25 Matheson Road, (formerly Aston Court Hotel), London, W14 8SN, United Kingdom

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Kensington West Hotel

Fabulous French, Kensington, West London

by sue_stone about Racine

Racine is a small classy French Restaurant located near Knightsbridge/South Kensington in West London. It was highly recommended to me by a good friend (and VT'er - londonbabe), so I had high expectations....and was not disappointed!

Entering off a busy road, you go through some large thick curtains and voila, you are in a serene, perfectly lit environment, filled with relaxed diners and attractive waiters. Racine has fabulous service and traditional French food made from the best ingredients. We started off with an amazing Smoked Duck salad. Mains were a melt-in-your mouth steak with béarnaise sauce and the tastiest chips I have had in a long time, and the special - Roast Grouse, which was also delicious. Washed down with a nice bottle of French red from Bordeaux. No room for dessert : (

A truly wonderful meal. Can't wait to return....

L Restaurant - Kensington, West London

by sue_stone about L Restaurant

L Restaurant is an interestingly designed bar & restaurant located just off Kensington High Street, in West London. Alex and I popped in there one Friday night for dinner, as we felt like a meal out.
At the time of writing this tip, the restaurant had been open for only 2-3 months, though it is housed on the site of a previously long running restaurant, so hopefully they will be successful as it is a good location. Unfortunately they had some pretty bad reviews when they started trading, but more recent reviews have been a lot more positive.

You enter into a small bar area, and then walk down stairs to the restaurant. It is quite a bright place during the day as there are large skylights. There is a mezzanine seating area if you want to get away from the main diners. The evening we were there it was fairly quiet, but things started to pick up a bit later in the evening.

Service was very friendly and efficient and they seemed sincerely pleased when we praised the meal. To start, we shared the Crispy Baby Squid with Lemon chilli fried Spinach. It was perfectly cooked and tasty. For main course, I had the Rosemary and Honey Roasted Suckling Lamb with minted pureed peas and potatoes and Alex had the Black Rice with Iberico Pork, Squid & Langoustine. Both were nicely presented and cooked perfectly. Flavours were interesting and we cleaned our plates. We enjoyed a bottle of Italian red wine with the meal.

Desserts sounded too good to resist, so we didn't resist! Alex had the Apple & Almond Tart with Ice Cream and I had the Carrot Crème Brulee with Cumin spiced Macaroons. The Macaroons were a really amazing taste sensation, and the highlight of the meal

We had a nice evening at L Restaurant, and service and food were great, only downside was that the atmosphere was a little flat. But I'm sure if they keep doing what they are doing then patronage will pick up soon.

Women's Memorial, Whitehall, London, UK.Women's Memorial, Whitehall, London, UK.

Euson Train Station - MapEuson Train Station - Map

Rhodochrosite.Rhodochrosite.

The London Eye near WaterlooThe London Eye near Waterloo

Hotel near Royal Albert Hall

by hawkhead

Can anyone suggest a hotel within walking distance of the Royal Albert Hall? I would ask for reasonably priced but suspect that there is not a whisker of a hope for that. So, just the location for the moment. Thank you!

by Durfun

Hey, There are many around!

The Montana Hotel, 3 star, from 59 gbp!
67-69 Gloucester Rd, Kensington, Kensington, SW7 4PG London

Royal Garden Hotel, 5 star, from 109 gbp!!
2-24 Kensington High St, Kensington, W8 4PT London

Others at Palace Gate, Gloucester Rd, etc!!

Book via hotels.com or booking.com, even laterooms.com

Good luck

by TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER

There is a best Western right around the corner. Typically very economical but I have never stayed there and cannot give you a review.

Best Western John Howard Hotel
4 Queen's Gate
Kensington, London, SW7 5EH

Telephone: 020 78088400
Rates as low as £98.10 (GBP)

by hawkhead

Thank you so far. However, PubCrawler, the John Howard is not what I would call typically very economical; certainly not for my London stays! I have quite a few months but I think I may well just stay at my usual place and go by tube - only a few stops but I would have liked to have been able to walk to the RAH.

by puerto_lover

I may give ABBA QUEENS GATE hotel a look.
Abba is a Spanish Hotel Group and not related to the Swedish pop group.
They are a young company and worth considering as this hotel is the only one so far in UK. Most are in Spain.

by TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER

My apologies Hawkhead.
Best Westerns in the US are typically budget hotels. I usually stay fairly well while in London such as the Royal Horseguards or the Renaissance Chancery Court, and this falls well below that. As I stay at the same places at roughly the same price point, I only had that to go on. In the US, $100.00 USD is average for a budget hotel. I figured in a major metropolitan such as London where the rates are typically much higher (like Chicago, Paris, New York), that anything under £100.00 (GBP) would be considered reasonable.

Sorry if I steered you wrong.

by Sjalen

Just a bit further than some but still walking distance, the Premier Inn Earls Court sometimes has very good offers and is definitely budget but with clean rooms. Being part of the Premier Inn chain the rooms all look the same but beds are comfy. If you are a very light sleeper you might just want a room not facing the underground rail lines but it's not THAT bad if you are a normal sleeper and have closed windows (they have a very good A/C).

by hawkhead

Thank you. However, at the moment all they are offering is room only at £110/night and I consider that ridiculous for a room only in a budget hotel and for an off-season date. For an extra £10, I can have bed and breakfast at the John Howard.

by Sjalen

Yes it's sometimes rare to find those 29 pound offers they have :(

Travel Tips for London

Westminster Abbey

by JUNLI

Westminster Abbey
It was year 2000, the first time when I visited London. When I stepped out the underground station, I was just stunned by this maganificent building ahead of me. It was so great!

Till now, I still believe Westminster Abbey is one of the most remarkable architecture on this planet.

Mini VT meeting 6th September 2003

by phil_uk_net

Saturday afternoon. I'm feeling tired after a late night and start to take an afternoon nap. The phone rings. Oh no, it must be the letting agent telling me that more people want to view the house. It's not. The voice is that of an American female and in my tired state I'm not sure who it is. A few more clues are given out and I realise that it is none other than online goddess and VT legend, Geisha_Girl. This is unexpected. I know she is passing through London enroute to Madrid but I am only expecting a brief early morning chat on the phone while she is in transit at Heathrow. She's arrived early though and is in London with Christian. Did I want to meet them for dinner? Come on, G_G. Is the pope Catholic? Can Miyamoto_Musashi lick his own private parts? What a dumb question! I head to London post-haste. Let me tell you, the real G_G is even more remarkable than the virtual one. Great to meet Christian too, a true French gentleman.
To complete a memorable evening, Ivan_Jimenez and Shpynka are patched in via live satellite link to join the fun.

Chinese New Year Parade

by angiebabe

This year, 2008 the year of the Rat, I managed to make it to this popular central London event. Apparently last year 20,000 people attended this event and this year the Mayor, in his promotional info, was expecting 30,000.

It was easy enough to get a good view of the parade performers without ending up being stuck behind lots of tall heads so I really dont think that 30,000 attended but the parade route is a long one which runs from Aldwych along the Strand to Trafalgar Square, up Charing Cross road to Leceister Square and Picadilly taking about 2 hours in the process - so theres certainly lots of space for viewers to spread themselves out.

Once the parade has passed Trafalgar Square the stage set up for entertainment throughout the day is used as the opening platform by the Lord Mayor and his accompanying officials including Chinese represenatiives who pay their respects and verbalise their formalities before the days line up of entertainment begins - interesting stuff such as a Dragon dance, very talented children playing chinese instruments, dancers in various typically colourful Chinese costumes and so on.

I would assume as part of a 'reduce the risk' strategy as part of the anticipated large number of people that would be drawn to central London for this activities have been placed at various points around the area including sites to assist with First Aid, lost property and lost children! We also headed on up to Leceister for the advertised fireworks - booked for hourly showings - and were amazed at the extravagance of fire crackers and colorful fireworks (of which very pleased with the photos obtained!)

and then in keeping with the flavour of the day (!) head on up a few streets more to China Town and choose from a number of restaurants for an excellent Dim Sum lunch!

Comments