21 Lowndes Street, Belgravia, Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 9ES, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• What a history!

In the days of the cold war this is the hotel where the American, and Russian spys stayed. I was introduced to the hotel by a client who also happened to be a "spook" working for a major electonics company. My entrance on my first visit to the terrific dining room with my client was marked by the sound of thick Russian accented broken English with a, "Hi Harry'! Haven't seen you since Jakarta. Where you been?" "Boris, you know where I've been. Let's talk later!" While I enjoyed my first meal at the Loundes, my luggage in my room was ransacked as someone needed to know just who this new guy is and why is he with Harry.

Unique Quality: This is a wonderful hotel with a great history. The food is very good for hotel food, and a very pleasant staff to take care of you.

More about Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel

First impression is wow!

by TripAdvisor Member lufcpaul1

The Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel has only just reopened. Yes they have some problems, but they are minor.

My wife and I stayed at the hotel December 28 – January 1st, 2007. We arrived at 8:00am and got a room straight away. The door and reception staff could not have been any better.

First impression is wow; it is very bright, contemporary, fashionable and welcoming.
Our room was on the third floor, with a balcony over-looking the Halkin Arcade. The quality of the rooms is first class.

The reception is small and sufficient, but a nice change.

The restaurant and bar are v.good, breakfast is cooked to order. The bar area is again small, but adequate.

Great location and with the sister hotel Jumeirah Towers only 50 yards away (you can use their facilities) we had the best of two hotels!

I booked direct on the hotels website and got a great deal.

Not a bad choice at all,

by TripAdvisor Member flummery

especially if you get a discounted price, but also not as good as you might expect--as I did--from the many glowing reviews. Yes, it's in a good location. Close to lots of upscale shopping, many fine restaurants and, a benefit too often overlooked in my view, quite a few excellent pubs. It is also close to the tube and blessedly (for us strenuous daytime sight-seers) quiet at night.

Nor are these its only positives. The bed is comfy. AC is available for those muggy nights. The plumbing works well, with good water pressure and no knocking pipes. The rooms are sizable enough not to feel closed-in and are well, if not luxuriously, appointed.

A small fridge is provided but so jammed with costly hotel comestibles that you have very lttle room for items you might wish to purchase at more reasonable prices just around the corner at the local grocery. Guests do receive a complementary map of London, but no instant tea or coffee. Breakfast, however, is good and plentiful, if you can get what you ordered and in anything like timely fashion. System seems lacking.

One morning, my wife and I had to repeat our order three times and I never did get part of what I requested. Room service also needed to be prodded a time or three and housekeeping was, to put it mildly, uneven. We didn't get our glassware replaced for three days. The rug was never vacuumed during our stay. Some staff seems stretched too thin and others appear to be merely going through the motions. Everyone was pleasant, however.

We got a good price via BA--full breakfast included--so I felt the hotel was a reasonable value. But at anything like full price, in my opinion, you can find better choices.

Very good hotel if you get a discounted room

by TripAdvisor Member itzard

One of the better hotels in London. But....only if you get a special disounted rate. You should be able to get them untill the refurbishment starts in 2006. Great location. Quiet. Comfy rooms with furntiure being a little bit tired. Rooms are actually like the ones on their website.
Breakfast is very nice and staff is just great. Keep in mind that this is a hotel from same chain as the fabeled 6 star Burj al Arab.
Would I stay here when I had to pay rack rates? No, go to the Sofitel instead. When discounted, the best hotel in London for around 120 pound a night.

Great location, great hotel

Fantastic Hotel, really great...
Can't wait to go back next year when the refurbishment is done...
Arrived at the hotel to be greeted by warm and friendly reception who made us feel really welcome to the Hotel.
I was so suprised by the feeling of family and home that the hotel so obviously tries to give.

Had a chance to speak to the Hotels operations manager who explained that the hotel is closing for 9 months for a total refurbishment. Really looking forward to seeing the end product. The sample room looks stunning and the new facilities will really bring the hotel right up to date.

You can tell that the staff really love working there and that's just so typical of Jumeirah.

Great Hotel, superior location

We stayed at the Lowndes for a a week for our tenth wedding anniversary. We arranged the stay through British Airways which offered a 65% discount on the room off rack rates. The hotel is in a very quiet area surrounded by immaculate streets and lovely buildings. The train was a five minute walk up famous Sloan street. There were many excellent restaurants within walking distance. All in all, great location. Our full breakfast was included which saved us quite a bit since it can be very expensive. The food was great wtih a good deal of variety, fresh bakery items, juice and dishes made to order. Our room was a good size, spotless with modern bath facilities and a large spacious window overlooking the lovely neighborhood. I assure you you won't regret a stay here especially if you do enough research to get a discounted rate. You'll feel like you are getting a 4 star hotel for a 1 star price.

It's been renovated - very badly.

by TripAdvisor Member Mr_E_Guest

The Lowndes used to be a fantastic little hotel - I agree with all the old reviews you see on this site. But it closed this year for rennovations and has just been re-opened. And boy has it changed.

Gone are the old-style English country hotel furnishings. In their place you have ultra modern, cold, bland, decor. Comfy it ain't.

Gone too is the beautiful lobby where you could relax, meet friends and enjoy afternoon tea. Instead they now have a huge (ultra modern, ultra trendy) bar / bistro affair. There is nowhere to sit downstairs if you aren't having a meal.

The staff have changed and their uniform now makes them look like muted versions of Easyjet staff. They do still hold the door open for you, but not if they are on their mobile.

I'm afraid the old Lowndes has gone. The new one is nowhere near as pleasant.

by TripAdvisor Member khalood

I had the opportunity to stay during the first week of opening, and I must say it was the most unorganised estabilshment (that I had to pay for).

Imagine I wanted to take a bath in the room, but there was no plug in tub, so I called reception to ask about the plug and got a reply "its on the wall" to my surprise went looking for it on the wall, couldnt find it. Called again to get "will send someone up" this gentleman arrived and also started looking on the wall, which to no avail didnt find anything, called reception and the lady decided to grace us with her presence, where by she goes to the taps and starts running the water, and says its working. Then we both say there is no way to stop the water from draining. Flabergasted the lady, turned to me and said kindly take a shower tonight becuase we are fully booked and I cant get you another plug.

This is one of many stories duing my stay. Becareful when you go.

Best bed in London?

by TripAdvisor Member charlieclown

I stayed here with no real idea of what it would be like, it was way over my budget but as it was pre-Christmas and my boss was in generous mood he upped my allowance for one week only so I decided to go somewhere a bit more upmarket than usual. Having not stayed here pre-refurb I can't really comment on how it has changed but what I can tell you is that the decor is a little weird in places, and in others very well done. The hotel is ridiculously expensive if you pay standard rates (around £350 for a basic room) but finding a decent deal will mean that you can get a great room at a not too over the top price (I paid just under half of the standard rate)..

One thing regarding the price that you need to be carfeul of though are the plentiful hidden extras - discretionary service charges added to the bill etc. which can soon mount up and tip the scales back very easily to the wrong side of a reasonable rate.

But on the good side the breakfast is superb - declicious, fresh, plenty of variety and served in a beautiflully maintained dining room. And the room - some great touches: exprresso machine, complementary bottle of Champagne on arrival, very well equipped bathroom, comfortable armchairs (how often can you say that of a hotel room?) but the piece de resistance was undoubtedly the bed. Fantastically comfortable, massive and swathed in crisp, clean, fresh bed linen - I have never slept in any other bed like it. Wonderful!

So - a modern, newly furbished hotel that is very expensive and probably struggles to justify its price if you pay full rate, but if you get a decent discount, it is well worth paying for - but be carfeful of the hidden extras on the bill. But remember that as many of them are discretionary you are not obliged to pay them.

Oh - and it is VERY close to the Knightsbridge shops - 5 minutes walk to Harvey Nic's and 10 to Harrods.

Lowndes -- all new but not all better

by TripAdvisor Member ee413

The Lowndes had been a family favorite for years, primarily due to location (around the corner from Harrods) and size (under 70 rooms) and the perfect concierge (Patrick). While none of the above has changed, everything else has! The property was closed for about a year for remodeling and unfortunately, the new Lowndes is just too modern and like every other IKEA-decorated new hotel. The tub/shower combination turned my 6'2 husband into Quasimodo and the range of rooms is very different (we were in 4 separate rooms and 1 suite -- long story. ) In one room, you actually had to take the luggage into the bathroom in order to fit by the door. The flat screen TVs were nice but a weird feature was having speakers in the bathroom that required unplugging a cable on back of the TV to turn off sound in bathroom. Overall, the hotel is nice, not what it used to be, but still nice. The staff is not what is used to be either (with the exception of wonderful Patrick). Will we be back? Maybe, but in all likelihood, I'm more likely to see what the rest of London has to offer. When I pay $300/night, I want perfection, not mediocrity.
The Lowndes has a perfect location but sometimes it's more than just location that matters!

Comments