London Hotels

Our Members Say

• sserrato profile photo sserrato
  • Reviews: 1

Tune Hotels - Westminster: Inexpensive Rooms & Great Locations

Check out Tune Hotels -
The rooms are small, but the prices and locations are awesome. You don't get all the amenities you would in a "normal" hotel, but they're whole thing is "5 star beds, 1 star prices"

I stayed in the Westminster hotel and it was less than a 10-minute walk to Big Ben/South Bank

The bed was amazing, and the showers were great! Not to mention it was within walking distance of most touristy areas and if not, the tube station was across the road!

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written October 8, 2012

• alectrevor profile photo alectrevor
  • Reviews: 1269

Travelodge Kings Cross Royal Scot: Handy for central London

Travelodge basic quality. Clean and comfortable . 10 minutes walk from Kings cross and Eurostar terminal. Cafe and Bar.

For London this hotel is good value at around £59 for room.

• Written September 13, 2012

• antistar profile photo antistar
  • Reviews: 2792

Radison Blu Edwardian: Heathrow: Edwardian Charm

It's in a horrible location - only convenient location for air travelers with no shops or restaurants nearby. It's accessible only by road, i.e. taxi. But for all that it's an impressive and pleasant hotel. The lobby is grand, with a great faux-chandelier hanging over everything. It's so impressive that the guests line up to take photographs of themselves there. The rooms are big for London, and comfortable. Without shops and restaurants nearby, it's good to know that the one in the hotel is actually pretty good. Even the bar serves up decent grub.

• Written September 1, 2012

Radison Blu Edwardian, Heathrow Airport

• antistar profile photo antistar
  • Reviews: 2792

Best Western Premier Shaftsbury: Kensington

When I visited this hotel it seemed to be sprawling across several buildings in the street, which didn't give me confidence. Usually when I'm led across the street from the reception I'm being taken to some less than promised alternative accommodation. That might have been the case here, as the room was so small that dressing was a struggle. There could have been barely half a meter between the bed and the wall. It was also dark and dingy, with limited light from small windows at head height. Apart from that it was clean enough and well equipped.

The location was great, in a central part of Kensington near the Earl's Court station. The street was pretty quiet by London standards, and there was plenty of places to eat and drink nearby. A good spot to stay in London.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written August 27, 2012

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3726

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

TUNE HOTEL - LIVERPOOL STREET: LISTENING TO THE NEIGHBORS PEE

I found this Tune Hotel location by accident on the internet. I was really excited because it’s very close to work when I am in London and it was way below my budget. That keeps the boss happy. It all looked good when I arrived. The hotel is modern, clean, bright, has a lobby bar and my room looked nice. Very nice. Tiny, but nice. I had air-conditioning, Wi-Fi (chargeable, but given to me for free) and a nice looking bed. Notice – I said it looked good. The bathroom was cramped, but modern. I stayed in room 230 and I thought this would be great. I also noticed my in-room safe and plasma TV. No closet, but some hangers. What do you want at this price?

I went out for a meal and noticed that the lobby even had a coffee offering behind the reception. Nice.

When I came back with my takeaway food, I started to notice the weirder elements of this hotel. First I landed on the bed and realised the mattress was beyond cheap. Not good. Then I noticed there was a single foot towel in the bathroom. And no soap or any other toiletry. Me being me – I went to see if I could find an unlocked cleaners room. I did. No soap, shampoo or towels – other then the small foot towels.

OK. Back to my tiny room with a few foot towels and sat on my bed eating. That’s when the neighbors (Irish) came into their room. She had a no. 1 in the bathroom and he had a no. 2. I hope never to ever be in a hotel again where I can hear – easily – what people are doing in the toilet. I was absolutely horrified. When I tried to sleep on my rubbish bed I could hear these folks word for word. I spoke to them through the way and asked if they would turn down their TV. They turned it off n went to bed. Nice people.

Anyway I had a poor bed and sleep.

I won’t be staying here or at any of their locations again. For London – it’s cheap. For me – it’s a night on business expenses and I have work in the morning.

It is Out of Tune for me!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written August 9, 2012

TUNE HOTEL - LIVERPOOL STREET

• Dabs profile photo Dabs
  • Reviews: 4149

Ibis Budget Whitechapel: Budget lodging in London's east end

I happened upon a post about a new Ibis hotel opening in Whitechapel and the rate was fantastic, 44£ for the 1st nights and 60£ for the other 4 nights. The hotel is brand new, they seem to have built the entrance inside a former car showroom and then up.

I reserved a double room as it was the same price as a twin. When I arrived very early in the morning from Heathrow, they first said it would be an extra 10£ to check in early and then said, sorrry, we were fully booked last night and that's not an option.

I think the area around the hotel is interesting with a lot of ethnic shops and restaurants. It's located on Whitechapel Road which is a very busy street at all times of the day. It was equidistant from the Aldgate East and Whitechapel tube stations and there is a bus stop almost right outside the hotel. It wasn't an inconvenient as I originally thought, the Tower of London is just a tube stop away, you can walk to many of the east end markets and a couple of the major train stations, Waterloo and King's Cross/St. Pancras, are just a few stops away

For those unfamiliar with the Ibis chain, Ibis hotels offer basic cheap accomodation with no frills. The beds are typically about as basic as you can get, there are no additional amenities like room safes, refrigerators, irons, tea service or hair dryers. But they are clean, very affordable and comfortable enough. Some of the Ibis budget hotels are formerly Etap hotels, this one is brand new as of June 2012.

Wifi was free, at first they gave you a new code every day, mid stay they gave me a code for the rest of my stay.

A buffet breakfast is extra, I didn't take it but it looked to be reasonably priced, 4-5£.

Although next to a mosque, I only heard the prayer call once, the windows seem to insulate the outside noise. The rooms have a/c so you don't really need to open the windows, in any case, there was a lock on the windows and they only opened a crack.

The double room I stayed in, room 610, had the shower enclosure inside the room so when you stepped out, you were inside the bedroom, not a bathroom. The toilet is behind a separate door. Because this is an Ibis budget hotel and not a regular Ibis, I think even the twin rooms have this configuration so it might be awkward if you are traveling with someone you don't want to see naked.

• Written July 24, 2012

Ibis Whitechapel

• wise23girl profile photo wise23girl
  • Reviews: 758

Hyde Park Thistle: Another Thistle

Our arrival was a little disorganized with our room not being ready and our not being able to understand the receptionist very well... but never mind a few apologies later the beautiful room overlooking Hyde park made up for that. And the room is spacious.

Thistle Hyde Park is an elegant lady... interesting yet beautiful decor...the carpet in our room for example looks a bit like a tartan in brown and taupe with a touch of cream. And notice the drapes over the bed and in the dining area.

The restaurant area is charming and overlooks Hyde Park We enjoyed our meal...just look at the photos and you will notice the downstairs powder room is really 'something' so do go to the 'loo' downstairs.

Thistle Hotels have a new 'Signatures' loyalty programme and we gained some free wifi time by joining...other benefits only come when we stay again.... Never mind we usually stay with one of the Thistles anyway.

Some very special decor is found in the corridor near reception and especially in the "powder room" see photo). You could well enjoy the paintings....and the solid wooden doors are magnificent....did I forget the chandeliers?

I noticed there is gluten free bread available and they will cater for your dietary needs especially with a little notice....but not always

There has not been a porter around since our arrival so be prepared to manage your luggage.

There are a few stairs at the entrance....and no ramp that I saw.

There is a drive in entrance which is great for loading luggage....rather than out in the middle of the street.

• Related to: Food and Dining, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written June 25, 2012

Our breakfast nook

• funkycarla8 profile photo funkycarla8
  • Reviews: 4

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

County Hotel: Worst Hotel in London!

This hotel is the worst hotel i've ever stayed in! A friend of mine booked it for a 1 night stay for 3 of us.

The toilets and showers were down the hall and the room was extremely basic, this i could normally deal with. However when i'd first walked in i felt like i had stepped back in time! The lift was very small, 3 of us struggled to fit in with a small over night bag each. The reception and whole feel of the building was like being in a murder mystery film.

The receptionist was extremely unfriendly and very unhelpful. The porter was about the same but at least he smiled!

There was 2 single beds in our room, a small wash basin, shelf under a mirror which i'm guessing was a mini dressing table ans a side table by each bed.

We spent most of our night walking round London as we really didn't want to be spending the night there but couldn't afford to change hotels.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written June 18, 2012

• jetwind profile photo jetwind
  • Reviews: 148

The Corinthia: Pure Pure Luxury

I don’t normally stay somewhere quite so opulent especially on a travel agent salary, but this was competition prize and I was more than happy to live the dream and see how the other half live. The hotel is situated in Whitehall is just a short walk from the Embankment and Trafalgar square. Upon arrival the doormen opened the doors and was gently guided towards the check in area. Unlike most hotels the check felt relaxed and serene and after telling the front desk to close the post (no charging to room) we very courteously escorted to our room and showed us the amenities with it.
As I said before I don’t normally stay in such I standard and word, “wow” was uttered by myself one than once in the space of ten minutes. The room was massive with a king size bed, massive plasma screen TV in table and chairs, a chaise lounge and a bathroom to die for ladies.
The bathroom had a tube big enough for two people and the also housed a LCD, with a surround sound system with the bathroom. It had a separate shower area which was the most wonderful rain shower type and there was also bidet. The usual complementary soaps was completed with massage gloves and every conservable option imaginable.

In the evening the maid service offers a turndown service leaving the most delightful chocolate and fresh spring water by the bed. It was the little touches such moving the TV remote from near the TV to placing it next to the bed so you don’t even need to get up to turn on Tele.

The hotel had a Harrord’s outlet on site and a fabulous spa area which offered its guest a level of peace and serenity match only in the far east spas.

The hotels ranking is five stars and the closest competitors are The Dorchester, The Savoy and The Langham.

The building opened in 1885 as the Hotel Metropole, the sister hotel to the Savoy and later during the second world war became the home of the MOD (Ministry of Defence). Today after a complete gutting withibn only the outer shell remains the same, the sumbious interior is all new.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Trains
  • Written June 1, 2012

The Corintha viewed from the Embankment

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3726

CITY HOTEL: THE ROLLERCOASTER

This is my favourite budget hotel in London. It is located right on the famous Brick Lane (Indian restaurants), it’s convenient for my work, central London and its right next to 2 tube stations. Why the rollercoaster? Because their prices go form very cheap to very over-priced. If you book them in advance you can often get a great deal. The staff are lovely and the one time I had a noisy neighbours the staff told them to literally go to bed. They did. The first room I ever stayed in was a former apartment and I had 2 massive bedrooms, 4 beds, living room and a former kitchen area. Rooms are well equipped. All have air-conditioning, large fridge, coffee/tea facilities, good toiletries, safe, magazines (i.e. Time) and are clean. The décor is basic, but who cares. The beds are reasonable and the rooms are quiet. Ask for a room facing away from the road. It’s not a noisy road, but the back of the building is silent at all times.

They have a nice bar called The Lane and a good restaurant called the The Kapok Tree that serves a large Pan Asian menu. If that’s not good enough, you have the famous Brick Lane on your doorstep. In addition to world class Indian Restaurants you also have a South African (excellent) and some Thai restaurants.

This is my hotel of first choice in London on my business budget. They also remember repeat customers and look after you.

Newspapers are complimentary, but wi-fi starts at £2 for an hour.

City Hotel is the sister hotel of the London Guards Hotel near Paddington and Hyde Park. It is also quiet and good value as well.

* Great prices (sometimes)
* Quiet
* On Brick Lane
* Well located

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Food and Dining
  • Written May 27, 2012

ONE OF THE BIG 'ROOMS'

• monicarc profile photo monicarc
  • Reviews: 158

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Savers Apartments: cheap, but not clean, flat in good area

This was a one room studio apartment we booked through apartelle. We liked that there was no security deposit (you just paid a portion of your balance prior to arrival to hold, which was credited to you), there was a refrigerator and kitchen sink, plus it slept 4. Plus it was in a great area, in bayswater, like a 15 minute walk to the princess diana playground and there were lots of grocery stores/boots all over. It was the cheapest, best location flat we could find. However, the room was not particularly clean. we would not stay there again. But, if you are perhaps travelling solo (we have little children) and don't mind things a bit grubby, the place is well located and the price is good. It was also a bit loud at night.

• Written May 4, 2012

• bonio profile photo bonio
  • Reviews: 2482

Travelodge Farringdon: Travelodge Farringdon

One of the several Travelodge hotels around London. This one conveniently close to The Eurostar terminal at St Pancras.
As ever a clean and comfortable room, tea and coffee supplied, at a great price.
Book early for best prices.
No problems at all and very happy to revisit here in the future.

• Written March 20, 2012

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1893

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Days Hotel Shoreditch: Convenient but uninspiring.

This is yet another one of those fairly soulless places aimed primarily at the business market. It' location is probably it's best selling point in this regard as it is walkable distance from Liverpool Street and the financial district.

Certainly, there is nothing wrong with it, the room was clean and comfortable, the communal areas similarly clean and the staff efficient and polite throughout. It has all the facilities you would expect, wifi is available, aircon, flatscreen TV, laundry service etc. etc. there are disabled friendly rooms and disabled parking. On the subject of parking, facilities for able-bodied guests attract a charge of £20 per day.

There is a bar / restaurant there but I did not try it as I know much better places nearby. I don't really frequent hotel bars or restaurants as I find them all a bit sterile and homogenous.

I have not forgotten to append a telephone number to this tip but, bizarrely, there is not one shown on the website, or any other website I can find.

In summary then, perfectly adequate but nothing exciting.

There are no unique qualities here.

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written December 23, 2011
Tip Photo

Days Hotel Shoreditch, London, UK.

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1893

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cardiff Hotel, Paddington: Adequate but nothing special.

Although describing itself as a hotel, this place is really just a glorified, if rather large, bed and breakfast. It certainly doesn't have any of the communal rooms you would associate with the term hotel and breakfast is the only meal served, there isn't a bar. Having said all that, it is not too bad, just one of a great number of similar establishments that proliferate in this area.

Check in was friendly and efficient, the room and bed comfortable enough with ensuite facilities in rather a cramped bathroom, and the breakfast the next day perfectly acceptable, albeit the breakfast room was pretty crowded.

I really am struggling to find anything else to say about this place except perhaps that it's proximity to Paddington Station (a short walk) may make it appealing to some.

The price quoted is for a double room.

There are no unique qulaities that I can think of.

• Written September 25, 2011
Tip Photo

Cardiff Hotel, London, UK.

• littlebush profile photo littlebush
  • Reviews: 1132

Apex London Wall: Apex London Wall

Just a 5min walk from Moorgate tube, this place is great.
Located in the city means at weekends its extremely quiet as nothing is open in the city.
The hotel is a boutique modern hotel with everything you need and great interior in the rooms.
At £100 night (room only) this is good value.
We haad looked for a double room in a hostel but they were £75 so an extra £25 well spent.
it has complementary pringles and water but you pay for the minibar.
it has a gym, which is small but has enough for a workout.
it has a bar/restaurant which we didnt use but looks nice and menu looks good, its called ;off the wall'

overall a good place