5 Cavendish Square, London, W1G 0PG, United Kingdom

Westminister AbbeyWestminister Abbey

Hyde ParkHyde Park

Lodging just outside London

by DeniB81

We are heading down to go to the globe theater on THIS Friday and then need to be in Cambridge on Saturday and then back to London for Sunday. I wanted to choose a place to stay that we can drive to easily so I don't want to go right into town but close enough to take the underground to the Globe and Victoria and Albert. On the north side so it is convenient to drive up to Cambridge for the day. I need parking, safe area and a hotel with large, clean rooms with WiFi if possible. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe Premier Inn London Edgware near Stanmore stop or Premier Inn Hampstead but open to any place. After London we head south to Canterbury. Thanks!

by planxty

Hi Denise,

a lot of your choice is down to budget.

I would suggest somewhere Northeast of the city (suggestions later) on the Essex borders, which will give you a relatively easy drive to Cambridge. I see you suggest Premier Inns so I will make suggestions in that type of price range.

Before I do, remmeber that the Globe and the V&A are quite a distance apart, so allow travelling time for that.

You might try the Travelodge in Ilford which is very close to the mainline Station which will take you into town in about 20 minutes so you could connect with a tube. There is no parking at the actual hotel but is available nearby. It also has the advantage of being very close to the North Circular which will lead you right onto the Cambridge road. This is the site.

Alternatively, Travelodge at Gants Hill has parking and is within spitting distance of Gants Hill tube on the Central Line.

If you like (as you seem to do) Premier Inns I would suggest you would be better off at the Loughton / Buckhurst Hill one. Wifi available at a charge, and a short walk to the Tube Station (again Central Line). This will also leave you well placed to get on the road to Cambridge as it is close to the M11.

Website here.

On the Central line, tubes run until after midnight so if you are having a night at the Globe you will easily get home.

This website will help with transportation in London

Hope this assists,

fergy.

by DeniB81

Thanks for answering so thoroughly! That is very helpful. I am not partial to Premier inn...I have never stayed there. Basically, I want safe, pleasant convenient area, ease of driving to it and parking (prefer free parking of course), close to right tube stop, and CLEAN, large rooms ( there are three of us)preferably with WiFi. In the rest of UK we have stayed in nice B and B's. I don't know what to expect to pay but we are willing to pay a bit more to get these things. Any suggestions are fine. I can look up hotel on trip advisor but I don't know areas so help with choosing perfect compromise. Thanks!

by Trekki

Hi Denise,
I can highly recommend the one I stayed in: Swan Private Guesthouse in Chiswick:
(second tip). It is 5 min from Turnham Green tube station (District Line, but after 10 pm, the Picadilly Line also stops there, and apart from that, you can change at Hammersmith to Picadilly as well). I paid 27,50 GBP last summer including breakfast and they have huge rooms. She is prepared to serve full English breakfast, but you can choose what you want. Quietly located and anything you need is nearby: a lovely crèpe restaurant, supermarket, bookstore, brewery.
Ingrid :-)

Travel Tips for London

Henley on Thames

by Plendil

I had almost forgotten about my visit to Henley which is South of London! It is such a lovely place to take a walk down by the riverside. You can feed the ducks and swans which I am sure they'll appreciate. See the really nice houses down on the banks, and if you're lucky, you might see someone famous! I know there is a Henley boat race but I am afraid I have no information as to when it is. Parking nearby but I know it was expensive (don't forget I am not used to London's prices). Nice town to wander around if you have the time.

Royal College of Art

by goglobe

Here is the Royal College of Art at Piccadilly and a collection of Pre-Raphaelite paintings is on display. In fact this very collection is from Andrew Llyod Webber, but of course it does not have those very representative works of the great masters, which are kept at the Tate Britain.

Heathrow - An unhappy day for me

by Elodie_Caroline

i
I can't class this as a favourite thing or memory really, it's a very unhappy memory for me.

My brother Paul, who is just 11 months younger than me, decided that him and his family were going to emigrate to Australia. I love my brother Paul, I really like his wife Corrie, and I love my two nephews Darren and Gary. But the day finally came. 21st April 1997, when we had to say goodbye to my kith and kin. I was quite brave at the time, until the lift door closed, to take them off to their plane, then I shed a few etars as little Gary blew us a kiss goodbye.

I told myself for weeks and weeks afterwards that they had gone off to a better life, which they most certainly have. But after 6 weeks of being good and brave, I heard, Louis Armstrong's 'All the time in the world' on the radio. I just broke down and cried for hours and hours. This song had been to an advert for 'Guinness' that little Gary had loved the special effects to, it was all kind of space age, like a pretty version of 'The 5th element' street scene.
We have all the time in the world ~ Louis Armstrong:

We have all, the time in the world
Time enough for life
To unfold
All the prescious things
Love has in store

We have all the love in the world
If that's all we have
You will find
We need nothing more

Every step of the way
Will find us
With the cares of the world
Far behind us

We have all the time in the world
Just for love

With the cares of the world
Far behind us
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Silver wings ~ Merle Haggard:

Silver wings shinning in the sunlight,
roaring engines headed somewhere in flight.
Their taking you away, leaving me lonley,
silver wings slowly fading out of sight.
Don't leave me i cry, don't take that airplane ride.
But you locked me out of your mind. left me
standing here behind.
Silver wings shining in the sunlight,
roaring engines headed somewhere in flight.
Their taking you away, leaving me lonley.
silver wings slowley fading out of sight.
Silver wings shining in the sunlight,
roaring engines headed somewhere in flight,
their taking you away. Leaving me lonley.
Silver wings slowley fading out of sight.
Slowley fading out of sight.

*******************************************

How to avoid getting sworn at.

by Kettleman

1) DO NOT stand at the top of an escalator or staircase when exiting an Underground station. Move to the side and let the 1 million other users have some space.
2) Don't spit in the street, We don't so why should you?
3) Put your used burger wrappers and drinks cartons in the bins not on the ground or your bag until you see a trash can.
4) Try not to use phone boxes as public toilets.
5) In the underground follow the signs to and from the entrances and exits. Don't walk in to where it says NO EXIT and walk on the left if it says to "keep left", and right when it says "keep right"
6) Wait your turn to board a subway train, don't just push to the front.
7) Learning to say "Please", "Thank You" and "Excuse Me" will help.
8) The seats on trains and buses are for butts not your feet.

To sum up. Think what you gets you irritated about in your home city and don't do it in ours.

Any umbrellas?

by TheLongTone

Assembling a suitable packing list of clothing for England is a nightmare. It's that notorious British weather. It's not quite four seasons in one day, but you could be sweltering in a T-shirt one day and shivering in two jumpers the next. And of course the rain. layering up is the only way to limit bag size.

Not that it matters that much because if you desperately need something you'll be able to buy it. London has several shops.

There seems to be a lot of talk of umbrellas Just say 'No'. Certainly don't pack one: they're readily available. (Try J. Smith at 53 New Oxford street, who have been selling them for over 150 years) As a Londoner, I loathe brollies because of the constant hazard of getting your eye poked out by the damn things. And they don't keep you that dry, either. If you need to be out in the rain for a while, (say you're having a nice day at the seaside) a lightweight hooded top is much more useful. Otherwise, make a mad dash for it or wait until the rain stops. Which may not be long.... ummm, VT formatting can be a problem. Elastoplast for those umbrella-produced facial gashes??

The rain raineth alike
On the just and unjust fella
But more upon the the just,
For the unjust has stolen the just's umbrella

Comments