London Ryan - A Thistle Hotel

10-42 Gwynne Place, London, WC1X 9QN, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Terrible

• A2002's Profile Photo

Thistle Hotel - London Ryan.

It is quite out of the way of the main tourist sites, but luckily there's a bus 63 to the hotel from King's Cross. From the pictures on their website, it looks good. The lounge of the hotel looks comfy and modern and it certainly looks newly refurbished. The reception, lifts, breakfast room, leave me with another opinion. Old and not well managed. The waitresses in the breakfast room do not seems to know what they are doing...
    My incident is that my room rate includes English breakfast. I was given a coupon and not told what to do and so I asked, and the waitress asked me where I get the coupon from, as if I stole it from somewhere. Then I went for my English breakfast. Sausage, just half a sausage left and was told there's no more sausages. The scrambled eggs is on the way. So I asked, do I wait here or come back later. I was told, you can wait or come back. I waited for 5 minutes and decided I do not want any eggs. I found a place to sit and I told a waitress I need fork and spoon and she shouted to another waitress at the opposite end of the room to bring me one. Oh my goodness! How professional they are!
    Most importantly, the bedroom and bathroom, although small, are clean. Believe it or not, the size of the single room is the smallest I have ever stayed in a hotel. I had a slightly bigger single room in Tokyo!!!
    Well, I just went to London for shopping... so I am out most of the day. If you want a relaxing holiday, this is not the place.

Unique Quality: The hotel is beside a main road, but there's double glazed windows, so it is not that noisy. The lock of the room is quite "special" and I need a staff to show me how to open my assigned room!
    There's a TV, bathroom, shower, toilet, hair-dryer, trousers press, and maybe coffee making facilities. I had cups for coffee, 2 packets of coffee and 2 teabags on the desk, but without a kettle. hmm.. am I suppose to use the hot water from the sink? nah... dun bother. To operate the TV, search for and read any instructions you see on the desk to see how to operate the TV before you call the reception that "the TV is not working"! The TV is quite old and perhaps that model is already out of production long time ago.

Directions: Opposite a Holiday Inn. Only bus to get there is 63 from King's Cross going towards Holborn. Nearest Underground is King's Cross which is about 15 minutes walk away.

Comments