Wrights Lane, Kensington, London, W8 5SP, United Kingdom

See Amenities
planxty's Profile Photo

Huge, central and pleasant

by written on October 27, 2012

Living in London, I don't often stay in central hotels but recently I had occasion to stay at the Kensington Close Hotel and very pleasant it was too. I used to work in this area of London and always regarded the hotel as being a little rundown but a recent refurbishment has put paid to that. It is spotless and has obviously had a lot of money spent on it.

The Kensington Close appears to cater a lot to coach parties and there were two checking in as I did. Despite this, the pleasant and very efficient reception staff dealt with me quickly and I went in search of my room. I had never realised just how far back this place extended, it is absolutely huge. As you can see from the photo, the corridors seem to go on forever. This is not even the full length of the place but I really couldn't be bothered to walk the whole distance just to take a photo. Please take my word for it.

The room was well-appointed with all the things you would expect, flat-screen TV, comfortable bed, tea and coffee making facilities etc. The bathroom would be more properly called a shower room as there was no actual bath if this is a consideration for you. It was spotless with decent toiletries and even at the peak time early in the morning there was plenty of piping hot water.

One thing to mention is that unless you are on an expenses account steer clear of the room service food. I had a look at the menu and it is very expensive even by central London hotel standards. There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel which I did not sample as I literally just slept there and left. Should you be feeling energetic there is a swimming pool and gym and if you do not there is a spa offering various treatments.

Located a few minutes walk from Kensington High Street the Kensington Close offers a good base for central London.

Unique Quality: Nothing unique, just a decent, recently refurbished and comfortable hotel.

Directions: Nearest Tube, High Street Kensington.

Great Service, Excellent Location, Great Rooms!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 12, 2008

This hotel is by far outstanding for the price and location! the arestaff friendly, it's coupled with efficient service, great facilities and contemporary and chic rooms with great corporate prospects! I saw some of the mixed reviews on this website and was a little doubtful with everything I had read; however, from staying there this weekend it has completely changed my mind!
I had a few special requests as my partner and I are both vegetarians and there were a few other requests also. The lady at reservations was not only very efficient and prompt in her email responses, but was extremely resourceful and did
everything to help us! She had even got in touch with various other departments in the hotel in order for our requests to be satisfied. It's so easy to find, literally a 2-3 minute walk from the station away from the hustle and bustle at the end of the street in a quiet location but convenient enough to be near High Street Kensington station and a range of shops! The check in was relatively simple with extremely friendly staff and a concierge service (to check your bags in early) which was great! We had a room a little larger than the standard, but even seeing a friend's standard room looked to be an average size especially for the rates and location!Our room in fact was great, it had a little seating area also with a table for breakfast where you can either have continental sent to your room (where they even let you pick what you want and send a paper within 10 minutes of ordering!) or the English we had paid for with great service, hot food, loads of choice in quite a nice large restaurant room (senses).The room had a very clean and well decorated shower/bath as well as a Fridge, Ironing Board, a lot of cupboard and walking space and a desk with a nice view out to the street (not sure if Fridge is in the standard rooms though!).TV had a range of movies. The hotel also has quite an exquisite in dining menu which provides a range of cuisine for all different tastes and preferences.

Unique Quality: The restaurant does serve good food with an emphasis on the value for money, and do take special requests into consideration as the staff are generally quite friendly (and actually want to be there). There is a strong sense of community feeling amongst the staff, which was nice to see.
It has a lot of spaces just to chill out including the iBay (computer area) and various seating areas around the hotel with quite a modern cosy style. The corporate rooms are great, especially for the value for money and especially as one cannot even hear the outside corridors once inside (which is brilliant!) and can accommodate even large groups of people.
They also have swimming pool and spa facilities which by far is a cut above the rest of some of the hotels one sees in central London. it is edging now towards definitely four and nearly five star as it provides a wonderful service and provided me with a great weekend. Even though my partner was ill throughout the night, the night staff at Housekeeping, Reception, Room Service collaborated together to do everything possible to help my partner (medicines, hot packs etc...) whilst keeping in contact to let us know of the progress which was helpful to say the least! This hotel has great prospects for corporate clients due to the location, for young singles looking to have a great weekend, families due to the leisure facilities, older travellers due to the general efficiency of the staff and generally everyone as the hotel can accommodate for all types of people and still provide a 5* service!After my stay, I shall definitely be staying there once more and shall post some pictures up of the hotel once I have uploaded them from my camera.I would definitely recommend it, as it is such a friendly hotel with great facilities in such a convenient location with good transport links.
They will definitely expect to see me again as a valued customer in the near future!

Directions: Very safe, clean, friendly, convenient (High St Kensington Station, Olympia + Earls Court right around the corner)

Nicky-IRE's Profile Photo

fawlty towers

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 9, 2006

It´s in a great location but the hotel itself isn´t great. It reminded me of the English series fawlty towers. But we had fun and the location is great. It is only about 50m from the nearest tube station and just off Kensington High Street, so it´s also good for shopping. It´s only 30 minutes walk from Harrods and Knightsbride. The Hotel itself is not great. The lifts didn´t work well, the bar didn´t have a great selection of drinks, I didn´t eat in the restaurant as the decor wasn´t very appealing either. My bed only had a sheet on it and no blanket ha ha ha this was in November, and the wind came in through the window, but when we did ring, they brought us up a blanket instantly. The price wasn´t bad for London, and it is in a great place, but it is all a bit mad! Also we should have checked into the room at 14h and they didn´t have it ready until 15.15h and the bin was rusty.....but great location!

draguza's Profile Photo

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 31, 2006

I remember I was there back in 1983 with my parents, I was only 7

The only thing is expect to stay in line sometimes a while to have breakfast as ithe breakfast room is very packed in the morning!

Unique Quality: The Kensington Close Hotel is situated in the quiet suburb of Wright's Laneoff Kensington High Street and is just a short distance from the bustling heart of London city centre. This 4-star Kensington hotel is a very popular accommodation because of its convenient location and its charm, style and comfort, which make it an ideal choice for both business and leisure guests

lou31's Profile Photo

A decent London hotel.

by written on June 5, 2005

I had been warned about London hotels and what to expect from them. I was not disapointed with this place at all. Of course the room was small but to me room size is not that important. Why do people always complain about that? You are only using it to sleep and shower in after all.
The whole place was clean and well kept. The staff, though not overly keen to please { I found this attitude everywhere I went } were amiable enough.

Unique Quality: There were nice bars and lounges on the ground floor. Also pay phones and internet facilities were easily accessed. Apparently it also has a swimming pool and spa though I never used them.
The location was excellent. Just off High Street and a short walk to the Tube Station which had a Marks and Spencers next door. There was also a small cafe accross the road.

Directions: Kensington. Just off High Street and around the corner from the Tube Station.

SaraM19762001's Profile Photo

Kensington Close

by written on April 9, 2005

I loved the Kensington Close.
First off it's in a terrific area- Kensington and very close to the Kensington High St. tube! Just a walk down Wright's Lane is High St. where there are alot of shops, restaurants, etc.
Second, the hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful. Being my first time to London and Europe in general, they answered all of my crazy questions and were very polite (which I felt most Engish were).
Third, this hotel has a wide array of restaurants and food choice. I would reccomend eating breakfast in the Carvery (the main restaurant) and lunch in Marlowe's Bar/PUb (had a terrific chicken sandwhich there) and dinner somewhere out in London.

Now, I do have a complaint, though it didn't bother me in the least but may be important to you. The rooms were small, but very clean indeed. I wasn't in my room hardly enough for it to bother me and was happy just to have a nice comphy bed at the end of a long day of sight seeing.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS HOTEL!

Unique Quality: Though I heard it has a nice pool and spa, I never had the time to check it out or make use of it.
I loved having the tea service in the room!And like I mentioned earlier, the food was very good!

Directions: Take High Street Kensington Tube. Turn down Wright's Lane and walk to the end of the street and you'll run smack into it!

Steavis's Profile Photo

Good mid-range option

by written on March 10, 2005

I thoroughly recommend this mid-range hotel in hip and handy Kensington. If you don't want to stay in a B&B and can't afford the ludicrous prices at upmarket hotels, this is for you. Try opodo.com and even lastminute.com.au (even if you are not Australian!) for good rates. Look hard, you might even get a room for 50 quid.

Unique Quality: The rooms are small but the gym and pool more than compensate for that. A late opening residents bar comes in useful, too.

Directions: In Kensington, near EMI records and a short walk from Kensington Gardens, Kensington Palace and the Natural History Museum

Conflictrealms's Profile Photo

Expensive Hotel!

by written on April 19, 2003

The Kensington Close Hotel is a first-class strategically located on the west side of London's Hyde Park. The hotel is located near the Natural History and Science Museum. Other area attractions within easy reach of the hotel include Earl Court, Olymoia, the Commonwealth Institute, the Serpentine and Kensington Palace Gardens. The hotel's ideal locations will appeal to the business and leisure traveler alike. The Kensington Close Hotel is a thoroughly modern hotel in one of London's most historic boroughs. The hotel stand before a beautiful garden where you can take leisurely strolls. Experience the pleasure of retiring each evening to a richly appointed guest room. All of the hotel's guest rooms are clean, comfortable, and well appointed. Each guest room is adequately equipped for your comfort and convenience. The professional expertise of the Kensington Close hotel's staff and the meticulous care taken in all the services offered guarantee complete guest satisfaction. Hotel is just minutes to fine dining, shopping, and entertainment.

Nearby Kensington Close Hotel

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Public Buses
Taxis
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Train / Bus Stations
Money Matters
Parks and Gardens
Eating, Drinking and socialising
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
The Thames