Parkwood Hotel

4 Stanhope Place, Marble Arch, London, W2 2HB, United Kingdom

budgetplaces.com

• Good location, great value, friendly staff, clean

This is THE PLACE for frequent travelers who want location, location, location combined with value, value, value. The rooms are not large, (think inside stateroom on the Queen Mary 2) but certianly adequate and VERY CLEAN. The well-served and well-prepared breakfast is ample with moderate variety. There is no elevator to serve the upper floors, but I have always had assistance offered in delivering my luggage. The staff is most accommodating. The Parkwood Hotel is not for one who desires a large ornate lobby and elaborate decor, but if one wants well-cared for accommodations with moderate facilities...this is an excellent choice. I consider myself a "SAVVY" traveler as I travel for pleasure and am away from home about 200 days per year. Having stayed here for multiple periods of two to four weeks over the last five years, I cannot imagine staying elsewhere in London. I have recommended the Parkwood Hotel to many friends and will continue to do so with full confidence that they will be pleased with the accommodations provided, the services offered, the friendliness of the staff and the value they receive for the money thay have spent.

Unique Quality: While very close to Oxford Street and the Marble Arch area with the convenient tube station and fantastic access to the busses, this hotel is on a side street and is generally very quiet. Any noise that might disturb a guest would be the exception rather then the customary silent atmosphere of the street.

Directions: Just west of the Marble Arch, across Oxford Street. Near Marble Arch Tube Station and easy access to the multiple busses that pass by this area, going to all points of the city.

• Decent place, good location

After reading all the recs, I booked the Parkwood somewhat hesitantly. The staff was good about responding to emails prior to our trip. The hotel itself was ok, and clean. Certainly fine for a day or two stay, especially if you're going to be out on the town doing tourist stuff most of the time. Our room was on the 4th floor (walk-up) which was fine as we're able bodied, but it would be very difficult for some folks to climb if you have any physical challenges. Breakfast was included and was good. I'd stay there again.

• dixonchan's Profile Photo

Decent B&B

The Parkwood is a gracious small hotel 5 minutes' walk from busy, noisy Marble Arch. It is a world away in this quiet street which opens onto all the splendour of Hyde Park.
    The bedrooms have satellite television, radio-alarms and tea/coffee makers. Some rooms are non-smoking. Bathrooms are nice though a little old-fashioned, having tubs and hand-showers, not power showers.

Breakfast is provided and is a standard fare of Sausage, Ham, baked beans, tomatos, eggs, cereals, coffee, tea, juices.

The girls at the reception are friendly and helpful.

Unique Quality: Home-styled accomodation. You hold the key to the main door, so keep it dear.

Directions: Take Heathrow Express train straight into Paddington Station, leaves every 15minutes and costs £13. Children up to 15yrs are £6. From Paddington Station take a 5 minute taxi ride to the hotel - approximately £5

More about Parkwood Hotel

A Beautiful Stay in Parkwood Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SIGITA

We were very lucky to had the opportunity to stay in this hotel, Parkwood Hotel. The staff were very friendly and nice to us, especialy the receptionist Ida from Lithuania. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excelent and tasty. We would recomend to stay in this hotel for everyone, because of perfect location and condition of hotel and the very good price...

Loved the Parkwood Hotel and London

by TripAdvisor Member MarylandTravelgirls

My two daughters and I stayed at the Parkwood Hotel for five nights, we were welcomed warmly by the manager, we were in a very safe area and quaint. The room was large enough for us , we were out most of the day and found the location perfect for easy acess to the tube and London City. The room was very clean, which was paramount for us, and the bathroom as well. We found all rooms in Europe to be small and bathrooms also, these are old buildings this is not a four star hotel but a great reasonable alternative. Down the street was a grocer, pharmacy and laundry mat. Breakfast was traditional English with good coffee, service pleasant. They also have internet access which was very nice to have. We would stay here again, enjoy and feel comfortable with this selection. We stayed in room number four with a very large window which we kept open most of the time.

Great Hotel that fit my budget and clean!!!

by TripAdvisor Member TheItalianTraveller

What a great place to stay. The staff and manager were wonderfull. They answered all of our questions when we had to inquire about restaurants, attractions, directions etc..
The free internet was great as well. We loved the area as we felt safe and clean, the hotel is also a 1 min walk to Hyde Park. We were very close to great shopping and outdoor patio restaurants. The breakfast included with the room was fantastic. This place fit our budget and let us really enjoy London. I will return someday and will most likely stay at the Parkwood Hotel again.
Thank you for a great stay.

An Absolute Gem of a Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member katrinaMCanada

I stayed at the Parkwood hotel for 10 days in February. I wish I could have stayed longer. It was absolutely lovely.
I do not know how ANYBODY could have a problem with this hotel!
The room was immaculate, the views from either side of the hotel were amazing, the location could not be beat (I figured this out quickly, but was also reminded of this by any taxi driver that dropped me off during my trip), the staff were the friendliest I have encountered. What more can I say about this place? I have traveled Europe extensively and have never been to a hotel like this. The staff bent over backwards to make sure I was happy!!!
Truly, I could rave on for hours about The Parkwood.
The rooms are on the smaller side, yes (it's a converted townhouse). And the absence of a lift was only a small nuisance(reception offered to have someone bring my bags up for me!). But, if you want to actually experience where you are staying in the world, don't stay in a Holiday Inn!!! This is a European Hotel. It is beautiful. I have recommended it to friends and family and will definitely be coming back.

A little tip to those of you who will be taking taxis during your trip, take one of the little maps that are provided at reception, the hotel is tucked away in a residential area, so it can be hard for the drivers to find. (It is about a 2-5 minute walk from the Marble arch tube station and incredibly easy to find on foot, so no worries there, I promise)

I can't say enough about The Parkwood. Go stay and see for yourself. It is an absolute GEM.

First rate service, cool accomodations...

by TripAdvisor Member spasternak

I took at trip to London with my mom and stayed at Parkwood Hotel. It was an excellent experience.

As an American travelling to England with my mom, I was hoping the experience would be as smooth as possible... Indeed, staying at the Parkwood Hotel was a very smooth experience. I will divide the review in three categories as shown:

CUSTOMER SERVICE:
Prior to my arrival, I emailed the Hotel Staff with two questions on seperate occasions. My emails were answered almost immediately, in fact, one was answered in minutes. The website answered all of our other questions.

We arrived very early, and the hotel staff greeted us and allowed us to leave our luggage in their office until check-in time.

Since this is the first time I stayed at a bed and breakfast, I really was impressed how much this was like a "home away from home." For example, if you need to use a microwave, you simply go to the kitchen and do so. If you want more tea, you can go take it from the kitchen. While the staff seemed more than happy to do everything asked, it is nice to have the ability to get things on our own.

There is a Full English breakfast served daily at the Parkwood. It consisted of beans, tomatoes, sausage, bacon, eggs (any way you like), and toast, coffee, tea, cerial, and a varity of juices. The staff kept offering us food until we indicated that we were full. I must say that after a random sampling of restaurants up and down Edgeware Rd., the Full English Breakfast at the Parkwood was among the best food we enjoyed in England.

Upon leaving the hotel, we actually forgot to turn in our room keys. We called the hotel and they were quite understanding and simply asked us to mail them back at our convenience (as they would change the keys until then).

LOCATION:
The hotel is about 2 blocks form the Marble Arch Underground station. There are bus stops within 1 block. Much shopping can be done nearby as the hotel is near Edgeware Road and Oxford Street. Very useful to us was the Sainsbury's Local on the corner of Edgeware Rd and Oxford Street (This location has a FREE ATM (no surcharge from the owner) on the outside of the building). We used this ATM exclusively to obtain Pounds - which we found to be a very cheap way to convert dollars to pounds. The second most useful place just down the Oxford Street is Boots, a full service pharmacy and drugstore... There is also a Carphone Warehouse near the corner of Edgeware Rd and Oxford St.). The Parkwood Hotel is located just outside the zone in Central London where the Congestion Fee is in effect, though parking might be difficult near the hotel (we did not use a car in London).

Just down the street from the Hotel is the northeast corner of Hyde Park.

THE PROPERTY:
The Hotel is a converted house that has all the outward appearance of the one seen on BBC Drama "Upstairs, Downstairs". The exterior is clean and appears to be well maintained.

Inside, it is filled with old-world charm and is well maintained for it's age. You must keep in mind that you are staying in a very old converted residence, not some specially designed luxury hotel.

The rooms are smallish (most with their own bathrooms). Our room, number 12, had a telephone (which one paid for each use), safe (costing 2 GBP per day on the honour system), trouser press, electric kettle, television, alarm clock, and two beds. There was one window which functioned well and opened onto Stanhope Place.

Our bathroom in room 12 had a shower, toilet, and sink. The facilities were clean and in working order.

Electricity was available in the room by two switched BS-1363 sockets as well as a plug in the bathroom mirror (which had a 120/240 V switch on it). All were in working order.

The halls are decorated with some period paintings and other art. There is no lift, so you must walk up and down the stairs. I really recommend that you have have trouble with stairs, you talk to the hotel staff before arrival so that they can help you make your reservations, they genuinely seem to want to make everyone happy. Our room was up 5 flights of carpeted stairs which got steeper as you ascended.

I explored the building and looked around in the kitchen after hours. There were no bugs of any kind seen.

I would stay at the Parkwood Hotel on my next visit. It is a true piece of history and a welcoming place for people wanting experience a real English bed and breakfast.

friendly value for your pound

by TripAdvisor Member keithfordmustang

stayed 2 weeks and I had to give plenty of warnings to secure the extra days as the hotel fills up quickly. I stayed while on buisness then went to manchester and came back and stayed another 3 nights. The rate was £35 with full English perfectly cooked breakfast and I should know as I have owned 12 food establisments and traveled the world being also in the fashion industry. I stay in hotels up to 10 times per year for the last 37 years. this hotel is a quick walk to Marbel Arch tube very safe area as this is where Tony Blair is thinking of living, and Madona lives 2 blocks away. A lovely Welsh woman and her daughter look after the place and are always extreamly helpful giving it a family feel which spreads through all the staff. I am writing this because I heard that someone changed their mind about staying at the Parkwood and threatend if they couldent get their money back they would right a bad reveiw to this web site, to me this person is just an angry person in general and wants to cheat the system regarding reservations. you will enjoy your stay as I am always in the reception on the computer when people are booking out(free use) enjoy your stay next time I will bring my wife
Keith Ford (living in Asia)

How Nice!

by TripAdvisor Member fortuner

I stayed here for 5 nights from January 4th 2007. This is the best cheaper end of the market hotel I've stayed in since I stopped living in the UK, and thank god as I've stayed in a few awful places. Yes, it has no lift, the alarm clock/radio in the room didn't work, the TV remote wasn't working properly and the decoration could be better but none of these really bothered me that much enough that I wouldn't want to stay here again. I'm really glad I stayed here and with the always happy/smiling ladies serving you the morning breakfast etc. it added a lovely atmosphere, which unfortunately I couldn't add to not being a very good morning person... :-|
An old converted building that was probably built for wealthy families in mind who could afford live in cleaners/cooks/servants etc. now being used as a hotel, though some might like to call it a 'Bed & Breakfast' but whatever, it's now a favorite of mine... for the time being at least.

Doudtful

by TripAdvisor Member BryanSweden

We used Tripadvisor to choose this hotel near Marble Arch and were impressed by previous reviews - but, has ownership changed because we did not recognise all the positive details or the AA three star rating since we got a room in the basement.
Location - good. Breakfast - good - but it always felt a bit early to be chased from the breakfast room by the laying of tables and the covering with cloths before 9 a.m.
We spent the entire week trying to convince the reception that is was usual for each guest to have one hand towel and one bath towel. Rooms run down and do not compare to the pictures and reviews that we read.
We = my daughter and granddaughter, my wife and myself will not be staying there again

Bryan Manktelow, Sweden