Morgan Hotel

24 Bloomsbury Street, Bloomsbury, London, WC1B 3QJ, United Kingdom

More about Morgan Hotel

A stone's throw from the British Museum

One of the nice things about a free museum, like the British Museum, is that you don't feel that you have to do the whole thing in one feel swoop. One nice thing about the Morgan Hotel is that it's a stone's throw from the British Museum. You can stop by each day to see something new and really savor the experience. The staff at the Morgan was very helpful and accomodating. They even stored by bicycle in the hotel while I traveled down to Spain for a week. If you stay, I recomend the first floor rooms that open to the garden.

What a great family owned B&B!!

by TripAdvisor Member lilliemae

We arrived in Gatwick Airport (south of London )after traveling all night from Atlanta. The Gatwick Express was relatively easy and it transported us to Victoria Station right at the height of morning rush hour. For some reason my husband and I thought we should take the tube to the Morgan Hotel--so with two huge suitcases and one carryon, we climbed many steps, changed trains twice, and got in many peoples' way. (Take a cab--its so much easier) Anyway.... by the time we arrived at the Morgan, it was 11AM, we were exhausted, and we had four hours before we were suppose to check into our room. We asked if we could just leave our luggage there and return. John (the owner) insisted we take a one bedroom apartment in the annex that was ready for no additional cost!! He was a life saver!!! He then turned us over to his son who was just as nice. What wonderful people!! They made us feel as though we were the most important people they had staying at their hotel.The cozy apartment was much like living in your own three room (bedroom, living area, & kitchen)apartment. The decor was wonderful and made us really feel we were experiencing the culture.The breakfast was a traditional "English" breakfast. Good food was not something we expected but this breakfast was tasty.I would very highly recommend the Morgan Hotel on Bloomsbury St. to anyone who visits London. The location is great; the rooms are clean and nicely furnished; but mostly---the owners are absolutely wonderful!!

There are better deals

I chose to stay at this hotel based on very favorable reviews at tripadvisor.com and also on either Frommers or Fodors; can't remember which. The proprietor seemed just fine. The location is good but there are several hotels in the area. My room was just plain strange, and it was apparently an upgrade. I think this is some sort of long term occupancy hotel thing that sucks in a lot of U.S. tourists. Everyone there seemed to be from the U.S. You know the kind of place if you've done a decent amount of traveling.Breakfast was poor and I chose to skip it for all but the first day. I think next time around I'd look into the Grange hotels (if I wanted to stay in the same area). Mind you, I didn't stay there, but I stepped into one around the corner and it seemed much nicer, price is certainly comparable, and the rooms actually looked nice. Who knows. Anyway, I would not stay at the Morgan Hotel again nor would I recommend it.

USA meets the UK~Morgan Style

My parents and I visited the UK from December 1 through December 6, 2003. As this was our first visit, I used many travel books and online info to aid me in the selection process. I noticed the reviews of the Morgan on Tripadvisor and decided upon this establishment. Our limited budget hit the jackpot! John and David were welcoming hosts and supplied us with clean rooms and a delicious English breakfast. The meals did not change day to day, but let's face it, when you first awaken each morning and someone else prepares the meal (which you can smell cooking at 6:00am) do you really care what is on the menu?! There is no lift, so disabled persons should request a ground floor. You will not be disappointed, it is truly Britain at its finest!!

4th Stay At The Morgan

by TripAdvisor Member TravelinManSMonica

Just returned from another week at the Morgan. We stayed at the top of the hotel in Room 12 this time. I must admit that the room was QUITE small with two twin beds. But the room was recently renovated and is very well done with new carpet and a more contemporary design in the bed spread, pictures and light fixtures. The bathrooms are much more modern now and although at first we were intent on moving to a larger room - we stayed in Room 12 - and had a great time! (It's all a state of mind anyway! If you are determined to have a bad time ANYWHERE - you certainly will!) There is still work going on in the hotel but behind the scenes - we did not see the construction - but they (David and John Ward) are adding a better reception area and transforming some of the extisting space to storage. I still cannot recommend The Morgan highly enough. Similar rooms on the same block all start at 145 pounds (or $250.00 per night) and may not include breakfast - whereas The Morgan's doubles are 95 pounds (or $160.00) per night and include one of the best breakfasts (and best breakfast rooms) in London! The Wards are very friendly and accomodating. They know innkeeping and how to deliver a great time in London. If you are having a problem - just ask! Above all the location of The Morgan is its best asset. Next to the British Museum, Theatreland nearby - it's an EASY walk to any of the theatres in fact! Wagamama less than one block away and Poon's Chinese and Konaki Greek restaurants only a couple of blocks away make this place the best bargain for its location in London! Shop Oxford Street, Charing Cross Road, Regent Street, there's so much to do...

Yaay, Morgan!

by TripAdvisor Member frabjousday

We stayed in one of the apartments at the Morgan in March of 2000. We had a very happy week there! Great location, excellent breakfast. The shower was a little peculiar, but hey, you're in London. I loved the bathtub! It even had a pull-out drying rack for those "delicates" you wash in the sink.

Would go back anytime I was going to London.

what a disapointment!

Granted the location is great (just across the british museum) but what a disappointment! The place was not at all what my husband and I expected especially after reading so many positive reviews. I find it hard to believe it has been recently renovated. Our flat, although spacious, badly needs a facelift. It is poorly and cheaply decorated, there even was a huge garbage bag with extra sheet and blanket just behind a chair in the bedroom.. not very nice indeed. I guess it was probably clean the sad part is, it didnt feel like it..

Great Morgan

by TripAdvisor Member MaxUK

What a fine little B&B in central London. I have to totally agree with the other reviewers that this is a gem of a place with excellent staff - very friendly and helpful. It is very cosy, clean, warm, and you couldn't ask for a better location - next to British Museum, close to Oxford Street, Leicester Square and underground (metro) station.

Enjoy your stay!

convenient and comfortable

This is a very comfortable B & B right next to the British Museum. Easy access to Russell Square, Holborn and Tottenham Court Road stops. The rooms are up-to-date and much more homey than their counterparts in the area tourist-class hotels. I stayed for 8 days during a very rainy November and didn't feel claustrophobic. I would definitely stay here again. Note; Linens do not get changed daily during the same guests' stay. Also, there was no common room or lobby for hanging out.

Perfect location, delivers value

We stayed in a second floor walkup suite with (small) bath, shower, kitchen, living room for 10 nights. It was quiet, comfortable, including the double bed. Daily room services and full, hot breakfast were good and consistent. Owner and family are on-site and responsive.
No problems whatsoever. The suites are scheduled for renovation in 2004-2005, so they should be even better then, but the suite availability could be limited during that time. Cost was reasonable except of course for the weak dollar ($1.92/L). All the comforts of a hotel--and much cheaper than those in the area--with more room and no hassles. We will definitely stay at the Morgan again.

Comments