International Students House

Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 7 reviews

Tags

Study Abroad Budget Travel Work Abroad
See Amenities

Strongly do NOT recommend.

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 7, 2010

100% this is the poorest form of communication with staffing. They tell me one thing and do another.

1. To get my sheets changed, they told me to undo them from the bed and lay it on top.
- I did exactly that. This morning I walked in and had a note on my bed stating "You must fold your sheets on top of your bed in order to receive new ones. We will not give you new ones at this time." I guess I will sleep in my dirty sheets, thanks.

2. They told me I could leave my luggage here while away.
- I depended on that 100% agreement. Two days before departure, they told me I cannot do that and their staff was wrong. Now I have no where to leave my belongings, wonderful. Hope I can find something before I'm gone for three weeks.

100% the rudest staff I have met, accept for a few nice, brain dead ones.

They are rude and they judge me. I accidentally left my hair iron on while I was away for 10 minutes.
- 5 people came up to me saying that they "heard I left it on" as if it was gossip.
- The maintenance guy came to my room and scolded me stating "Do you think I'm kidding," to a 30 year old woman. I'm pretty sure I didn't mean to, sir.

If you're not Christian and don't want to be judged, I suggest you stay far, far away. Plus it's very expensive for nothing. Might as well rent a flat for 100 pounds cheaper.

Horrible Communication

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 7, 2010

2. They told me I could leave my luggage here while away.

100% the rudest staff I have met, accept for a few nice, brain dead ones.

bluejaxx's Profile Photo

Cheap and in the Center of London

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 26, 2007

I stayed here the first time when I was on BUNAC work abroad. It is a great place to meet students travelers, and other people on work abroad programs and every roommate I have ever had has been very nice. There are 4 beds to most rooms but you can get a room with 2 beds or a single if you pay more. You will be sharing a bathroom with everyone else on the floor so be sure to bring a towel and soap and have a toilettry bag with you. There are also long stay flats available. The facilities are very clean and there are an abundance of ammenities, cafeteria, internet cafe, travel center, and theatre and bar and 24 hour desk service staffed with former young travlers that will provide you with directions and information on attractions. There is a phone in every room but you must put down a deposit if you want to use it and they give you a special code to log into the phone. I would recommend it to young travelers and people on work abroad programs looking for an affordable clean and centrally located place to stay. Dont bring a big suitcase though because there are 4 floors and no elevator

Unique Quality: You get 15 minutes of free time at the internet cafe and one free food voucher worth 2.50 pounds (or 4 dollars US) for every day you stay. You also get a voucher for 1 free drink in the bar.

Directions: Closest Tube is the Great Portland Street Tube Station on the Circle Line/Hammersmith and City line/ and Metropolitan Line in Central London. It is a 10 minute walk to Oxford Street

brazilnut30's Profile Photo

Lee Abbey!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 21, 2004

It wasa great place to stay for cheap compared to other places plus you meet a lot of Europena students. The workers are your age and veryf riendly and helpful. One of the workers is a great friend so that always helps!!

Unique Quality: My room was fine and it is in a great location for what i needed to see. I got some great opportunities to explore on my own. It is located close to Holland park....

daryll's Profile Photo

London's Best Hostel

by written on November 19, 2002

It's very convenient, cheap, and clean. (3C)
You able to meets lots of people around the world at this place.

Unique Quality: They got a fitness centre, cybercafe, classes and events happenings, cafetaria, toilets all around.

Directions: Opposite the Main Building of Great Portland Street (Underground)

larsy's Profile Photo

International Student House

by written on September 12, 2002

9 pounds to 22 pounds

Unique Quality: Much better than I expected it to be for $22 on a major holiday. I stayed in a two bedroom for the fist few nights and it was just a spacious as the $269 a night 2 bed hotel I stayed in in New York. The only thing was it had a separate bath but it was a tub/shower with a locking door, so It wasn't bad. The last days I spent in a 4 bed hostel room and that wasn't too bad either, those had large showers near them but I just treked to the nicer bath on the fourth floor You also get a 2 pound breakfast voucher and 30 minutes of free internet time and a half price drink at the ever-so-interesting Uno Mundo bar. Its also a very secure place.

Directions: Great Portland Street about five steps from the Underground station

danielle72's Profile Photo

International Student's House

by written on August 26, 2002

It costs about £19 to share a 4 bed room and that includes a decent breakfast. Not really that bad, but not really that good, either.

Unique Quality: This place is HUGE. There is a gym, an internet cafe, a bar, a canteen, really crappy showers, a TravelCUTs...

Directions: 229 Great Portland St. across the street from the Great Portland Street Tube Station. 0207-631-8300 www.ish.org.uk

Nearby International Students House

• Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Buckingham Palace
Piccadilly
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Driving in London
Food and Drink
Pigeons
Getting around
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Eating, Drinking and socialising
Chiquito, Leicester Square
Soho and the West End
London Dungeon
Tourist Traps
Theatre and Shows (including tickets)
Miracles, Cockfosters