3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Hotels.com ibis Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 12% higher than other 3.5 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

More budget lodging in the east end

Priceline wasn't giving me the same rates for the 2nd part of our stay so I finally booked the Ibis London City which is located in the Whitechapel area of London. I had previously stayed at the Ibis Budget Whitechapel which is just up the street but I didn't like the shower opening into the bedroom for a stay with my niece so I booked this one instead.

Unique Quality: A little disappointed that the wifi wasn't free, at every other Ibis I've stayed at it was. There are terminals in the lobby, 1L for 20 minutes, or you can pay 9.99L for use in your room per day (I think you also got upgraded TV). After I posted a review, the manager wrote me a note and said that they were making wifi free in the rooms and it appears to be so on their website.

Beds are comfortable compared to other Ibis hotels I've stayed at.

Bathroom a little small, small towels, toiletries were all attached to the wall, hand soap and bath gel which they say doubles as shampoo but I used my own.

Room was big enough but not a lot of space for luggage. Twin room is two beds pushed together, you can move them about a foot apart.

Teapot and tea complimentary, no room safe, no fridge, hair dryer

Directions: Aldgate East station, follow sign for Toynbee Hall, follow sign for Ibis, turn left out of the station and walk around the corner, 2 minute walk.

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Clean and convenient location

This hotel was my basecamp for my London exploration and offer 348 rooms, one restaurant L'Estaminet for French cuisine and one bar. Reception staff was professionnal, friendly and helpful.

My room was basic, functional, quiet, clean with TV (7 channels), A/C and a shower.
    The bed was no so comfortable as the mattress was to hard. Although it was a good thing to wake me up earlier to visit London and not to laze around my room ;-)

The location of this hotel is very convenient as all these destinations are within a short 15min walk (less 1 mile) The City, Swiss Re, Leadenhall Market, Liverpool Station, The Monument, Tower of London or Tower Bridge.

Week-end price are GBP 65, weekly prices are GBP 79-95 (prices 2006).

For farest destination, the Tube station Aldgate East is only 100m from the hotel.

Directions: Tube station: Aldgate East (1min by foot) on Hammersmith & City or District Lines

More about Ibis London City

Pleasant & Affordable

by TripAdvisor Member ballquentin

Located Near Aldgate East Tube Station- The London City Ibis is a wonderful efficient hotel sutable for most who care for a bed at night. The 9 story hotel offers small but clean and updated rooms. We stayed here after a return trip from Spain and a 3 day hold over in London to see the sights before our trip home to the US. The Ibis London City is a little over an hour from Heathrow by the tube, and our early morning flight on Sunday troubled us because the tube does not start running until 7:10am. We took the tube to the express train to Heathrow and made it with plenty of time to spare.
The Ibis London CIty is located a short 2 minute walk to the Aldgate East station. There are primarily businesses and such around the hotel so walking to attractions nearby is not possible. WIthin a few minutes walk from the hotel there are a few dining options, mostly fast food, KFC, Burger King, a food mart, and a local pub. A tube to any of the main attractions are about 15-20 minutes away by tube. Really convienent for the price.
The Room itself is small with a queen size bed, there is a small desk built into a ledge under the window and a bench like seat near the window. The television has several local channels, nothing too spectacular for late night channel surfing. The most interesting feature of the room is the bathroom. It is a pod like plastic modular insert that was quite strange in appearance, but did the job and it gave a newer feel. Also very clean. No irons in the room, you have to find an ironing room on one of the floors, not a major inconvience. We did not try the hotel breakfast, the exchange rate would have made the breakfast 12$, a little more than desired when on a bit of a budget.

Top budget hotel

by TripAdvisor Member FloWagner

The Ibis London City is a top hotel for staying in London if you are on a tight budget (it is even if you're not). The rooms are relatively large, very clean and comfortably. The bathroom is reasonably sized, also very clean and features a large shower.

Every room has a flat-screen TV set with Internet access (via TV or you could plug-in your Laptop), video-on-demand, music-on-demand and various "normal" TV stations. For internet access and on-demand content there is a flat-rate available which is advertised at 9.99 Pounds for 24 hours, however I was only charged once although using it for 48 hours.

The entrence to Aldgate East tube station is only about 50 Meters away and Liverpool Street station can be reached after a short stroll of about 5-10 Minutes. The surrounding area looks a bit worn down, but I never felt unsafe when waking around, even at night.

The hotel staff was always nice and helpful, and you never feel that you are staying in a hotel with almost 350 rooms.

Experience of stay marred by attitude of staff

by TripAdvisor Member Persephone11

We stayed at Ibis London City from 22-24 Sept (3 nights) due to the good reviews by previous visitors to this hotel. The hotel was located right next to Aldgate East tube station so getting to and from the hotel was easy. The room itself was clean and modern.

However, our experience at this hotel was marred by the staff working at the counter and in the restaurant. The majority of the staff we encountered were snobby, impatient and had a cool and indifferent air about them. Their attitude was generally poor and not suited for working in the service industry.

The counter staff who checked us in expressed impatience when we didn't understand her French-accented English at one instance and had to repeat herself. We witnessed one counter staff raising her voice at 2 guests who wanted to check in asking them to wait as she had to deal with another guest who was agitated. There were not enough counter staff to handle the guests and at most times when we passed the hotel lobby, there were numerous guests gathered at the counter waiting to be served. There was a luggage room where we could keep our bags after checking out while waiting for our flight. We were simply given the key to the room to store our luggage away, no help offered, and asked to give back the key after storing our luggage. Only when we went to collect our bags was help offered in the form of holding the luggage room door open for us. And that we believe may be due to their wanting a tip from us.

The area around the hotel was rough and we (2 female travellers) made sure we were back in the hotel before 9 p.m. as we didn't feel safe walking from the tube to the hotel, albeit it was a short distance. The continental breakfast which we tried once didn't sit well with us as we preferred a full English breakfast. The air-cooling system in the room went on and off at intervals. This was according to the counter staff due to the system being centrally controlled. In the end, we had to open the window to get some ventilation.

All in all, we definitely won't be staying at this particular Ibis hotel in the future.

Magnificient

by TripAdvisor Member Danbag

A very excellent hotel in London 1 zone, well connected to the centre of the city (the tube station is ten meters far from hotel) .
Also close to brick lane's sunday's market and the city district.
Excellent rooms , bathroom in our room was very big!!!
Nice and helpful staff, good continental breakfast.....who wants more????

Nice and 'cheap' hotel

by TripAdvisor Member brunombo

i stayed in this hotel the last week of august. it is relatevily cheap (70pounds per night) and the staff is kind and helpfull. It is mainly a business hotel. Breakfast is rich and available from 4am 'till 12pm. The bathrooms are new and big. I believe the most positive thing about this hotel is that it is located right in the financial centre of London and that is really really close (20yards) to the tube station (aldgate east)

Cheap hotel in London

by TripAdvisor Member victor.ward

The hotel was nice and close to the subway station. Rooms were ok with plastic bathrooms.Standard rate was 65GBP pr night in a double room for the weekend which must be considered cheap in London. Only thing to complain about was the taxi service at the hotel. It was quite expensive and the driver didn't know where the Tate Modern was. I would stay here again.

Not a good experience

by TripAdvisor Member GTW

I reviewed all the comments here and expected that it would be good to stay here. But I was wrong. Yes, the hotel room is clean. The location is convenient -- near the tube. Actually it has a nice room. (but one thing to complain: no hair-dryer can be found in the room. )

But that is still a dump choice. We will not choose this hotel again. It's a bad experience to stay there. The reception staff is very very unfriendly (in fact, rude), impatient for the questions, not helpful at all. From the moment we got in, we did not feel any "nice" from her, not mention the smile on her face.

I was suprised to see a staff like that, especially in the hotel recommended by many users. The day we checked in is 9/9, a Sat. night. I am wondering if this staff is part-time? simply hired on weekend night? Or how could IBIS train a staff like this?

We stayed in Ibis for only one night.

The next hotel we stayed ....even the room is so so ...but it has the helpful staff... good to leave Ibis and choose another.

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Theo19

We come to London very often and stayed in many hotels at different parts of City. This cosy hotel is well located for visiting London. The bus number 15, passes just infront of the hotel and takes you to Oxford Circus by crossing Trafalgar, Piccadilly and Regent Street. There is also Tube Station right next door. The most pleasant thing is the service and the staff. They all smile and seem like they love their jobs. This is more and more rare in hospitality sector. We also loved the decoration and cosy ambiance within the hotel. Defineteley better than in competitors of the simular category. You should give a try to this lovely hotel.

This is just Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member Rosienine

We loved this hotel. The rates did not break the bank account and yet the rooms were very comfortable. The public areas are pleasantly decorated, are well kept and the rooms were immaculate. We loved the breakfast arrangement. The staff were very helpful and provided all types of information on the area. We enjoyed hot chocolate in the bar every night.

We went to some of the restaurants they recommended and were not disappointed. We wil certainly stay there again if we are in the area. This is just perfect.

Hotel Ibis London City

by hockeyjock

Negative and postive comments appreciated from those familiar with Hotel Ibis London City.

Thanks

Re: Hotel Ibis London City

by planxty

I have never stayed there personally as it is only a few minutes walk from where I live, but I had some friends who stayed there on a trip to London a couple of years ago and said it was perfectly adequate. What I can tell you is that it is very centrally located and literally one minutes walk from Aldgate East tube station, about ten minutes from Liverpool Street tube / train station and probably about five minutes from Aldgate tube (diffeerent lines from Aldgate East) giving you a good selection of travel routes. If you have business in the City of London financial district, it is easily walkable.

If you need any more specific help on the area, please VT mail me, I will try to assist.

fergy.