has to be tight .... and it is in this hostel.

Unique Quality: The internet access in the reception is 50p for 15 mins.

Breakfast is cornflakes, white sliced bread (there is a toaster) tea and coffee. The breakfast room is down stairs - seating is limited - a few broken garden chairs and wobbly tables. NO food or drinks are allowed in the rooms.

Oh yes!!..... not toooo many places in the UK where you can drink your morning coffee and listen to the Muezzin call the muslim faithful to prayer at the local mosque.. had to remind myself this was Bayswater and not Bahrain!

Directions: Turn right out of Bayswater tube, cross the road and take the first left... the hostel is in front of you.

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

Not extravagant, but comfortable.

I believe this was a hostel. I don't think it was an inn or a hotel. If you are on a budget, this place would be for you. After all, you will probably be spending most of your time sight-seeing, so it is a great place to lay your head down at the end of the nite.
    They provide lockers in your room, so you can lock up whatever valuables that you have. Unisex rooms that room 2-12 people @ a very reasonable price. There is not much privacy, but great oppurtunity to meet fellow travellers like your self.
    The rooms are clean. I believe someone comes in every day or other to tidy up and make the beds. The bathroom, on the other hand,not as clean. It was like 50 people sharing the same bathroom.
    The staff is super friendly at the front desk are able to help you with directions, they'll call a taxi for you if you need, and provide other services.
    Internet access is available, but there are other places in the town, that offer a better rate.

• shiri86's Profile Photo

Want some foreign friends? Stay here.

Me and 4 friends of mine stayed at Hyde Park Inn for 6 nights in a 10 bed dorm. We had people from France, Canada, Asia, Sweden and Spain in the same room during our stay, so it was really cool!
    The hostel wasn't too clean and the showers and toilets were bad, but the athmosphere was twice as great!! They have a lounge with tv, where the guests can hang out at any time. In the evening we sat there and had a few drinks; it beat the bar! We got lots of new friends there! :D

Directions: Turn to Inverness Terrace from Baywater Road. Walk about 200m, and the Inn is to the right.
    If you walk along Queensway Road turn to the road that's opposite to Bayswater tubestation, and the hostel is right ahead of you.

• chikidee's Profile Photo

London Hostel

This hostel lies just to the north of Hide Park with easy access to Queensway tube station.
    Well, it's not better or worse than any other hostel in London, but special to me, because I met my future husband there... Maybe the same will happen to you?!
    I recommend this hostel because of its easy access. It really is in the center of town. And you can get to any sites easily.

Unique Quality: Easy access! In the center. Pool table, TV, breakfast (not great though but at least you get something)

Directions: about 500 m from Queensway tube station

• psychocy's Profile Photo

An OK place to crash on a tight budget

Well, this was a hostel, so I wasn't expecting luxury. After all, I knew I'd be sharing a room with up to 12 other people. I got what I paid for, for the most part, although there were a few things that irked me. Let me start with the pros - plenty of hot water in the showers, a good kitchen, friendly staff, lots of interesting guests, a GREAT LOCATION (just north of Hyde Park), and well-heated. There... now for the cons - some of the rooms are poorly ventilated, expensive and slow internet access (walk 2 minutes to Queensway, straight out the front door and across the road, for better and cheaper access), beds that can't be more than 6 foot long (so your feet end up sticking through the bars uncomfortably if you're tall), extremely rude cleaning people that seem to delight in waking you up or making you get out of their way in a hustle, the key I was given to a locker went to someone elses (which made me feel a bit insecure), and lots deposit fees for various things (I needed to leave a 5 pound deposit to borrow a spoon). Altogether I would stay here again, because of the location, if I couldn't find a better deal. However given the option to pay 5 or 10 quid more for a real hotel room, I'd jump on that.

UPDATE: I stayed here again with my girlfriend in June 2005 and the service and situation were better. The room had a floor length window that was left cracked open for ventilation and the cleaning crew waited until a decent hour to clean our room. The other complaints still stand.

Unique Quality: The hostel is located two minutes walk from Queensway with it's myriad of shops and restaurants, as well as the subway station there, and two or three minutes walk from Hyde Park.

Directions: Take the tube to Queensway and cross the street. Then go through a short street connecting Queensway to Bayswater. The hostel is directly across the road.

• Aarti_Shah's Profile Photo

No frills but fun hostel

I lived here for two months last year, and while the place has moldy floors, a mouse problem and a mysterious food-thief - it has a lot of personality. The staff is fun and backpacker culture here dominates. A bar downstairs makes it easy to meet other ramblers and people are very friendly. It can't be beat for location though Bayswater can be just a bit seedy sometimes. Nice London home for a backpacker or traveler on a budget.

Directions: Bayswater and Queensway Tube station

1 Bed Private Room 28.00 GBP
    2 Bed Private Room 22.50 GBP

Unique Quality: *Stay 3 nights and get 4th night free
    *Free Breakfast Included in the Price
    *Internet access at only £1.00 per. hr.
    *Games Room/Pool Room
    *No Lockout/No Curfew
    *Kitchen Facilities
    *Luggage Storage
    *Tourist Information
    *TV Room with Sky TV
    *Fax Facilities
    *Credit Cards Accepted

Directions: From Bayswater Underground Station, cross the road and walk down Inverness Place, there in front of you at the junction is Hyde Park Inn.

• M.E.R.V's Profile Photo

B&B

22pounds/pax for 2-bed private room inc breakfast! Very cheap!

Unique Quality: New hotel/hostel to the Bayswater area. Clean, safe and secure place to stay with 24 hour access to the hostel facilities and your room. One of the top hostels so book early!

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Good place

all our rooms have en-suite washing facilities. There are also many bath and shower rooms on all levels of the building with unlimited piping hot water.Games room / pool room,linen provided.

Unique Quality: Centrally located means that it could save you pounds.

Comments