323 New Cross Road, London, SE14 6AS, United Kingdom

Real Life; Almost Like a PaintingReal Life; Almost Like a Painting

Nasi Lemak In LondonNasi Lemak In London

West End Gastro Pubs?

by dldkag

I'll be back in town next month and I'm hoping to have a nice pub meal on the Sunday night that I'm there. My hotel is in Covent Garden, and I'm very familiar with which pubs offer the best Ale selections. I'm not sure, though, which might offer the best dining options. Any suggestions would be great (they don't need to be strictly West End pubs, as I don't mind a short tube ride or long walk for a good meal). Thanks, Dave

by TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER

Hi Dave

Hope you enjoyed a few if the pubs I recommended on your recent trip.

For excellent dining at a Pub, try The Thomas Cubitt in Belgravia. It is right across from one of my favorite restaurants, Il Vaporetto which is closed on Sunday's.

Call to make sure they are open Sunday's. It is exceptional.
Cheers!

Sean

The Thomas Cubitt
44 Elizabeth St, Belgravia,
London SW1W 9PA
Reservations: +44 (0) 20 7730 6060

by ricky52

The food in London is good, however if you want a decent pint you will have to travel at least 200 miles North :o)

by TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER

Ricky
Agreed! Great bitters to be found for sure at the St. Stephens, but I just can't find a fine pint of Sheep Shaggers (Cairngorm Brewery) in London the way I can up north. Nectar of the Gods!

Cheers!

Sean

by jo104

Not so sure on london Ales but can maybe organise a few local vt'ers to meet up & join you for dinner.

Travel Tips for London

Victoria Embankment Gardens

by irisbe

Victoria Embankment Gardens is a nice green lung in the middle of the heavy traffic.
It lies just outside the Embankment Tube station.
It exists out of a garden with grass parts on which some you are allowed to sit and others you cannot walk on; a cafeteria with terrace where you can have a drink; some statues and a little corner with a stage and real beach chairs from which you can see the performances. When I was visiting there was a kind of Russian folkdance group.
The music and the jumping feet of the dancers mixed well with the afternoon sun!

Panoramic picture, click on it to enjoy the full size!

For more pictures about the park and our meeting there visit my Fotki album.

Rainbow Gals, August 2002

by bakpakchik

I call this day My Brilliant Saturday. We had an amazing time: Irantzu, myself and Zoe. We had a lovely lunch in the park. It was a rare sunny afternoon for London and pale Londoners had come out in flocks to catch the suns rays.

After licking our fingers off, we walked in the general direction of the new Tate, where we wanted to see the brilliant Vodka maze installation that everyone was talking about. Walking through the park, all of a sudden, the eight-year-olds in us came out. We saw how the water leaking from a pipe made a tiny rainbow and decided that this was our last chance to see BOTH ENDS OF A RAINBOW! A bunch of Spanish students had a similar idea and all ten of us had a lovely frolicking time in the water. Even Zoe in her gorgeous pink outfit (see story below)

Heat. Water. Drops sprinkling down our hot backs and into our hair. Both ends of the rainbow. We went a little mad. We frolicked about in the water for a bit. I whipped out my camera and we joined the spanish kids. When we couldn't possibly get any wetter, we stepped out and continued off towards the Tate. Wet and dripping from top to toe, but deliriously happy.

Visit the Monument to the Great Fire of London

by vichatherly

The Mounument to the great fire of London is worth seeing. Take the underground to Mounment underground station. You might not notice as you walk out of the station because it is right in fron of you and is 202ft tall.
It was designed by Christopher Wren and completed in 1677.
The Monument commemorates the Great Fire of London of 1666. The fire started in Pudding Lane. The column is the tallest free standing stone column in the world.
If you feel like a climb then you can go all the way to the top for fantastic views of the City.

Great Fire of London

Address
Monument Street, London EC2
Tel: 020 7626 2717
April-September: M-F 9:00am-5:40pm, SA-SU 2:00pm-5:40pm
October-March: M-SA 9:00am-3:40pm

London Tip

by Krystynn

Here's another glimpse of the captivating TOWER BRIDGE.

Try taking an elevator up to the top of the North Tower. From the enclosed high-level walkway up at the North Tower, you'd be able to catch a sweeping view of the entire city of London! No kidding! You must check it out!!!

Need VT in a hurry?

by easyoar

Need VT in a hurry, and can't find an internet cafe?

Then don't forget that many pay phones in the capital are now Broadband equipped, so you can just start browsing the web at high speed whilst still on the street.

They come with a reasonable size ascreen and a keyboard, so surfing shouldn't be too difficult!

Comments