Marriott Hotel Maida Vale

Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Priceline 4* Regent's Park

I would have been ecstatic to receive this hotel on Priceline if it was just based on the hotel, the room was the nicest of the three 4* hotels that I stayed at on this trip that I won from Priceline. Due to the hideous exchange rate, I had to bid between $100 and $125 per night to get a hotel room this year, this hotel was $125 + tax (total $155). I arrived early in the morning and they had a room ready for me, the staff was pleasant and courteous.

But, and you know there's a but, it was the least convenient of all the hotels I stayed at, located about a 1/3 mile from the Kilburn Park tube station on the Bakerloo line. As I was walking from the tube in the morning I thought I wouldn't want to be walking from it late at night, fortunately there was a bus stop just across the street (stop KJ on the return) from the hotel, bus 98 went along Edgware Road to Oxford Street where I could connect with the tube at Edgware Road, Marble Arch, Oxford Circus, Holborn or Tottenham Court or bus 16 goes to Marble Arch or Edgware Road.

Between the hotel and the tube station there really wasn't much in terms of stores or restaurants except a very small Tesco Express, I think there might have been more past the Tesco but I didn't go that far.

Unique Quality: Room-extremely comfortable king size bed with lots of pillows and a down comforter, the room was large and had everything one could need, an in room safe, a small refrigerator, tea service, iron, trouser press

Bathroom-very nicely decorated, toiletries included bath gel, shampoo and lotion. Shower had good water pressure and plenty of hot water

Directions: Nearest tube: Kilburn Park (Bakerloo), turn left out of station, walk uphill, turn right at Kilburn High Road, Marriott is on left, about 1/3 mile

More about Marriott Hotel Maida Vale

Marriott Maida Vale... Marriott Kilburn more like!

by TripAdvisor Member LeicsUK

I stay in this hotel regularly when working in London so was compelled to write this review. There were many great things about the Marriott Maida Vale that always make my stays there pleasurable:

o Reception / Concierge - The staff are consistently cheerful, attentive, and very helpful. The concierge is an excellent source of information and goes out of the way to make your life easy.

o Spaciousness - Great size rooms, usually with two double beds.

o Decor - Comfortable furnishings, well decorated, comfy beds and pillows. Good lighting which is controllable from the bed. The bathrooms are always very clean, well-equipped, and spacious (good use of marble!).

o Food / Drink - There's a great Italian restaurant in the hotel where you can get pizzas baked in a proper wood stove etc., you pay hotel prices but the food and wine is always good. Breakfast is served on a mezzanine above the Italian restaurant and has a great selection of fruit, pastries, cereals, and English/American hot yummy stuff. The bar is typically overpriced but is a good as a meeting place or for a night-cap.

o Location - Outside of the congestion charging zone, <5 minute walk to a tube station, close to Maida Vale and Little Venice - both with some great restaurants, and only half a mile from the Abbey Road studios (for the obligatory photo!)

And now to the bad point....

o Location - Calling this the Marriott Maida Vale is stretching the imagination a bit, the nearest tube is Kilburn on the Bakerloo line taking a good 20 minutes to get into Piccadilly Circus etc. And Kilburn is not the most celubrious of areas, although it butts up to Maida Vale it is not the kind of place you feel safe walking back to in the dark carrying a laptop bag etc! If you are traveling there during peak hours you're fine, but if you are coming back late at night on your own then get a taxi.

Location aside, this is a great value hotel offering comfortable rooms away from the hustle and bustle of the West End but close enough to pop into town for dinner etc.

Off the Tourist Track in Maida Vale

by inforailway about Marriott Maida Vale

We stayed at this hotel for a week in March 2007. While it is not central to tourist London, it is clean, economical, comfortable, and well-appointed. It's a five to ten minute walk from the Kilburn Park tube station on the Bakerloo line. The Tube is so easy to use, we never felt inconvenienced by location except for dining options close-by. The bar and restaurant on-site are worthwile, but not a good choice for those on a budget. For example, with the exhange rate, a rum and coke in the bar will cost you about $11 USD. The front desk staff was friendly, and we were able to check in earlier than anticipated. For an ecomical breakfast or lunch try the neighborhood grocery across the street and bring some food back to your room. This is also a good bet for finding an international phone card to call back home.

Okay

by TripAdvisor Member LPFulton

We stayed at the Marriott Maida Vale for 3 nights because we received 2 free nights from British Airways. The hotel was fine. Rooms were Marriott typical, the staff was friendly, and the breakfast buffet was quite good. The location of the hotel is not very convenient for tourists, however. We ended up spending a lot of time on the Underground. On the bright side, we got to see where "real" Londoners live. The hotel is located in a typical working class neighborhood.

Very Nice Place

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott London Maida Vale for two nights in Jan 2005 with our two children, aged 9 months and 2 1/2 years. The room we had was very clean and a decent size for our needs. The baby crib (or "baby cot" as they call them in London and Paris) was already set up for our baby in the room when we got there. We had two double-sized beds that were comfortable. Their pillows tended to be a bit thick and hard. I didn't use them, but I'm rather particular about my pillows anyways.

The bathroom was pretty spacious and very clean. The tub for the shower was very high off the ground, as was the case for every hotel we stayed in on our trip (2 in London, 2 in Paris). The water pressure for the shower was fine, but for the toilet it might have been a bit too much...seemed like they were really intent on getting everything down! Make sure you close the toilet lid before you flush!

The hotel staff in the lobby was friendly but didn't always seem to know the area well. When I asked where I could buy baby food and bottled water, they suggested any of the little stores along the street after you take a right out of the hotel. None of the tiny little stores have anything baby-related. Mark's & Spencer's Food store was at least good for the water although they did not have baby food either. It turned out that Sainsbury's Food store, which was only a couple more minutes up the street past Mark's & Spencer's, had what I wanted.

We also asked if there was a small cafe or restaurant nearby that served eggs, toast, sausage, and so on for breakfast. They sent us to Caffe Nero, an Italian coffee company which according to its website is the "largest independent coffee retailer in the UK" (yes, Starbucks has LOTS of competition in London!). They had good coffee, tasty pastries, and mediocre sandwiches in plastic triangle cartons, but you certainly can not get an egg breakfast there. Plus that, it was incredibly smoky. We found a very good place on the same side of the street as Caffe Nero (opposite side of street from hotel) and it was much closer to the hotel. I forget the name, but it's easy to spot as you're walking. Just take a right out of the hotel lobby, walk a few minutes, and cross the main street to get to it.

Also, there's an ATM cash machine up the street from the hotel, on the same side of the street as the hotel. Again, take a right out of the lobby and just walk a few minutes.

At this hotel, we were about a 15-minute tube ride away from most of the interesting, touristy areas of London. The nearest tube stop to the hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk through streets that are not too busy. The area seems safe, even at night. We learned from the taxi driver who drove us to our next hotel that Maida Vale is known for its very expensive real estate, so you would not expect a lot of sketchy characters around.

Although it was a little bit out of the way, we stayed here because we were able to get a discounted price for the room. It was definitely worth it given that we would have paid a minimum of 2 times more (probably closer to 3 times more) for any other hotel this nice.

Overall, it was a very nice experience and well worth the money.

disappointed to say the least compared to other marriotts

by TripAdvisor Member glutenfreeswede

I am comparing this to other Marriotts in London when I give this review.
I got the room requested however I was truly disappointed when I actually got to the room. What was supposed to be a 1 bedroom suite was a bedroom and a tiny!! livingroom with old dirty furniture made for small people.
This was supposed to be a "weekend treat" for us but that was no treat.
I then went downstairs and complained and said that this certainly was not up to scratch. Well, we were given another room which was better for £100 MORE!!! and that was at a discounted rate.
Anyway, without harping on I can say that the rooms and suites are NOT renovated and most have dirty furniture, the room service is without a doubt substandard. The staff speaks very bad english (even though it's in London) and compared to other MArriotts in London (at better locations) this is not even near the same level that they demonstrate!!!
I am so disappointed and being a marriott member I am appaled that they even put their name to this one, particularly as I have visited some other ones here.

Further the location for those who don't know london is outside the city centre and a taxi from the centre in the evening if you can find one will cost you anything from £12 and up.

Second time lucky

by TripAdvisor Member biglad1975

I've stayed in this property twice, as it's convenient for the city centre and just outside the congestion zone if you're driving there. Also overnight parking is £20, which is cheap for London.

The hotel is situated in Maida Vale, not London's most upmarket neighbourhood but an interesting one certainly and at the end of the bustling Edgware Road. The city centre is a ten to fifteen minute cab ride away or there's a tube station a couple of minutes' walk from the hotel entrance.

The hotel itself is fairly pleasant. There is a stylish Italian restaurant that doubles up for breakfast and a bar that gets pretty busy with merry hotel guests at night. The bar staff are friendly, but took nearly fifteen minutes to prepare a cocktail and a glass of red wine on our first night. As we had a restaurant table booked in town, we had to leave before they arrived, something that the waiter didn't seem best pleased about when we returned with the same order a few hours later!

The rooms are standard Marriott so neutral decor, good cleanliness, with a nicely fully-tiled bathroom are the order of the day. My room was on the executive floor, which gives you access to the lounge with free drinks, hot nibbles at teatime and a healthy option breakfast. That said, I couldn't actually differentiate my executive room from the standard room I stayed in last time.

The hotel also has access to the Living Well gym and pool next door. Beware that this involves a long walk through the hotel, into the lift, through the adjoining apartments and down more stairs, and then more again into the slightly grubby changing room. The gym itself was busy, and the small pool had a fitness class in progress when we arrived. Solubrious it isn't.

Breakfast is buffet-style and comprehensive, and you can eat yourself silly. I didn't find the staff particularly attentive and both days I ate there I wasn't offered coffee or tea upon sitting down, or had my bowls and plates cleared when moving onto a second course.

In summary, handy for the city, pleasant staff who could tighten up a little on the service front and an 'interesting' neighbourhood. You could do much worse.

Located on the border of one of London's worst districts!

by TripAdvisor Member PradaP

This hotel is no where near central London, or the major attractions, but the brochures, etc. claim that it is. It is not really in the district "Maida Vale" either - It is more on the border of Kilburn, an extremely run down, high-crime area - Not somewhere you would want to go out, unless you wanted to purchase some cocaine. It would be fine, as long as you did not turn in one directon when exiting the hotel! As usual, the name aspires to a better area, which the actual hotel is not located in. The rooms, leisure club etc. are fine, but i would not recommend staying here if you are a tourist who wants to be close to the main tourist and shopping areas. It is the same with the Regent's Park Marriott - It claims to be very centrally located, but is not.

London, England

by inforailway

"Days 1 & 2"

I visited London in March 2007. We caught an evening flight out of Dulles in Washington, D.C. on a British Airways 747. My wife and I made the trip with a couple of our friends, so we occupied the middle section of the traditional 3-4-3 seating arrangement in coach. We left about 11:30 p.m., and the on-plane staff was both courteous and professional. We were served a chicken and rice dish with apple pie for dessert at approximately 12:30 a.m. (EST). It was quite passable for airline food. After being well-fed, I contented myself by wearily flipping through the in-air entertainment and following the plane’s progress on the back-of-seat monitors for the next few hours. (London had always been a destination I wanted to visit, so I was too excited to sleep well after the late dinner.)

As dawn broke over the North Atlantic, the attentive crew members were back with breakfast and some very welcome coffee. We landed around 10am and boarded the buses for customs. After a cursory check of our passports by the customs officials, we collected our luggage and caught the Heathrow Express for Paddington Station. Our first glimpse of London was of warehouses and aging industries. Upon arrival at Paddington, however, we truly felt like we were in the London we expected. We even saw the famous Paddington bear walking around and greeting young rail passengers.

We made our way down to the Tube and bought seven-day Oyster cards – these are simply multi-day passes that allow you to take the Tube wherever you need. I highly recommend them for tourists who are planning to use the Tube extensively. Our hotel was just a few stops away on the Bakerloo line. We stayed at the Marriott Maida Vale. It was a nice clean and quiet hotel, but a bit off the beaten-path. This doesn’t matter much if you are taking the Tube to your destinations, though.

We had a quick, but expensive, lunch at Cafe Maurice (the hotel bar) and then spent the afternoon unpacking and resting. We asked the concierge for dinner recommendations, and we were sent to a small Italian restaurant outside Paddington station called Concordia Notte. It was a small, authentic place with basic pasta dishes. It was one of our cheaper dinners the whole time we were there. After our dinner, we ordered dessert and headed back to our hotel. It was cool and drizzling – authentic London weather indeed. :)

We slept in a bit on Day 2, and then made our way down to the Tower of London. We ate at a pub called the Hung, Drawn, and Quartered. It is directly across the street from the Tower. Touristy? Yes. However, it was worth the stop in my opinion. Our group had our obligatory meals of either Fish and Chips or Bangers and Mash with some Carling Lager. The interior is decorated in rich wood paneling, old portraits, and a noose over the bar.

After lunch, we ambled over to the Tower and took the beef-eaters tour. Standing gazing up at the Norman Tower which has stood in the same spot for a millennium, you really get a sense of the permanence of some of these buildings. So much history has happened in these grounds, and the Britain still stands strong (yes, I am an Anglophile). I highly recommend taking the tour. You learn so much about the buildings and what events transpired where you stand (Anne Boleyn, the Princes in the Tower, Traitor’s Gate). Other highlights are the armory and the crown jewels. We had an afternoon coffee/tea break at the on-premise café and made a quick visit to the loo before heading back to our hotel. I mention this last bit, as a plaque in the restroom proudly proclaims that they were “an award winner in the 1992 loo of the year competition.”

Dinner and drinks followed again at Café Maurice and then a good night’s sleep.

"Days 3 and 4"

On day 3, we made our way to the Millenium Eye. I would highly recommend booking your “flight time” in advance. Even in March, the line for those without reservations was quite long. We were able to walk right on after picking up our tickets and enjoyed the 30 minute ride hundreds of feet above the Thames. The view is spectacular. You can easily see from Parliament (almost directly below you) up to St. Pauls and beyond. We were also blessed with a beautiful sunny spring day.

The observation capsules are large (ours had about 15 people inside, and it was not close to capacity) with a large bench in the middle for those in your party with tired feet. The ride is so smooth and gentle, you don’t even feel like you are moving. Be sure to smile as your capsule begins descending – you can collect a souvenir photo of your party when you exit.

We had lunch at a counter lunch shop across the street. More traditional foods like Shepherd's Pie and mushy peas. Our afternoon was spent taking a boat tour on the Thames. We floated past Scotland Yard, Parliament, St. Pauls, Tower Bridge, the Globe, and many other monuments. After the tour we headed back to the hotel to change and make dinner in time for a play in the West End.

We had a quick bit in T.G.I. Fridays near Picadilly Circus. Then it was off to see Equus (the production starring Dan Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame). Radcliffe did a great job, and you forget instantly that you are watching the actor who played the boy wizard. The real highlight of the play for me, however, was Richard Griffiths (also from Harry Potter). Griffiths had a great stage presence, and commanded your attention. Granted we were only in the fourth row, orchestra center, so the seats were also amazing.

After the play we had a few drinks at the hotel bar. A word of experience for you here, London is expensive, especially when drinking. ;-)

On Day 4, another pub lunch followed by the obligatory double-decker tour bus ride. We hopped on and off the bus a couple times and stretched our tour out over a few hours. The tour was informative, but fast. The guides could have put an auctioneer to shame. I wonder if they are paid per word?

Dinner was at the uber-toursity Sherlock Holmes Pub. Visit the second-floor for the kitschy display of the detective’s drawing room. The “traditional” tour of British gastric delights continued with Bubble and Squeak server by a rather angry German waitress who liked to toss down our plates and mutter under her breath. Despite the service, the food was great! I left a great tip – I was afraid not to!

"Days 5 and 6"

We began Day 5 with a trip to Buckingham palace. We unfortunately picked a day to visit when there was no changing of the guard. We did, however, see the royal horses being parade. Buckingham was huge and beautiful – I need to visit again sometime to see the guard ceremony. Before lunch we made a quick stop by King Cross station to get our pictures taken at Platform 9 ¾ (heck you see Dan Radcliffe in a play, might as well do full Harry Potter experience).

We dined at noon at a little café over the food stalls of Harrods. It was a simple yet delightful lunch. I highly recommend this spot if you are shopping here anyway. We spent the afternoon in shopping heaven buying gifts for the folks back home. After Harrod’s, we hit Waterstone's, the biggest bookstore in London. Loaded with purchases, we had dinner near Picadilly before calling it an evening.

The next day was our last full day. We started at the Churchill War Rooms – you could almost feel the presence of the great man striding those halls during the Blitz. We followed this by Westminster Abbey. This was the most awe-inspiring part of my trip. The reverence of the place was palpable. Walking by the tombs of Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots, you think about them resting in their eternal slumber so near to each other. You see the coronation chair. This hallowed spot has for centuries been the focus of England during her times of joy and her times of grief. Light a candle if you go, and think of those no longer with you.

After all of the introspection, the evening called for a bit of a release for our final evening. We attended another theatre production, this time Monty Python’s Spam-a-lot. This show is one laugh after another. It’s also playing on Broadway, so check it out at either venue.

The next morning a quick taxi ride took us to Paddington and hence to Heathrow. All to soon we were back stateside and returning to work.

Maida Vale Hotel in London

by msehgal

Hello

I need some help in booking a hotel. Has anyone stayed at the Maida Vale in London. What kind of area is it in? I made the reservation but was reading on a website that it wasn't the best of area...any feedback would be helpful? Is it out of London proper? How far out? I have so many questions!

If this is not the best of places to stay ...anyone have any suggestions? I need a room for 4 people at a decent price in mid June.

Thanks for all the help!

RE: Maida Vale Hotel in London

by zuriga

Is this the Marriott Maida Vale? You can read about it at www.tripadvisor.com. Maida Vale is not in Central London but it's not a bad location. I've always thought of it as a fairly residential part of town but that can have advantages if the price is right. Read the reviews on tripadvisor.. they can be helpful.

Comments