London Elizabeth Hotel

Hotels.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Costs 52% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about London Elizabeth Hotel

A great place to stay

We just spent 7 nights at the London Elizabeth Hotel and loved it. We were upgraded to a Deluxe Twin at the back of the building which was spacious and quiet. The staff were very helpful and went out of their way to help us. One amenity not mentioned by the other reviewers is that they have hot water (although sometimes you had to let it run sometimes) for the shower/tub.

The location is great. I would recommend buying the London Transport travel pass which allows you unlimited use of the Tube and buses - you need to order it before you leave the States. You can get a map of all the bus routes at the Tube, although not all of them have the complete map (pink cover).

We also found several good restaurants within a five to 10 minute walk, and with the convenience of the Tube/bus you can get to more dining opitons quite quickly and easily. You can have high tea at the Orangery in the Kensington Palace enclave, which is located in Kensington Park across from the hotel.

We would stay at the hotel again and especially liked the $1=1 GBP promotion which definitely helped streched our dollars.

Buckingham Palace

by steph4867

This massive, graceful building is the official residence of the queen. The redbrick palace was built as a country house for the notoriously rakish duke of Buckingham. In 1762, King George III, who needed room for his 15 children, bought it. It didn't become the official royal residence, though, until Queen Victoria took the throne; she preferred it to St. James's Palace. From George III's time, the building was continuously expanded and remodeled, faced with Portland stone, and twice bombed (during the Blitz). Located in a 40-acre garden, it's 108m (360 ft.) long and contains 600 rooms. You can tell whether the queen is at home by whether the Royal Standard is flying from the mast outside. For most of the year, you can't visit the palace without an official invitation. Since 1993, though, much of it has been open for tours during an 8-week period in August and September, when the royal family is usually vacationing outside London. Elizabeth II agreed to allow visitors to tour the State Room, the Grand Staircase, the Throne Room, and other areas designed by John Nash for George IV, as well as the Picture Gallery, which displays masterpieces by Van Dyck, Rembrandt, Rubens, and others. The admission charges help pay for repairs to Windsor Castle, damaged by fire in 1992. You have to buy a timed-entrance ticket the same day you tour the palace. Tickets go on sale at 9am, but rather than lining up at sunrise with all the other tourists--this is one of London's most popular attractions--book by phone with a credit card and give yourself a few more hours of sleep.

Great Hotel

We stayed in two rooms (four adults) for a week at the London Elizabeth. We all think this is one of the best in its class hotels that we've ever visited. The staff bent over backwards to help us with everything from show tickets to restaurant/pub recommendations to internet access. The hotel is charming and well located. Yes, it's not the Ritz, but we were treated as welcomed and important guests and the rooms and amenities were far better than we expected. Every guest that we met at the hotel (mostly Americans, by the way) loved it. I don't give praise lightly, but the London Elizabeth is a really special place.

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member PdxJulie

Just returned from a 7 night stay at the London Elizabeth. We stayed in an Executive Room and used the $1 = 1GBP deal which was a great value considering the exchange rate. The room and the hotel were exactly as represented on the hotel's website. Our room was very comfortable, good bed, nice bathroom, fairly quiet. Location is good, but not too many restaurants or shops in the immediate vicinity. Tube is right across the street, and the A2 airbus from LHR stops right in front. A good value in an expensive city.

Great Location & Great Promotion

London Elizabeth is a nice hotel. My stay was for one week. Had great service, staff was very nice. Room was comfortable (Lancaster Suite for the price of deluxe double). Why I would recommend this hotel: 1) Great location: on the edge of Hyde park and about 50 yards from the underground station (Lancaster Gate tube, which is on the Central line to london), 2) They had a great European breakfast, a good start for the day, and 3) Their great 1pound to $1, if you pay with traveler checks or cash.

Great, If i'm in London again, I'm there

I stayed there for three days; my room was in the first floor. It is really nice place to be. Location is amazing, so close to everything.
People are friendly, breakfast is good, and the rate I got is really cheap. If you are going there I recommend to reserve at least two weeks ahead, I got half the price from the net.

charming in every sense of the word

great hotel!!! took advantage of the $ equals a pound promotion (ends march 31st....). very convienant location: can walk to paddington gate to catch the heathrow express, tube located less than half a block and a bus stop is located a few feet from the hotel. my brother and i stayed in an executive suite and there was more than enough space for us. the hotel is across the street from hyde park, we could see it from our windows. very clean and the staff was wonderful! it may not be the ritz, but it was very charming and suited our needs perfectly!

Location, Service & Value

by TripAdvisor Member Peggysuz

Booked a single room through ***************** and paid 50% of the listed rates. Hotel is superbly located with #12/94 bus stop at front door, tube station across the street and Hyde Park opposite. 5 minute walk from Paddington Station and Heathrow Express. Of many budget London hotels I have visited, this is the best value and most convenient. Especially good for women travelling alone - door equipped with peep hole and safety latch, safe in room, attentive front desk staff. Other conveniences: ceiling fan, hair dryer, windows that open easily, lift/elevator (tiny but operational), heated towel bar, small but powerful shower and Neutragena bath products provided, good Continental breakfast buffet. Non-smoking room asked for and provided. I would stay here again - absolutely! (as long as they don't boost the rates...)

Greatest deal in London!

The location is amazing- the staff is great! I would definately recommned this hotel! it is the best value you will find! Breakfast is good- people are great-Although Something to watch out for: make sure when you book that you ask for a room that is in the back [they are doing construction and the room in the front was very loud from the construction and traffic] They will do everything they can to ccomodate you! I have gone to london 5 times and this is the greatest place I hve found!

Suitable for one night only and then......

by TripAdvisor Member Fly.Eastern569

This hotel is suitable if you are desperate and then for one night only. The hotel is worn out and the continental breakfast served was only fair. The only redeeming quality of this hotel is the location.
The rate regular rate for single was adveretised as GBP100, tho I got it 30% less thru the internet. I shan't stay here again. By the way, the 10" TV was at least colour.

The Dock and Duck pub - LondonThe Dock and Duck pub - London

ExteriorExterior

The huge museum buildingThe huge museum building

computer-aided designcomputer-aided design

Where Do We Go For A Smashing Good Time At New Years?

by Smartblonde

My husband and I are flying into LHR on Boxing Day, and staying in London for six nights, at the London Elizabeth, overlooking Hyde Park. We love good beer, unpretentious people, and the blues. Any suggestions for New Years Eve from you experts?

RE: Where Do We Go For A Smashing Good Time At New Years?

by film

The big hotels usually do a big bash of some sort at New Year. Look for Timeout magazine, they usually do a guide to the best parties.

by Smartblonde

Thanks a lot, Film, for the good advice~~~you guys are great.
S.

by hicken

You could email The Blues Bar, which is in Soho, and ask if they're having a New Year's Eve party (most places sell tickets in advance for NYE). This is their website address:
www.aintnothinbut.co.uk

by Smartblonde

Hey, thanks, Hicken, I'll get ahold of them right away.
Some experts told me to be near the Thames, on the South Bank, when the New Year rings in, but some say to just find a good pub and immerse ourselves...

by hicken

Yep, that's the two schools of thought. There'll be huge crowds for fireworks at the London Eye on the South Bank, and Big Ben sounding at 12. (they show this on TV, which is shown in a lot of bars). It'll be absolutely jam packed so if you fancy being out on the streets that's the place.
Personally I did it once and hated it - I much prefer to track down a good party. But if you look for a party/bar around Soho/Covent Garden you can always walk down to the River if the urge suddenly takes you.

RE: RE: RE: Where Do We Go For A Smashing Good Time At New Years?

by Smartblonde

I went to The Blues Bar website, and it looked cool, but had no email capability that I could see, so I dropped them a racy post card yesterday about New Years, and will wait to hear.. If we go there, in Soho, as you say, we could be near the river; like you, we're not big on crowds. Well, it all sounds outstanding~~I can almost taste the ale now...
Thanks again, guys!