Jurys Inn Croydon

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• pastnelsonp's Profile Photo

Nice and convinent

Stayed with high school tour group. EF tours, don't know price. Nice rooms. Good buffet(cold) each morning. Hot Available. Bar.

Unique Quality: Only 2 blocks to the Train Station for a short 15-20 minute ride into downtown. multi story, 2 elevators

Directions: Right out of the train station and a right at the first signal. Shopping district

• travelnurse21's Profile Photo

Nice hotel, helpful staff

This was a nice hotel just a little bit outside of London. The staff was quite helpful and informative about how to get around the city. There is a pretty good restaurant here, and there's also a bar. The room and the ensuite was clean. TV worked. Curtains kept falling off though, and the bed kept moving because it was on wheels. Once in the night, our power went off too! But they fixed it right away. I would stay here again.

More about Jurys Inn Croydon

Comfortable, convenient--good overall experience

by TripAdvisor Member easw

We recently stayed five nights at the Jurys Inn Croydon and were fairly pleased. We had chosen this hotel due to its proximity to the East Croydon rail station. Since there is a direct train from Gatwick Airport to East Croydon and then from East Croydon to Victoria Station, we decided it would be a good base to travel around from. Since we would also be picking up a rental car on our fourth day there, we also decided that it would allow us a place to park (in the parking garage across the road at Whitgift Centre shopping mall), without having to enter into some of the more congested areas of London.

The hotel is indeed an easy walk walk from the train station, about four (U.S) city blocks. Check-in was simple and clear-cut. I was a bit disappointed to find that the rate that I had booked did not include the English breakfast option, as I had thought it did. Certainly there are enough quick-breakfast options in the area and at Victoria Station, but the rate we were paying certainly seemed high enough to justify including breakfast, compared to the rates some have quoted here.

Our room was small, but well-appointed, with a double bed and single bed as booked (there were three people in our party). The decor was bright and colorful and furnishings included a small table with one chair, desk with chair, a small open closet area, coffee/tea making facilities (which did not work) and TV (five or six channels--can't remember exactly). There were small wall shelves in lieu of nightands by each bed, but no alarm clock. There was a hair dryer in the drawer of the desk. Our bathroom was actually quite spacious, with a tub/shower combination. There was a curious contraption (at least to us) inside the door where you insert your card key in a slot to turn the electricity on for the room. I thought it is pretty ingenious and that more American hotels should go to this energy-saving type of device! Anyway, the room and bathroom were kept quite clean during our stay, although we found the blankets on the beds looked a bit worn. Our room overlooked the side street just off of Wellesley (the YMCA was directly across from us) and while we did hear the occasional siren or street noise, it was not overwhelming.

For the most part we found personnel at the Jurys Inn to be very helpful, especially the front desk. One drawback was getting some ice every evening. We were initially directed to ask for an ice bucket and ice at the bar, but when my husband would go there in the evenings they would merely give him two tumbler glasses half-filled with ice. We went with the flow with this until our last evening, when another front desk person noticed the situation and reiterated again that the bar should have been giving us a larger container with ice. Another problem involved getting enough towels each day. Since there were three of us and the bathroom was only stocked with two bath towels each day, we would have to call every evening upon our return and request extra towels. This perplexes me--you would think that if housekeeping takes three or four bath towels from our room as dirty linen, they would replace them with the same number.

Overall this hotel met our needs for this trip and we would recommend it to those who have similar needs.

Excellent Value for Money!

by TripAdvisor Member jules_foreva

Stayed here overnight in May 2007 and really enjoyed my stay. Booked very quickly and easily through Superbreak. One of the cheapest rooms I could find in central Croydon (just round the corner from East Croydon station) and it was just great.

Really easy to find, 10 min walk max from the station. Full English Breakfast included and so for the price, it's just brilliant.

Helpful staff, clean room and public areas, comfy room and even a nice view over a bit of countryside (tough in Croydon!). If you need somewhere to stay in Croydon (or even London as East Croydon has fantastic links into London, about 15 mins if you get a fast train), it'll be hard to find better positoned hotel at this price! Will def book again 100% when going back to Croydon!

Not so great service

by TripAdvisor Member Jules2409

We chose this location so we could drive from Gatwick Airport and have use of a car whilst we were there but still have easy access to Central London by public transport and for this it was great. However the hotel was advertised as having parking and this isn't strictly speaking true, parking is a discounted rate at a nearby NCP cark park - at £7 per 24 hours this was reasonable but a bit inconvenient.

We had booked a triple room and I had expected a double & single bed, what we got was a double and a sofa bed which was not made up, I called reception immediately and we then went out for the evening when we arrived back some 5 hours later the bed was still not made up. I called reception again and was told that our room was not big enough to fit another bed in! I pointed out the sofa bed was already there and I was then told housekeeping had gone home! I pointed out we had booked & paid for a triple room and I had a 4 year old waiting to go to bed and then almost immediately reception staff came up and made up the bed.

Before breakfast the next morning I called reception to request an iron & board, we then went down for breakfast on returning the iron & board had not arrived so I called reception again and then one was delivered almost immediately but I was starting to question the level of service.

Breakfast itself was acceptable but rather like a work canteen than a hotel - tables weren't set, you helped yourself to condiments, cutlery as you went along - it hardly matters but it definitely felt budget. The hot buffet was served to you in exchange for a ticket and the portions were small and dumped on the plate - this was much better the second day so I guess it depends whose on duty.

Around 11:00 on our last night the fire alarm sounded, unfortunately I was alone with my son & so had to carry him down 11 flights of stairs - despite this I was pretty much first out and there was no fire marshalls to guide guests - I walked around to the front of the hotel where guests were milling around reception - many in nightwear - and again no organisation by staff. Even when the fire service arrived the staff made no attempt to manage the situation & we had to take the departure of the fire service as indication to go back to our rooms no annoucement was made!

We ate at the hotel one night & at £16.95 the set three course menu + coffee was good value for money though I'd say the food was acceptable rather than anything special. The children's menu at £4 was also good value for money. The staff were great, attentive and friendly and despite not so great service that is true throughout the hotel.

Mixed Emotions.....

by TripAdvisor Member jasmine10

I stayed in this Jurys on two separate occassions. I was on a month long holiday in Europe, and began and ended my journey at the Jurys.
Initially, I stayed for two nights, and found the stay acceptable. A
nice, clean hotel, just steps away from Whitgift Centre, the main shopping area in Croydon. The staff seemed friendly enough, and the service was fine. The location was decent, as it was about halfway in between Gatwick Airport and the heart of the city, about a 20 minute train ride.

Given such an uneventful experience on the way in, I decided to end my journey the same way- with a good experience. I couldn't have been
more wrong. This second visit was a 180 turn. The front desk staff was initially helpful, but subsequently rather condescending. The room attendant service was awful. Room attendants would come knocking
at 8am, and continue to knock for every half hour or so afterward. I
finally put a do not disturb sign on my door, as I allowed myself to sleep in for the last few days of the trip. The next morning, it was almost as though the ladies made a concious effort to be loud and disruptive in the room next to me, and even OPENED my door, despite the sign....This disruptive behavior continued for at least an hour, keeping in mind that it is 9am...so I finally confronted the girl as she noisily passed outside my door for the umpteenth time...She was incredibly rude, and I was equally disturbed by the experience. The next few mornings were better, but still noisy, as the staff begrudgingly just left new supplies outside my door instead of coming
in at a decent hour.... say, around early lunchtime.

I stayed at the Jurys this last time for 5 nights, and had service in
my room once. I didn't report the incident, as I was, thereafter, fine with the lack of intrusion after my negative experience with the
staff.

Other than this dissappointing experience, the hotel is in a good location, and the rooms are clean for a fairly decent value. To do it
again, I would have picked another place. There are too many hotels to choose from to have a negative experience! Maybe I just caught a week of bad service....?

Comfy 3 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member euine

As other reviewers write hotel is located quite close to East Croydon Station (~7 min of calm walk). From hotel to the station you can also take a tram (1 stop). If Croydon is your main destination than it'd be just perfect. But going to London is also not a mess( there are frequent trains to Victoria station and less frequent to Charing Cross, London Bridge, Waterloo East etc). Even more when I've been there the tube was on strike and it did not affect me as I had a travel card (6,7 pounds per day includes trains, tube, bus, metro and tram in Croydon) and there are quite many train stations. The surroundings of the hotel are not beautiful at all but the location is very convenient as shopping center is on the other side of road and after it there is a pedestrian shopping street.

Hotel is quite clean. Our room was bigger than one can usually get in 3 star hotel in Europe, It was quite light and always kept clean. I would put there a small wardrobe as there is not enough space for clothing.

Breakfast was included in our rate and it was really nice English breakfast. In the same place in the evening, there is a canteen-type restaurant. I've used high speed internet access (10pounds per 24h) with my laptop. Laudry service is also available.

The hotel was a part of our theatre break deal booked a week in advance at Jurys site. Our average rate per night was 57,25 pounds per night without theatre it'd be 94!. If you book really in advance you get a good rate.

Nothing special .. but OK

by TripAdvisor Member AngelaThompson

I stayed here for one night (2 days) on a training course.

I arrived at 9am, but was not able to check in until after 2pm, but they stored my bags away. So it really wasn’t a problem.

The hotel is in easy reach of East Croydon station, and had loads of bars a restaurants near by so you are not stuck in the hotel.

My room was OK, it clean, but did smell a bit like an old peoples home.

The bed was really comfortable, with clean bedding.

The hotel was a bit noisy, but that was due to my neighbors, so not a problem with the hotel. The hotel is situated on a main road, but I couldn’t hear the traffic / buses at all.

The food at the hotel was OK, nothing special.

We used the business centre for our training course, it was OK but only OK. One fault was that one of the members of staff walked into our meeting to ask us to complete menu requests for the evening meal, bit bizarre, not sure why they couldn’t wait until we had our break and then spoke to the course facilitator.

This hotel was nice, and good to stay in for "Free"!! but wouldn't pay to stay here out of my own money, I would personally expect a bit more for £70!!!

Pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member rg

The hotel manager, Donal, takes great care to be sure all of his guests have what they need and want. Having said that, we wanted for nothing while staying at Jurys Inn last week. In fact, we were quite pleasantly surprised by the quality of what's listed as a "three star" hotel. The hotel and the rooms are very clean, the lobby is beautiful, and the breakfast is fabulous. We didn't venture into London while staying, but the train station (underground or tube?) was just around the corner, very convenient. I would totally recommend Jurys Inn... in fact we're going back to the area next month and have already rebooked a room there. Thank you Donal for your hands-on managerial approach. It's both refreshing and very much appreciated. (Roni & Jon)

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member Keef74

We were looking for a cheap hotel in South London for a group of three. Weren't looking for anything posh, just wanted to avoid staying in a complete flea pit. This hotel was great as they had family rooms that allowed us to all stay in one room. Price was good (£32 each including breakfast) and we were pleased with the general quality of the hotel. The reception area is clean and modern and the rooms reminded me of a travel inn.
Breakfast was very good, although only served until 10.00 on a Sunday.
The only minor difficulty was the car parking. You have to park in the NCP opoosite, but there is a discount if you are staying in the hotel (£7/day). You just have to make sure that you find the right car park as there are three along the same very busy main road through Croydon!
This isn't a hotel to choose if you are visitng central London, but if you need to be in Croydon or south London and want a reasonable hotel, this place isn't bad.

Comments