Peckham Lodge

Peckham Lodge
Booking.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about London

Hay's Galleria, Southwark, London, UK.Hay's Galleria, Southwark, London, UK.

Abokabo - Euson StationAbokabo - Euson Station

Harrods.Harrods.

The Novello Theatre in LondonThe Novello Theatre in London

Portobello Road Market: I need your help!

by metropolis

What the best day to visit the famous Portobello Road Market: Friday or Saturday?

I know that Friday is the official day of the market but won't it be too crowded?

I'd like to have lunch (fish & chips) at the famous George's Portobello Fish Bar: is it possible to get a table on Saturday? I know they don't take reservations.

Any other places in the area I should visit?

Thanks in advance, guys!

by metropolis

I meant to say 'SATURDAY is the official day of the market'

by tango_jd

Fish and Chips at a TABLE???

Nay lad! You eat them out of the paper while strolling or sitting on a park bench! LOL

Bookmark - I want to know the best days too!

by angiebabe

sounds like either Friday or Saturday - my copy of the London planner says Friday is the day for unique vintage fashion otherwise antiques Monday to Satureday - so maybe Friday is a good overall day to go - generally Saturdays are busier than Fridays with a large percentage of the workforce being mon to friday and also kids at school

by metropolis

«Nay lad! You eat them out of the paper while strolling or sitting on a park bench!»

lol Yes, but we'll be doing a lot of walking that day, so we'll need some place to rest our tired feet. :)

by Dabs

I'm not sure where you got Friday as the big day from but every time I've been Saturday is the big day at Portobello for the market part, the shops along Portobello Road are open 6 days a week. It is extremely crowded on Saturdays especially in the heavy tourist months. If you go during the week, the shops are open but the street market part is not there

If you like markets, I'd also suggest Camden Locks, it is also at it's busiest on the weekend but unlike Portobello it is open on Sunday

by Dabs

Sorry, didn't see your post below the original correcting it to Saturday, scrolled right past it!

Now that I'm looking a little further, it appears that there is a secondhand market on Friday, Angie, if you've been on Friday, is it just the section at the far end that is closer to Ladbroke Grove? I assume they don't also close the street on Friday like they do on Saturday.

by swissfondue

I've experienced Portabello Road Market on a Saturday but I didnt get there until around 2.30pm as I went to Camden Markets beforehand. Portabello was still busy in spots though not overly crowded. I had expected the market to be winding up but it was still in full swing so maybe going later in the day would suit you better.

by jo104

I am helping a friend at the market on saturdays and yes it is packed but a nice vibe. I did a small vt meet through Notting Hill the area is steeped in history and used to be a place where there were more pigs then people. Visit the only remaining 19th centuary kiln in Walmer Lane. The area also used to be associated with horse racing so you will see roads such as hippodrome. St Johns church is worth a visit as is All Saints church in Talbot Lane. And lets not forget the award winning toilets just off the market.
The Portobello gold is a good pub with wholesome food.

Travel Tips for London

Eros ~ 'The Angel of Christian Charity'

by Jenniflower

This must be one of the most looked at and photographed statues in the world.

It is the Shaftesbury Memorial fountain, erected in 1893 generally called ‘Eros’, and otherwise known as 'The Angel of Christian Charity', which is translated as 'Agape' but formally called 'Anteros'.

It was designed to commemorate the work of Anthony Ashley Cooper, the 7th Earl of Shaftesbury, for his pilanthropic work.

It is a figure of a naked archer with wings, quite controversial when first erected (with it being nude), but has since become a London icon.

Piccadilly Circus is a tourist mecca, it has the commuter traffic, as well as all the tourist traffic, all year round. This statue is found in the midst of this madness, and fares well I think.

People rest on the steps of this statue, chat, eat, take photos and have a good time.

A titbit of interesting info: The statue is used as the mast head of the Evening Standard newspaper.

(I will load a few beautiful shots I took of this statue soon :)

Useful London Magazine-Where

by bren1125

Where (this is the name of the publication)

This is the most useful magazine in London.

Has all attractions, theatre, dining, shopping, entertainment, museums.

They are broken down into categories and have map codes for the map included with the magazine.

It is published monthly.

conquer the TOWER OF LONDON. ...

by Krystynn

conquer the TOWER OF LONDON.

Originally built in the 11th century as a Royal residence, it is now the home of the Crown Jewels. This is also the place where King Henry VIII (yup, that monarch with 6 wives!) had his second wife, Anne Boleyn beheaded for adultery!! Poor defenceless Anne.... Their only daughter, known also as the Virgin Queen, Elizabeth I later became the first English FEMALE monarch of the mighty British empire! Yeah, that's Girl Power for you!!!! ;-)

Books books everywhere! Waterstones, Piccadilly

by Jenniflower

London is in love with books.

Bookshops abound everywhere, from the large, 5 storied Waterstones, to the small (and slightly dishevelled) backstreet bookshops. I am fond of both, for different reasons.

This particular branch of Waterstones is one well-thumbed by me as I walk past it every day to and fro work and the tube. It happens to be the flagship stor of Waterstones. There are 5 floors and they have every conceivable book in every conceivable theme you could imagine. During a lunch hour, its really nice to grab a book and go and sit in their coffee shop, 5th view, reading away. There is no pressure to buy the book, one just has to be very careful when reading it that one spills no coffee over it! haha

They hold quite a few signings here, from Enid Blyton, to Paul McCartney, to Bill Clinton. I am not one to stand in a frozen queue from 4am to get a book personally signed (lol), but have had the good fortune of spotting Bill Clinton as he was walking to the back entrance of the book shop.

The people in London are very...

by lm1278

The people in London are very well mannered be sure to be polite while you are there.
People on the tube rarely talk and therefore you should not talk.
Tipping is not expected, if a tip is necessary it will usually be added to the bill.

Comments