Jesmond Hotel

63 Gower Street, London, WC1E 6HJ, United Kingdom

More about Jesmond Hotel

Even Better Than Expected

by TripAdvisor Member SeacayII

I Stayed with my family of 4 at the Jesmond for 8 nights in April 07 and was very satisfied with the accomodations, location, service and value. The family runs this hotel with great pride and professionalism and is very much involved in running the business. Before booking at the Jesmond I read alot about London and read reviews of other hotels on TripAdvisor. I was impressed by the well deserved good reviews this hotel recieved. This was our first trip to London and we were prepared for high prices, smaller rooms, shared facilities, and stairs. The Jesmond hotel is a very well run and clean establishment. The beds and rooms were small but well furnished. We had a bath insuite but the multiple shared facilities in the hall were very convienient and clean. The included breakfast was very generous and the service was excellent. This is not a five star hotel nor does it claim to be. If you are looking for American style rooms and accomodations you should look elsewhere and pay accordingly. If you are looking for a nice quiet B&B, comparitively lower priced, in a great location, where the pride of ownership is obvious, then the Jesmond Hotel is where I would stay.

Hooray for the Jesmond

by TripAdvisor Member twinsmumMarkham

I stayed in a triple room (3 single beds) with ensuite bathroom. I was in London for a week of fun with my two friends. The Jesmond was ideal for us. The room was very clean with a nice new bathroom and excellent shower. Our room was up one flight of stairs and overlooked the lovely garden. The included full English breakfast was delicious (eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, toast, tomato), served on Portmeirion china. There was also a bowl of fresh fruit, cereal, coffee and tea. There is a a lounge area with tv and free internet access, which made keeping in touch with home very easy. The location couldn't have been better. Goodge or Euston Square tube stations only a few minutes walk, and great pubs, restaurants, shopping nearby. I can't imagine there could be a better hotel for the price in central London.

Five stars for the Jesmond!

by TripAdvisor Member OttawaDave

Our family ( myself, son and his girlfriend) stayed at the Jesmond on May 3 and again from May 11 - 15. The rooms were clean and comfortable with ensuite facilities for the May 11 -15 period of our stay. There's a phone in the lobby and a TV and full internet service in the basement where a full English breakfast is served from 7:30 - 9:30am. Another great asset about this establishment is it's superb location. It's a short walk to the British Museum and also well within walking distance of the Oxford / Regent Street shopping areas, Convent Garden and numerous pubs and restaurants. The Goodge St. Tube station is a ifve minute walk away. I'd enthusiastically recommend the Jesmond to anyone visiting London.

Fantastic! Clean, friendly and would certainly stay again.

by TripAdvisor Member fayester88

I stayed at the Jesmond in May 2007 for one night. I work in London quite regularly and my mother also often comes along to do some shopping. With the prices of chain hotels rising substantially and after exploring TripAdvisor I decided to book with the Jesmond.

Upon arriving we found that booking in was quick and polite. We'd booked a twin room and made our way to the allocated room. We found we were in a four bed room! The was also an ensuite as requested. The room was absolutely spotless; and I'm really very fussy about cleanliness. The towels were soft, which made a change from the skin grating version often found in many of the hotels I have stayed in. We were on the ground floor at the front of the hotel (room two I think) with large windows overlooking Gower Street and we certainly had no problems with traffic noise.

Breakfast was lovely and also plentiful. The basement breakfast room is also site of a TV room in the evening and you can find a PC there with internet access. This room is also well lit and you certainly don't feel as though you are in the basement.

All in all I will certainly stay at the Jesmond again. I am working in London for two days very shortly and tried to book in a month in advance, but they were all out of ensuite rooms. Their popularity speaks volumes, and although this time my booking can't happen, I will certainly be booking there again well in advance. A really good family run hotel.

Overall, this was excellent value for money and the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. Last Decemeber I stayed at the Langham which was fabulous and although a very different type of property, I think the Jesmond is just as clean and pleasant!

Great value hotel

by TripAdvisor Member magicalgal

Stayed here for the weekend of 1st June -3rd June 2007 with my sister and mother. We booked a triple bedded room and we were pleasantly surprised when the the room we had had 2 single beds and 1 double. The beds were very comfortable and the room was large enough for the three of us. Excellent breakfast,staff terrific, loved the garden and would definately stay here again. Very easy to find and excellent location for everything. It had a very homely feel to it, I have stayed in hotels that have been a lot more expensive but much preferred this one.

It's really the best you can ask for at a b&b

by TripAdvisor Member italianyc84

I've stayed at several b&bs in London; I think I finally found my "home" there. I felt very comfortable and very safe. I had a single room ensuite, which was fine, and I was able to use my laptop. There's no lift, but I don't think I've ever seen a b&b that had a lift. They did bring my VERY heavy suitcase upstairs for me :-) They were extremely accomodating to my sort of insane schedule, and that was much appreciated! breakfast was great.

I already booked a return stay for September. See you then!

Affordable for big families

by TripAdvisor Member IndiaWith4Kids

By all means, stay at the Jesmond. Where else can you get a taste of Dickens' London and a room and meal for just one price? We kept our sense of humor and enjoyed the lumpy beds, the microscopic bathroom (we stayed in the "quint" on the first floor), and even the way that the proprietress told our son not to have any more juice at breakfast. It's London, and if you have a big family and don't want to spend any time in your room, this could be the place for you.

Found A Gem!

by TripAdvisor Member sparker1

Four of us stayed recently at the Jesmond Hotel in July 2007. We had room #2 on the first floor - a quad with en-suite. The location is fantastic. Gower Street is in close proximity to many "tube" stations and very close to Tottenham Court Road which has several pubs, a pharmacy, grocery stores, and restuarants/pubs. It is also only a 15 minute walk to Oxford Circus and the theatre district.
We arrived early from Gatwick Airport and the staff politely let us store our belongings as our room was not ready. The room was massive: a double bed, 2 single beds, a couch, and lots of space to store luggage. The bathroom was small (normal in Europe) but very clean as was the rest of the room. Satellite TV was an unexpected plus as well.
Breakfast was great. The staff graciously made extra toast when asked! Fresh fruit and fruit, cereal, hot items such as bacon, sausage, and eggs. Free internet as well.
All of the staff was very helpful but in particular the gentleman who worked there was friendly. He gave us lots of practical tips about London, especially getting into Wimbledon (we scored Court 2 seats .. thanks!).
We would not hesitate in staying there again if the opportunity presents itself.

Dont get confused....

by TripAdvisor Member CanadianGemstar

I stayed at the Jesmond Hotel by mistake, I thought I had booked at the Jesmond Dene Hotel in Kings Cross. After speaking to the owner it has happened before.

As the names were so similar you can see the problem.

The Jesmond hotel is on Gower Street which is heavily used by buses which can create extra noise and pollution.

Overall nice hotel with central location however not too keen on the fact that it on a main road.

Beware that you do not confuse this hotel with the Jesmond Dene Hotel in Kings Cross, as it is a very easy mistake however now visiting both of the hotels I know which one I prefer.

Good value, great location and manager friendly

by TripAdvisor Member mooreholidays

Our family of 4 (parents + 2 big teenagers) stayed in a quad room (Rm 8) with shared facilities 11th July. We had also stayed at the Ridgemont next door. Both hotels very similar. The room was a good size with queen bed and 2 singles. Tea & coffee + jug in room. They are clearly making improvements with new beds (which were very comfortable so disregard previous comments!) nice bedspreads and definitely clean. There are bathrooms a floor up and a floor down. One older & small (but quite clean) & the top shower has been updated so spacious. Both had good water pressure & lots of hot water. Apparently they are changing most rooms to en suite over the next 12 months or so. The location is good, close to tube & lots of bus routes. The manager was very nice and helpful and keen to assist. Carried my bags up the stairs (no lifts) & we left luggage after checking out. The breakfast (full english) & breakfast staff were nice. Cost us £100 for 4 people so good value and would definitely stay again. For this price hotel would recommend to others.

Comments