London Rd, County Oak, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9GY, United Kingdom

Agoda.com Booking.com Hotels.com

• balhannah's Profile Photo

GOOD FOR AN EARLY FLIGHT

We had an early flight in the morning from Gatwick Airport, so wanted a Hotel close by.
    The one we chose, was the reasonably priced Ibis Gatwick, an economy Hotel located 5 minutes' drive from London Gatwick Airport.

What we liked, was the FREE SHUTTLE BUS SERVICE TO THE AIRPORT.

The rooms are not big, but they were clean & tidy, had tea & coffee facilities, iron in the room and an ensuite. The Hotel is 100% non smoking. We had a good nights sleep in the quiet room and were taken to the Airport on time.
    There is secure, free onsite parking for up to 70 cars, both short and long term.

We were quite comfortable and would stay here again

More about Ibis London Gatwick Airport

Suited our needs perfectly

by TripAdvisor Member deanam

We found the Ibis Gatwick to be clean, functional and basic, yet modern, and a relative bargain. Our room was available at 10.30 am for check-in. The breakfast for 5 GBP was adequate. Note that the 17.5% VAT is included in posted rates. The bathroom was a little strange, perhaps intended for a handicapped person: water from the shower covered the entire floor and then failed to drain completely. The beds were very firm. A somewhat slow Internet connection is available in lobby for 1 GBP per ten minutes. Personnel was generally young, very helpful, and solicitous.

As others have mentioned and recommended, the fantastic Chef and Brewer Pub is in a nearby manor (about 2 blocks back in the direction of the airport); when you’re back in on the grounds of the manor, as you face the hotel entrance, the pub is the farthest building to your left.

Also as others have mentioned, one needs to make a reservation immediately upon arrival for return to the airport; pick up is free, delivery to Gatwick is 3 GBP. When we arrived in the South Terminal, we went to the street level with our luggage and between posts 11 and 12, there was a hotel courtesy phone. The pick-up van will clearly say Ibis on it. Ours arrived in about five minutes, but I think he was already out making the circuit.

We would definitely stay here again, although on our return to London for our flight back to the States, we opted for the convenience and luxury of the Sofitel (formerly Le Meridien) at 2½ times the cost of our stay at the Ibis. It was a good balance for us.

Cheap and convenient

by TripAdvisor Member RichardSoutheast

Good part: hotel is close to airport and runs a regular, reliable shuttle (3 pounds to airport/ free from airport). At 45 pounds a night it is fine to catch a plane; add 5 pounds for ok breakfast.
The Ibis room is small with appointments that would be sparse to a Shaker. The room was otherwise clean except that the carpet was soiled. Bath is modular and small (think phone booth) - left foot in shower to use toilet - but shower itself is good size. The whole room is an ergonomic exercise that looks better than it works, but is is ok for one or two nights. Food in restaurant is average at best but available 24 hrs. Very isolated location. This is a no frills hotel run by a young international staff - language (and service) can be a problem at times.

Great for an overnight stop

by TripAdvisor Member princess67

Stayed here in August ,the night before we flew out on our holidays.Booked the hotel as part of a airport carparking package.Room was spotless including the bathroom and tea and coffee making facilities were in the room along with colour tv.We didn't eat here as we found an excellent oldy worldy hotel/pub about 200 metres down the road.(its tudor style place in front of the Premier Inn). Serves excellent food.
Would definitely recommend staying here the night before your flight if your flying early the next day.OK this is not a holiday hotel but it doesn't attempt to be either. Will certainley use again.

Not very convenient

by TripAdvisor Member nelsonrandall

Based on the great reviews on Trip Advisor, I booked a room at the Ibis Hotel Gatwick. I was very disappointed with the hotel. I didn't even check-in. The front desk staff was not helpful. I was early, a few hours before check-in. I understand and asked if I could just change my clothes and leave my bags. I could leave my bags but had no place for me to change. OK I just need transportation to get back to the airport to catch the train into town. 28 miles away. London not the airport.. 3 Pounds I was told. Well can you exchange USD for me I have not had a chance to exchange any money yet. NO, I was told were do not exchange. OK do you have an ATM machine? NO, walk to petrol station 1/2 mile down road. OK I walk 1/2 mile. ATM Machine will not take my card. Very nice lady working at station I think it was a BP station. Gave me 20 pence to make a call. I called another hotel in town to come get me. I walked back to the Hotel and got my bag. If you’re visiting London this is not a good place to stay anyway. You will have to pay for transportation to get back to the airport then take the train into London. And reverse the process on the way back. Not very convenient.

excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member Kat_Ric

We had an overnight stop prior to catching a plane from Gatwick, which is just 5 mins away. The room cost under £50 and the week's off-site parking was just £5 per day. In total we paid £90 all in - which is half what our friends paid in one of the airport campus hotels.
Good points = price, location, friendly staff, ease of leaving and collecting the car, which was delivered back tothe Ibis Hotel. Bad points = If I'm hyper critical the room furnishings were a little "cheap", but hey - you get what you pay for.
We would definitley use the Ibis chain, and this hotel in particular, again.

Glad I found this one!

by TripAdvisor Member PenTravis

Stayed here to catch morning flight out of Gatwick. I travel extensively for business and pleasure, throughout USA, Europe, and Asia, so my comments are biased to my preferences.

PLUSES: Great price for Gatwick area. "Institutional feel" means I know room is designed for convenience and comfort, not for "cuteness". Mattress is firm (finally). Shower has great pressure (!!!) . Room and bathroom are very large for London area hotels. Window opens. Shelf-like work area the entire width of room. Water kettle for making tea. Extra pillow in closet. Shuttle is reliable and only GPB3. Informal staff means not stuffy atmosphere; if you like toadies sprinkling rose petals in your path, this is not the place for you.

MINUSES: No Wifi in room, only dialup jack. [Lobby has a coin-operated internet PC. 50pence gave 10 minutes access, enough to check my email, send my arrival info to family and shuttle, and ensure that flight still on-time]. Shuttle runs every half-hour and reservation is critical! [ I checked in at 10pm, wanted 10AM shuttle for next morning. Already full, as were the 930 and 1030 ones. Settled for 900am which meant I was in the airport of too long] RESERVE YOUR MORNING SHUTTLE WHEN YOU CHECK-IN.

SUMMARY: If you are the type who prefers Holiday Inn Express, you will like this hotel. If you prefer quaint, kitschy, non-functional plumbing hotels with charm, try this one and you will be well-rested with a bunch of money still left in your pocket.

What shuttle bus?

We stayed at the Ibis at Gatwick Airport as we had a fairly early flight from Gatwick the next day and the room and parking package was reasonably priced compared to over hotels I had seen on the internet.

The room was basic but what you would expect and I have no complaints about that. However, the reception didn't seem to be very well organised and it was a bit of a free for all - whoever spoke the loudest was served even if other people had been waiting longer.

On arrival, I tried to book to use the shuttle bus service to the airport. Howver, I was told that the shuttle bus service only ran ever half an hour and was in fact already booked up. When I booked the hotel on the internet, I was not given an opportunity to book the bus service and the fact you had to book was not mentioned. It does seem somewhat strange that a hotel only has a small mini bus to take paying guests to to the airport every half an hour when the vast majority of guests will have booked into the hotel to have that access to the airport. I therefore had to book a taxi for the journey to the airport and back at a total cost of £20. If I had known about this in advance, I would have stayed at a nearer more expensive hotel which did have a shuttle service which was actually available to all its guests.

I did try to contact Ibis about this on my return from holiday but their webiste does not have any contact details or complaints page.

Good hotel for an early Gatwich departure

We stayed overnight at the hotel because of an early flight. The counter staff members are very friendly and efficient and we were in our room in no time. The staff made sure we booked our shuttle to Gatwick for the morning and also booked a morning call for us.

The room is basic but very clean and large for London area hotels. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant (in the lobby) but decided to walk about 5 minutes to a pub/restaurant in front of the Premier Hotel down the road. Great food and atmosphere.

Our only (minor) complaint is having to wait a long time at Gatwick for a shuttle pick-up. They run the shuttle to the airport every half hour so if you just missed one, you'll have to wait over half an hour for the next.

Convenient and inexpensive

by TripAdvisor Member MaggieJ

The full ibis buffet breakfast is conveniently provided from 4:30 am- good value at £5 and ideal for early departures as you can avoid the airport food. Ordered a snack at the bar in the evening and service is friendly and efficient.

Did not use the shuttle service but location was good for the BCP carpark.

Bathroom and power shower were good, and reception are happy for you to go down and collect extra towels and pillows.

All in all convenient and good value at less than £50/room night, but note that the hotel does not have air conditioning, but an 'air cooling system'. The window opens, but it is too noisy to have it open all night so I did find the temperature too warm to sleep comfortably, plus something made breathing difficult - possibly aerosol sprayed around to neutralise the smell of smoke? -I only experienced that once before at a Travelodge years ago. Those points may or may not be relevant to you, but the room was otherwise comfortable and well equipped and the hotel itself quiet.

Basic Bed & Bath

by TripAdvisor Member MariKOA

The Ibis is a basic hotel in the Ikea style. The rooms are small but efficient, with a bathroom that resembles a space capsule. For a day's layover (day rates available), an early check-in after a redeye (noon), or a very early flight (24 hour shuttle), it fits the bill. The best thing about this hotel is its proximity to Gatwick Manor, which is a very pleasant pub with excellent grub. The only complaints I have are the hard pillows and harder bed. After 12 hours in the air, a hot shower, a couple of pints, and a full tummy, however, I didn't much mind.

Comments