Jesmond Dene Hotel

Jesmond Dene Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

• DAO's Profile Photo

PUBIC HAIR EVERYWHERE

OK. Let’s get this over quickly. This is one of the most frustrating, weird and disgusting places I have ever stayed at in London. That says a lot considering I have stayed in over 100 hotels in London over a 30 year period. And the worst part is that this place is highly rated on Trip Advisor. Why? Seriously I have never been 1 ½ late and felt sick trying to get to work form a hotel in London. To be fair I booked this crazy place not realising I was signing up to a room with a shared bathroom. For the price, ratings and advance purchase – I could have stayed at a 4 star hotel with a pool. Yes , I saw the reviews on T.A. and I had no idea they could charge that much for a basic room. And I do mean basic. It was at the top of what seemed like a zillion stairs, was absolutely boiling hot, tiny and seemed to have almost nothing in it. Sitting on the bed revealed no chance of a comfortable sleep. When I mountain climbed back down the many stairs to reception for an ironing board – they gave the world’s smallest (pictured) and the iron was not clean.

Then I had a look in my shared bathroom. Mouldy curtains and the shower and sink looked like the pubic hair fairy had been decorating for a special occasion. I have never seen anything quite like this and yes, I have had shared bathrooms before.

Returning to my room I realised that there were no real amenities at all. It is the first accommodation in London I have ever stayed at where there were no coffee and tea making facilities in the room. In fact there was NO room in the room. I kept falling over everything and my small roller bag. There was a sink bizarrely and that was helpful the next morning. There was also a window and I did contemplate throwing myself out. This place is a joke, but the joke was on me.

The next morning I realised I was competing with 2 French couples from the other 2 rooms sharing my hotel. I could hear them shouting at each other and they went one by one. And they were in no hurry. I had to wait 1 ½ hours to not only shave and shower – but also to use the toilet. 1 ½ hours in the morning. Let’s just say I wouldn’t want to wash my hands in that sink in my room. When I did get into the steamy bathroom, the Pubic Hair Fairy had obviously thrown a drunken party for a lot of guests. She has decorated the entire room with appropriately.
    The worst was I saw some of the expensive rooms with their own bathrooms – see the last picture and you will see how tiny even the pricey rooms are.

All in all you can do better than this place in terms of a lower price, your own bathroom, a bigger room, a decent bed and some room in your room.

My advice – avoid this place like a contagious plague.

Unique Quality:
    • Tiny rooms and bad beds
    • Family run? Since when are foreign students family?
    • 20 rooms of varying descriptions
    • Walking distance to Kings Cross/St. Pancras
    • Seems to attract hairy customers
    • Free Wi-Fi
    • “…proud of our unparalleled level of cleanliness” –I don’t agree
    • Free breakfast if you book on their website
    • Dirty steam iron and small ironing board
    • A complete joke in my opinion

Directions:
    TRAIN & TUBE:
    King's Cross St Pancras – (National Rail, Eurostar, Circle, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria)
    London Euston Station – (national rail, Northern, Victoria, London Overground)

More about Jesmond Dene Hotel

WE LOVED THE JESMOND DENE

by TripAdvisor Member ChasnNC

My husband and i stayed here after completing a 2 1/2 week tour of the UK. We checked in and imediately knew we had found a gem. We had booked thru Travelocity (HUGE MISTAKE, we won't do that again cause they screwed it up) but the owner, Jason, did everything in his power to accomodate us, even though he had a packed house. He assured us that we would have a bed to sleep on that night, and told us to go have a great day (they even moved all of our luggage to our room.)

The rooms were spotless, and comfy, and we had a full English breakfast every morning. Wonderful service.!!!!

We were supposed to fly out of Heathrow Sunday August 13th, but no, that didn't happen. Heathrow was mayhem. My flight was cancelled and we didn't have reservations with the Jesmond past the 13th. AGAIN, Jason assured us that he could juggle things around to make sure we had a place to stay. My husband and Jason stayed up until 1am, trying to re-book a flight home for me. Jason used HIS computer in the office and took the time to call British Air to confirm my flight home.

Talk about going above and beyond.
We can't say enough about the Jesmond, or Jason, or his staff.

BRAVO !!!!!!!!

Free Wifi!

by TripAdvisor Member huang11

Our family of three enjoyed the stay at Jesmond Dene very much. The rooms are small, but very clean, and modern. This was the only hotel that offered free wireless on our entire trip. We would definitely think of you if we ever came back to London.

I recommend booking the superior rooms as they have ensuite showers and toilets, the latest rooms are superb. They also come with fans.

They also have a great website and email response is super fast!

Great budget hotel choice

by TripAdvisor Member MarianinColorado

We just returned from 10 days at the Jesmond Dene...our original planned three days plus seven extra nights we had to spend when British Air cancelled our flight. This hotel is really a bed and breakfast facility. Rooms are small, clean and well-maintained. Bathrooms were miniscule. Staff was very friendly and helpful and the manager even took over re-booking our return flight home. Easy walk to Kings Cross Underground and train station. Choice of cooked English breakfast or cereal. Highly recommended.

Practical, Comfortable and Friendly

by TripAdvisor Member janfish

My husband and I (both in our 60s) had an excellent 10 day experience at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. I e-mailed them several times before our trip to London and they were very prompt to answer all of my questions. Our en suite room was small but that's common in Europe. It looked to be newly refurbished with a very comfortable bed. There were great reading lights over the bed and a table fan was provided. Each day we would have their full English breakfast which would see us through until dinner. The Jesmond Dene is located a short block to the major subway/rail station of King's Cross-St. Pancras. We explored many parts of London using the "tube" on our Oyster passes. In fast, we arrived and departed from the hotel to Heathrow Airport on the Picadilly Line which goes to this station. The hotel was full of foreign travelers and they were booked up nearly every night. I recommend making a reservation at least 2 months in advance. The price at 65 GBP with breakfast was excellent !

Terrific hotel for the reasonable price

by TripAdvisor Member clcgrand47

After searching and searching over the internet for a nice reasonable place to stay in London I came across Jesmond Dene on Argyle Street . The reason we booked with them was because of all the nice reviews about how clean the room was, and very friendly staff. It was exactly like the reviews. Now for my review:

Very Close to the train and tube. Convienent location. Staff Darren helped us to confirm our tour with Evans Tours (Well worth the $$) Included lovely dinner in pub, cruise on the Thames. Our room was small with private bath. Could have used a curtain on the bathroom window but we improvized. We had a comfortable queen size bed large open window and fan and tv. The restuarant was very cute, clean but opened at 7am and we had to leave before breakfast was ready. We ate continental syle instead. We have no complaints, just that it was excellent for the price and spent the difference outside the hotel at the E Restuarant in Westminister. Very pretty quite serene area, ate outside, walked to the canal at the Waterside Inn. Also try the pub, Prince Alfred & Formosa.
Darren was very helpful. He called our airlines to confirm our flight and gave us many helpful suggestions to get around town. May I suggest one thing. You could bring a small alarm clock and washcloth along. There are no wakeup calls. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't want to spend a fortune just to sleep. We would gladly go again
Tom and Cindy cotter
Pennsylvania USA

Reallly liked this place

by TripAdvisor Member Mirtha

My son, daughter and I stayed in this hotel last weekend and had a very pleasant stay. It is very conveniently situated very close to Kings Cross station.
I found the owners very helpful with directions and recommending restaurants.
The room though small was spotlessly clean and comfortable.
Breakfast too was excellent and the staff were nice and friendly.
I would definitely stay here again.
For London I felt the hotel was good value and while Kings Cross is not a posh area, it is very easy to get to nicer places for an evening out because of the proximity to the tube.
Martha

Awesome Jesmond

by TripAdvisor Member DrGee

The hotel staff were great, friendly, helpful, and courteous. The food was very good. The room clean and in order. I highly recommend this hotel for travelers lilke me. Money is well worth more than the service.

Dr. Rick Guanzon
Manila, Philippines

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Millbee

The Location was minutes from the Kings Cross Tube, which has a ton of connections to take you all over London. There were plenty of places to eat at near by. The staff were friendly and helpful. The size of the room was good and had lots of places to put our things, including a large closet and desk.. We had a full ensuite in ours. Our ensuite was somewhat tricky, water from the shower would get everywhere, including the bedroom carpet. Our beds were made everyday, and every other day we would get new bedding and fresh towels. There is no Do Not Disturb sign, so if we wanted to sleep in, the cleaning lady would be knocking at our door. Our mattress was uncomfortable, with springs popping and digging in. They served a great breakfast every morning. For the most part the hotel was quiet except on busy weekend mornings, and we never felt as if our belongongs weren't safe. You get 2 keys - one for the front door, and one to your room. So it was like living in an appartment - which I liked. I would have given this hotel a higher rating if - we had a more comfy mattress, and a less hectic shower situation.

very satisfied

by TripAdvisor Member sherlis

We spent 4 nights at hotel in the beginning of September, 2006.
We are very satisfied with hotel and hotel's staff. We got whatever we expected to get: clean room and bathroom, tasty breakfast, cam neighborhood and convenient location.
We will definitely stay at this hotel next time we come in London and recommend it to our friends.

Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member YOWKAS2

Very close to the train station and the breakfast was amazing!
service was top notch also!

Room was more than expected!
would stay here again if visiting London.

The Kings Stores pub - LondonThe Kings Stores pub - London

Interior (3)Interior (3)

Post WWII thick steel and concrete inner lining.Post WWII thick steel and concrete inner lining.

View from St Paul CathedralView from St Paul Cathedral

Stay in Borough area or Shadwell?

by happyhormones

I'm choosing between two places to stay in London . The first is in Borough area and costs ₤67/night. The other is between Shadwell and WhiteChapel stations, and this costs less at ₤50/night. Which would be a better choice? I'm staying for 3 or 4 nights, for leisure. Thank you

by happyhormones

That's 67 pounds (Borough) and 50 pounds (Shadwell) per night. I don't know why the pound symbol didn't appear in my original post.

by puerto_lover

Difficult to answer. Both areas can be good. They are both within walking distance of the City of London with all its interesting sights including the Tower of London.
Shadwell: Towards the East of London there is quite a lot of transport development work getting ready for the Olympics. The main arena is further east (Stratford) but it is possible that this could have some effect on your transport. However am sure that things work all right.
Some information about 2012 Olympics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Park,_London
Borough is quieter and you may be close to the Jubilee Underground line which is linked to the main shopping areas around Oxford Street.
I would opt to stay in Borough (without knowing the accommodation amenities) as this part of London has a fascination for me. Originally it was low lying marshy land that did not see too much building. London was built north of the Thames. During Shakespeare's day around 1600, the Globe Theatre was built and the area was known as the entertainment district where 'beere bayting' (bear baiting) took place and much 'wassailing'.
Of course these days none of the bear baiting goes on. And on Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays you have the Borough Market to discover new foods and other things. http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk

by bossanochance

I agree: Borough's more diverse and interesting. It's part of Southwark, which has a fascinating history and a lot going on. It's near London Bridge, with easy access to St Paul's Cathedral, Shakespeare's Globe, the Museum of London,the Tate Modern, the South Bank Arts Centre and more. Borough market's worth a mention too. The area of Whitechapel you mentioned is mostly red-hot Bengali restaurants, wholesale clothes merchants and a few run-down pubs.

by benazer

I live very near Borough and also recommend that area,10 minute walk from Elephand and castle ,10 minute bus ride to big ben from there.

by happyhormones

Thanks guys..I have decided on the Borough one

Comments