Middlethorpe Hall

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Middlethorpe Hall

Lovely hotel, great massage

by TripAdvisor Member P-Gal

We stayed a night at Middlethorpe Hall with a large group as part of a 2 week music tour and it is quite a lovely property. The spa is good too -- my massage, while pricey, was expert and left me in a blissful state for hours, perfect for wandering the lovely gardens.

We "won" the room lottery and were assigned one of the two courtyard suites, which was huge and beautifully furnished. Service was good too. Dinner left a little bit to be desired though -- excellent and tender duck, but the foie gras served with it was poorly cleaned and prepared which detracted from the the dish. The starter was okay but nothing to rave about.

Lovely girly birthday treat

by TripAdvisor Member tracker822

We stayed for my friends birthday mid November on a Sunday Night.
The drive into the hotel grounds gives you a taste of whats to come, lovely.
Check in was smooth and personable.
My husband arranged a delux room overlooking the lawns the views were stunning and it looked like something straight out of Victorian novel.
I did notice there was not Tea and Coffee making facilities but GASP!! is that the end of the world? I think not.
The room was lovely, think Laura Ashley.
We found the service second to none, e.g. when we arrived a bottle of Champagne arranged in the room from husband, I rang reception, who sent someone up straight away to take it downstairs for us.
This was provided with nibbles etc and we sunk the bottle in front of large roaring fire! Nice.
Dinner was lovely we managed two courses and it was perfect.
It was really busy a couple of your suspect, stuffed shirts there but you get that everywhere.
We used the Spa the next day. For spa fans its very small but keep thinking oldey worldey laura ashley here, espa treatments. we had the hot stone therapy and facial...bliss. staff were lovely too.
re location, its near the racecourse, if you want to be nearer the town go for the grange or churchill.
I think the whole point of staying in a place like this is to enjoy the hotel itself?
All in all, this place would fit the bill for romantic or girly getaway.
Men note: massive browney points for oraganising a girlie day or night.

Excellent food

by TripAdvisor Member CG2

We stayed here for a weekend in January and found the service very good. We were upgraded to a small suite, which was lovely. True, there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, but I've always hated kettles and sachets of sugar in bedrooms so I didn't mind.

We had dinner on both evenings and the food was excellent. I couldn't fault the meal, clean plates all round. Breakfast was good too, although I would prefer strong filter coffee to a cafetiere.

We both had treatments in the spa, where the staff are friendly and professional. My only complaint there is that guests get undressed and put on bathrobes, then wait for a bit in reception, which felt a bit odd with fully-dressed staff coming and going.

All in all, a very relaxing and luxurious place.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member cadlwell26

I booked this hotel after a friend told me that it was miles away from York, but I just loved the pictures on their website. I arrived to the train station and took a taxi. What was my surprise when not even 10 minunes later I was checking in!
My boyfriend and I where celebrating our anniversary and were planning to go out into York to have dinner, however, after having a swim in the Spa, and relaxing in the jacuzzi we were not in the mood to go out, so we ordered a bottle of champagne to our room and decided to have dinner in the hotel. I don't think a could have found a more romantic venue, we had a candlelit dinner, the food was excellent and the staff could not do enough for us. After dinner we sat in the lounge and have coffee with chocolates. Now, if they sold those chocolates in shops I would be the first to buy them, they are fantastic.

We had a great stay which it was made even better when we asked reception if we could have a late check out as we had decided to book treatments in the Spa. The receptionist checked in her computer (we thought she was going to give us the usual answer, you know, "sorry we'd love to but ....") but she only asked, "until what time do you think you'd need the room?". We said 3o'clock and she just answered, "that should be fine, just let us know if you need any help with your bags later".

We had our treatments, I had a full body massage (It felt like I was walking in clouds by the time I left the Spa) and my boyfriend had a facial (Not just for women, you know!), then we had a sandwich and went back to reception. We went to check out, and even though the receptionist was a different girl, she seemed to know our names before we told her (How do they do it?). We paid and reception booked a taxi for us. When the taxi arrived we told the girl that our bags were still in the room, and she said that they have been put in the car already by the porter (Which they had!). We sadly jumped into the car and said goodbye to Middlethorpe, I really hope that I will be able to stay there again soon. It was a little dearer than the other hotels in York, but well worht it.

We'll be back soon!

by TripAdvisor Member PaulBar

All the staff were friendly and helpful, the service was immaculate. We were surprised by how good the food was; we were not expecting such a fine restaurant from what we had read about the hotel. But even better, mobiles and computers are not allowed in the public rooms, HEAVEN!!!
Perhaps the bathroom was a bit small, but we'll definitely be back.

What a Wonderful Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Collegeprof101

Well just got back from four days staying at the Middlethorpe and all I can say are that those individuals who gave a 1 star rating below either had some sort of axe to grind or were at a different hotel.

We were booked on the York Summer Break package which included a three-course dinner, early morning tea and the full english breakfast. When we arrived were were upgraded to the Garden Suite, a wonderful and luxurious suite of rooms up from the main hall just past the Spa. This turned out to be one of the best hotel suites my wife and I have stayed in (and we collect hotel suites as a hobby). For the next four days the staff could no do enough for us.

The dinner each night was excellent, one reviewer has suggested that it was "modern if rather tasteless and bland cooking". Well my wife and I regularly visit well known London Restaurants and I can tell you although it wasn't quite as good as our dinner the week before at the Savoy Grill it matched fare we have had in several equally well known establishments (some of which hold Michelin Stars). The breakfast, far from being "clearly been cooked earlier and kept warm in a water bath." was fresh and used local ingredients (and was much better than the Savoy's).

The only down side is that yes, the road may be heard from the back of the hotel, but not with the windows closed (and even open the noise is minimal for those of us who live in cities).

In sum this was four excellent days. First rate food, excellent surroundings, and attentive staff. We will be back. Do not hesitate to book this hotel you will not be disappointed.

Disappointing.

by TripAdvisor Member Kate888

A beautiful house but the drawing room was out of bounds on the afternoon we were staying. A private party was using it and we were asked to either sit in the hall or use a small room upstairs; no newspapers, magazines etc. Rather unwelcoming. No alternative to a very expensive dinner in rather gloomy dining room, apart from room service in one's room. No lighter food available. Bedroom in courtyard very dark with small windows and a very small bathroom with shower over bath.

The only place in York to stay

by TripAdvisor Member beenthere62

Beautiful setting ... lovely house and gardens set in a peaceful part of York near the Archbishops Palace and York Racecourse
Middlethorpe is grand yet a very comfortable place to stay run by an excellent team of staff who manage to accomplish everything whilst keeping a low profile
The food is very good overall ( the only minor fault being rather insipid coffee !) and if the tariff looks a little on the high side, it's worth every penny . Always a good idea to look at their website for the many special breaks and 'deals' though !
Middlethorpe is a hard act to follow - everything a country house hotel should be

More than a hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member reidsmom

We visited this truly unique place while on a tour. We were a group of about 50 and we had afternoon tea when we arrived and dinner that night. The food was excellent, (the chef cut fresh herbs from the garden while we were strolling through) but the grounds and accomodations are what make this so hotel so wonderful. The gardens are breath-taking, the rooms so beautifully decorated we hated to leave them, but the grounds beckoned. Flowers, herbs,vegetables,fruit trees,croquet court, fountains, benches throughout, and a family of ducks in the large gardens behind the Hall. A rabbit down close to the spa, a lake back in the woods. We only stayed overnight but longed for more. Our "room" was like a small English cottage-gorgeous! If you have a chance definitely stay here!

Stunning Gardens

by TripAdvisor Member hazelhedge

We stayed at this property one night as part of a tour of Britain, and it was definitely our favorite of the trip. The manager was charming and helpful, and we received personal attention throughout our stay despite being in a large group. Our room was large and comfortable; the food was tasty and artfully presented. The portions were modest, except for the cheese course (one of the dessert options), which was ample and delicious. The highlight of our stay was exploring the beautiful gardens, which included trees, shrubs, herbs, fruits and flowers in a gorgeous arrangement. We never made it to the pool or sauna because we couldn't bear to leave the gardens. We were so sorry to leave this place and we hope to return for a longer stay.

Comments