Novotel London St Pancras

peerplus's Profile Photo

Don't!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 25, 2011

The standard rooms in this hotel have a rack rate of £ 290 so you would expect a high standard. Alas, this centrally located hotel fails to deliver on a number of issues:

First of all: charging guests € 10 per 24 hours for a wobbly internet connection is ridiculous. Especially in a high-priced business hotel. Then, when you have paid the fee you are connected to a french provider who emails you your log-on name and password. If you are dumb enough - like me - to assume that you can then log on the net without problems for the next 24 hours you are wrong. You need to enter your name and password repeatedly every time you get thrown off the net, because the connection is really bad, only you can't because the bloody log-on name and password are in your email which you cannot access, because you don't have the codes!

A wonderful Catch-22 which can only be solved by copying and pasting the codes to a word-document which you then have to save on your computer. A brief instruction on this would have been nice to say the least.

When I complained to the reception they connected me to the french provider's "help"-line where someone in Paris or Pakistan who hardly spoke english tried to assist me. Nothing worked, however, so I gave up and paid once more for the same service that I had already paid for.

The bathroom could have played an important part in a Stanley and Laurel movie. There is a huge showerhead, a smaller one attached to the wall, and also a faucet over the bathtub - but only two knobs that you can turn in two directions with nothing to indicate what does what. Being very nearsighted I fumbled around until I was absolutely drenched in ice-cold water. And because the small shelf for the soap and shampoo is situated just below the huge showerhead I hit my head badly on the damn thing when I reached for the soap. I never managed to get a decent bath, but would have been a hands-down winner of any edition of America's Funniest Home Videos, had someone been around with a camera.

Charging £ 15.95 for breakfast is a laugh - especially considering the quality of the food.

The walls between rooms and quite thin. I got a vivid impression of the sex-life of my neighbors the first night.

The view sucked: a back yard with little to recommend it.

When it was time to leave, I wanted the print my boarding card for my flight home. In other hotels this is something that you can do for free in the lobby. Not at Novotel. You have to use their "business centre" which is a 2 square meter glass cage with two computers in it, one of which actually worked. Again, you have to pay for internet access. In this case £ 3. I managed to get on-line, but when it was time to print the boarding pass it turned out that the printer did not work. Some one from reception came along and fed it with the missing paper, but that did not solve the basic problem: the computer cannot download pdf-files because it has not been configurated to do so. I solved that problem by converting the pdf-file to a word-document, only to find that the printer was out of ink. Off to the reception again for more help. They suggested that I email my boarding card to them at the front desk, and then they would print it out when they had the time.

That's when I gave up. A process which should only take a couple of minutes had taken 45 minutes by then. Life is too short for such idiocy.

I went next door to the huge library. Inside they had literally dozens of computers, many with internet access. I asked a librarian if I could maybe print my boarding pass from one of them, adding that I would gladly pay for the service. I got a flat "no". I went to Heathrow and found my place in the long queue among all the others who had not been able to print their pass before they got to the airport.

London is wonderful, accomodation is expensive, and if you are tired of London you are tired of life, but a stay at the Novotel can be testing. I was there for business purposes but could not help thinking of those who pay for a stay there out of their own pocket. I think I would have been really frustrated thinking about all that money spent on a hotel that simply does not live up to the high rates that they charge from their customers.

Unique Quality: They have a panorama elevator with a view of the street and city that goes up to the 12th floor. Great fun if you are staying on the 4th with a view to the yard.

MiteMsispe's Profile Photo

Lovely modern hotel nicely located.

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 10, 2008

Lovely hotel so close to three transportation stations. It is within blocks of St. Pancras, Kings Cross, and Euston stations. A very modern, comfortable hotel with a fantastically fast forward designed bathroom. We were there in late 2004 and got such a deal going through Priceline. This was really quite possibly the only bargain that we got in London because it is such an expensive city. It is located across the street from a city library where terribly old, historic books are housed.

Unique Quality: Modern amenities and a first class hotel with above average service.

Directions: Euston, St. Pancras area.

Deise05's Profile Photo

Great Place to stay!

by written on June 6, 2006

I recommend this place and if I go back to London I will definitely stay here again. Very nice place, staff and location. Two blocks away from a big subway station, a lot's of bars and restaurants around. Everything went really smooth; the rooms were ready, the staff was ready to answer any question related to the stay or give directions and information about tourist attractions.

vtnyc's Profile Photo

Eustons Novotel: Modern

by written on May 24, 2006

Front Desk was efficient and courteous. There are three elevators in the building and the second has a panaromic view of London. Once I got to my room, I inserted my card into the slot to turn the lights on. The room was huge. It had a separate living room area with its own tv, a huge and clean closet area, and a safe with the usual programmable 4 digit code on it. The bathroom speakers broadcasted whatever channel you were tuned into on the tv, the bathroom had a special humid free mirror, as well as a mobile magnified mirror for shaving. The bedroom was clean too. Overall, a great experience in a modern setting.

A great bar area for having drinks with friends, which I did at a reasonable cost as well.

Unique Quality: Two Tube stations were both within a 5-10 minute walking distance.

One Tube stop from Camden Town for some eccentric shopping.

Directions: Euston Street, North Central London

SaraM19762001's Profile Photo

Terrific Place to stay

by written on February 12, 2006

I arrived at the Novotel late. because of a change in flight and the wonderful staff didn't mind and held on to my room and were very accomidating when I arrived at 12:30 AM. I absolutely loved this place and pray I can stay there again. Rooms were very modern, clean and very very nice.Beautiful bathroom. In a great location though, streets could be noisy. Had a terrific English fry up in the restaurant one morning and a drink in the bar one evening. Hotel is close to Kings Cross station and there's lots to do nearby. British Library across street. You got a free paper every morning and there was an ice machine on each floor. This hotel was amazing. I really can't stay enough. I stayed at this hotel as part of my Cosmos trip to Europe. If you have any questions about this hotel or Cosmos Vacations, please email me and let me know. My email is SaraM1976@aol.com Thanks!

pourparafor's Profile Photo

Great location-great Hotel

by written on August 23, 2004

I would move here if i could. I asked for a room with a view and they gave me one on the top 16th floor with a view of central London.

Unique Quality: Great view. The dinner buffet was the best I have ever had. Novotel is a five minute walk from both Euston Underground Stationand King's Cross Train Station. Novotel Lonon Euston is next door to The british Library

Directions: on Euston Road between Kings Cross Station and Euston Station

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Piccadilly
Trafalgar Square
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Department stores
Driving in London
Souvenirs
Shopping
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Train / Bus Stations
Airports
Music, video, DVD's etc.
Arts and Entertainment
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Architectural
The Thames
Galileo's Locanda Toscana
Miracles, Cockfosters
Restaurants
Theatre and Shows (including tickets)
Piccadilly