81 Kensington Gardens Square, London, W2 4 DJ, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Rated 14% higher but also costs 25% more than other 3 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

HOW SMALL IS SMALL?

The London House Hotel has 102 bedrooms in a small building. It advertises that it is ‘newly refurbished’. This often in London literally means that they have taken some large bedrooms and turned them into 2 bedrooms – with paper thin walls. How small was my single room? I could not move my suitcase into the room except just behind and blocking my door. Thankfully there wasn’t a fire. The room is literally just slightly wider than the bed. In fact the TV is on a bracket over the bed –watch you head! The bathroom was a contortionist’s dream come true. I mean tiny. I am slender and I barely got into the shower.

If you are a wide/big person – you have no chance of fitting in the small singes or shower. It’s a fact.

The LHH is ok I guess. I have stayed here twice. Thankfully I had quiet neighbours. You will hear them and what they are doing. The bed was good, can’t complain. My little fridge kept my drinks cold and the toiletries were good in the bathroom. I really did struggle to manoeuvre inside the room. And the ironing board I borrowed really didn’t fit in the room. It was that small.

On the plus side, it’s all modern. The hotel staff are indifferent unless you are very pleasant with them and they do warm up to you.

The neighbourhood is quiet with virtually no cars. You are a reasonable walk to tube/rail/pubs/restaurants. In terms of business, it’s not bad.

Unique Quality:

• Modern rooms
    • Small rooms
    • Free Wi-Fi
    • Climate controlled
    • Coffee/tea making facilities
    • Quiet neighbourhood
    • Well located for transport and dinning
    • Good mini-fridge, safe and hair dryer
    • Good beds
    • Good toiletries

Directions: Nearby transport:
    •Queensway tube - 7 minutes walking/ SE (Central Line)
    •Bayswater tube - 4 minutes walking/ SE (Circle Line & District Line)
    •Royal Oak tube - 12 minutes walking/ N (Hammersmith & City and Circle lines)

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

London House Hotel

I booked this hostel via Ryanair’s hostelworld website. I had some quite good experiences with the hostels I booked via them, with only one exception which was another Hostel in London (Hyde Park Inn). That’s how I found London House Hotel. Construction works took place during the time I was there, so the carpets on the staircase were dusty. However, as these works were halted during the weekend, I can’t say, if or how disturbing the noise was. What was a little disturbing was the fact that there were not enough keys for everybody in the dorm. So, I once arrived shortly after midnight and all the keys have been taken. The usual way in this case was that a staff member would open the room for you. However, that’s annoying, if you just want to go to the toilet or shower. On that night, I was told to knock the door as one of the other guys took the last key 15 minutes ago. The receptionist did not think about the fact that this would surely wake up everyone else in the room too…

Note that the decription is for a stay in a shared room. There are also private rooms, making this house a mixture of hotel and hostel.

Unique Quality: If there hasn’t been the problem with the key, I would have given this hostel a fourth satisfaction point. The rooms were OK, with a sink and even a TV. The only missing thing was probably a locker, but these were available close to the reception desk. Breaksfast was also fine. Nothing outrageous, but toast with butter and different choices of jam (edible jam, not like the sweetened stuff they give you at Hyde Park Inn), coffee and orange juice – all you can eat and drink, but nothing to take away. The showers were not the best, but as they are in progress of reconstruction, this is something I can look over. At least they were working and hot water was available. Location is great, very close to Bayswater tube station. The area is somewhat touristy with many other hotels and hostels around as well as restaurants and souvenir shops.

Directions: When leaving Bayswater tube station, turn left and walk until Whitelys shopping center. Turn left, Kensington Gardens Square is the second to the right.

• Natalya2006's Profile Photo

Stay near Kensington Gardens

We stayed in this hostel in August 2006 - private room for 2 persons with ensute shower was 48 pounds. Satisfactory for their price. A very good location, close to Kensington Gardens and Kensington Palace. Good transportation to tourist attractions.

Unique Quality: Free Interenet 0.5 hour. They gave us a map with discounts for some places. For example to Dali exhibition.

Directions: Bayswater tube station

• MARIPILI's Profile Photo

"cutre" but clean

old building, no beautifull rooms but very clean. service clean the room every day.

Unique Quality: situated in bayswater, nearest tube station bayswater, circle line. lost of restaurants;indian, chinese, japanese, morroco, thailand....
    quiet place next to the nice hyde park.

Directions: bayswater tube station second on your left( when getting to whiteleys shoping center). and second on your right.

• J_Antunes's Profile Photo

Central & Clean; Uncomfortable and badly run

London house hotel is a well located and clean spot in the Bayswater area. You will have all a traveller needs in 5 minutes walk. In my opinion the breakfast was quite good. Toasts and jam, milk, corn flakes, tea, juice, and you can eat how much you want. Internet access is free, although sometimes you might have to wait a bit to use it.
    The negative point is the management and the rooms. The people that were in the reception didn’t knew much (some said we could use the microwaves others said we couldn’t; they said that the lockers would give our money back, but they didn’t; we ask for an adapter they gave us 3 broken ones; they said that to Heathrow it would take 10 minutes by subway; she didn’t know that Bayswater Station was closed…).
    Then the room... I was sent to a basement. It was incredibly hot (I’m sure that in winter must be nice, but in one of the hottest weeks in London, it was a torment), the mattress was extremely uncomfortable, and the ceiling had holes. Besides that they were doing works, so one of the rooms nearby was totally smashed, and dust spread along the corridor. When we came back in the next day, we discovered that, without being told anything, the bathroom that served the rooms had been closed and smashed. The other bathrooms we were sent to were much worse. According to the American girl that was there with us, the showers of the 3rd floor where she was sent to, one was obstructed, and impossible to use while, the other, had a view over the parking lot, so anyone that was there could see her showering. So I guess it is a cheap place, relatively clean, but I don’t think they are that much interested in their guests well being or maintenance of the place.
    And by the way, phone there to book, because I had book through hostelworld, and there were some problems with it. The manager kindly told us that it was not of her business, that she had nothing to do with them, and we should have booked through the phone (although their website sends us to a hostelworld form).

Unique Quality: Free breakfast, linen and internet. Paid lockers, lauzy bathrooms and uncomfortable rooms.

Directions: Subway: Bayswater or, for a cheaper travel from Heathrow, Royal Oak (zone 2).
    Bus: 7,23,27,36 and 70.

Go up Queensway towards bishop bridge road, turn left on porchester gardens in the corner with Whitelys centre and turn the second left.

• Yijie's Profile Photo

Reasonably priced and good location

Service is prompt, the basic amenties are there and there is also free internet access on certain days of the week. The room is very clean, warm linen is provided and quite a good breakfast is included. If you are thirsty, buy a drink at the vending machine, it costs 50 pences only, cheaper than the stores outside. However, a disadvantage is that there is no elevator serving the floors.

Unique Quality: The hostel is located about 5 mins from two tube stations: Bayswater and Queensway, Bayswater being the nearer one. The location is very good, within zone 1 of London. If you want to eat some good fish and chips, Costas Fish Restaurant is just a tube station away at Notting Hill Gate. I would say this hostel is good value for money.

Directions: Out of either Bayswater or Queensway tube station, turn left and walk straight down until you see Whiteleys Shopping Centre. Then turn left again and walk straight down. It is behind the shopping centre.

• jim_my's Profile Photo

A big misunderstood!

It was nice. Eventhough the place was a bit old but it is nice and clean for a tight budget and the location is just great.

I think the review for this hotel is a bit misleading.

I surely will recommend it !

Unique Quality: The facilities was just basic but clean. The important fact is the great location. Just a few walks is the Bayswater Station and Queensway Station. And did I mention the shops, rows of shop, along it. Great for shopping and food

Directions: Remember to look for the Hotel sign

• magictravelers's Profile Photo

Cheap, clean and close to everything.

This was a fairly cheap hotel, close to 2 tube stations and many busses. In between HydePark and Nothing Hill. Steps from Kensingtong Park. It was clean, friendly staff (multilingual: Spanish, Polish, etc). Close to all kinds of restaurants(fast food, and nice ones) , convenience stores, supermarkets (2 bigs ones), post office, a mall. All you need to sleep. The only bad thing is the lack of an elevator to the upper floor rooms, no air conditioning. The quad room was big enough, but the triple (612) was just great. It even has a balcony and a TV. Did not try breakfast, we were told it wasn´t all that good, so we had breakfast at a small cafe near by.

Unique Quality: It is in the middle of everything, yet, not too loud. Internet access (1 pond for 1/2 hour), and close to everything.

Directions: Getting off at the Bayswater Tube station. Take a left to the corner (There is a Footlocker). On the corner, take a left nad in the next street, take a right. It is right there!

More about London House Hotel

Worst ever accomadation

I have never stayed in accomadation as bad as London House. I stayed in london house for eight nights, the kitchen was not suitable for one person letalone 3. The staff cleaned our room when we told them not to. Our room was left unlocked after cleaning.

The staff excluding one said one they would do something but would not follow it through.

I would never or could not recommend any one staying at London House.

Terrible and noisy

I went there to visit London, we stayed 5 nights and 3 on 5 nights were terrible
, there was a group of teenagers next to our room, because some group from school go to hostel, be aware because they are very noisy! ask before booking if they host school group at the hotel. The room was very small, the bunk bed were not comfortable, I even slept on the floor, the wall are so thin, I slept with ear plug for the 5 nights, (they saved my trip) not even a chair in the roome so we have to stand...I went to other hostel in the world and this one was the worst, The location was great , nice area...but thats it! the breakfast was ok, some toast and jam, the shower didnt had a door, so anyone cam come in and look at you! be careful
the staff was ok.

Disgusting

I don't know what kind of standards the people who liked this place have, but I was utterly disgusted with this hostel, and checked out the very next day. There was no elevator, construction is going in the hallway before you get upstairs, the rooms have no TV, phone, or chair, 1 long window in my single had no curtain (the view was the top of some building with trash and an old barbeque), it was cold, there's only 1 phone to share in their hallway, and though there is free internet, there are only 6 computers, so if they are filled you might as well bring your own laptop. The staff charges for you to use an adapter to plug things up, the toilets are located in random areas, and I was surprised to see a toilet...filled with....stuff...that would not flush. When I went to find a better toilet, it was full of either vomit or pee and the window above the toilet has huge broken gashes. If you can live in anything for a few days, then go for it, because the location is good and it's cheap, but if you appreciate simple, at least half-clean standards for the few days you are vsiting an area, don't book here.

Good, cheap lodging

by LauraWest

Through some internet & book research, I've come up with a few places, Rosedene Hotel Victoria, The Lodge in Paddington, Curzon House Hotel & London House Hotel. Does anyone have any personal experieinces with any of these to share? I'm looking for a good sleep, primarily & place to store my backpack during the day.

Comments