LaNesra Apartments Canary Central

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about London

Interior (3)Interior (3)

Against an unusually blue skyAgainst an unusually blue sky

BRITISH MUSEUMBRITISH MUSEUM

The Gherkin - Jan 07The Gherkin - Jan 07

Please Recommend an Indian Restaurant in London.

by eligal

We’ll be staying in Islington Next week. Would a knowledgeable London resident please pick up the gauntlet and recommend an Indian restaurant? (I guess that the Masala Zone near by is not the one I am looking for, being a chain restaurant, right?)

by planxty

Well, Eli, yes I can certainly recommend several wonderful restaurants. Firstly, I would get out of Islington, there are a few "Indian" restaurants there, generally owned, cooked in and run by Bangladeshis but set up for Western people and not all that good, along with being overpriced, as are most places in Islington. Most of the South Asian cuisine you will find in the UK is Bangladeshi run, despite what the restaurant name might be.

There are two main areas for good curries, Southall and the East End. Southall is further for you to travel, so the East end is your bet. I live there. Firstly, avoid Brick Lane which has become far too commercial and lost any sense of what it was when I moved to London over 20 years ago.

There are three places I would particularly recommend in this area, none of which are particularly flash, but all of which serve superb food.

First is the Lahore in Umberston Street, just off Commercial Street (A13). Postcode is E1 1PY. I know for a fact the Pakistani cricket team eat here when they are in town.

Second is Tayyabs in Fieldgate Street, about five minutes walk from Whitechapel tube station, and last, but not least, is the Biryani house on Mile End Road, E1, very close to where I live. I have a tip on my Mile End page. Nearest tube to here would be Stepney Green. I can guarantee you that you will have a wonderful meal in any of these places.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

by eligal

Fergy, thanks so much; this definitely assists – having been written with such care and detail :-)
I guess I will be commuting to the East End next week, then…

by puerto_lover

plantxy is your man.
I just read a review of a possible nearer Islington itself. Have a look at :

The painting at the front of the restaurant of an old man seated in his library is of the first Asian MP in Britain - Dadabhai Naoroji,who in 1892 was elected MP for Finsbury Central which we now know as Islington.

by planxty

Eli,

no problem at all, surely that is what VT is here for.

I don't know the place Nige has recommended, although I know Chapel Market well enough and the restuarant looks very good. It would save you a bit of travel if you didn't want to come to the East End, which is not actually that far away.

Always nice to give visitors a heads up into what can be a pretty large and confusing city. I am not sure what I will be doing next week gig wise but if you want to VT mail me, please do, perhaps we can meet up and I can show you round a little bit of the East End as well.

fergy.

by muguruki

I agree with planxty don't bother with Brick Lane. Southall is excellent but a bit far; I've also had some cracking meals in Tooting which seems to be good if you like Vegetarian south Indian food.

Travel Tips for London

We enjoyed the London Eye very...

by diver-x

We enjoyed the London Eye very much! It's a giant ferris wheel on the bank of the Thames across from the govt offices. The view was spectacular. One revolution around is about 30 minutes and the thing never stops. You get on and off while it's still moving! Arrive early - it opens at 10:00. Otherwise you'll wait in line a long time. Stumbling around, window shopping and people-watching around Piccadilly and Oxford Circus.

Wong Kei

by Lalique

Two pairs of cunning eyes were looking at me, while one of the beholders announced the cousine (thus the restaurant) which was picked up for the evening.... well, I had no objections to Chinese stuff... though am still puzzled what was the trick?

So, after P&J it was Wong Kei, pretty ascetic in decoration but pretty cheap in pricing. Pieter's brother, who joined us that evening, practiced his Chinese there (to the amazment of the staff) and I proved that I'm the cleanest Cat ever :)))

I liked a lot the time we spent together, unfortunately it wasn't enough, as it's usually not enough of good things but I now have a strong reason to come back agian.... All the detailed and true info about this place u can find on phil_uk_net London page, as well as plenty other info on local restaurants (this is not a promotion! :)))))

St Ethelburga's, Bishopsgate

by alucas

I have wanted to visit this church for many years, ever since I used to catch a bus from outside it to work every day, more than fifteen years ago, before St Ethelburga was nearly destroyed for good.

This church is more than 700 years old and is one of the few remaining medieval buildings in the City of London. When built, it was the largest building in Bishopsgate – now it is probably the smallest. Unlike many churches in the City, St Ethelburga’s escaped damage in the Great Fire of 1666 and also survived the Second World War. This good fortune was not to continue. In April 1993 a massive terrorist bomb exploded in Bishopsgate just yards from St Ethelburga’s church, all but destroying it completely. One man was killed and 51 injured in the blast that caused widespread damage to surrounding buildings. If the bomb had gone off during the week, the loss of life would have been much greater.

The damage to St Ethelburga’s church was so bad that it was feared that the building might be beyond repair, but closer inspection showed there was much that could be saved or reconstructed. In 1997 a Trust was established which now owns and runs the restored building.

The work of rebuilding the church began in the summer of 2001 and on 12 November 2002, St Ethelburga’s was re-consecrated as a church by the Bishop of London. On the following day, the St Ethelburga’s Centre for Reconciliation and Peace was officially opened by the Prince of Wales.

The west front of the church, facing on to Bishopsgate, has been rebuilt and looks just as it did before the bomb. The main tower almost survived, and has been completely restored. The north wall and roof are entirely new, following the form of the originals, but not rebuilt as replicas of the originals. Perhaps the most striking feature of the new building is the east window, depicting St Ethelburga, which incorporates fragments from the previous east window. At the rear of the church there is a small courtyard garden, with a fountain and a fine small statue of St Ethelburga. A little oasis of peace in the city, where the noise of the traffic is almost blotted out by the surrounding buildings. A further courtyard garden is under construction beyond this courtyard, and will further enhance this little gem when it is completed.

Scooters

by Yorick12

Wow, they love their scooters! I've never seen so many in one place. Everyone seemed to have a Vespa. If you want to get in on the fun, you can rent a Vespa for a day, a week or whatever. A Vespa 125cc will run you 45 pounds for a day, 145 for week with 250 pound deposit.

I just thought of something...

by Liz10052

I just thought of something else: If you're one of those people with the HUGE backpacks, keep in mind how far they stick out behind you, and if you get on a crowded train or bus, please remember to take it off. I've been hit several times by people wearing these backpacks, they just turn around fast and i guess they don't realize how big it is. Also, be careful with backpacks as its easy for pickpockets to open the pockets and steal things without the owner ever knowing. i've never been pickpocketed, but i know people who have, so watch your stuff at all times.

Comments