Novotel London St Pancras

Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 52% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• peerplus's Profile Photo

Don't!

The standard rooms in this hotel have a rack rate of £ 290 so you would expect a high standard. Alas, this centrally located hotel fails to deliver on a number of issues:

First of all: charging guests € 10 per 24 hours for a wobbly internet connection is ridiculous. Especially in a high-priced business hotel. Then, when you have paid the fee you are connected to a french provider who emails you your log-on name and password. If you are dumb enough - like me - to assume that you can then log on the net without problems for the next 24 hours you are wrong. You need to enter your name and password repeatedly every time you get thrown off the net, because the connection is really bad, only you can't because the bloody log-on name and password are in your email which you cannot access, because you don't have the codes!

A wonderful Catch-22 which can only be solved by copying and pasting the codes to a word-document which you then have to save on your computer. A brief instruction on this would have been nice to say the least.

When I complained to the reception they connected me to the french provider's "help"-line where someone in Paris or Pakistan who hardly spoke english tried to assist me. Nothing worked, however, so I gave up and paid once more for the same service that I had already paid for.

The bathroom could have played an important part in a Stanley and Laurel movie. There is a huge showerhead, a smaller one attached to the wall, and also a faucet over the bathtub - but only two knobs that you can turn in two directions with nothing to indicate what does what. Being very nearsighted I fumbled around until I was absolutely drenched in ice-cold water. And because the small shelf for the soap and shampoo is situated just below the huge showerhead I hit my head badly on the damn thing when I reached for the soap. I never managed to get a decent bath, but would have been a hands-down winner of any edition of America's Funniest Home Videos, had someone been around with a camera.

Charging £ 15.95 for breakfast is a laugh - especially considering the quality of the food.

The walls between rooms and quite thin. I got a vivid impression of the sex-life of my neighbors the first night.

The view sucked: a back yard with little to recommend it.

When it was time to leave, I wanted the print my boarding card for my flight home. In other hotels this is something that you can do for free in the lobby. Not at Novotel. You have to use their "business centre" which is a 2 square meter glass cage with two computers in it, one of which actually worked. Again, you have to pay for internet access. In this case £ 3. I managed to get on-line, but when it was time to print the boarding pass it turned out that the printer did not work. Some one from reception came along and fed it with the missing paper, but that did not solve the basic problem: the computer cannot download pdf-files because it has not been configurated to do so. I solved that problem by converting the pdf-file to a word-document, only to find that the printer was out of ink. Off to the reception again for more help. They suggested that I email my boarding card to them at the front desk, and then they would print it out when they had the time.

That's when I gave up. A process which should only take a couple of minutes had taken 45 minutes by then. Life is too short for such idiocy.

I went next door to the huge library. Inside they had literally dozens of computers, many with internet access. I asked a librarian if I could maybe print my boarding pass from one of them, adding that I would gladly pay for the service. I got a flat "no". I went to Heathrow and found my place in the long queue among all the others who had not been able to print their pass before they got to the airport.

London is wonderful, accomodation is expensive, and if you are tired of London you are tired of life, but a stay at the Novotel can be testing. I was there for business purposes but could not help thinking of those who pay for a stay there out of their own pocket. I think I would have been really frustrated thinking about all that money spent on a hotel that simply does not live up to the high rates that they charge from their customers.

Unique Quality: They have a panorama elevator with a view of the street and city that goes up to the 12th floor. Great fun if you are staying on the 4th with a view to the yard.

• MiteMsispe's Profile Photo

Lovely modern hotel nicely located.

Lovely hotel so close to three transportation stations. It is within blocks of St. Pancras, Kings Cross, and Euston stations. A very modern, comfortable hotel with a fantastically fast forward designed bathroom. We were there in late 2004 and got such a deal going through Priceline. This was really quite possibly the only bargain that we got in London because it is such an expensive city. It is located across the street from a city library where terribly old, historic books are housed.

Unique Quality: Modern amenities and a first class hotel with above average service.

Directions: Euston, St. Pancras area.

• Deise05's Profile Photo

Great Place to stay!

I recommend this place and if I go back to London I will definitely stay here again. Very nice place, staff and location. Two blocks away from a big subway station, a lot's of bars and restaurants around. Everything went really smooth; the rooms were ready, the staff was ready to answer any question related to the stay or give directions and information about tourist attractions.

• vtnyc's Profile Photo

Eustons Novotel: Modern

Front Desk was efficient and courteous. There are three elevators in the building and the second has a panaromic view of London. Once I got to my room, I inserted my card into the slot to turn the lights on. The room was huge. It had a separate living room area with its own tv, a huge and clean closet area, and a safe with the usual programmable 4 digit code on it. The bathroom speakers broadcasted whatever channel you were tuned into on the tv, the bathroom had a special humid free mirror, as well as a mobile magnified mirror for shaving. The bedroom was clean too. Overall, a great experience in a modern setting.

A great bar area for having drinks with friends, which I did at a reasonable cost as well.

Unique Quality: Two Tube stations were both within a 5-10 minute walking distance.

One Tube stop from Camden Town for some eccentric shopping.

Directions: Euston Street, North Central London

• SaraM19762001's Profile Photo

Terrific Place to stay

I arrived at the Novotel late. because of a change in flight and the wonderful staff didn't mind and held on to my room and were very accomidating when I arrived at 12:30 AM. I absolutely loved this place and pray I can stay there again. Rooms were very modern, clean and very very nice.Beautiful bathroom. In a great location though, streets could be noisy. Had a terrific English fry up in the restaurant one morning and a drink in the bar one evening. Hotel is close to Kings Cross station and there's lots to do nearby. British Library across street. You got a free paper every morning and there was an ice machine on each floor. This hotel was amazing. I really can't stay enough. I stayed at this hotel as part of my Cosmos trip to Europe. If you have any questions about this hotel or Cosmos Vacations, please email me and let me know. My email is SaraM1976@aol.com Thanks!

• pourparafor's Profile Photo

Great location-great Hotel

I would move here if i could. I asked for a room with a view and they gave me one on the top 16th floor with a view of central London.

Unique Quality: Great view. The dinner buffet was the best I have ever had. Novotel is a five minute walk from both Euston Underground Stationand King's Cross Train Station. Novotel Lonon Euston is next door to The british Library

Directions: on Euston Road between Kings Cross Station and Euston Station

More about Novotel London St Pancras

Comfortable and Convenient

I regularly travel to London on business and rarely spend much time in the hotel room. Normally I stay at The Caesar since the prices are so low and it is definitely a bargain for London. This past April I spent a little more money and stayed at the Novotel Euston - it was a great experience. The staff were very friendly, I ate dinner in the restaurant and had the breakfast buffet every morning and it was very tasty. The hotel is clean, seems safe and not far from the City, a short walk to the tube. I was in a room with a comfortable single bed, the bathroom was spacious and clean. The gym is also pleasant with a view over the neighborhood and sun deck (whatever sun there is in London). The walls are not completely sound-proof so I could hear my neighbors at times but overall it was a very good experience. Their wake-up call service needs improvement (they missed 2 wake-up calls) so I suggest using an alternative method like the TV alarm. I've stayed all over London and this was definitely worth the expedia price.

Nice place, bring earplugs

I stayed 5 nights in 2 rooms at the Novotel Euston with my family on vacation. We took a double and a triple, booked online for 99 GBP per room per night including breakfast. Considering London hotel prices this summer, that's a pretty good deal. The rooms were reasonably spacious and nicely appointed. There were a few issues on check-in: 1: The a/c in the triple (a queen with sleeper sofa) didn't work. The staff's response to this issue was polite but not very helpful, as I was asked to fiddle with the thermostat. After a few more complaints, someone told me that the a/c in that room didn't work and wouldn't be fixed, so we were moved to another room, with a great view on the 14th floor. 2: The sleeper sofa in the 14th floor room was broken, but one complaint and it was fixed (or replaced?) promptly.

My chief complaint, however, is noise. Euston road is busy day and night, and even with the windows closed, it still sounds like they're open. Several nights, we could even hear (loud) conversations in the street from the 14th floor, at 2 in the morning. There's a lot of sirens, too. They need double-paning on those windows...or something. Bring earplugs if you want a good night's sleep.

The glass bathrooms are odd, and not terribly functional. As other reviewers have noted, you have to carefully close and/or position the shower doors and panels to avoid a flood, which is probably why the bathrooms have floor drains. But there's plenty of water pressure, and the shower itself felt great.

The staff was generally friendly, although sometimes their command of English wasn't the best (many are foreign-born, it seems). The English breakfast buffet was full-on, lots of choices and very tasty.

One other caveat if you're from the US: On checkout, without asking me, they did me a "favor", and ran the transaction though my credit card in US Dollars, at a less-than favorable exchange rate (3%). If you're smart, you're using a card that only charges 1%, and you're better off having them process the transaction in pounds. Unfortunately I didn't notice until after we'd left (it was early in the AM). I believe that if you see this before you sign, you can request that they process the bill in GBP, and refuse to sign until they do. Otherwise, if you're like me, you've just given the hotel a $50 tip.

Great Hotel; OK Location

by TripAdvisor Member ggossard

Stayed here with my girlfriend in December and had a great stay. The upsides were nice staff, big room(for london), nice furnishings, warm comfortable bed, decent rate, and proximity to the tube. Downsides were things of interest within walking distance, lack of activity at night, and small bathrooms. I recommend if you are not afraid to use public transportation to get to the sights and excitement

Good Location & Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member supersta

Stayed here a couple of times in December 2004 and Jan 2005. On both Occasions we were pleasantly suprised at the quality of the rooms and service. The rooms were clean and newly decorated, bathroom was also very clean and modern.

Overall a good value hotel, great location between KK and Euston.

Good location, nice modern clean room, good view

by TripAdvisor Member londontraveller0

This hotel is very nice if you get a deluxe room on one of the upper floors - the views over London are great. The location of the hotel is excellent if you have business in Bloomsbury or wish to visit the various academic institutions.

The bed was very comfortable and the room bright and, most importantly, very clean. One exception to this is the light coloured carpet, which shows up an array of stains! Another picky criticism is the awful quality of TV reception (with little choice of channels) - a four-star business hotel should be doing better!! As usual, room service is exorbitantly overpriced but a Marks and Spencer food store is located very near at Euston Station.

The price of the hotel rooms are average for a nice 4 star hotel, however, don't pay the rack rates.

Hairdresser near Novotel St Pancras Euston Road, London

by FlossyGirl

Hello, can anyone recommend a hairdresser around Euston Road, London as I will need to have a colour when visiting London. Many thanks.

Re: Hairdresser near Novotel St Pancras Euston Road, London

by wise23girl

Well if you want to tube it to Bayswater there is Jon. salonW2@HQhair.com

(looks like an email address) I last went there 2007 but he had been there for a long time. Just checked my diary. There were 2 tube stations near salon

HQ Hair.

020 7229 0563 2836

He is relatively young well not ancient and can give you mod or more sedate.

Price reasonable for London

One time I looked at prices in Oxford Street or somewhere there and ran back to my hotel and put in rollers!

Maybe a bit far but just in case for what it is worth. Marg

Comments