May Fair Hotel

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• juliansf's Profile Photo

Lights out

Ok, we all know that London hotels are overpriced. But at over $300USD per night one might expect the lights to work. I arrived at the Radisson May Fair to be ignored at the front desk and then shown to a tiny room. I had an early morning flight and woke up to discover that there was no electricity. No lights and it was still before dawn. A call to the front desk was a waste of time, not even a flashlight (torch) available. Fortunately, the tv was somehow working so I had to pack in the light of the flickering tube. The hotel's solution was to have me shower in the next room which apparently had electricity. When I checked out, there was even an apology.

Unique Quality: Centrally located, but the staff is uppity, unfriendly and unhelpful.

Directions: business area and high end

• LillyOnTheMove's Profile Photo

Great Location!

I loved this hotel! It has been recently renovated, and everything is lovely and new. Considering how tiny most London hotel rooms are, this one was a nice size. The bed is extremely comfortable, and the bath towels are as big as bedsheets. The room service is quite good... It was one of the best hamburgers I had ever had! There is also a day spa within the hotel.

The location of this hotel is also amazing. The Green Park tube stop is only one and a half blocks away, and there is a market across the street. Picadilly is within walking distance. Buckingham Palace is just on the other side of Green Park. Walk to Harrods in 15 minutes. It doesn't get much better than this location!

The staff is very knowledgeable and freindly.

Unique Quality: No need to take a taxi to the hotel... Just hop on the Tube! The Picadilly line travels from Heathrow Airport to Green Park in about 35 minues. Exit the tube stop on Stratton Street and walk a block and a half to the hotel. From the airport to the hotel in 4 - 5 pounds!

Directions: Mayfair area, 1 1/2 blocks from the Green Park tube stop

More about May Fair Hotel

Have Stayed at the Mayfair Hotel A Lot

by TripAdvisor Member kgs

We have stayed in the hotel many times when it was an Intercontinental and once since Raddisson bought it. We love the hotel because of the staff, the location, and they almost always upgrade if available. There are air circulation problems with some of the rooms. Last spring we were in a room with no air circulation and they found a fan for us. Without the fan, we would have moved hotels. It was that uncomfortable. The phone charges are absurd and if you need to connect to the internet for any length of time (like to work!), you are better off spending more for hotel with high speed at a flat rate.

In London I have always felt...

by roger_b

In London I have always felt more comfortable being central. I like the idea of not needing cabs or cars.
My coice The Mayfair Inter-Continental.Very expensive as are all good hotels in London.Very well run excellent accommodations, very large quiet room which was bright and comfortable.
UK Pound Sterling 159 per night not including vat or taxes. Staff attitude was perfect.Nothing was too much trouble. I felt very comfortable and forgot about the price.

The tasting menu is divine

by NedHopkins about Petrus

The decor is elegant and subdued. Located in a hotel, The Berkeley, the restaurant is an easy walk from the Knighsbridge underground station (though we took a taxi back to our Mayfair hotel).

The service is impeccable: responsive without being intrusive.

Named for the extensive selection of Chateau Petrus wines it stocks, the restaurant is part of the culinary empire of Gordon Ramsay, England's most famous (and controversial) chef. Ramsay was at the restaurant the night we dined there, leaving shortly after 8:00.

Petrus carries one star in the 2006 Michelin; it's a good bet to earn one and two more in coming years. Each dish was remarkable; overall the food was superior to what I've had in three-star Michelin restaurants in France. The tasting menu -- available only for everyone at the table -- is a superb repast at £80 (about US$115) per person. The courses (in October 2006):
1. Amuse bouche
2. Pan fried foie gras with apple purée, prunes, and walnuts
3. Scottish scallop with truffles, pink fir potatoes, and extra virgin olive oil
4. Roasted partridge, onion fondue, and Alsace bacon
5. Pan fried halibut on white bean purée with Madeira truffle sauce
6. Cambrian Salt Marsh lamb, creamed cabbage with Pommery mustard, celeriac purée
OR
6. Poached and roasted rump of veal with cep purée, baby leeks, and truffled pomme boulangère
7. Cheese from the trolley (£8 supplement)
8. Pre Dessert
9. Vanilla cream, spiced pears, quince sorbet, and apples

After all that came complimentary (chocolate) truffles; weeks later my wife is still raving about them.

There's an extensive wine list. One Petrus magnum was listed at £22,000 (over US$40,000). We ordered a nice Pinot Gris at a tiny percentage of that figure. With pre- and after-dinner drinks, coffee, and service our two meals came to £252 (about US$460).

sheraton park place (mayfair)...

by WayneSGA

sheraton park place (mayfair) is a great hotel. try the afternoon tea with harp player...so civilized :-).
fairly expensive like most of UK charming old hotel

Loved it!

We loved the Radisson Edwardian May Fair Hotel (originally the MayFair, a historic hotel. It was recently bought by the Radisson chain, and after reading the other reviews, I was a little hesitant about it. We've stayed at the Omni Mark Hopkins, in San Fransisco, the Fairmont Chateau chains in Canada, so we are familiar with top notch hotels and service. I think there will be a little turnover of some of their long time help, unfortuately. They aren't keep their promises and pension to them. But...very well appointed- we had a corner top floor room, so we had 2 bathrooms, one for myself and one for my husband. That worked out very nicely! The room was large for England's standards, with a couch, 2 chairs, a desk (no computer hook-up though), and a king-sized bed. The lighting in the bathrooms were great for putting on make-up, and they had a magnifying mirror to help out too. The weekend help left a lot to be desired, they forgot to call us for our routine call on a Sunday morning, when we REALLY needed it to catch a tour from another hotel. We barely made it in time, and told the staff, but I don't think that will change! Although, they are very friendly, but not trained in the matter of a 4 or 5 star should be. The location to everything was FABULOUS! There's a Green Park tube within a block, and you can walk to some of the best restaurants in the city, within a few short blocks too. Buckingham Palace and the parks are all within a short reach. I would stay there again.

Avoid rooms at the front of the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Saraos

We stayed at the Mayfair last Saturday. The rooms are nice but it is a very noisy location. We were woken several times by people coming out of nearby nightclubs and the noise from the traffic in the morning was also very loud.

Miserable Time at the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member AlexSanJose

In short do not go there!!!!! Especially during the summer ---- you will regret it!

For reference, I booked two rooms last year at the Grafton. The rooms had problems and so the staff moved us to the Mountbatten. It was during a heat wave in August of last year. The rooms at the Mountbatten were well airconditioned. Mountbatten is a jewel!

We just arrived from a two night stay at the Mayfair. I had booked two rooms. The weather in London was hot but not as hot as last year. The hotel airconditioning does not work. We had a miserable stay. The rooms would not cool down properly. My room airconditioning was barely adequate. My daughter's room would not cool down. Since the hotel was fully booked, they were only able to switch my daughter to a cooler room on the last night. One out of three people that we met at the hotel had similar complaints about the airconditioning. When we were checking into our room, another hotel guest in the adjoining room was also checking in and requested to feel the airconditioning in our room because they were also voicing their complaints that their cooling was not working.

To be fair, the hotel staff informed me that there was renovation occurring at the hotel. They also used the excuse - "the hotel is old and the airconditioning cannot cope". The truth is: it is old and it smells musty at least in my room and my daughters room. The electrical plugs were of the old type. My UK adaptor would not work on it. Being older rooms, there were no spare outlets to plug a laptop. All the outlets were used for the lamp lighting. And talk about lighting, when we checked in, one lamp had a missing light bulb and the bathroom had an overhead bulb that was burned out. We reported this and the overhead bulb was not replaced until the next day. The builtin hairdryer gave up on our second night stay.

The hotel staff were trying to as helpful as possible. I have no complaints about them. The night manager personnally helped find a cooler room for my daughter. Nothing could be done about getting a cooler room for my wife and me. He gave a discount for the inconvenience. The staff are true soldiers fighting a losing battle dealing with complaints about the cooling from customers like me.

They do have a good full breakfast buffet. But so does any other Radisson.

A plus - Sainsbury is next door - across the street. A good place to get snacks/groceries/drinks.

The hotel is broken and needs fixing. It gives Radisson a bad name.

They'd given away our room so I didn't ge the chance to find out

My husband and I turned up on Saturday night to check into our 'superior double room' to find that the hotel had overbooked and didn't have a room for us. The French duty manager was singularly unapologetic. They eventually offered us a room in a sister hotel miles away or, as a most attractive option, a single room which they were somehow going to stuff us both into. We declined. The doorman was delightful and the bar staff seemed more embarassed at out plight than either the receptionists or the duty manager.

Momo - Kemia bar Mayfair LondonMomo - Kemia bar Mayfair London

MayfairMayfair

MayfairMayfair

a shopping arcade in Mayfaira shopping arcade in Mayfair

mayfair, where to go...

by masterplanner

staying there in a couple of weeks for a wedding anniversary, i'm desparate to impress and would welcome any suggestions on places to go in that area.
Trendy bars, nice restuarants anything that would help make it a memorable weekend.
'Avenue' restuarant has been suggested to me in James street, anyone been there ?

Many thanks, Deano

by Tdiver

Nice pub is the Audley arms on south Audley street just down from grosvenor square.

by UKDaisy

For some good restaurant deals, check out the website www.toptable.co.uk
At the moment, "Avenue" restaurant have special offers on that website.

Have heard that afternoon tea at The Ritz hotel is nice, but not tried it myself.

by paulinuk2u

londontown.com

by film

There are a couple of nice places around Shepherds market. Polish-Mexican? It had to happen.

This rather posh website, gives you an idea what to expect

by robine

I've tried tea at the Ritz - good to experience once, but certainly over-priced.

Comments