Park Lane Sheraton Hotel

See Amenities
mikey_e's Profile Photo

Traditional comfort

by written on December 3, 2012

London is an expensive city. Nay, London is an insanely expensive city. That’s why it can sometimes be a bit daunting to find decent accommodation in the city. The Park Lane Hotel is certainly decent, and it retains some of that traditional stiff-upper-lip British luxury that makes you thankful everything is comfortable, even if it isn’t all that pretty. More than that, the renovations that the hotel has been undergoing for the past few years has also meant that it is a decently-priced hotel, although this will undoubtedly not last long (only until the renovations are over). The Park Lane is a short ten or fifteen minute walk from Piccadilly Circus and less than five minutes from Green Park subway stop (along the Piccadilly Line), but the rooms here are quiet and the streets are safe and clean. The entire hotel is remarkably clean, and everything works (in its own, quirky, British way – use a faucet and you’ll see what I mean). The beds are new and comfortable; the appliances sturdy and modern; and the staff is always exceptionally pleasant and helpful. I never had the opportunity to eat at the hotel, but they have a traditional tea room that serves the cakes and sandwiches for which the British are now famous; it doubles as a bar in the evening.

Unique Quality: The rooms at the Park Lane Hotel are its best attribute. They are clean and spacious, and allow in a considerable amount of natural light. Even those that have windows that look out onto the street are quiet, although the ones that give onto the back of the hotel are even quieter (but look out onto a Dickensian vista of densely packed homes).

A horrible experince

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 22, 2011

On my recent trip to the Uk, I stayed at the Sheraton Park Lane in London. My experience was extremely disappointing.I had to entertain some for a business meeting and decided to use the lobby area of the hotel. The lobby also serves afternoon tea for walk-in customers and hotel guests. I finished my lunch at the Citrus restaurant of the hotel and proceeded to the lobby to the lobby to wait for my guests. To my great surprise I was told that the the entire lobby is reserved for afternoon tea clients and rudely told I can go back and hold my meeting in the restaurant. I called for the manger (Mr Daniel Prersson) and explained my predicament. His response was that their tea room is ranked among the top ten in London. When I brought to his attention the fact that I am a paying guest in this hotel, and the lobby is part of the facilities I am entitled to use, with or without a booking, I was met with a blank stare. I was wondering if anyone has been through such a bizarre experience, and isn't it our right as hotel guests to have the option of using the lobby?

Djinn76's Profile Photo

Charming Old Hotel

by written on February 28, 2009

The address could be a bit misleading. It was simply mentioned Piccadilly. I candidly thought that meant Piccadilly Circus! I realized Piccadilly is quite a long street going up to Green Park and indeed the hotel is located over there not far from the Ritz.

As soon as I saw the building, I realized this hotel should have quite a bit of history! A bit weird, you first have to cross the lounge to reach the reception. Indeed there is another entrance as well on a back street.

By every details, you can feel this hotel has been classy in the past. It still is but it has faded a bit.
Mind you, I really enjoyed it, some comment on Tripadvisor suggested it was in need of an urgent refurbishment! Not exactly false but I would be afraid the hotel could loose its soul with such an operation...

The room (434) is not exactly big, nor to the latest standards, I found a bit weird finding an airco unit as a piece of furniture! However it's well organized and provide a cozy feeling! Even with the cold weather, the room temperature was comfortably high. This is not always the case!

The bed was comfortable enough to spend a good night. Being in front of a park, I could not say I've got a room with a view but I preferred it this way. If you want a view on the park, you will also have to live with the noise from the busy Piccadilly street.

The bathroom was indeed a very long room that could have indeed been a bit refreshed. Even so, I found it so old fashion's it became kind of charming!

Wireless connectivity was also provided by an external partner, you had to pay directly with a credit card...

Unique Quality: The breakfast was also quite original, there was a rather small continental buffet but for a small supplement you could order a full English breakfast... well, full, again, beans were missing!! I'll have to figure out why. It was served by such a British old women, charming!

Directions: In front of Green Park!

trvlrtom's Profile Photo

Good location and service

by written on July 28, 2008

We chose the Park Lane Hotel in order to use our points earned by using our credit card in the Starwood program. That is to say it didn't cost us money. That being said, we liked the hotel. We got a large room on the 8th (top) floor, which didn't have much of a view but was spacious and comfortable. But the furnishings seemed dated, and not quite worthy of the number of stars this hotel has.

You really can't beat the location. The hotel is on Piccadilly between the Green Park and Hyde Park underground stations, which was convenient for us because it is a direct line from Heathrow airport and access major tourist sites. On our first morning we walked across the street to Green Park and then to central Westminster, past Buckingham Palace, etc.

The ground floor has a pleasant lounge with some decent jazz music on weekend nights. We never ate at the hotel restaurant, opting instead to investigate the Shephard Market area just around the corner. There we found two reasonably priced places for breakfast, some good restaurants and two or three good, atmospheric pubs.

If not for our points, however, I don't know if we would have stayed here. It seems a bit above our budget. But for using points, it was great.

Take note that the entrance on Piccadilly is inconvenient if you arrive with luggage. The reception is oddly located at the entrance on the small street behind the hotel.

Unique Quality: Location

Grand Old Lady of the Piccadilly, is not on it!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 1, 2007

It's a grand old lady in a prime location near all the parks and Buckinham Palace. The age of the hotel gives an experience that is not what you're looking for in a luxury hotel. But as said, the location is so good and the rate often lower than Le Meridien on the same street, that it's worth considering.

The service was excellent all the way. Food is expensive, but surprise surprise the minibar prices were lowest in the city! Big 100g Toblerone only £2, that's fair price for a minibar!

Unique Quality: The rooms are in desperate need of renovation. Only some have been renovated recently. The public areas are somewhat nice though.

Directions: The main entrance is not on Piccadilly, but on a small back alley. It's easy if you come by taxi, but not so it by foot.

London's Best Location

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 4, 2007

Fab location. A stone's throw away from Piccadilly Circus, bus ride away from Regent street. If you love shopping you'd love the walking distance. Trafalgar Square is just down the road. Buckingham Palace is just around the corner. Park Lane where all the posh car show rooms are walking distance as well. Spoil yourself by booking for a test drive.

Staff were extremely friendly and kind. Vincent the Concierge guy is really really helpful. There's also a lovely Filipino housekeeping lady who is extremely helpful. The Italian restaurant Citrus has a very helpful manager as well. He'd help you with everything. I'm gluten intollerant and he was great at ensuring the chef knew what was going in my food.

Unique Quality: Great parking facilities round the back. They could do with brightening up the place a little as I did feel it was quite dark, Maybe it's me and my failing eyesight.

I absolutely love the old charm. I hate ultra modern hotels that seem so cold and stark.

The reception was a little confusing as it was at the other end of the hotel but the lovely jewellery made a difference to it all! They've got lovely gifts for sale thru the hotel.

Also if you're coming in after a hard day of shopping you'd really appreciate the beautiful artwork paintings, sculptures and all as the cab driver drops you off the piccadilly entrance.

Directions: You can't miss it! It's opposite Green Park Tube Station and there's a Sheraton flag flying outside.

Ritaroni's Profile Photo

Not Impressed in 1985

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 18, 2006

Stayed here in 1985 so really have no idea what this hotel is like now, but back then it was not impressive.

Directions: Piccadilly

If It's Free it's worth it....

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 6, 2004

We used starwood points for a free stay. Room was pretty good but the hotel is CLEARLY in need of refurbishment. Our room was better than most -- we heard a lot of complaints. (Check tripadvisor.com for more on this hotel). Staff was good, but front desk is not efficient (altho friendly and nice). If you have to pay the going rate ($300 up for a decent room), it is not worth it, except for the location. Skip the overpriced breakfast (unless it's included), and walk 2 blocks north to the "pret a manger" chain and get a self-serve good breakfast for a fraction of the cost. Lobby atr the hotel (Palm Court) is not welcoming -- beverages (and cigars) are served -- depending on clientele, it can be quite smoky. One elevator to guest rooms works -- usually not much of a wait but it seems odd in a four star hotel. LOCATION FABULOUS.

hayward68's Profile Photo

Sheraton Park Lane Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 25, 2002

A regular night cost around £300 , which we did not pay, we were lucky and got our suite for £100. This place is just down the steet from the Ritz.
There's a Big Bus Company tour stop across the street and down a bit, up beside the Ritz.

Unique Quality: This was a beautiful place. We would never have been able to afford it if my friend hadn't known someone who worked for Sheraton Hotels. The deal we got was unreal so we did it. Our lovely suite was fabulous and overlooked Green Park. The shower stalls had the rainfall shower heads and I didn't want to get out. My friend practically had a swim in the huge tub, all marble bathroom with that lovely invention - heated towel racks. The towelling robes which are supplied were much appreciated.
The location is fantastic, across from Green Park, a short stroll away from shopping in Picadilly and tons of restaurants.

Directions: across from Green Park, down the street from Green Park tube stop

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Portobello Road and Notting Hill
Public Buses
Taxis
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Driving in London
The Thames
London Dungeon
Money Matters
Warnings and Dangers
Public Transport (not taxis)
Parks and Gardens