Leonard Hotel

The Leonard Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Agoda.com

Costs 51% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about London

the largest bronze sculpture in Europethe largest bronze sculpture in Europe

A A London Internet Centre - New Oxford StA A London Internet Centre - New Oxford St

A festival on Leicester Square.A festival on Leicester Square.

Statue to Queen VictoriaStatue to Queen Victoria

accomodation in Londn

Hi there,

I'm staying in Clapham Junction at my friends flat but would like to find a room in shared flat. Could you please recommend any specific areas of London which are not further away from centre than zone 3. Also I need to get easily to victoria station everyday so any recommended areas with good train/tube connections would be appreciated. Safety is very important as I'm single woman and I want to feel safe even when I walk home at night time.I would like to rent a room for around 450 GBP so very posh areas are probably not the ones I will look at.I prefer south parts of London only because I know them better but any ideas/opinions/suggestions about any areas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

by hawkhead

Perhaps one way you could look at the zones is to download the tube map from www.tlf.gov.uk. The zones are clearly outlined and you will be able to see what stations are within what zones, including those with good connections to Victoria.

by gmartly

Well I looked at the map but it's so many factors all together...I have no idea which areas are considered as safe and which ones are not. That's why I don't really know where should I look.But thanks for your reply anyway :)

by hawkhead

Yes, but if you stick to the south part as you indicated, that cuts down the options. As for safe, it all depends......why not look in places such as Clapham or Streatham ....... or look in places that fit your budget and come back for advice from VTers. Can your friend not give you assistance? One son lives in Kennington, has lived in Streatham, and Bethnal Green, has friends in Putney and Fulham and they have no complaints. We have friends in Wimbledon, Kensington, Pimlico, Stockwell and Putney Bridge and they also have no complaints.

by gmartly

That's what I was looking for - names of specific areas. By the way it might sounds like I'm being lazy but I never rented a flat/room in my life plus I'm new to London so it's not so easy when you do that for the first time. If I could ask my friends trust me I'd do that but no one gives me any constructive answers. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

by Dulwich_Dog

You could try West Dulwich - it's a safe area, in zone three, about ten minutes by train to Victoria and you should be able to get a room in your price range.

by northeast80

I'd say Herne Hill, the train there goes to Victoria, you can use your Oyster card. It's not too far to Brixton if you wanted a tube.
Take a visit there and see what you think.

I've lived in Walworth, Peckham, Stockwell and Tulse Hill and nevber felt un safe but I suppose it depends what you're used to.

by gmartly

Thanks for all the advices :)

Travel Tips for London

Pub theatre - enjoyable experience

by ursa9

The Baron's Court Theatre

I took the advice of a friend and decided to see a play at the Baron's Court Theatre. I have never been to a pub theatre before. It is actually very small and intimate, situated in the cellar, and the play draws your attention even more than usual plays because actors are so close to the audience.

After the play (it was called "The Greatest Love Songs"), you can go upstairs, have a pint of nice beer and even talk to the actors as they come upstairs for a pint too. :-)

A very nice experience indeed! And it was not as expensive as "big" shows, it cost 12 GBP.

Address:

The Curtain's Up
28a Comeragh Rd
London
GR London
W14 9RH

Directions: Piccadilly/District Line to Barons Court Station then 2 minutes walk down Barons Court Road

This is a tough call to just...

by LeeParis

This is a tough call to just pick one 'must see.' The Tower of London is fascinating. Even with all the tourists, it is still such an interesting place to explore. Another place would be Westminster Abbey. Like the Tower, it sort of symbolizes the city and its rich history. Plus, it is gorgeous and you get to see the tomb of Queen Elizabeth I. I've been to London three times. On this latest journey, we had a special moment at St. Martin in the Fields church at Trafalgar Square. It was a rainy day. We stopped for refreshment in the Cafe in the Crypt downstairs (great pastry!). Then, we went up into the church to look around. We were lucky enough to happen upon a rehearsal of several musicians and a singer who would be performing that afternoon. They were marvelous. We sat in the pew and were just surrounded by wonderful music in a lovely setting.

Dull sky and no beaches

by iandsmith

I love the example VT suggest for your general tip, "Blue skies and beaches". I can't think of anything other than the Sahara that's further from that than the Thames is on a murky autumn day.
None of which is to construe for a moment that I didn't enjoy it. My youngest son used to work casual shifts on one of the pleasure craft in the foreground but my favourite memory from here is of "Cleopatra's Needle", just visible, left rear.
Read all about it in the next tip

Is this Suisse? Yes it is!

by irisbe

Just escaped Trocadero, what seemed to be more like the upper level of underworld, I walked direction Leicester Square to find myself in Little Suisse!
Glochenspiel? I will safe you the association when we hear this word, as it is totally different from what it is in reality.
What I discovered here was an automatic carillon outside the front of a store.
The Suisse Centre Glochenspiel will entertain you every day of the week on various times. A big board tells you, if you just have missed it and need to come again!
But Leicester square was pulling on me so I didn?t waited till the next bell performance.
A little further you could see a nice collection of Suisse suspected to be different Suisse coat of arms or weapon shields.

People watching

by ZanieOR

Obviously people watching could be considered a local custom anywhere, but it is definately worth indulging in London. To me ordinary people doing "ordinary" things can be endlessly fascinating (of course don't stare!), but there are always those that strike you as rather unusual.
For example, where else in the world can you find someone practicing yoga at the foot of a sculpture opposite Buckingham Palace?

Comments