Minc Apartments, Spitalfields

12 - 18 Artillery Lane, Spitalfields, off Liverpool Street, London, E1 7LS, United Kingdom

More about London

Thames Path National TrailThames Path National Trail

interesting war memorial outside Stockwell undergrinteresting war memorial outside Stockwell undergr

Imperial War MuseumImperial War Museum

Westminster Hall and the Houses of ParliamentWestminster Hall and the Houses of Parliament

Plus size shopping for men

by maria-belgrade

Dear all,

if anyone could give me recommendation for a good store for "big" men in central London area (website or address) I would very much appreciate it.

Additional question: do you think that (excluding shopping and transport), 100 pounds a day would be enough for general expences 2 people, just for getting around, coffe, beer and a quick bite to eat?

Thanks very much,

Maria

by puerto_lover

I did find a store near to Harrods in Knighstbridge that is the London branch of an American company called Rochester Big & Tall. http://www.rochesterclothing.com

The location and further details are found if you cut & paste this address into Google Maps.

90 Brompton Rd, London, SW3 1ER, United Kingdom (Rochester Big & Tall) @51.499651,-0.163958

I am sure that there are others.

Try the Yellow Pages http://www.yell.com/

£100 seems a fair amount - there is a big variety of places to spend money in London !

by leics

100GBP, excluding shopping and transport, will be ample imo. I'd be looking to spend around 30GBP max per day, maybe 40 if including entrances.

You can, of course, easily spend much more but you will not go short on 100GBP.

High & Mighty is a well-known UK chain for larger men.

Four London High & Mighty stores are listed here (not just clothes for tall men, by the way), as well as others including the Rochester store mentioned above:

Marks & Spencers do a 'big and tall' range:

Plenty of M&S stores in London. Use the storefinder on the weblink.

by suvanki

Hi! I was in London a couple of weeks ago, and saw that lots of restaurants and Cafes are offering lower priced menus than usual - credit crunch competition!

Boots do 'Meal Deals' Sandwich/salad, snack - crisps/nuts/fruit/cake and drink -juice/smoothie/ cola/ water etc for £2.95
Marks and Spencers had a £2 Meal Deal through April, not sure if they're continuing this, but they do 3 for 2 offers or 3 for £5 etc on picnic snacks. Which might be a way to save money at lunch times.

Some pubs and restaurants do 'Early Bird' offers, with reduced prices if you eat before 1900/19.30. Also Happy Hour for reduced price beers etc.

I purchased an Oyster travel card, for the first time that saved me money on transport, as I was travelling out of the central zones.

Have a Great trip!
Sue

by maria-belgrade

Thanks guys, you are the best :)

VT rules :)

Travel Tips for London

Even if you are not a history...

by AndrewMilk

Even if you are not a history buff, you must see the sights in London. I sometimes like to avoid tourist spots, however there is so much history there you really must see as many places as possible. My favorite place was St Paul's Cathedral. Breathtaking. The history in London puts the US to shame. I visited areas that I had learned about as a child, and that had been there for hundreds of years.

catch the CHANGING OF THE...

by Krystynn

catch the CHANGING OF THE GUARDS CEREMONY here at Buckingham Palace!!!

This exciting event takes place just outside the Palace at 11.30AM from early-April to August DAILY and, in winter on alternate days.

Don't miss it!!! You can catch the tube to Victoria Station or St James Park station... and make your way from there to the Palace, located just a short distance away. Enjoy!!!

Shop at Harrods - THE...

by O.KATALINA

Shop at Harrods - THE departmental store of the Royal Family and the rich and famous. I must say, however, even though it is quite impressive with many floors of goods like food, clothing (very very upmarket designer stuff), music, books, furniture etc..I am not THAT impressed probably because we have seen many megastores in Singapore as well with many many types of shops selling everything you would need. I would not say it is the fondest memory but certainly one that I will never forget - wonder if you have the tendency to check out the LOO when you are in a posh hotel or beautiful house? You know, just to see if the toilet is as clean and beautiful as well? Well, you guess right, we decided to check out the LADIES at Harrods and were stopped at the entrance of the loo by a perfectly uniformed Harrods lady who told us to show her the receipt of purchase at the store. Otherwise, we will have to pay 1 pound to get in there - I mean 1 POUND!! We have not purchased anything yet then so just to see what 'gold' they have inside, me and friend actually paid 1 POUND to get in there!! I am happy to report that it looked quite nice inside, just like those found in 5 star hotels with nice handsoap and perfume on the sink. But, the superior than thou attitude of the Harrods staff is the unforgettable one which made shopping at this place not a pleasant one...so be warned!

"Sorry, we are British....."

by Luchonda

The British have something that makes them different than other Europeans. They drive at the left-hand side of the way and use still the pound. A few habits that makes them typical and different :
Make the queue please!
Visiting an event or taking a bus, we often try to push forward in all possible manners. In many cases it becomes a survival of the fittest. The English man continues standing alive making a queue, patiently

Cooking
Jamie Oliver is one of the most well-known cooks in Europe You would think therefore that there many kitchen princes and - princesses walk around in United Kingdom, but nothing is less true.
English cooking is in many cases an experiment

English breakfast
Fast ready-to-eat meals or ordinary fastfood is a hot item
Modern parents give their children what they want
A healthy salad is almost from pine boze.
The English breakfast is not very varied. But the idea that this forms the daily breakfast, has been completely retrieved.

Tea with milk and scones
The English people have a long tradition drinking tea.They drink a kind of tea as black as possible…. and than they spoil it by adding some milk and a lot of sugar

Services in pubs/bars and bistros

Typical British : sitting in a pub or bistro – there is no table service.
You have to order/ pay and take your drinks/snacks at the counter.

A good camera

by ZanieOR

This was the first trip I had a digital camera, researched and purchased specifically for my trip to London.
It is a FujiFilm S 5000 and selected for the combination of price, user reviews and the 10x optical zoom lens, which made so much difference in getting many photos. For example the "Where's Mick" opening photo was taken across the street and I love the expressions and story I was able to capture.

The camera also doubles for my work camera, and I have it with me always -- as a reporter/photographer at home and as a tourist everywhere else. Luckily I have no problem with being mistaken for a tourist.

Make sure you get a LARGE image card (I got two) for photos -- even though I edited my photos every night I still ended up with a couple hundred "keepers."
(I have trouble throwing anything away)
Also make sure you either have a camera like mine that uses regular batteries or bring your charger along.

My trusty digital makes it a lot easier to download photos for VT than scanning my old ones. I love it!

Comments