Olympia Rooms

EasyToBook.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about London

SignageSignage

Adam, our guideAdam, our guide

PlaquePlaque

Royal Family in WaxRoyal Family in Wax

Bed&Breakfast in London

by axunada

I'm looking for a bed & breakfast (preferably close to the nightlife scene). I'd like to have an "English" feel for my vacation, as opposed to staying in a hotel chain, but a hostel is out of the question.

Or an apartment would be okay too, I think. Where can I find more information/book my stay?

by leics

You can find all appropriate accommodation listed on the official London tourist information website:

It has a useful search engine allowing you to search by location, landmark etc as well as by accommodation type.

I'm not sure there is a specific area for nightlife as such. London is huge, and central London has clubs, pubs and restaurants everywhere. Transport is pretty easy (Tube and/or bus) so I'd suggest you just find somewhere which suits as central as you can get.

As for an 'English' feel......not sure what that is, really. London is in no way representative of England. Bed & breakfast places are usually good options for the sort of 'feel' I think you mean but they are very few and far between in London. You will find some on the link above (although many will just be hotels which do not offer evening meals), as well as apartments, hotels and hostels.

If you find somewhere which appeals, do google its name + 'reviews' before booking!

by alanisphoenix

Hello, you can go to the GENERATOR,
is close to the British Museum, Oxford Street.. and you can find so many shops, monuments and bars around. Is always my first choice when i went to London. The hostel instead has a bar with music, nice prices and open till 2:00am (not sure about the hour) breakfats is included (toast, corn flackes coffee, chocolate..) and the have a sitting room, with a microwave if you want to "cook" something for dinner..
just have a look..
www.generatorhostels.com

alanis

by angelaturkey

The loveliest luxury true English bed and breakfast places in London and also around the rest of England are on the Wolsey Lodges website, often owned by Lords and Ladies or ex-actresses or actors or similar who wish to rent out a room or two in their own homes. Very interesting, character properties and not at all expensive, strangely enough. Lots of history to each one of them and they are individually vetted by the Wolsey Lodges management each year before being accepted. Google them ...

by christine.j

Twice this year I've stayed in the Westland Hotel on Bayswater Road. It's not a B&B, but a hotel. It has an "English" feel, as all the staff I've met there have been English. In many other hotels in London you can practise your German,French or Italian etc when asking a question.

VT member Trekki was lucky last year and found a B&B in Chiswick. Have a look at her Londonpage for details. However, when I tried to book there this year, I never got an answer, so I don't know if she is still in business.

Travel Tips for London

When I visited London last...

by vela_candela

When I visited London last year I made a list of places that are a must, sadly I don't have pictures but they are all well known there! When arriving in London try to get the latest TIME OUT magazine where you can find info about the city: exhibitions, movies, theatre and everyhing you might want to know about the city.

The list is the following:

WEST LONDON
National Gallery, Nelson's Columns, Convert Garden Piazza, Photographer's Gallery, Picadilly Circus, Buckingham Palace.

CENTRAL LONDON
Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Tate Britain, Royal College of Art, Science Museum, British Museum, St. Paul's Cathedral, Tate Modern (better at 10 am when they open, since you can hear the engines starting),
Millenium Bridge, London Bridge, London Eye, Parliament

EAST LONDON
Design Museum

NORTH LONDON
Camden Town, Oxford Street

I remember I also visited the Imax theatre next to the Waterloo train station, but that's is an
experience if you have more time to do it.

Covent garden, July 2002

by bakpakchik

Miguel was at my disposal for one day in London as an IOU for me having shown him around Dubai when he got stranded in the city flying Bangkok to London via Dubai. If this photo looks like we had fun, we had twice as much!

We went on a walking tour of central London. I discovered the drawbacks of overstuffing my backpack. And that of having worn my Nine West boots. Fifteen minutes later, my feet were ready to fall off. I tossed
my boots into my back pack and put on a pair of rainbow striped flip-flops that came free with a copy of 19 magazine I had bought in the morning. Smart? As I put my feet into the sandals, I discovered that I couldn't walk. They were joined by a nylon string thing. I tried snapping it, but you know how nylon is. I also tried chewing through it with my teeth. A nice old gentleman stopped to look at me and asked what this young lady was doing chewing on her sandals. Miguel explained. The gentleman pulled out a pocket knife and I didn't have to chew my sandals anymore. Hehehe.

Millenium Bridge

by Mariajoy

Looking back from the Tate Modern towards St Pauls, the Millenium Bridge was London's first new pedestrian Thames crossing in 100 years!! Designed by Norman Foster and sculptor Anthony Caro the bridge was opened on 10 June 2000. It developed an obvious wobble after some 10,000 visitors walked across on the first day of opening but it was soon corrected and is now perfectly safe!

Read more about the Wobbly Bridge at the BBC news website. Fondest memory? Too many to list! What do I miss most when I am away? The sublime .... and the ridiculous and the unexpected.

Eat like the locals

by SaraM19762001

To enjoy your stay in the UK, try eating like the locals. Definately try fish and chips. Try a full English Breakfast. Drink a pint. I would also recommend trying bangers and mash as well as beans on toast. When in London....

William, where art thou from?...

by oja

William, where art thou from? Although Stratford on Avon is deemed to be THE Shakespeare-related place, I won't agree with it. What Shakespeare did in Stratford had nothing to do with his work and his greatness. Only in London did he discover his mission and created his incomparable treasures. In my opinion, the Bard himself would prefer me seeing the Globe theatre than his native village (from which he fled anyway ;-)) So: when in London, don't miss Shakespeare!

Comments