Pembridge Palace Hotel London

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 31% more and rated 40% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

Good value for money.

We stayed at Pembridge Palace hotel for 4 nights, 4th-8th of June 2007. Our stay was surprisingly pleasant as we had been getting increasingly worried after reading bad reviews on bed-bugs. We booked through www.laterooms.com and the price for a double room was GBP 55. The staff, all of which spoke excellent English, was helpful, we needed a ligthbulb and it was changed right away and when we asked if we could borrow a wine opener they saw to it right away and brought it to our room.

The room was on the 3rd floor next to the elevator and was small but clean. The lobby was really nice with beautiful chandeliers. We had some problems with the TV's antenna and could only watch one channel. The bathroom was in mint condition, and the water pressure in the shower was REALLY good, with as much hot water as we wanted. We had expected some bed-bugs and that scared us as we don't have any in our country, Iceland, but didn't encounter any. Maybe we just got lucky, who knows, but everything was to our satisfaction and we would definately stay in this hotel again.

If you come here by taxi tell the taxi driver that the entrance to the hotel is on Leinster Square, which is a one-way street, as it is not that easy to find, and our taxi driver cruised a bit trying to find the hotel. If you come by train then Bayswater station is a 5 minutes´ walk from the hotel, just take a left turn when you come to Whiteleys Shopping Center (see my tip), walk to the end of that part of Prince's Square, turn right and then immediately left on Leinster Square and in the middle of that street is the hotel. Once found it is easily found again :)

Bayswater Road is just a 5 minutes' walk from the hotel where you can catch buses to Oxford Street and the ride takes about 5 minutes. One of the buses takes you directly to Piccadilly Circus so it is easy to get back to the hotel if you want to spend your evenings down-town. The ride back at nights takes about 18-20 minutes. At the end of our stay the hotel staff then ordered a cab for us for Stansted airport for GBP 50, which is a reasonable price.

More about Pembridge Palace Hotel London

Queensway and Queensway market.

by Regina1965

Queensway is one of the streets in London which are buzzing with life with lots of shops and bars and the oldest department store in London, Whiteley shopping center (see my tip).

Queensway is in Bayswater so all the surrounding streets are crowded with hotels and guesthouses. I once stayed in Pembridge Palace hotel, which is one block from Queensway (see my tip).

There is an inside market in Queensway, Queensway market, which is quite interesting, I have added photos on the market here. It has got many small stores and even a corridor called Psychic Mew where you can talk to mediums and get tarot and rune readings.
There are not many places in London where you can buy fake brand-names like Dior and Chanel etc. but in this market there is a store which sells only fake brand-name clothes. What I found interesting is that there were so many Russians there and some of the store signs were written in Russian as well. There is a Russian café there and a Mediterranean café, a Brazilian shop, an Afro-market and Arabic stores, so this indoor-market is quite international.

There is almost everything in there, a hairdresser, food-store, jewellers, Internet, electronic repair, a computer market, antique etc. etc. So this makes for an interesting visit and I always check it out when in London.

Palace...I don't think so!

We arrived at the Pembridge to check in to our already paid for room for 3 nights. Upon our arrival, we were dissolutioned at the prospect of being "shoved" into the basement of this establishment, considering we'd booked 4 weeks in advance. As we tried to find our way to the room, we had to by-pass a couple of cigarette smokers in the fire exit, who actually worked there. Upon entering the room, the door lock & handle was actually falling off and you could see inside the room from the hole it created. We nearly tripped over the bed as you opened the door, there was a TV that had a coathanger for an arial which no channels had worked anyway, and a window looking into the fire exit where we previously passed the smokers. I asked the manager for a room, of a different nature, one where a Honeymoon can be experienced in more subtle surroundings. He said he only had a twin room available. After much debate, we said that'll do for the one night so we went up to the room, opened the door and noticed luggage bags on the floor. Someone was in the bathroom, presumably in the shower. This manager gave us the keys to another room which was already occupied...I mean what kind of security is that! We went downstairs, and for the third time they gave us another room, another twin which we said we'd take for the 1 night only and cancel the following 2 nights. They gave us a set of keys instead of the security card for this room so I had to go back upstairs and get that replaced also, checked my bags in and then instead of London sightseeing, went looking for another hotel that evening so we could relax for the rest of the week-end.
The place was a mess, disorganised and definately will never be going to the Pembridge Palace again. I'm astounded how this hotel is rated 3 stars and for the price, your much better off going somewhere else, just like I did.

Need water please!!!

Some of the persons who went to this hotel had bad experiences with water, We are in this too! In our case there were no water to take a shower for 3 hours on saturday morning. But let me eget back to the begining of our marvelous adventure in the Pembridge "Palace". We are a young couple (less than 30 years old) who came in London for the Carnival week-end last August. We are quite easy-going regarding comfort, we just needed a clean bedroom to sleep. That's why we accepted without any objections to take a double room with tiny twin beds although we had booked a double bed. The reception guy promised that it was only for 1 night. Our bedroom was very loud but not so dirty, we had no remote for TV and no ceiling light. But for us it was OK, it wasn't a big deal. We became very nervous the day after, because of the water problem. We woke up at 9,expecting to take a shower and having breakfast then...no luck!!! We went to the reception where we were told that the problem will be fixed in 10-15 minutes. We waited for 1 hour (no more breakfast!) and get back to the reception, where there was the only girl a little bit helpful (the Indian girl, not the useless blond) : they said that the whole block had this water problem. We went out (dirty) to take a breakfast and ask a neighbour if he had any water problem : nope!!! We get back to the hotel really angry because of those lies and we asked to see the boss or a manager, noone were here, we waited for 1 more hour before a young guy came and tried to find a solution. We were just fed up with this hotel and didn't want to stay a minute more. He arranged a transfer to the Kyriad hotel just 100 meters far from there where we had a really good service. So our advice : AVOID THIS HOTEL! We do not understand why Expedia keep this place in their records.

Not very child friendly

Chose this hotel as it had a patio area for our children to play in but it was filthy and not very child friendly as it had 6ft drop into the basement only protencted by a small fence. It was not cleaned during our trip and had left over food and drink cups everywhere. We also had problems at checkin with us only being given one or our two rooms at 2pm. We returned at 5pm to find the room with our bags had been given to someone else and the cot that had been ordered had still not arrived. On return at 9pm still no cot and the alternative offered was a camp bed. The room was clean and one was an ok size, shower was tiny but good pressure and temperature. Breakfast was a shambles, too many people not enough room. It was ok for one night but not with children. Staff not very helpful. But it was a good location near to Paddington and the taxi ordered for us was reasonably priced.

Some Palace. Avoid the Pembridge Dump!

Horrible place. Hostile and unhelpful staff. Terribly, terribly overpriced (I booked through Expedia and actually spent more for a night in this hotel than I did when I got a room at NY's Waldorf Astoria last summer.)
Advertised through Expedia as being in South Kensington, I was surprised to find it in Bayswater--the Queensway on a hot Saturday night was swarming and noisy. My two daughters and I found the hotel and were given a cramped, dusty room on the first floor with a window easily accesible from the street.
We had a creepy after-dark walk to pick up some groceries; when we got back I asked for another room.
No better, but at least it was on the second floor so we could leave the window open (I was afraid to draw the curtains shut at night for fear of falling bugs.)
We had no glasses, no soap, towels seemed unclean (though I tried not to think about that). The phone didn't work, there was no ice, no secure place to leave baggage the next day and a really crummy breakfast. In fact, all those other reviews mentioned the boiled eggs. Guess they ran out of those by the time we got there.
Trust me, this place is a dump.

Second worst hotel I have ever stayed in...

Including "palace" in the name of this hotel is an offence against the english language. After a five minute struggle with a fussy defective lock, I discovered that my tiny single room contained a flickering light and flickering TV. The promised ensuite facilities were down the hall. The hallway itself was obstucted by a garbage can full of dirty towels. More of the same were strewn all over the floorway and my room door was partially blocked by a mattress propped up against the wall. The mattress in the room was so uncomfortable that I actually entertained the notion of recovering the one from the hallway.....simply awful hotel. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the shower pipe separated when I turned it on, soaking the entire bathroom, including all my clothes.

Where did the three stars come from?

I stayed here in June 2004 and while I didn't have the awful time some people did, there were just too many individual faults. The reception desk was poorly organised. The en-suite facilities were actually across the stairs, but at least I had my own key to them. This made very little difference as the lock didn't work anyway. The room was on the small side, which I expected, but it had the uneasy feeling of having been recently converted from a store cupboard. The phone in my room didn't work, but I did have satellite television, where 'satellite' is a euphemism for three channels tuned in very badly. Ample entertainment was thus provided by lying on my bed and looking at the fitting where the smoke alarm should have been (which I'm fairly sure is illegal - absence of alarm, not me looking at the ceiling). The door to the room was also poorly fitted, with a gap underneath tapering to nearly an inch, something which wouldn't have bothered me too much had it been possible to turn off the light directly outside the door. It seemed that nobody was expected to use the stairs since they were strewn with unwashed towels and tubs of laundry (again, Health and Safety legal issues). Nor did the cracked tiles on the way down to the breakfast room help the general ambience. Beyond all that, the breakfast was passable, there was useful internet access in the foyer, and the location was fine, if a little characterised by Italians playing football in the street until the small hours. As I wasn't paying all that much it wasn't too dreadful (though I would have hesitated to pay the full prices as advertised), although I won't be hurrying back either.

Just horrible

We had room 218, which seemed to be as terrible as all the rest : a big hole in the ceiling of the bathroom, broken tiles, no soap etc. We had hot water (I guess we were really lucky !), but the hot water came from the bath, the cold water from the shower. and ... I didn't had enough power to open the water providers. the lavabo was stuck and dirty water stayed in for a few minutes.
And the towels, I think some of them were not washed at all because they had a terrible smell.
We had a sattelite TV (hahaha) with 3 chanels (if you could see something) and no remote control.
When I went down to ask for the coffee and tea making facilities (it wasn't in the room, but on the door there was a message mentioning you could ring and ask for it) they said they couldn't provide it but you could take some coffee or tea downstairs and take it with you.
And not to forget to mention that the 'recently refurnished rooms' had new lighting, but I think they forgot to hide the old holes, because they were all there.
we didn't want to pay a lot for a hotel for our Christmas shopping, but I didn't know 3 stars means this in England.
And the really great thing was the fire alarm. the first night it went off 5 times ! That created a really special atmosphere, especially the next morning at the breakfast table.
I hope the next hotel we choose they will have friendly people who can smile at you or at least speak English.

LONDON - Pembridge Palace Hotel

by Regina1965

"Pembridge Palace Hotel"

We stayed at Pembridge Palace hotel for 4 nights, from the 4th of June until the 8th of June 2007. Our stay was surprisingly pleasant as we had been getting increasingly worried after reading all the bad reviews. We booked through www.laterooms.com and the price for a double room was GBP 55, which was really reasonable. The staff, all of which spoke excellent English, was extremely helpful, we needed a ligthbulb and it was changed right away and when we asked if we could borrow a wine opener they saw to it right away and brought it to our room. The room was on the third floor next to the elevator and was small but clean and as shown on the photos on the hotel's website. The lobby was really nice with beautiful chandeliers and the photos from the gallery on the hotel's website give an accurate picture of what one can expect. We had some problems with the TV's antenna and could only watch one channel but hadn't come to London to watch TV, so that didn't bother us. The bathroom was in mint condition, and the water pressure in the shower was REALLY good, with as much hot water as we wanted. We had expected some bed-bugs and that scared us as we don't have any in our country, Iceland, but didn't encounter any. Maybe we just got lucky, who knows, but everything was to our satisfaction and we would definately stay in this hotel again. If you come there by taxi tell the taxi driver that the entrance to the hotel is on Leinster Square, which is a one-way street, as it is not that easy to find, and our taxi driver cruised a bit trying to find the hotel. If you come by train then Bayswater station is a 5 minutes´ walk from the hotel, just take a left turn when you come to Whiteleys Shopping Center, walk to the end of that part of Prince's Square, turn right and then immediately left on Leinster Square and in the middle of that street is the hotel. Once found it is easily found again :) Bayswater Road is just a 5 minutes' walk from the hotel where you can catch buses to Oxford Street and the ride takes about 5 minutes. One of the buses takes you directly to Piccadilly Circus so it is easy to get back to the hotel if you want to spend your evenings down-town. The ride back at nights takes about 18-20 minutes. The staff then ordered a cab for us for Stansted airport for GBP 50, which is a reasonable price. So all in all we had a really nice stay.

"Pembridge Palace Hotel"

"Pembridge Palace Hotel."

Although the address is Princes's Square the entrance to the hotel is on Leinster Square. This picture is taken opposite the hotel.

Hotel Pembrige Palace- london

by YEZAEL

HI! I'm an Italian girl (a new element of this web site) who wants to spend some days in London with a friend. Someone knows the Pembridge Palace Hotel (Princes Square) ? If you know it, can you tell me your opinion about it, cause we booked there. Moreover, is it comfortable for the visit of the main attractions ? Then if you want to give me pieces of advice about palces where we can eat (cheap if it's possible) and not like MC DONALD's (i've seriuos problems to my stomach)..or any other adivice....THANK YOU :)
Sonia

Re: Hotel Pembrige Palace- london

by zuriga

People should check out www.tripadvisor.com before booking hotels. People who rated the Pembridge Palace didn't seem to like it at all. If you can, I'd look for another choice. Anywhere in London is close to the main attractions.. it's not a large city and you'll be able to walk much more than you might imagine.. or just hop on the Tube. For good, inexpensive lunches (inexpensive for London) try Pret a Manger for good sandwiches and Chinatown is also a bit cheaper.

Re: Hotel Pembrige Palace- london

by YEZAEL

i didn't know this site, so i booked there cause my friend works in a traval agency and she has a great discount. But you know very well this hotel...why people don't like it? The must important thing is that it's clean and near to attractions.

Comments