Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel

Hanuted Mansion?

by lonestar_philomath about Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

This is a grand old mansion in the English countryside. I can remember getting to my room, I would walk down one hallway, and turn into the next, but small hallway. My room was in a hallway which seemed to be only 4-5 feet wide and my room was small and cramped but adequate. When walking through the building at night, I always though I heard someone following me even though no one was seen! Even though not advertised, I think it is haunted.

Overrated

by TripAdvisor Member puffling

I recently stayed at Frimley Hall hotel for one night during the Darts Championships at Lakeside after looking at various properties on the internet. The impression which I got of the hotel from their website led me to believe that this was a country house hotel. The reality is that the hotel is located on a residential housing estate and is more of a new, modern build.
Good points during my stay were room service which was prompt and the burger and chips which I ordered was of good quality. Bad points were that the staff tended to treat the hotel bar like their own social club and to my dismay if they brought a drink to your table from the bar - a mere 6 feet - you were saddled with an extra 12.5pc service charge. Checkout do not inform you of the service charge and also the charity donation of £1 which is added without you being informed. In summary I felt like the hotel was trying to find any way to make me part with my cash. This did not make me feel like a welcome guest. I would not stay at the Frimley Hall hotel again and would not recommend.

A good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SuffolkHotelhopper

I have read mixed reviews about this place. My two experiences of Frimley Hall have both been good. The only negative point is that on one of my stays, a wedding reception was being held, which meant that the lounge/bar was full of loud, drunk revellers.

Lovely surprise / Relaxing break

by TripAdvisor Member cathyzh

We had read the reviews about Frimley Hall prior to our stay and therefore visited with an open mind. Comments as follows:

The front of the building was very impressive with beautiful grounds, lawns and friendly squirrels. As you follow the carpark around the back of the hotel, there is a strange mish-mash of newer annexes, which detracts from the hotel's appearance. Once inside, however, you don't notice and the decor is pretty immaculate.

We received a warm welcome from reception, asked about our journey and upgraded to an executive double. Our room had been recently renovated to a very high standard. Beautiful large bathroom with seperate walk in shower (big enough for 2!), all very contemporary fittings. Beautiful co-ordinated bedroom furniture, cleverly concealing mini fridge, kettle, teapot, etc. Plasma TV. Room service arrived with fresh milk, extra teabags and ice within 2 minutes of our call.

The restaurant menu choices were fairly limited and several choices had run out, however the main courses we chose were superb. My husband's rib eye steak and my lamb were cooked to perfection. If we had stayed for more than 1 night we would have liked more choice - I believe the menu is the same for a whole week (??) Breakfast was also fantastic. Excellent choice of fruit, cereal, bread, croissants and a marvellous cooked breakfast.

Our room rate was fantastic (thanks to Tesco Clubcard deals!), although the hotel did try to charge us twice for the dinner and didn't seem to know about our Tesco vouchers. Fortunately we had a confirmation letter from Central Reservations.

We would definitely return to Frimley Hall, as we didn't get to try out the Spa. There are also many attractions in the local area we would like to visit.

beautiful hotel and lovely staff

by TripAdvisor Member ttomeo

I cant understand why all the average/bad reviews for this hotel. The only down side we saw was that it was in a residential street which seemed a bit odd but other than that we couldn't find fault. The hotel is beautiful and in beautiful clean grounds. It has bags of character. We got our stay free with tesco deals but would have been happy if we had paid for it. Room rate was £140. We went for Valentines Day and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Our room was gorgeous in Laura Ashley style furniture and fittings. We had a plasma TV, mini bar, nice bathroom with toiletries, and a nice view. We had a romantic relaxing night with no disturbances. The bed was very comfy. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very nice. Lots of choice and well cooked. The setting was very posh and we felt spoiled the whole stay. Thank you to Frimley Hall.

A perfect stay

by TripAdvisor Member quotator

I visited this hotel with my wife and our 5 children. The staff was very friendly and helped us to accomodate us in two fitting rooms. The price for the service and the facilities was it worth. We had an excellent staying with a full breakfast for all. The new pool facilities were very good. I will return, when I need a room in this area.

Not quite hitting the spot

by TripAdvisor Member mudcow

We first stayed in this hotel in April 2005 as we were going to the ball at Sandhurst. Predictably enough the hotel was packed with people going to the ball. It took an age to check in and the reception staff were blunt to say the least. It is of note that none of the staff that we encountered spoke English as a first language or even spoke it clearly.

Our room was small than most inner city budget hotels. It had allegedly just been renovated as part of their multi million pound package. We knew that there were "some limited" building works going on from the hotel website but didn't realise that this meant that you were deafened if you opened the window. However, you had to open it as the air conditioning didn't work and heating was jammed on at the maximum temperature. Add in that the TV didn't work. I called down to reception to try to get a room swap but was curtly told that nothing else was available and that I should have expected shortfalls as the room was newly fitted. I pointed out that it might have been prudent to test the room before putting paying guests in it. I received no response from the receptionist who simply went straight on to serve the person behind me. I interjected and was eventually assured that somebody would come up to look at the TV.

Much later a chap came in and saw that the problem with the TV was that the co-ax was hanging out of the wall, severely frayed. After much bluster the TV and cable were replaced.

We got back to the hotel at just after 2am and had to wait for a long time to be let in despite the fact that there was a steady stream of guests returning from the ball (this event happens 3 times a year so they should be used to it). We went to bed after ordering breakfast in bed.

At 8am I was woken by a cleaner barging into the room without knocking or considering that we would be asleep. An hour later our breakfast arrived which was quite respectable. Just as I was getting ready to have a shower at about half nine the same cleaner barged into our room again without knocking.

I was surprised by the queue when I went to check out. This transpired to be the result of a lot of people being charged for items that they had not taken (i.e. dinner whilst they were out at the ball). I wrote to the hotel and after a few weeks I received a letter from the manager offering my wife and I a complimentary night at the hotel. I guess that this delay was due to the backlog of complaints that the manager had to deal with.

We took up this offer in July 2005. We arrived to find the building work complete and had much less difficulty parking. Check in was swift and courteous and we were pleasantly surprised by our room, it was obviously not a standard room and had a pleasant enough view of the garden. I have to say that the shower was one of the best that I have ever experienced.

I went for a run around the local area quite early next morning and was pleasantly greeted by reception on my way out and asked if I wanted a towel ready at reception for my return, this I thought was a really nice touch.

The breakfast was again taken in our room and was again quite respectable. The check out experience was reasonably smooth with two exceptions. Firstly the chap in front of me had again been charged for services that he had not taken. Secondly there was an additional item on my bill for a few pence or a pound. When I asked what this was I was told that it was an optional charitable donation. I thought that this was of railroading people into making a donation was less than ethical, who is going to say no to a charity in front of reception?

Our first visit was a disaster and I would never have paid to visit again. Our second visit showed a lot of improvement, I was told that the general manager had been replaced and it seemed that some real progress had been made. I would imagine that if this can be kept up that a really nice hotel will emerge, however, at present it is still not worth its standard tariff. Consider it at a discount and tick everything on the room service breakfast list, the variety available is great!

Nice hotel, no problems

by TripAdvisor Member Kitty1709

Arrived for a 2 night stay (weekend), booked a suite room which was spacious, nice bathroom, separate shower unit as well as bath, no problems with room at all. Breakfast excellent, wide range of everything you could want. Leisure faciltiies good although lacked a jacuzzi, swimming pool a little cold but otherwise ok. Staff pleasant enough, certainly no problems. Grounds were small compared with other hotels we have stayed in but no disturbance.

Ok for a break

My husband and I stayed for one night for a "do" at Sandhurst. The hotel is well located for Sandhurst and, although it is right in the middle of a residential estate, as long as you expect that - and not a country retreat - it is no problem.

The hotel seems to be a modern block attached to the back of an older country-house style building. So, although there is a lovely reception area, you go upstairs (no lift - so not good for elderly or infirm) and walk through into long corridors of standard modern rooms that I would say are a bit above a Travel Lodge but not a lot. However, the breakfast choice was very good and the service at breakfast time was good too.

We didn't get to use the spa but it seemed to be in a separate modern building next door and looked ok. Check-in and out went without any problems and no queues.

Overall, it is ok for a short break but I wouldn't go out of my way to go back. I think if we had gone for a "romantic weekend" or a "spa break" it would have been a bit disappointing compared to how attractive it looked in their brochures and on their web-site

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member bassing-jersey

I stayed here for a two day business trips the entrance to the hotel was great but after that was not worth the price. A number of things wrong with my room light bulbs not working, no soap left and a handle missing off a cupboard.The internet was not working in the room

The corridors were extremely hot , the food was expensive although nice was not worth the money. I have to say the staff were helpful though

Comments