The County Hall, , London SE1 7PB

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Priceline 5* Westminster

I started bidding much earlier than usual after seeing people get good hotels for my dates on betterbidding.com, I bid Westminster 4* and was accepted at $90 per night + tax ($111US) and upgraded to the 5* London Marriott County Hall.For my niece's 1st trip to Europe it was a great location, easy to find because of it's location next to the London Eye, right across the Thames from the Houses of Parliament.

When we arrived at around 1pm they did not have a room ready, I asked for a twin and they said they had none available. So I was very pleasantly surprised when they showed us to our room and it was a twin with a view of the Thames, actually looking right into the pods on the London Eye

Unique Quality: The room was very spacious and had every amenity you\d expect from a Marriott. An in room safe, tea/coffee maker, ironing board, trouser press, mini bar, and what I think was complimentary fruit and bottled water although we didn't eat any of it.

The shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water, toiletries were all I needed-shampoo, conditioner, bath gel and lotion. Nice big towels as well.

Also pleasantly surprised that we got free wifi in the lobby, although they do charge in use it in the room.

From Heathrow, we took the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith and changed to the District line, a no stair change of lines, cross platform and got off at Westminster station, I believe it was exit 1-2. To get to St. Pancras for the Eurostar, we went to Waterloo station, there is an entrance off York Road which is easier than going all the way to the main station entrance. Jubilee line, easy change to the Victoria line at Oxford Circus.

Directions: From Westminster Station, cross Westminster Bridge and the entrance is on the left just after the stairs going down to the London Eye. Also close to Waterloo Station

• imagdd's Profile Photo

Bitter...Sweet.....Bitter

I've enjoyed staying with Marriott's almost exclusively the last several years and for good reason, they create a "feel good" customer experience. On my second stay at the Marriott County Hall, we encountered "Dick" at the front desk. On our last trip to London earlier last year, Dick had attitude, but the rest of the staff made up for his shortcomings. This trip, Dick was too much too handle, and I felt the need to share this with Marriott. Marriott sent my complaint to County Hall, and my complaints fell onto deaf ears. I rewrote to Marriott and again, they forwarded my message onto County Hall and.......crickets.
    Marriott, hello, perhaps having Dick follow up on himself might not be the best policy.
    After arriving from a long flight across the Atlantic, and airports and Taxi's we attempted to enlist Dick's help with currency and proper tip for cab-he refused!
    And it was really ALL downhill from there.
    Again, the rest of the staff is amazing, the concierge is great, the views and location phenom! Too bad we pay over $500 a night for such rudeness and how this rudeness can affect your entire trip- insult to injury, Marriott's lack of concern and follow up.............crickets

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

Great if you can get a deal

We were given Marriott points to stay here, so it was a real treat. The lobby is lovely, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. We didn't use the mini-bar or room service, but we did poke our heads in to the restaurant and bar. They both look wonderful and have views and comfortable seating. My impression is that the restaurant is popular for the Big Ben/Parliament View.

The room had tea, coffee, cookies, and hot chocolate available. And there is a turndown service every night. Also, there are robes and a complimentary umbrella for your use while you stay. The room we were in (King bed) was really big. It had two chairs, a vanity, a desk, and a large entertainment/bureau and there was still lots of room to walk around.

The location is within easy walking distance of the Waterloo station, and the 159 and 12 buses go right by the front entrance of the hotel. Also, it's right on the river walk, so you can walk to the Tate Modern and stop by cafes, restaurants, and book fairs on the way or on the return.

Despite all the wonderful aspects, I would never stay here for the price. Our room would have cost between $250 - 300 per night, and it wasn't worth that. There is another hotel in the County Hall for about $140 per night, and I'm sure the left over money can be better spent in London.

Unique Quality: The view is definitely wonderful. That is, it's wonderful if you get one of the outward facing rooms. We requested a Big Ben riverview room, and we got one. Except it was at the base of the London Eye. Now, this was very interesting because we could watch people on line while we sipped our morning coffee, however, to see Big Ben we had to stand at the very corner of the room. Also, a warning about the location of the rooms, a lot of them are VERY FAR AWAY from the lift. This is not much of a problem, but it might prove tiring to someone who has trouble walking or uses a cane.

There is a pool, a spa upstairs, and very nice lotions, shampoos, and so on.

Directions: Waterloo Station, or if you fancy a walk over the bridge, the Westminster Station. It's just over the Westminster Bridge on the South Bank side.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Great Quality

As the name suggests, this hotel is in the old county hall building. It is located right by the river Thames and Westminster Bridge. The hotel is a part of the famous London scenery.

The room was very spacious, and the services were great! One of the best experiences that I've had with Marriott.

A small gift shop, nice restaurants, bars, and meeting rooms.

Unique Quality: If you get a room facing River Thames, you'll have a great view of the town including London Eye and Houses of Parliament.

Directions: Next to London Eye and across the river from Parliament (Big Ben). Walking distance from Westminster station and Waterloo station.

• KittyLou's Profile Photo

A room with a fabulous view!

Stayed in room #222 from December 22 - 27, 2004. I was thrilled with the view, the ample space, the quality of room service, and the hotel breakfast, Christmas lunch, tea in the library -- everything.

Sure a couple little things were off: #1 we called from the airport, they told us what time the room would be ready, we got there and it was not, #2 Christmas lunch reservations were for 12:30 and it was close to 1:15 before we were seated in the dining room.
    But in both cases the overall experience made up for the small lapses.

Returned to this hotel December 20 - 27, 2005. Stayed in room 319. Another great view and all the details in dining room were super.

Unique Quality: Where else would your room window be right next to the "pods" of the London Eye and give you those kind of views?

Directions: on the South Bank, just beyond Westminster Bridge

• ChrsStrl's Profile Photo

A lovely central hotel with only plus points!

A lovely hotel, vast rooms and every amenity. It is big and has long corridors but that is because of the history of the building. It also has a restaurant which overlooks the Houses of Parliament and is a fine place to dine and to breakfast. I was so impressed by an overnight business trip here I took my wife back the next day for lunch. This is city centre at its best as it is central but you hear no noise nor see passing traffic. Staff are very helpful and used to seeing bemused guests wandering the wrong way in corridors!

Unique Quality: The old County Hall - the building of the council of London before being abolished by Mrs Thatcher (and leading to the resurrection of the London Assembly in a new glass building which has a nickname amongst Londoners much to do with the spherical shape and the man who is our mayor). This is a special place. worth going to just for a drink in the bar overlooking the terrace and the Thames!

Directions: Opposite the Palace of Westminster, just by the London Eye!

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Marriott County Hall Hotel

The room is very good, but the carpets and other interior aspects in the public areas could use some upgrading, especially considered the price you pay! The facilities are great and so are the views from your room! You have tea and coffee in your room and you get new cookies whenever you ask for them. You have a very nice amrble bathroom with everything you need. In the morning you get a newspaper of your choice. I had a great time in this hotel!

Unique Quality: Very centrally located 5*hotel hotel. This hotel offers everything you would expect from Marriott and a hotel in this class, including swimming pool, solarium, fitness room, 24hr room service etc.

Directions: Ideally located on the southbank of the river Thames. The Marriott County Hall Hotel is on one end of the Westminster bridge, whereas on the other side you will find The Houses Of Parliament.

More about Marriott London County Hall

Perfect Location!!!

My husband and I spent 4 wonderful nights at this hotel in early March.
We found a fantastic deal on the Marriott website that allowed us to get 4 nights for the price of 3, so we took advantage! This place is AWESOME! We had a view of the Thames River and the London Eye right outside our room, and all of the top London sites are within easy walking distance of the hotel. This is going to sound silly, but one of the best things we found on our trip was the pancake cart directly across the Westminster Bridge (toward Big Ben). If you go to London, you have got to try a pancake! We had one every day for our snack...YUM! We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to London and we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else!

REALLY NICE HOTEL!!!

We loved this hotel. When we first arrived at the Westminster tube station the first thing we saw was Big Ben, then the Westminster bridge, the London Eye, and of course the County Hall. This made it not only awesome but also very easy to find the hotel. The room was super nice with extremely comfortable beds, wonderful tea set up, nice comfy robes, and a huge bathtub. The full English breakfast was included in our room rate and it was beyond compare. We looked forward to it each day. The service was incredible and very friendly. We were able to catch the "Big Bus" ( a hop on hop off tour bus) right in front of the hotel. The staff is top notch and ready to help with any concern. I'd love to be able to return and just enjoy the hotel.

London - Which Marriott to stay in?

by jonmck

I purchased a package deal and I can stay at any Marriott in London that has availability during the time I want to visit.

CHOICES I THINK I HAVE NARROWED DOWN TO:

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
London Marriott Hotel Park Lane
London Marriott Hotel County Hall - Westminster Bridge Road
Renaissance Chancery Court London - 252 High Holborn

Any others I should consider? Looking for 5 star hotels. Would like them close to a tube station and also close to attractions.

Thanks!

by johnaalex

I would go for the Renaissance Chancery Court London.

Regards

John

by SallyM

On the basis of the places you mention that you want to see in your other post, I think the Marriott County Hall (just across the river from the Houses of Parliament) would be best, with the Renaissance Chancery Court as second choice.

by Lady_Godiva

I agree with Sally. Staying at Marriott Hotel County Hall is probably best as you are right near the Houses of Parliament and it's only a short walk to the West End from there. Lovely area. Alternatively, High Holborn is also very central - you'd be half way between the main east attractions (St Paul's, Tower Bridge, Millenium Bridge, Tower of London, Borough Market...) and the west attractions (Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, London Eye, Big Ben...)

by swissfondue

The recommended hotels are both well located but I would choose Renaissance Chancery Court simply because it is situated closer to St Pancras Station (the Eurostar departure point). Trust me when I say its not much fun on a crowded tube with a suitcase of any size.

by jonmck

I think I have chosen the County Hall location. Thanks!

Comments