London Hotels

Our Members Say

• Terence101 profile photo Terence101
  • Reviews: 7

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Travel Lodge Heathrow Central: Better than Terminal 5 Travel lodge!

I stayed at this hotel in March 2013.It's about 10-15mins by bus from Heathrow airport.The hotel is right beside a busy road.This didn't make any difference.The hotel seemed to have good soundproofing.The hotel's entrance is a lift!I found the staff friendly/professional at the reception.The room I had was clean/tidy.The mattress on the bed was firm and clean(sheets).This time all the lights worked!Also, the remote control was the one for the television!I had booked an evening meal & breakfast in advance.Again,it was cheaper than paying on the day.The meal was reasonably good value for money.They seemed to have a different menu than Terminal 5.I went to bed about 10ish.I slept very well.The only noise I heard was early the next morning(door banging). Breakfast was sausages and scrambled eggs,cereal.There wasn't a large quantity of cooked food put out at once.But,it was first thing in the morning.The airport bus comes into the car park of the hotel.So,there isn't that far to walk.Also,there's a machine in the reception to buy bus tickets.I would happily stay at this Travel Lodge again!

Free wifi in bar area.Very close to Heathrow airport.

• Written November 14, 2013

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1826

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Chelsea Bridge Hotel: Great hotel, misleading name.

Living in London, I naturally have pretty few hotel tips as I normally manage to get home in good order but every so often (because it is paid for by someone else!) I have occasion to stay in a hotel in the city. One such occasion was in October 2013 when I found myself in the Chelsea Bridge Hotel and this gives rise to the title of this tip. This hotel is very cleverly named as it is actually not in Chelsea at all but it undoubtedly gets plenty of trade from people looking at the name and thinking that it is. I remember a few years ago that estate agents (realtors for our american readers) were touting an area called South Chelsea. I worked in Chelsea and there is no such concept as south Chelsea, it is basically an area generically known as Batersea. Nothing wrong with Battersea, it is OK, but it is an attempt to con the consumer.

OK, so they are trying a little "creativity" in their advertising, so what is the place actually like? Actually, it is very good and extremely comfortable. Arriving pretty late, the staff were very friendly and helpful and o getting to the room, it was very well appointed as I hope the images convey. Again, apologies, I am having serious camera problems lately and I have apologised on an awful lot of pages here on VT lately. I am getting is sorted, believe me!

As I say, the room was delightful, spacious and with all the usual "trimmings", TV, tea and coffee making facilities and, what I thought was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in a hotel room. They had a white leather sofa. It was gorgeous, I loved it but consider the position. White leather in a hotel room? It was already half-scuffed with what were obviously people's shoe marks on it. Lovely idea but not really practical.

The bathroom was spotless, plenty of hot water, nice big fluffy towels, just about everything you would want really.

The stay was wonderful, staff delightful, room excellent and my only quibble with this hotel is location. It really is in the middle of nowhere. If you don't drive or like to walk a lot, this place really is a little out of the way. This, of course, gives it the advantage (being offroad) of no road noise and a good nights sleep.

In the morning I opened the curtains and was rewarded with the iconic vision which, infortunately, my dodgy camera does not do justice to. Right out of my wondow was the world-famous Battersea Power Station, as featured on the cover of a Pink Floyd album and Heaven knows how many images elsewhere. It was worth staying here just for that, I just wish my camera had been functioning properly and therefore I cannot offer a decent image here.

This is a very fine hotel, it really is good, just don't be fooled by the clever marketing and think it is in Chelsea, it is nowhere near. Still recommended.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written November 13, 2013
Tip Photo

Chelsea Bridge Hotel, London, UK.

• Terence101 profile photo Terence101
  • Reviews: 7

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Travel lodge Terminal 5: I'm glad it was for only one night!

We stayed there before we flew to Budapest,March 2012.It's very close to Heathrow airport.There is a regular bus service that goes to it.The hotel itself is a bit run down.It seems to be used by builders and workman.The room l had was clean and tidy.But,not all the lights worked.The bed was firm and clean.The bathroom was also clean and tidy.Both were of a good size.The remote for the television was a universal type.I couldn't get it to work.So,l went down to the reception.The receptionist didn't seem too happy to see me.After a huff,I was told that people steal the proper remotes.There was a workman beside me.He offered me his remote.Which worked!
We prepaid our evening meal and breakfast.It was a lot cheaper than paying for it on the evening.The menu was reasonable.I wouldn't of had it if I had the choice.Later in the evening l used the down stairs toilet.The toilet had a large crack in it.I went to bed about 10ish.I slept reasonably.There were a few doors banging in the night.But this is expected in this kind of place.The breakfast was scrambled egg and sausages and tomatoes.As I said,I'm glad it was only for one night!
The Travel Lodge at Heathrow Central was a lot better!I used it in March.

Close to Heathrow airport.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written November 13, 2013

• sparkieplug24 profile photo sparkieplug24
  • Reviews: 203

Ibis Styles Leyton: Ibis styles Leyton

Ibis Styles Leyton is a hotel in the zone 3 area of London in the east end not Far from London Stratford and Elizabeth park (Olympic park).

The hotel is a little bit out of the main part of London and 20 minutes walk from the nearest tube station but their is plenty of buses in the area and a bus journey is only a few minutes to the tube station then its 20-25 minutes to victoria station from here so you need to allow around 35-45 minutes for a journey to all the main sites.

However that said we enjoyed our stay here which for £59 per night for two people included continental breakfast and wifi.

The hotel was nice but is in two buildings if booking ensure your request a room in the main building. We booked a double and got a triple. The room was much larger than most others I stayed at in central London. We really enjoyed this hotel the beds and bathroom were clean although the bathroom really needed a complete revamp paticularly the shower. We would stay here again as we enjoyed it hee

the bar, reception, breakfast area is painted in many different colours. Not to everone taste but I liked it. Breakfast was only continental but plenty of choice and croissants where always fresh and warm.

also tea, coffee and mineral water available from the refreshments area and their are free to use computers with internet access in lobby/bar area. Free wifi is included inthe price

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written October 25, 2013

• Dabs profile photo Dabs
  • Reviews: 4102

Holiday Inn Express Slough: Hotel in suburban London

I thought about putting this review in Slough but I doubt that anyone would ever see it as who the heck wants to stay in Slough? But it was the best of a bunch of bad options for us, Mr. Dabs needed to be at Bray Lake at 6:30am on Saturday, leaving from London we would have had to take a very expensive cab ride.

So who stays in Slough? The 1st night it seemed like almost no one, the 2nd night we woke up the next morning to find a giant group of German tourists on a bus trip eating all the eggs and beans.

The location, for what we needed, was great. It was 2 minutes on foot to the train station that goes into London Paddington, it was 8.50£ one way, 8.70£ for a cheap day return, the express train only took 15 minutes. it was 5 minutes from the bus station that goes to Heathrow. There's an enormous 24 hour Tesco next to the bus station. Nothing is close to Bray Lake, it was a £20 car ride to get there from Slough. The car service called by the hotel had no idea where it was, fortunately we had printed out a map as GPS didn't know where it was either.

The free breakfast was very good, there was scrambled eggs, sausage, baked beans, toast, pastries, juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, fruit, yogurt, cheese.

The room was fine, probably the best bed we had on the trip, spacious with a loveseat and a desk. There was tea and coffee service in the room.

Free wifi in room, other reviews suggest that parking is not free so check if you are driving.

• Written September 11, 2013

• Dabs profile photo Dabs
  • Reviews: 4102

Tune Hotel Paddington: The Ryan Air of hotels

Tune Hotels are a newer addition to the London hotel market, most of their hotels seem to be in Asia. It appears that the Tune in Paddington has been open since summer 2012, there are three other locations in London-Westminster, King's Cross and Liverpool Street.

The concept is that you pay for the room with a bed and then literally everything else will cost you extra. During the booking process you get to select which items you need, the Comfort Package is automatically added for 10£ which includes TV, wifi, towel rental & toiletries, hairdryer and in room safe, you have to deselect if you want less. Luggage was an extra 2.50£ per bag, just for the large bags, using a credit card was an extra 10%.

Let's start with what I liked about the hotel, it is a decently priced hotel in a very high hotel cost market. You can save money by eliminating options you don't use. The hotel is only a year old so it's very clean. All of the rooms have air conditioning. If you need to stay near Paddington, it is very convenient.

Now what I didn't, the lowest level of room comes without a window, you are below ground level and you will hear the tube that runs from Paddington to Edgware Road, perhaps they could add that on as an extra, a simulation of the Blitz package! Fortunately that stops when the tube stops running.

The bed had about as much cushion as the floor and the pillows didn't add much, I supplemented mine with my towel which is extra, who travels without taking a shower and needing a towel? I asked just to make sure it wasn't a supplement for a decent towel, as it was quite a nice towel, but indeed you get no towel unless you add it on.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, it was one of the worst nights sleep I've had while traveling. But the concept is great for those on a budget, in the off season it looks like rates are as low as £45 per night.

• Written September 8, 2013

• Lizbeth7346 profile photo Lizbeth7346
  • Reviews: 4

Premier Inn Hanger Lane: It's Bigger on The Inside

Came in to London for a school trip, and we stayed in the Inn for two nights. The room was very spacious and it had to be because there were four of us sharing the room. We had one Queen size bed and then two twins(?) and there was still room for all our bags. And of course room to walk around in. All four of us and we never felt crowded.
The bathroom was very clean and quite nice.
There was free Wi-Fi for a certain amount of hours (which was great for all us teens).
My Vegetarian Dinner was a Veggie Burger and it was scrumptious. I loved it! And their breakfast was just as good with Croissants, Muffins, Yogurt and many other choices.
There was also a extra more variety breakfast for a little extra which appeared to have many delicious choices.
I don't remember if they had an elevator. If they did it was quite small, and we all ended up dragging our bags up the stairs. It wasn't that bad though and a friend of mine and I found some holographic car stickers on the staircase that made the whole experience quite worth it (We are both in fact 17).

The front desk man was very helpful with questions. I wasn't afraid to ask him like the Six or so questions I had. Which was good because as a teenager it is my usual duty to be awkward talking to adults.
WI-FI!!!
Located very close to the Hanger Lane Station of the Tube.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: School Holidays, Business Travel
  • Written August 1, 2013

• Kuznetsov_Sergey profile photo Kuznetsov_Sergey
  • Reviews: 4786

Royal Sussex Hotel: Close to Hyde Park

We spent three nights in this hotel in May of 2004.
It is located Close to Paddington Station (5 minutes walk). From Paddington Station walk left down Praed Street, then make a right turn onto Norfolk Place, followed by a left turn for Sussex Gardens. It is a privately owned 3 star hotel.

You can watch my 2 min 05 sec Video Royal Sussex Hotel in London out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Royal Sussex Hotel has simply decorated rooms that have private bathroom facilities, trouser press, TV, direct-dial telephone and hairdryer. The Zebra Club is home to the hotel's bar and restaurant where you can order dinner or socialise after a day in the city.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written June 26, 2013

Royal Sussex Hotel

• Britannia2 profile photo Britannia2
  • Reviews: 1114

Union Jack Club: For a certain type of employee

The Union Jack club is a large 24 floor high hotel for members of the Armed Forces from the UK but across the world too and these people get full membership of the club. If you are ex forces from the UK or across the world , or work in UK government, the NHS, Police, Fire Service etc you are allowed temporary membership. All this means is you pay a slightly higher fee for your room than members. However this must the best value hotel in central London - my single room cost me £45 and breakfast was £8. (May 2013).
There is a restaurant - main courses about £8 each , an internet suite, a library , a bar and a coffee shop.
The staff are efficient and friendly and the rooms clean but basic. Mine was also not en suite but for one night I was OK with this.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written May 27, 2013
Tip Photo

The view from my room one way

• zuriga profile photo zuriga
  • Reviews: 466

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Premier Inn - King's Cross: Eurostar is right there!

I recently stayed at the Kings Cross Premier Inn while my husband had surgery at a nearby hospital. We live south of London and rarely stay in the city itself, but this was a great choice. The hotel was modern with a very good restaurant and the Tube is right there to take travellers anywhere in London and quickly. Also, the Eurostar terminal is down the street at St. Pancras station - a five minute walk.

The staff at this location were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are basic but very clean and quiet.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Trains, Family Travel
  • Written May 7, 2013

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3546

LUXURY INN: MY FAVOURITE B&B IN LONDON

Ok. I have to admit that I decided not to write a tip about this fantastic oasis of peace and tranquillity in central London for 2 years – because I was worried you might book it before I could. They only have 7 rooms! I love this place. I have stayed here at least 4 times that I can easily remember. I have tried to stay here many more times than that. This is just the best. Rarely does an accommodation – especially in London – actually look like the website photos. I booked this gem on hotels.com. Even before I arrived I was telephoned by Rey (who I never met) to make sure I was still coming and if I needed anything. In fact the staff never leave the property until the evening and they keep asking if you need anything. After that – this is your home and they are a phone call away. It really feels like being a guest in someone’s house who just left for the weekend.

When I arrived I was impressed that it looked like the website on the outside, it was on a quiet street and that there were several nice pubs and restaurants nearby.

When James opened the door and took me upstairs – I saw the fantastic communal area. An open plan lounge, dinning room and kitchen with a great desk for the computer. There was fresh fruit for snacks on the table. The espresso machine had dozens of different ‘pellets’ at the ready. The kitchen was fully stocked with everything needed to cook and dish it up.

Then I was shown my room. WOW! A great looking bed with a wonderful mattress. A nice looking room overlooking the Japanese Garden. My bathroom was chic and modern. The closet doors were actually massive mirrors. The TV had zillions of channels and I even had a nice desk. The air-conditioning was just right. James left me and I promptly had a mega nap for an hour. After that a trip to a great restaurant nearby.

The other times I stayed here at the palace, I decided to cook. With a £25 meal allowance from work – you can have a lot of steak, prawns, cheese and red wine for 1 business person. One very happy business person.

I have stayed in both the en-suite and rooms with a shared bathroom. I never had a problem accessing the shared bathroom. I also never seemed to see the other guest or have competition for the computer or TV remote control.

I have enjoyed several nights here cooking for myself, watching the TV and just having a great night in here in central London. I have never had a better evening of tranquillity on business here than I have had staying here.

If you find yourself working in the area – stay here and DIY (Do It Yourself). You will just love it.

Quiet, great beds and a home away from home.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• Just 7 rooms ! Book early and often.
• Wonderful modern kitchen you can use, dinning room and TV watching area
• Breakfast is included – with really fresh fruit
• Free espresso machine, coffee and tea 24/7
• Free Wi-Fi and a computer with broadband
• Laundry facilities – a washer and dryer you can use!
• Great beds
• Quiet
• Help with any tickets and tours
• Hair dryers and irons/ironing boards – just ask

• Car parking is only £3 a day! Reserve early !!!!!!

ROOMS:
• Air-conditioned
• Coffee/tea making facilities
• Great TV with many channels
• iPod docking stations
• Free Wi-Fi
• Great beds and bathrooms
• Some rooms share a bathroom
• Access to the garden

• Related to: Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Women's Travel
  • Written April 18, 2013

LUXURY INN

• Londontrip11 profile photo Londontrip11
  • Reviews: 2

Holiday Inn: Good placed hotel in the heart of London

We stayed in the hotel "Holiday Inn" a full weekend. We had a big family room with 4 beds. The room was very clean and confortable. Unfortunately, the breakfast is not included and you have to pay 10 £. The wireless internet access is also not included and you have to pay another 20£ for 24 hours on 2 devices. However, the hotel is really nice and good located. You are 2 minutes away from the Oxford Street.

Good location next to the Oxford Street.

• Written April 15, 2013
Tip Photo

• soboring profile photo soboring
  • Reviews: 1

Acorn Of London: Short term accomodation

Hotel and B&B are quite expensive.
What I can suggest you and what I did last summer during the Olympic is renting a short stay apartment. My friends and I were 5 and stayed in an apartment at Russell sqare, for 7 nights, it came up to £30/ night per person, quite interesting (especially during the Olympics), self catering, so most of the time we cooked ( much more cheaper than going out for each meal). The company we stayed with is called Acorn of London.

+ central London
+self catering
+ not to expensive especially for big groups

• Related to: School Holidays, Women's Travel, Family Travel
  • Written November 23, 2012

• sserrato profile photo sserrato
  • Reviews: 1

Tune Hotels - Westminster: Inexpensive Rooms & Great Locations

Check out Tune Hotels -
The rooms are small, but the prices and locations are awesome. You don't get all the amenities you would in a "normal" hotel, but they're whole thing is "5 star beds, 1 star prices"

I stayed in the Westminster hotel and it was less than a 10-minute walk to Big Ben/South Bank

The bed was amazing, and the showers were great! Not to mention it was within walking distance of most touristy areas and if not, the tube station was across the road!

• Written October 8, 2012

• alectrevor profile photo alectrevor
  • Reviews: 1201

Travelodge Kings Cross Royal Scot: Handy for central London

Travelodge basic quality. Clean and comfortable . 10 minutes walk from Kings cross and Eurostar terminal. Cafe and Bar.

For London this hotel is good value at around £59 for room.

• Written September 13, 2012