Jesmond Dene Hotel

Adventure Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Sky Diving
See Amenities
DAO's Profile Photo

PUBIC HAIR EVERYWHERE

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 25, 2014

OK. Let’s get this over quickly. This is one of the most frustrating, weird and disgusting places I have ever stayed at in London. That says a lot considering I have stayed in over 100 hotels in London over a 30 year period. And the worst part is that this place is highly rated on Trip Advisor. Why? Seriously I have never been 1 ½ late and felt sick trying to get to work form a hotel in London. To be fair I booked this crazy place not realising I was signing up to a room with a shared bathroom. For the price, ratings and advance purchase – I could have stayed at a 4 star hotel with a pool. Yes , I saw the reviews on T.A. and I had no idea they could charge that much for a basic room. And I do mean basic. It was at the top of what seemed like a zillion stairs, was absolutely boiling hot, tiny and seemed to have almost nothing in it. Sitting on the bed revealed no chance of a comfortable sleep. When I mountain climbed back down the many stairs to reception for an ironing board – they gave the world’s smallest (pictured) and the iron was not clean.

Then I had a look in my shared bathroom. Mouldy curtains and the shower and sink looked like the pubic hair fairy had been decorating for a special occasion. I have never seen anything quite like this and yes, I have had shared bathrooms before.

Returning to my room I realised that there were no real amenities at all. It is the first accommodation in London I have ever stayed at where there were no coffee and tea making facilities in the room. In fact there was NO room in the room. I kept falling over everything and my small roller bag. There was a sink bizarrely and that was helpful the next morning. There was also a window and I did contemplate throwing myself out. This place is a joke, but the joke was on me.

The next morning I realised I was competing with 2 French couples from the other 2 rooms sharing my hotel. I could hear them shouting at each other and they went one by one. And they were in no hurry. I had to wait 1 ½ hours to not only shave and shower – but also to use the toilet. 1 ½ hours in the morning. Let’s just say I wouldn’t want to wash my hands in that sink in my room. When I did get into the steamy bathroom, the Pubic Hair Fairy had obviously thrown a drunken party for a lot of guests. She has decorated the entire room with appropriately.
The worst was I saw some of the expensive rooms with their own bathrooms – see the last picture and you will see how tiny even the pricey rooms are.

All in all you can do better than this place in terms of a lower price, your own bathroom, a bigger room, a decent bed and some room in your room.

My advice – avoid this place like a contagious plague.

Unique Quality:
• Tiny rooms and bad beds
• Family run? Since when are foreign students family?
• 20 rooms of varying descriptions
• Walking distance to Kings Cross/St. Pancras
• Seems to attract hairy customers
• Free Wi-Fi
• “…proud of our unparalleled level of cleanliness” –I don’t agree
• Free breakfast if you book on their website
• Dirty steam iron and small ironing board
• A complete joke in my opinion

Directions:
TRAIN & TUBE:
King's Cross St Pancras – (National Rail, Eurostar, Circle, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria)
London Euston Station – (national rail, Northern, Victoria, London Overground)

Nearby Jesmond Dene Hotel

5 Photos of Jesmond Dene Hotel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Jesmond Dene Hotel

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Hyde Park
Camden Town, Lock and Market
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Train / Bus Stations
Souvenirs
Driving in London
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Department stores
Trains
Music, video, DVD's etc.
Pigeons
Warnings and Dangers
Public Transport (not taxis)
Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Brick Lane