Marriott London Grosvenor Square

Marriott London Grosvenor Square Hotel
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Frisbeeace's Profile Photo

Marriott best located hotel in London

We stayed for 10 days at this elegant Marriott located in the heart of Mayfair. This is a peaceful residential neighborhood with nice shops and restaurants and only a couple of blocks from bustling Oxford st. Location is ideal for sightseeing or shopping. There is an underground station only 4 blocks from the hotel.

Unique Quality: This is a kind of boutique hotel, smaller than other Marriotts that you may be used to. Rooms are not large as is normal in Europe but finely decorated. Service is superb.

• KittyLou's Profile Photo

Mayfair Comfort

Yes it is a chain, but it is an old building, and the rooms are spacious. Room service is good, plus there are a couple of good places to eat between the hotel and Oxford Street.

Rooms might not be ready until 3 p.m. so I normally would not plan to come here right after landing at Heathrow in the morning, but it is great for the end of a UK trip.

Unique Quality: Near the US Embassy

The square is not as pleasant a place to sit and walk as it once was -- post 9/11 the Embassy has blocked off walk ways.

Just a few steps to Oxford Street shopping.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

London in style

The London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square is like your typical Marriott hotel. What makes this one special is it's location and a great staff. We stayed in an executive room with a view of the courtyard and it was quite nice. If you visit, be sure to ask for a room with a view of Grosvenor square. We forgot to ask for it.

We were originally supposed to have stayed at the London Marriott Hyde Park which was scheduled to open the week before our trip to London. We had a reservation, confirmed the night prior to departure, and when we arrived at the hotel, the place was still under construction. Fortunately I had my Marriott Rewards card with a toll-free number on the back (for calls in the UK). They directed me to the London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square, with all luggage in tow. After about an hour, we found the place and though they didn't upgrade the room we had requested at London Marriott Hyde Park, they made our entire stay free of charge. That was awesome!

Unique Quality: Location is very close to Oxford Street, Hyde Park, Grosvenor Square, American Embassy, and much more. The Bathroom in our room was stunningly beautfiul!

Directions: Take Duke Street south off of Oxford to Grosvenor Square.

More about Marriott London Grosvenor Square

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square

by Scotsgal

NEAR HOUSES OF PARLIMENT. Within the Georgian exterior of this chain is a modern English hotel with large meeting spaces and guest rooms designed to accommodate business travelers. Offers spacious desks, safes, minibars, and cable TV. The staff is friendly and efficient, and the convenient restaurant serves an excellent English breakfast. The fitness room offers a well-equipped place to burn off calories.

terrific hotel

by TripAdvisor Member urbanplanner

We stayed at the Marriott Grosvenor Square in mid-August... and yes, the renovations were still going on. Other than some loud noise while we were checking in, however, the work did not bother us at all.

The rooms were very spacious and well appointed, with an especially large and comfortable bathroom (lots of counter space). Our room overlooked the courtyard, and so was very quiet throughout our stay. The staff were friendly and helpful, and we had no problems at all redeeming our Marriott reward points.

If you want to see the London tourist sites, this hotel may be a little out of the way, but if you want to actually see/experience the city, it is a great location. Very close to excellent restaurants, parks, shops, pubs (we enjoyed the Punch Bowl)... and the surrounding Mayfair neighborhood is great for wandering.

Too Snooty

Plan: Our stay at this hotel (5/05) was arranged by my brother, a Gold Marriott Rewards member, as a gift for our 25th wedding anniversary. At the time of booking, they also requested an upgrade payment of 85 pounds in conjunction with the rewards certficate. This may have been because there was only an executive suite left to book. He had a confirmation from them & Marriot to put the upgrade charge onto his AmEx card. The reservation also included a 'Healthy Start' Breakfast. This is their middle of the road breakfast - a step above the continental - but not quite the full deal. We were staying for one night, our family of 4 & then heading off on the trains to see Scotland.

Actual: I assumed this was a well established hotel and just about any Londonite would be able to point us in the right direction. Not so, no one we asked - this being the 'information' booths, had ever heard of it. Even after showing them the printed sheet with the address. Luckily an Underground ticket agent pointed us in the right direction - only because he knew where the American Embassy was.
When we did find the place, we found the desk staff to be snooty. They knew nothing of the 85 pound charge being confirmed onto the AmEx card; assuring me that my brother was mistaken, as they 'just don't make them.' In the morning, they called to argue about the Healthy Start Breakfast - then only bringing it for 2 adults - not the kids. An alarm had sounded at one point, where all the guests were asked to evacuate to a park across the block and await a roll call (never done) & when returning to the hotel, one of the workers joked to another "That's how you get a 20 minute break - just hit the alarm!"
Knowing it was our 25th wedding anniversary & our daughter's 10th birthday - we were lucky enough to get 2 complimentary bottles of mineral water - not quite the bubbly the other reviewer mentioned; but, as I wasn't expecting anything, I was happy with it.

Summary: As an ex-airline employee, I've been to alot of hotels in alot of countries. I am acutely aware of all the little etiquette intracacies, politeness and manners required; as is my family. I have never been made to feel more unwelcome than I had at this hotel and found myself apologizing to my family the entire trip for my error in judgement. Luckily, in all our other hotels - none costing more than 50 pounds a night w/a breakfast - we had a great time.

Nice Hotel but location a little out of the way from sites

by TripAdvisor Member swoosh

The hotel and the renovated rooms were nice. The location was very quiet near the American Embassy. It is near Hyde Park and a 1.5 blocks from a lot of shopping but otherwise it isn’t near the sites so that you have to take a taxi or use the Tube.

There is another Marriott at City Hall that looked to be as nice and more in the middle of the sites

nice hotel, but...

by TripAdvisor Member helknee

Stayed here over the weekend with some friends. Had an executive room on the 1st floor. Nice room, little small. Good free lounge for drinks through the day.

There was a party directly under our friends room with very very loud music going on until 2am. Despite several calls from them and from us too, the hotel would not get the music turned down (although they told us there had been many calls). And the hotel told our friends that they would be offered compensation. None was forthcoming, until we checked out and caused a scene. Neither of us paid anything for our rooms. So a bit of a result there, but still, the problem was unacceptable.

Just Average

by TripAdvisor Member shawoman

It looks nice really from the outside but the lobby and most of the first floors are being renovated. This means noise during the day and easily until 6/7pm at night. Also it seems to be a popular spot for weddings / parties so expect noise on the weekends.

I found it centrally located ... you can easily walk up to Oxford Street or to the Theatre District. Its also on a central subway line.

The rooms are just average...I obviously was in a pre-renovation suite. Not modern and very much like your standard-issue motel. Tap handle was broken....for (GASP) $1800 Cdn for 4 nights I would expect a lot more!!

mixed feelings

by TripAdvisor Member coronadolauren

First of all, this Marriot will not confirm your reservation. So when we arrived early evening and were told they could only accomodate us if we payed an extra 200 pounds was very frustrating. In the end, we ended up paying a total of $480 more for 4 nights because they don't ensure your reservations. The hotel itself was very nice, air conditioned and comfortable. It is a little bit funny because they had almost 10 doormen at the same time once. For the first time in our month in Europe, this hotel did not include breakfast. And their restaurant breakfast was 18 pounds for one continental breakfast. Go to Ponti's down the streat. Pretty good location, one block to Oxford Street and the Bond St. tube. If you are going to the theater, no matter what they tell you, if you are rushing a little bit, don't walk!!! We took the "10-15" minute walk w/a Londoner who helped us and still had to wolf down dinner in 20 minutes so we didn't miss our show!! ( If the front desk tells you _mn, double it!!) It would have been excellent if not for the room confusion, because we had to change rooms and pay almost $500 more. I suggest calling them direct, (not the Marriot 1-800 number) and confirming.

Christmas in London

by KittyLou

My husband and I are considering spending the holiday season in London. We will arrive at Heathrow, take the express to Paddington Station and spend our first few nights at the Hilton there. We will likely spend the end of our visit at the Marriott Grosvenor Square. We would however like to spend December 24-25-26 someplace where there is a package including meals. The Savoy, etc. are beyond our price range. Suggestions please. Out of the city but reachable by train is OK too. Thanks

Re: Christmas in London

by Britannia2

How about a olde worlde English town such as Canterbury, Oxford or Cambridge. All about an hour by train from London - they all have a nice feel at Christmas especially if it snows. Bear in mind there are no trains on 25/12 and most trains on 24/12 are crowded - aim to leave London early on 24/12. Use a search engine to type in the names of the towns I have mentioned and check out their official web sites which all include accomodation.

Re: Re: Christmas in London

by Lynne29

I suggest you look for a hotel that has an organised programme of events so you dont get bored over the festive season. You need to pick up a brochure in a travel agent that specialises in hotels over christmas, or get in touch with de vere hotels, they have some very smart hotels (all 4 & 5 star) with leisure centres and usually have good programmes. their website is devereonline.co.uk.

Re: Christmas in London

by Britannia2

Another thought - my wife and I spent some time in Stamford, Lincolnshire last year. This is a wonderful little town and the best preserved stone built town in Europe. Not very big but as you turn every corner a delight awaits you. Train from Kings Cross to Peterborough (55 mins) and then a short train ride to Stamford. Try the George Hotel on www,georgehotelof stamford.com.

Re: Re: Christmas in London

by KittyLou

I don't know what my husband and I will decide on for this Christmas but I know we will be exploring several of these wonderful suggestions in future trips to England. Thanks for the thought and kindess of your responses.

Comments