Mentone Hotel

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

• leics's Profile Photo

Clean, convenient, quietly located

Like the Euro Hotel (see other tip) this hotel is also in Cartwright Gardens, a quiet Georgian crescent overlooking a large and leafy green space (with tennis courts). It's exceptionally well-located for Euston, Kings Cross and St Pancras station, is about 10 minutes walk from the British Museum and has easy access to the rest of the city by Tube or bus. You can walk to the city centre in around 20 minutes or so (it's about a mile from most places of interest).

I like staying in this area because not only is it convenient for getting around and very quiet (in terms of traffic), it also feels very safe and there are plenty of places to eat and drink within easy walking distance.

Along with the other hotels in the crescent, the Mentone has been converted from two large Georgian terraced houses. Rooms are not large (UK hotel rooms aren't anyway) but are perfectly adequate. There is no lift and the hotel is not suitable for those with disabilities (steps up to the entrance, stairs down to the breakfast room, lots of stairs to the rooms).

My room was very clean, with wardrobe, desk, flat-screen TV and tiny ensuite. There is also a guest lounge, with a large television and comfortable chairs.

Breakfast included juices, fresh fruit salad, cold boiled eggs, yoghurts and fruit as well as the English breakfast', which was well-cooked and offered a choice of fried or scrambled eggs., plus tea or coffee and toast with preserves.

Staff were efficient and courteous.

Wifi is free and I found it to be efficient but downloading is not allowed (there are financial penalties for doing so).

Directions: Cartwright Gardens is just off Euston Road, about halfway between Euston and St Pancras stations.

• Just perfect for us

In September 2009, we stayed three nights in a quadruple room with four adults and one toddler. The room comprised two double beds (each approx. 120 cm width) plus one extra bed for the toddler (approx. 70 x 120 cm) at a very reasonable price of 120 Pounds per night for the room.

The room was cozy and the bathroom small, but everything was nice and clean. Towels were changed daily. Both the walls and the carpet floor seemed to be recently refurbished. There's an electric water kettle in the room so you can make your own tea. Sure, there is no elevator, but where is the problem with that? I've got two feet and two arms...

The small breakfast room in the basement was cute - we were seated on a small table and our breakfast order was taken by a very friendly and funny lady called Elena. You were free to choose from scrambled eggs, fried eggs, sausage, bacon, tomatoes each day which were made-to-order. Additionally, tea, coffee, toast, butter and marmelade were served. From the buffet, you could choose between croissants, juices, milk, water, yoghurt, different types of cereals, muesli and tinned fruit.

By London standards, the hotel is situated in a rather calm street in a pleasant neighbourhood. The chip key for the entrance door grants 24 hour access to the hotel. It's a five minutes' walk from the tube and train station King's Cross/St. Pancras where five tube lines converge which is great for getting around. The British Museum is equally only 10 minutes on foot. Just around the corner from the hotel, you will find several Pubs and restaurants, two small supermarkets and an internet café.

We would highly recommend this hotel to people travelling on a budget, it's suitable for families and singles alike. We had a great time!

Directions: Close to King's Cross and the British Museum

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Centrally located

Somehow, in the middle of large cities, my nose for sniffing out good accommodation at a reasonable price seems to desert me. I should have noted the Tripadvisor comments on the internet before I booked.
    Outside the lovely semi-circular street surrounding the tennis courts and gardens belies what you may find inside. The whole of the street actually is hotels and nothing but.
    The Mentone, lodged in the middle of them, is rather obviously run on budget lines and thus the Polish community make up the bulk of staff which brings the ever present problem of communications and the feeling that they've been hired at the cheapest possible rate and really don't care much about the friendliness of the service.
    On two of the five nights we stayed there, the linen wasn't changed and the beds left unmade, something that has never happened to me before and didn't endear the place to my partner or myself. The room itself was O.K. We had the one nearest reception, unlike some other people who have been stuck in the attic.
    We had an ensuite which is a blessing when you're in a major city so that was a plus and the price, 65 pounds a night, was good for the location but not the level of service.
    The advertised English breakfast varied depending upon whether they had purchased mushrooms or tomatoes at the local supermarket but the service was brisk and sometimes friendly.
    At the end of the day if I was with my partner I definitely wouldn't stay there again but might chance it if I was on my own trying to save money.

Unique Quality: One big plus I had to give them was that they have a free internet computer. That, for me, was very helpful and, along with the central location, were the two big ticks I would give the place.

• sunlovey's Profile Photo

Cozy rooms & Traditional English Breakfast

This place is so quaint and cute. The location is quiet and scenic. The hotel staff is friendly enough. The Room was COZY (as in small) and charmingly decorated in an English country theme.

The bathroom reminded me of something out of an RV (recreational vehicle) but I guess that was part of its charm right?

A full English breakfast is served daily in a sweet little breakfast room.

This place is quite reasonably priced for London.

Unique Quality: The location is good. It's off the beaten path and still convenient to major London attractions. You feel like you're staying in someone's home.

ALSO! The Jenkins Hotel was featured in the Agatha Christie television series. Cool huh?

Price is based upon a double room with private shower: 85 pounds per night for two

Directions: From the Airports:
    *Heathrow: Take the Piccadilly Line direct to Russell Square, a five minute walk away.
    *Gatwick: Take Thameslink to Kings Cross or The Gatwick Express to Victoria. The Victoria line to Euston, a five minute walk away.

• Pappy17's Profile Photo

There's a room at this manger

We were looking forward to visiting London for a long time, and unfortunately, we stayed at this hotel.

We've never been treated so indifferently by hotel staff as we were here. Our room was on the top floor, and no one helped me or my pregnant wife carry luggage to our room.

While our room looked very nice, it smelled, well, not very nice. The en-suite bathroom (one of those little rooms that's built into the existing room) had, shall we say, some problems. First of all, the sink would not drain unless the toilet was flushed, and, I'm tired of being coy. The bathroom smelled of urine. Always.

The breakfast was good.

We will return to London, but you can be sure we won't be staying at the Jenkins.

Unique Quality: Close to British Museum, theaters, train, and tube stations. The park across the street is nice.

Directions: Russell Square/Bloomsbury

• Basic/Quiet/Well-Located

Just returned from London and a conmfortable 4-night stay at the Jenkins Hotel. This is a basic 14-room property in Bloomsbury. It is called a hotel, but it is close in feel to a B&B. A cooked-to-order breakfast was included.

Our room (#10) was small but not tiny and had a large shower stall and separate W/C. The wash basin with a new surround was apart from the shower and toilet. There was a hairdryer, a very small refrigerator/mini-bar, and a safe.

There is no elevator and no A/C. The latter would be a negative in the summer, at least on the upper floors.

Unique Quality: Location across from a small park made for a quiet stay. It's near the British Museum and the theater district. It's safe and close enough to walk to either.

I would recommend this hotel, but not for the 1st time visitor or for those who want more hotel services/amenities.

• Small and Nasty

We stayed at this hotel recently and found it to be inadequate in every way. The rooms were tiny and the bathrooms were even smaller. The shower in the bathroom was hooked up to the sink and it was so small it felt like you were showering on the toilet.
    There was no elevator or staff assistance with luggage - we were on the third floor. We felt for the price we could have done a lot better.

Unique Quality: The hotel was only a couple of Underground stops from the theatre area but we weren;t sure of our safety for walking from the station to the hotel.

Directions: About a five minute walk from Russell Square and about the same distance from Kings Cross stations

Comments