Wrights Lane, Kensington, London, W8 5SP, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

Rated 14% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• planxty's Profile Photo

Huge, central and pleasant

Living in London, I don't often stay in central hotels but recently I had occasion to stay at the Kensington Close Hotel and very pleasant it was too. I used to work in this area of London and always regarded the hotel as being a little rundown but a recent refurbishment has put paid to that. It is spotless and has obviously had a lot of money spent on it.

The Kensington Close appears to cater a lot to coach parties and there were two checking in as I did. Despite this, the pleasant and very efficient reception staff dealt with me quickly and I went in search of my room. I had never realised just how far back this place extended, it is absolutely huge. As you can see from the photo, the corridors seem to go on forever. This is not even the full length of the place but I really couldn't be bothered to walk the whole distance just to take a photo. Please take my word for it.

The room was well-appointed with all the things you would expect, flat-screen TV, comfortable bed, tea and coffee making facilities etc. The bathroom would be more properly called a shower room as there was no actual bath if this is a consideration for you. It was spotless with decent toiletries and even at the peak time early in the morning there was plenty of piping hot water.

One thing to mention is that unless you are on an expenses account steer clear of the room service food. I had a look at the menu and it is very expensive even by central London hotel standards. There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel which I did not sample as I literally just slept there and left. Should you be feeling energetic there is a swimming pool and gym and if you do not there is a spa offering various treatments.

Located a few minutes walk from Kensington High Street the Kensington Close offers a good base for central London.

Unique Quality: Nothing unique, just a decent, recently refurbished and comfortable hotel.

Directions: Nearest Tube, High Street Kensington.

• Great Service, Excellent Location, Great Rooms!

This hotel is by far outstanding for the price and location! the arestaff friendly, it's coupled with efficient service, great facilities and contemporary and chic rooms with great corporate prospects! I saw some of the mixed reviews on this website and was a little doubtful with everything I had read; however, from staying there this weekend it has completely changed my mind!
    I had a few special requests as my partner and I are both vegetarians and there were a few other requests also. The lady at reservations was not only very efficient and prompt in her email responses, but was extremely resourceful and did
    everything to help us! She had even got in touch with various other departments in the hotel in order for our requests to be satisfied. It's so easy to find, literally a 2-3 minute walk from the station away from the hustle and bustle at the end of the street in a quiet location but convenient enough to be near High Street Kensington station and a range of shops! The check in was relatively simple with extremely friendly staff and a concierge service (to check your bags in early) which was great! We had a room a little larger than the standard, but even seeing a friend's standard room looked to be an average size especially for the rates and location!Our room in fact was great, it had a little seating area also with a table for breakfast where you can either have continental sent to your room (where they even let you pick what you want and send a paper within 10 minutes of ordering!) or the English we had paid for with great service, hot food, loads of choice in quite a nice large restaurant room (senses).The room had a very clean and well decorated shower/bath as well as a Fridge, Ironing Board, a lot of cupboard and walking space and a desk with a nice view out to the street (not sure if Fridge is in the standard rooms though!).TV had a range of movies. The hotel also has quite an exquisite in dining menu which provides a range of cuisine for all different tastes and preferences.

Unique Quality: The restaurant does serve good food with an emphasis on the value for money, and do take special requests into consideration as the staff are generally quite friendly (and actually want to be there). There is a strong sense of community feeling amongst the staff, which was nice to see.
    It has a lot of spaces just to chill out including the iBay (computer area) and various seating areas around the hotel with quite a modern cosy style. The corporate rooms are great, especially for the value for money and especially as one cannot even hear the outside corridors once inside (which is brilliant!) and can accommodate even large groups of people.
    They also have swimming pool and spa facilities which by far is a cut above the rest of some of the hotels one sees in central London. it is edging now towards definitely four and nearly five star as it provides a wonderful service and provided me with a great weekend. Even though my partner was ill throughout the night, the night staff at Housekeeping, Reception, Room Service collaborated together to do everything possible to help my partner (medicines, hot packs etc...) whilst keeping in contact to let us know of the progress which was helpful to say the least! This hotel has great prospects for corporate clients due to the location, for young singles looking to have a great weekend, families due to the leisure facilities, older travellers due to the general efficiency of the staff and generally everyone as the hotel can accommodate for all types of people and still provide a 5* service!After my stay, I shall definitely be staying there once more and shall post some pictures up of the hotel once I have uploaded them from my camera.I would definitely recommend it, as it is such a friendly hotel with great facilities in such a convenient location with good transport links.
    They will definitely expect to see me again as a valued customer in the near future!

Directions: Very safe, clean, friendly, convenient (High St Kensington Station, Olympia + Earls Court right around the corner)

• Nicky-IRE's Profile Photo

fawlty towers

It´s in a great location but the hotel itself isn´t great. It reminded me of the English series fawlty towers. But we had fun and the location is great. It is only about 50m from the nearest tube station and just off Kensington High Street, so it´s also good for shopping. It´s only 30 minutes walk from Harrods and Knightsbride. The Hotel itself is not great. The lifts didn´t work well, the bar didn´t have a great selection of drinks, I didn´t eat in the restaurant as the decor wasn´t very appealing either. My bed only had a sheet on it and no blanket ha ha ha this was in November, and the wind came in through the window, but when we did ring, they brought us up a blanket instantly. The price wasn´t bad for London, and it is in a great place, but it is all a bit mad! Also we should have checked into the room at 14h and they didn´t have it ready until 15.15h and the bin was rusty.....but great location!

• draguza's Profile Photo

I remember I was there back in 1983 with my parents, I was only 7

The only thing is expect to stay in line sometimes a while to have breakfast as ithe breakfast room is very packed in the morning!

Unique Quality: The Kensington Close Hotel is situated in the quiet suburb of Wright's Laneoff Kensington High Street and is just a short distance from the bustling heart of London city centre. This 4-star Kensington hotel is a very popular accommodation because of its convenient location and its charm, style and comfort, which make it an ideal choice for both business and leisure guests

• lou31's Profile Photo

A decent London hotel.

I had been warned about London hotels and what to expect from them. I was not disapointed with this place at all. Of course the room was small but to me room size is not that important. Why do people always complain about that? You are only using it to sleep and shower in after all.
    The whole place was clean and well kept. The staff, though not overly keen to please { I found this attitude everywhere I went } were amiable enough.

Unique Quality: There were nice bars and lounges on the ground floor. Also pay phones and internet facilities were easily accessed. Apparently it also has a swimming pool and spa though I never used them.
    The location was excellent. Just off High Street and a short walk to the Tube Station which had a Marks and Spencers next door. There was also a small cafe accross the road.

Directions: Kensington. Just off High Street and around the corner from the Tube Station.

• SaraM19762001's Profile Photo

Kensington Close

I loved the Kensington Close.
    First off it's in a terrific area- Kensington and very close to the Kensington High St. tube! Just a walk down Wright's Lane is High St. where there are alot of shops, restaurants, etc.
    Second, the hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful. Being my first time to London and Europe in general, they answered all of my crazy questions and were very polite (which I felt most Engish were).
    Third, this hotel has a wide array of restaurants and food choice. I would reccomend eating breakfast in the Carvery (the main restaurant) and lunch in Marlowe's Bar/PUb (had a terrific chicken sandwhich there) and dinner somewhere out in London.

Now, I do have a complaint, though it didn't bother me in the least but may be important to you. The rooms were small, but very clean indeed. I wasn't in my room hardly enough for it to bother me and was happy just to have a nice comphy bed at the end of a long day of sight seeing.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS HOTEL!

Unique Quality: Though I heard it has a nice pool and spa, I never had the time to check it out or make use of it.
    I loved having the tea service in the room!And like I mentioned earlier, the food was very good!

Directions: Take High Street Kensington Tube. Turn down Wright's Lane and walk to the end of the street and you'll run smack into it!

• Steavis's Profile Photo

Good mid-range option

I thoroughly recommend this mid-range hotel in hip and handy Kensington. If you don't want to stay in a B&B and can't afford the ludicrous prices at upmarket hotels, this is for you. Try opodo.com and even lastminute.com.au (even if you are not Australian!) for good rates. Look hard, you might even get a room for 50 quid.

Unique Quality: The rooms are small but the gym and pool more than compensate for that. A late opening residents bar comes in useful, too.

Directions: In Kensington, near EMI records and a short walk from Kensington Gardens, Kensington Palace and the Natural History Museum

• Conflictrealms's Profile Photo

Expensive Hotel!

The Kensington Close Hotel is a first-class strategically located on the west side of London's Hyde Park. The hotel is located near the Natural History and Science Museum. Other area attractions within easy reach of the hotel include Earl Court, Olymoia, the Commonwealth Institute, the Serpentine and Kensington Palace Gardens. The hotel's ideal locations will appeal to the business and leisure traveler alike. The Kensington Close Hotel is a thoroughly modern hotel in one of London's most historic boroughs. The hotel stand before a beautiful garden where you can take leisurely strolls. Experience the pleasure of retiring each evening to a richly appointed guest room. All of the hotel's guest rooms are clean, comfortable, and well appointed. Each guest room is adequately equipped for your comfort and convenience. The professional expertise of the Kensington Close hotel's staff and the meticulous care taken in all the services offered guarantee complete guest satisfaction. Hotel is just minutes to fine dining, shopping, and entertainment.

More about Kensington Close Hotel

An Exceptional Hotel !

by TripAdvisor Member rkevans

I stayed in the Kensington Close Hotel in January 2003 for a week. It was the nicest stay I have ever had in London (and I was staying at a deeply discounted rate ! ) The room was large and clean, the beds were VERY comfortable, and the bathroom was spotless and actually had a usable bathtub. The hotel has excellent facilities, and is a short walk to shops and the underground. I can only imagine that some of the unfavorable reviews here are because people confused this hotel with a similarly named budget hotel. I fully intend to stay at this hotel on my future trips to London, if at all possible.

So I liked it, does that make me a bad person?

My best friend and I had a fabulous time in the Kensington Close Hotel.
Really close to the tube. More importantly, very close to restaurants and shopping! Got a deal through expedia.com so didn't have to pay the full rate, which was way more than what we paid. Rooms are tiny, but I hear that's typical of London, so I can't complain. Rooms were clean.
All the employees are awesome, didn't meet one I had a problem with.
The bar/lounge was big and comfy- hung out there a couple nights for a few drinks. Great time all around, definately would stay again (if I could get the same fantastic rate)!

Fabulous little hotel!

I stayed at the Kensington Close Hotel from 13-17 November 2003 and I was very pleased with the hotel. I originally booked online another "hotel" in an attempt to save money, but this hotel was always in the back of my head. Thank goodness as I checked out of the first hotel without staying there and booked immediately with the Kensington Close Hotel. Here's a tip: Don't book through the hotel directly, but with their website for really great rates. I saved 117 pounds by doing it this way and my rate included breakfast. I was able to check in quickly and get right up to my room. The hotel has numerous lifts so there is never a queue (unless a busload of people have arrived) to get on one. Once up at my room, I discovered I was near an exit door. As a woman traveling alone, I was concerned about this and wanted to change my room, but no free singles were available. If you can imagine the layout of the hotel with the double rooms and suites on the main corridors and the singles on the cross corridors, apparently all the singles are only to be found on these and so moving would have done nothing to improve my concern about safety. I was fortunate enough to not have to worry about safety as the hotel was quiet and there wasn't a lot of foot traffic from outside into the hotel. The rooms are small, but for me it was perfect. The bed was incredibly comfortable with a down comforter and four pillows. Each day the room was cleaned and I received clean, fresh towels. I never had a concern about the cleanliness of the hotel or my room. In fact, I would say that on this aspect, this hotel was cleaner than most US hotels I have stayed at. The temperature in the room was perfect and I slept with the window open underneath the soft and comfy comforter. The room had a safe, minibar, kettle with cups and tea/coffee, and a TV with 8 channels (one was in German). There was a pants press inside the closet, but no dresser so I left my suitcase open for storing items. As someone else noted (and I am so glad they did as I would never have thought to look), the hairdryer was inside the desk drawer. What I especially liked was how quiet the room and hotel are as I had no problem falling asleep and staying asleep. I liked, too, that they had an alarm in the TV, which was easy to set and reliable. For the little time I spent in my room, I was absolutely pleased and couldn't have asked for more. The Biz.Centre by the Concierge has 6 computer terminals to access the internet at a cost of 50p for 9 minutes. It takes coins or credit cards and I never had a problem using one or waiting to use one. There is also a small store next to this inside the hotel where you can grab a newspaper, candy, soda, or even souvenirs. I had breakfast most days at the Carvery inside the hotel, which consisted of cereal, juice, coffee/tea, toast, croissants, danish, yogurt, eggs, meat, etc. It's packed no matter what time you go and as a vegetarian, I had my Wheetabix and a croissant, but then opted for a yummy muffin and tea up at Pret a Manger at the High Street Kensington Tube station up the street. I did have a drink one night at Marloes, but it was rather quiet --- perhaps just a quiet week at the hotel. I loved the location of the hotel as I could get to and from anything quickly. This wasn't my first trip to London so I knew I wasn't looking for touristy things to do, but if you are, you are within walking distance of Notting Hill, Portobello Market, and other sites and the Tube stop (District and Circle Lines) at High Street Kensington make commuting super easy. Wait until after 9:30 am to buy your one day travelcard for a discount or even better, buy your travelcards online before going to the UK for the best rates. I had taken Heathrow Express and lugged my bags on the Tube, but for my trip home, I took a taxi to Paddington Station. There is a taxi queue across the street from the hotel as the Cophorne Tara Hotel is next door to Kensington Close. My trip was all of 7 pounds -- not bad at all. There is a Safeway market nearby (go up Wright's Lane and bear left on High Street Kensington, cross the street and it's there). Also in this area is a Starbuck's and a few small restaurants. If you bear right on High Street Kensington, there is a McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Crispins (small store with sandwiches -- think 7-11), Wagamamma, and several restaurants including Chinese, Cuban, a few pubs, etc. Of course, at the High Street Kensington Tube station is a Boots and my favorite, Marks & Spencers. There is also a cafe on Wright's Lane as well as a tea room and Thai restaurant, none of which I personally visited, but all were doing brisk business, probably due to location. Things I didn't like: Silly little things like getting up to get more OJ at breakfast and having my table cleared and given to someone else (so are the pains of traveling alone) and having minibar charges added to my bill when I didn't touch the minibar. The clerk checking me out simply asked the manager to take the charges off and it was corrected immediately. I met an American woman traveling with a friend who told me that her and her friend were sharing a Double, but that it consisted of 2 twin beds pushed together and her friend had a cold, so she wasn't terribly happy about that. I would probably share a Double with my husband, but maybe get a suite if I were going with another person, but I would definitely stay here again because of its location, clean and modern property, and price. One last note -- get a London A-Z guide either in a bookstore or Amazon.com before traveling or when you arrive to help you get around. I guarantee it will make your life easier when you don't have to continually ask for directions and visit the museums (Nationally Gallery, Tate Modern) that are free and avoid the tourist traps that are pure crap like Madame Tussauds.

by seewong

Anyone have stayed in this hotel before?

Comment? Is the room clean?

Re: Kensington Close Hotel

by Morjem911

Hello! Try going to www.tripadvisor.com and looking it up. I used it on my trip and the reviews were dead on.

Comments