3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 24% more and rated 36% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

• Landotravel's Profile Photo

Strategic location

A hotel enclosed into an old classic building. It means it's not designed like a hotel and it feels, but it's the same all around it. Cromwell road is an avenue full of this kind of beautiful old buildings that are now used as hotels or so. The inner structure is complex, the rooms use to be small, corridors are narrow with stairs in the middle, etc., but at the same time it's a new experience!. Rooms are clean, only correct and the bath is old, but the shower, despite the shape, worked fantastic. ?? Staff also correct.

Like many other european countries a three-star hotel is like a two-star one in Spain. But this is something you must have present when travelling here.

Unique Quality: The best, the self-service breakfast and the strategic location, very near from V & A Museum and Natural History Museum -you may take a walk- and, through Gloucester road subway station move everywhere in London.

Directions: Kensington district, close to Gloucester road subway station.

• custardpomme's Profile Photo

The lovely Kensington Rooms

We all know that decent hotel accommodation in London is very expensive and that you can often end up with a dud.

But we struck gold with a little help from the internet. I used a discount hotel site (I think it was Orbitz) to book a week at Kensington Rooms, in mid August, at only 50 quid a night. Their rack rates for the same room are 150 pounds - so what a saving.

Rooms are well-sized although the beds are enormously huge and tend to take up most of the main room. No air-conditioning so if you happen to be there during a heat wave (like we were in 2003) you won't get any relief. But then most hotels don't have AC either.

Location is really good - a few minutes walk from the Tube (the line that goes directly to/from the airport, very convenient), and you're across the road from a dry cleaners and Sainsbury's. You're also about 10 minute's walk from High Street Kensington which has lots of shops and eateries.

I wouldn't pay 150 pounds - but then I don't think I'd visit London if I had to pay that much per night at a hotel! Spend some time checking reputable hotel discount sites and you might just find a great deal for this - or other hotels.

More about Kensington Rooms

Couldn't Even Get A Bottle Opener

I recently stayed at Kensington Rooms on a business trip. It was one of my "worst ever"
experiences. While my room was spacious, it lacked air conditioning, was off a noisy street,
and had a pathetic min-bar with no bottle opener.

The staff was almost always unfriendly. When I asked for a bottle opener, they told me that if I came down they would open my bottle for me!
(Apparently, having few bottle openers was their idea of keeping costs under control.)

All I can say is "don't stay there". It is overpriced,
unfriendly, hot in the summer, and......without a sufficient supply of bottle openers!

Loved it! Would upgrade next time.

After doing a considerable amount of web-searching, I decided upon Kensington Rooms despite the poor recommendation it received from Trip Advisor. I booked directly on their website, and I received an excellent rate with breakfast included. When my boyfriend and I reached the hotel, we were very pleased with it's trendy decor, and cheery staff. When we got to our room on the first floor (12 or 13), my boyfriend was surprised at how small it was (having never stayed in London before), and I was surprised at how large it was (having stayed in London before). The bed (two full sized beds pushed together to create a queen sized bed) was *very* comfortable, if a bit broken in. It was the best nights sleep I've ever had in a hotel. The room was very quiet. The sheets were very soft. The experience was truly exquisite. But the best part was the bathroom - entirely marble tiled, with a power shower and a huge bathtub big enough to get a good soak in. As a bonus, the water pressure was amazing, and the hot water was continuous. The only problem with the bathroom is that the angle of the sink is such that if you turn on the water too quickly, you are likely to soak yourself when the water rushes up the side of the basin. The continental breakfast was delicious - I especially recommend the chocolate crossings, but the entire spread was good. My boyfriend got the English Breakfast each morning (which was only five pounds more - not too expensive). I consider this hotel much more luxuriant than what I paid for it, and I would most definitely recommend it.Only complaint is that when I asked for a suggestion for a take out pizza place, their recommendation was awful. But I will chalk that up to the British not knowing from an authentic New York pizza.

among the worst - ever!

by TripAdvisor Member davekv

I've traveled the world for 35 years and this hotel is memorable as being among the top 10 worst hotels ever. It is so bad that it is almost laughable. Street noise from Cromwell Road is deafening and keeps you awake at night. But worse, their advertised amenities simply do not exist. I checked in at 2 p.m. on Saturday and requested an iron and ironing board (there are none in the rooms). By Monday morning, I went to work with a wrinkled shirt because they simply did not produce an iron - in spite of 8 requests over 2 days. They told me they had 2 irons in the entire hotel and they were missing! They advertise bath robes - no such thing. They don't even provide a wash cloth. And room 011 is the tiniest room I've ever seen - ever.

Bottom line: this hotel is all about hype and it is an awful place.

Overpriced rubbish

Stayed in this overpriced (---) for just 1 night. That was 1 night to many. The room was on the third floor looking over the main road and was VERY NOISY. Traffic goes buy at all times of the night leaving sleep just about impossible. The room was very small & the bathroom even more so. You had to manover your way around the bathroom door to get to the toilet - nearly broke my neck getting out of the shower as there is nothing to hold onto when doing so. On returning to the hotel at 11.15pm I asked the individual on the desk were the bar was. I was met with a scowl & was tersely asked if I was a guest. I replied I was & could he tell me were the bar was. I was then asked for my room number. This has never happened to me EVER in other hotels. To cap it all I was awoken at 6.00am by a horrible piercing what sounded like a fire alarm coming from the phone. Breakfast was very poor - although I could have had a bacon sandwich for £6.50.(--) - AVOID AT ALL COSTS

not impressed

by TripAdvisor Member alhc

At least we didn't pay the full rack rate of 85GBP and got a deal on Expedia instead. The room on the 4th floor was clean and modern, and the location is convenient, but that's really about all I can say about it that's positive. The staff is completely unfriendly and unhelpful and don't seem to care one way or the other whether guests are comfortable. We had to repeatedly beg for a fan since the room was stuffy and well over 90F. There was no top sheet on the bed - only a down comforter, which is a bit of overkill when it's that hot - and they acted like we were nuts for requesting another sheet several times so we'd have something to sleep under (we never got a sheet, either). The bathroom was the smallest I've ever seen and I can't see how anyone even slightly larger than average could manage in it. The king size bed was 2 twins pushed together, which makes an uncomfortable ridge in the middle. No in-room safe or other amenities as described on their website.

In general, I expected much better. Not at all worth the money we paid and I would not return. There are better options in the area and I'd choose one of them next time.

What a load of rubbish

by TripAdvisor Member Will_Travelll

There is not much going for this hotel. It is in a dull part of London, not much to see nearby though Gloucester Road Tube station is only a few minutes walk away. My room was small and shabby, furniture bulky and took up what space there was. The bathroom was even smaller and difficult to move around. I know there are bigger rooms, you have to ask for them.

The receptionist staff were the most off hand and objectionable I have had the misfortune to deal with. With a surly inflection in the voice, they coldly inform you of all the rules and regulations of the hotel and they adhere to them. I fell foul of the breakfast rules. When they say it finishes at 9:30, they mean 9:30 not 9:31. I got through the maze to the breakfast room 9:25 just in time for cerials and coffee. I saw nobody, not even the waitresses taking away the coffee urn, and food. They must have been "Borrowers".

This must be the most objectionable hotel I have stayed in.

Do It Yourself 4 Star Hotel

Room was called a suite! Had a seating area with totally inadequate lighting - tiny fridge as a minibar - not plugged in. Lighting in bathroom also inadequate. Power shower fine if you like to cover everything in bathroom with water. Bath had no footmat or equivalent - v dangerous and slippery. Appalled to discover that "breakfast is till 10" means all food is removed at 10 - regardless of guests having finished eating or not. Cont. Breakfast very poor in choice. Breakfast gave a whole new meaning to self-service. Only knife and napkin on the table. Want a cup of tea? There's the hot water, there's the tea bag and the cup and saucer - do it yourself!
4 star? I don't think so.

great room

We stayed here in december 2003 for 2 nights.
The prices were cheap (ca. 90 euro for room/ night) We had a very good and quit room with a large and very comfortable bed. The bathroom was also great and clean. Every day a free newspaper.
Breakfast was only just sufficient.
The people at the reception were friendly.
Nearby the tube, about 2 minutes walk
In Holland we were told the hotel is 3 star plus.
It was certainly worth the visit considering the price !

Comments