1 Aldwych, London, WC2B 4BZ, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Official Site

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

a good non-traditional modern quiet hotel

We hadn't planned on staying here. London was a stop-over on the way to Greece. We had booked The Strand Palace hotel on the Internet, mainly because of the location and the price. We checked in, spent 30 minutes there, hated it and left, sacrificing our first night's payment. There we were on The Strand with our suitcases.

The next hotel we passed was One Aldwych. After the horrible experience we had just left, the lobby looked like heaven. It was really expensive, but we probably would have paid twice the amount.

Service was excellent. The lady who checked us in came from behind the counter and personally led us to our room. The room was small, as per European convention, but suberbly furnished in modern style, spotlessly clean, had lots of high-tech gizmos, and a luxurious bathroom.

This hotel deserves its place in the Leading Hotels of the World.

Directions: On the corner of Aldwych and The Strand, close walking distance to all the West End attractions.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Five star luxury - 4 star price.

If there is one thing I can't stand about five star hotels is obsequious service. Thankfully at this place it is courteous and swift, and no more. I just hate some waiter worrying about the exact placing of a fork - as if it really matters in life.

This hotel has won numerous awards, partly for the service standards already mentioned and partly for the modern, minimalist design of the hotel.

I especially like the lobby and bar area, which occupies an imposing triangular site in the heart of theatreland.

Unique Quality: Several virtues to mention here :

The beds had some of the most comfortable bed lined I have ever come across - I found it difficult to get up in the morning.

The underground pool, whilst not very large is perfectly servicable, and a good place to chill out after a hard day's sightseeing.

The Location was excellent - saves loads on taxi fares to theatres and restaurants.

There are over 300 original works of art dotted around the hotel, including at least one in every guestroom.

In conclusion, an excellent hotel, although I was glad it wasn't me who was paying the bill.

Directions: The name of the hotel = the adresss.

Just off Strand opp. the Savoy.

• Christian.Lafont's Profile Photo

Central and very nice

Evrything went perfect especially as the reception offered an upgrade.

Reservation made on HotelDiscount.com

Unique Quality: Nice furniture, fantastic bed, large and convenient bathroom, internet connection, flat screen TV ... great gym club and very nice pool.

Next to Covent Garden, Leicester square and all the restaurant and bars.

A place to go back.

Directions: Next to Covent Garden

More about One Aldwych

Five star designer type hotel in London

by sourbugger about One Aldwych

This hotel has one numerous awards, partly for the service standards already mentioned and partly for the modern, minimalist design of the hotel.

The flat-iron, triangular shaped building was the former offices of a newspaper years ago, and is rumoured to be favoured by Madonna (the singer rather than the mother of Jesus), although she probably didn't have a standard room. Several virtues to mention here :

Z is for Zedding away on a great night's sleep

by sourbugger about One Aldwych Hotel, London, UK

Superb location and great place to relax

by TripAdvisor Member prussellp88

We stayed at One Aldwych for my partners birthday and was extremely impressed with all it has to offer. We upgraded to a suite that i must say is the best room that i have had the pleasure of staying in (in London). The view was a 180 degree of the Strand. We have also stayed at St Martins, The Sanderson and the Waldorf and One Aldwych comes out on top every time!!!

The only downfall during our stay was that the restaurant was closed so we decided to go to the Wolseley. We had a fantastic breakfast in our room the next morning and both left feeling like the cost (expensive) was fully justified and we would definately return!!.

Don't be fooled by the glamour, looks can be deceiving

by TripAdvisor Member Foodiepod

This weekend we visited the lobby bar at One Aldwych, on the recommendation of friends, for a few drinks, to celebrate a friends upcoming nuptials. We were only a small hen party (10) and we were definitely not boisterous or loud. The only thing that gave us away as a hen party was a few silly items we made the 'hen' wear.

The staff treated us so badly it was unbelieveable. They were pretentious, snooty, and condescending to us all bar one of the party. We were ushered from one area to the next, told we would not be seated as we were not hotel guests, and generally treated as if we were too common to be there.

Yes, the decor of the place was beautiful, the cocktails quite sublime, but at such high prices and they charge you 12.5% service charge (which was quite ironic being as we had to go to the bar and collect the drinks ourselves) - and then to receive such bad service.

The hotel may look classy, and I'm certain other elements are, but looking classy or trendy, and charging your customers extortionate price does not automatically equate to excellent service. I'm not certain their staff actually understand the term 'class' as if they had class they would not be treating people the way they did.

Sadly, this is not one venue I would rush to go back to, based on our experience.

Superb service

by TripAdvisor Member Tibbles

My partner and I stayed at One Aldwych for a long weekend - it was my treat to him because that weekend he was running the London marathon for the first time. I really hoped for a 5 star weekend but without the snotty, unfriendly and sometimes intimidating staff that come with 5* in London - and I think we got everything we wanted at One Aldwych.
The room we stayed in was one up from their standard (which I had read in reviews was very small - in fact when I phoned them they recommended that for a couple staying for more than one night, the standard rooms would probably be found to be small) and although it wasn't huge it served our needs perfectly. It was quiet, beautifully decorated and the bed was wonderfully comfortable - fabulous pillows as well! The bathroom was excellent - a separate power shower cubicle as well as bath - and a little TV too! However, the thing that really made it so special was the service - by every single member of staff we came across - they were all friendly, welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. I had told them that my partner was running in the marathon and that I was going to be out supporting him - so they showed me the umbrella in the wardrobe for guests use if it was raining and when I phoned down to ask if they had a map, virtually instantly they had pushed under the door an envelope in which was a tube map, a road map of central London AND they had photocopied a map of the route with all the best places to see the runners. When we got back to the hotel after the marathon (which was walking / hobbling distance from the finish line) we wanted to celebrate with a glass of champagne at the bar in the lobby but all the tables were reserved - they had some sort of a reception on as all the men were in DJ's and women were glammed up in evening dresses, and there we were with my partner still in his smelly running gear. But contrary to another review I read, the bar staff were great, they just moved one of the "Reserved" signs at a table by the bar & moved chairs round so that we could sit down. I honestly couldn't have asked for anything more from them. Superb (but it was pricey!)

Not very impressed

by TripAdvisor Member jlhc99

We stayed here in late February for a long weekend and were not impressed at all. The room we were given was tiny...barely enough room to walk around, and we had to put one suitcase on the chair and the other in the tiny closet just so we COULD walk around. This is a very modern hotel which does not bother me, however the light switches and control knobs in the room were rather confusing as to which did what. Forget the electronic key card system for entering our room...half the time it worked and the other times it did not....resulting in frequent trips back down to the lobby to get a new one made.
We also found the staff to be somewhat pretentious, and in a few cases down right rude. On our first night, a Friday, we were to meet friends in the Lobby Bar. This must be one of the hottest spots in London for trendy people to hang out as it was packed!! We waited for a small table to open up and upon preceeding to sit down, a very surly cocktail waitress told us it was "reserved". When I mentioned that we were hotel guests, she backed off and allowed us to sit. Needless to say, we were a bit annoyed with her attitude.
On a plus side, the location of this hotel is great...right next door to The Lyceum Theatre (The Lion King) and within a short walk to other theatres and Covent Garden. For the prices you pay to stay here however, we feel you can do much better in the area in terms of service and comfort. Just behind the One Aldwych is the Waldorf Hilton, whose prices are a tad cheaper and it looks just as nice.

Comments