1 out of 5 stars1 Star

12 Sherwood Street, Piccadilly Circus, London, W1F 6BR, United Kingdom

Otel.com AMOMA.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• BADBADBAD

The showers were spoilt (out of three two were out so only one was working - for the WHOLE 7th FLOOR) and they acted surprised said they "would fix it" but never did for the 3 nights we were there (was supposed to be 5 nights read on!)

The other female users were complaining as well, and there was no sign to say it was spoilt in the first place and a poor girl was stuck there waiting for the water to come on (coz there was a tiny sticker saying you needa wait 2-3 minutes for the hot water) but there was NO WATER AT ALL! so i told her it's spoilt coz i left it on for ten minutes, in the end i wrote a sign and pasted it on the wall to say it's spoilt, if not people would be waiting forever!

i also had over 40 bites from bed bugs (yes, i counted!)

in the end, argued with the staff with my bites in full view, checked out on the 4th night (it got so bad during the day no joke!), with half refunded and went to a nice bed and breakfast for the same price at st. pancras. Not worth the trouble to stay here.

If they dont even care for the toilets or where you sleep, why would they care for you?

Unique Quality: it's just crap!

GO STAY AT A BED AND BREAKFAST NEAR ST. PANCRAS

• Dyesebel's Profile Photo

Overrated

I've read a lot of good things about this hostel but unfortunately,they aren't all true.The rooms are dirty and the shared bathrooms are disgusting.It's a hostel so expect it to be loud in the evening esp. weekends.We also experienced a fire alarm in the early hours,we had to evacuate the building and stayed outside in the cold for 15-20 minutes.And it turned out that some drunk pressed the fire alarm.I wouldn't stay here again.

• definitely bitter sweet.

I think that the location of this hostel is spectacular! Definitely easy to find when getting off the underground from the airport or wherever.. and close to some great shopping. I thought that the front desk people were incredibly friendly, and certainly happy to help as best they could.. but there were certainly some downfalls. We were on the seventh floor, and the "lift" was broken.. yay. and then our sink was plugged the whole time.. so we couldnt even use it, and it started to smell. the beds were soooo uncomfortable, the room was hot, and the window wouldnt open! there was no hot water.. they said there wouldnt be any between 8 and 10, so we tried various times of the day and night, and there was never any luck. the showers were pretty nasty as well.. mostly due to people not cleaning up after themselves. the breakfast was okay, but the juice was nasty! on our last day there, the lift was suddenly fixed.. so we tried it, and i swear we almost died. definitely one of the scariest experiences of my life. the second we got to our floor, we ran off and never tried it again. the exercise on the stairs was well worth avoiding that death trap. the internet cafe was also down, so we had to head a few blocks away to get online. not so bad, but it was inconvenient. all in all, i thought the people were nice, but the place kind of sucked. i think i'd do it again if i wanted some crazy adventure.. and i was less bitter at the time because i had just been in Africa.. but for a nice holiday, i wouldnt pick piccadilly backpackers.

• Good Budget Place to Stay in London

If you want a cheap, safe and relatively clean place to stay, try the Picadilly Backpackers hostel (http://www.piccadillyhotel.net/). I've stayed there before and will stay there again when I'm back in London this summer.

They have a 24 hour front desk security and you can't beat the prices or location (literally 2 minutes from Picadilly Circus). It's within walking distance of Buckingham, Big Ben, etc.

Price wise, it's 39 pounds (weekday) or 47 pounds (weekend) for a private single room. Alternatively, in the dorms it is only 15 to 20 pounds per night depending on how many other people are in your room.

Directions: Just around the corner from Picadilly Circus.

• Horrible! Horrible! Horrible!

What an absolutely horrible place. Do not under any circumstances stay here!

London was our last stop after backpacking around Europe, and it was supposed to be our grand stay. We splurged on a private room at this hostel, thinking it would be better. The "security" at the door downstairs would not let us up to just hold our bags during the day before checking in later that night (we got there really early a.m.) so we had to carry our luggage around London for a day of sight seeing. When we finally arrived to check in, there was a huge line that took absolutely forever to check in. On the walls were pictures of the shared rooms beautifully decorated, etc., so we were really excited to see what ours would be like.

Horrible. That's what our room was. It was a bed and a sink in a cramped small room. No pretty paint colors on the walls and nice new furniture like the photos had shown us. The room was disgusting and hot. We had to open the window to get air, which also let in the noise and bugs from outside. The next morning's "breakfast" was toast. I can't believe we "splurged" for the bigger room to end up with that. Everyone that worked there was rude and unhelpful. Their only saving grace is the location, and judging by it being London and they have the red bus that takes you around to everywhere, it's just not worth it. The area is expensive so you travel elsewhere anyway for food.

Not worth it. Don't do it. Horrible. Gross. Do not stay here under any circumstances or you will regret it.

Directions: Piccadilly Circus

• Worlds worst. Period.

I will not even describe my embarasing eperience with staying at this place; the cleanliness(not) and politeness(neither) of its stuff and management. It is simply so bad that if I start writing negative comments the list will be so long that I will probably earn them sympathy points and I'll lose credibility and will no be believed... yes, so bad and so many of them.

Just two words my friends: STAY AWAY. The worst place I ever stayed in and the worst treatment and service I received.

There are so many more choices in London, including as mentioned in this site, that are classes up from this disaster of a place to stay. And money saved can't buy the bad aftertaste having stayed there, I listened to others that traded quality for its location and I much regret it now. I would have been better off staying the end of the tube line in a decent place, although I am pretty sure there are bargains around including in other central locations. You have been warned...

Unique Quality: Ideal place for masochists that want to catch a disease, have cold showers, being awaken at random intervals at night for wrong reasons or without any, getting robbed, enjoy being treated badly, etc.

• Dirty - Not Secure - Greedy and Rude - Stay Away!

I've stayed in Generator Hostel twice in London and, although dodgy and not particularly clean or quiet, it was miles better than this rat hole.
    I book two nights, check-in early, the room has 4 beds, is a complete mess stuff thrown all over, there is nobody there, I go to sleep. In the middle of the night a bunch of guys, drunk and loud enter the room, switch on the light and one of them is making a fuss about me sleeping in his bed. He realises I'm a girl, he claims this is a guys room and I can hear his friends in the background suggesting that he should sleep with me (not in these nice words). But my key was working. And his too. The guy kindly leaves me in peace and goes to the reception, I go back to sleep. Next day the reception, different guys than the ones in the night shift, have no record of anybody complaining about double-booking a bed. They say to me "we don't double-book beds here", right, if you say so... What about the security check downstairs, everyone should either present their keys or provide a reference to a valid reservation, in your site you claim this is a secure place (see FAQ, I've actually checked it before going). "This is not our responsibility, this is why we have 24hours reception to report any problems anytime", yeah, after they happen, there is 24hours police to report thank you very much. Well, whatever, I want to check-out and I want a refund for the second night. We argue for 10 minutes, people is waiting patiently in the long queue, because the reception guy refuses to pay me back my lousy 18 pounds for a night I won't occupy the room, after the horrible incident the hostel _is_ responsible for. I don't get my money back and I leave furious.
    I've stayed in lots of strange places, I've spent nights outdoors fearing for what might happen to me, but paying not to stay and to be treated like sh** it's my first. I'm not suggesting that anybody who goes there will have my experience. Consider thought the possibility, and how you want to be treated if...

• Piccadilly Backpakers nice ?

Tha hostel is maybe centrally located but dirty, poky, no good light in the rooms, no hot water in the morning, very very noisy (you cannot sleep without ear plugs). When you have walked a lot during the day, still you have to climb 4 or 5 floors in the evening ! Breakfast is just 2 toasts with margarine and jam and if you want to drink, you ahve to pay although it is said that breakfast is included ! The staff speaking some kind of English that only the Spanish can understand. They are not really helpflul, they know nothing about London. I will never never go back there again !

Unique Quality: No

• Forsberg21's Profile Photo

Is location worth shoddy accomodation?

Is location worth shoddy accommodation? That's the question I asked myself after my week-long stay at Piccadilly Backpackers.

I arrived in London with classmates on a study trip with about half of the student group also staying at this hostel. We found it easily; the directions are crystal-clear. Usually, when you hear "centrally located" or the place takes the namesake of an area, it's an exaggeration; however, this was the real deal. This hostel is literally located just steps from Piccadilly Circus.

Booking is a hassle here. It was difficult getting rooms with or near my classmates. I recommend booking early if you want a group discount, or booking reservations together if you are too late for that.

The place is generally dirty. Most rooms are quite shabby and not so comfortable. The only really positive thing about the rooms I stayed in was that there was a sink in each one.

The staff is generally very nice and helpful. There were a handful (maybe four or five) people on the staff who seemed generally concerned about the guests and did everything they could to help.

Regarding the Internet café: not a great deal. It's cheaper than most places, but the computers are not well-regulated and thus unreliable. There were more than two occasions in which I had to go to the desk and request a replacement card for the computer freezing up.

That's another thing about the Internet usage here: the cards. They mark what time they sell you the card on the back, so if you wait until later to use it and then it doesn't work, going back and trying to get it replaced can be dependent upon who you're talking to. It costs 80 pence for 20 minutes (not really that bad, under 2 USD) or £1.50 for an hour. You can't log off and save time if you don't use all the time; you have to use it continuously. I would suggest instead checking mail at an Apple Store instead!

Shower late at night; there is no warm water in the mornings, and they warn you that there might not be from 8:00-10:00 in the morning. They're right.

Unique Quality: You are literally steps from Piccadilly Circus if you stay at this hostel. It's got a great location and there are some great Indian and Chinese restaurants just around the corner towards Soho.

Directions: From the underground: take exit 1 onto Glasshouse Street. You'll find yourself at a Burger King. Go left and past the (expensive) donut place (not worth eating there, by the way), and continue along that street, past a theatre, and you're there.

• SoCalGirl's Profile Photo

London's Best Located Hostel

Located in the center of London, Piccadilly Backpackers Hotel literally has Piccadilly Circus on its doorstep (London's liveliest area) -truly making it the most central hostel in London.
    They are only a heartbeat from London's most popular attractions; including the famous nightspot Leicester Square, the trendy area of Soho, the bustling shopping area of Oxford Street and London's renowned central Theatre Land. There is a fun common room with full internet access. While it wasnt the cleanest stay on our trip, signified by the flies and ripped curtans, we had a great stay.

Directions: Right near Piccadilly Circus.

• Nor_Cal_Brad's Profile Photo

Piccadilly Circus bargain hostel

I arrived in the afternoon and had a 4 person room to myself until late at night when the other 3 people arrived. They upgraded my room type and still charged me the cheapest price. I didn't have reservations, but this is a fairly large hostel and I was alone, so that probably helped. The room was clean, and the showers and toilets are down the hall from the room. It is very convenient that they have onsite internet and laundry facilities, though the washer and dryer were very expensive. There is also a T.V. lounge where many people were hanging out watching the World Cup, eating, and drinking. I would recommend this hostel to budget travelers who want to stay in a centrally located place for cheap. Many sights are within walking distance: the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, The Mall, Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, the London Eye, etc... I walked here from Victoria Station with my backpack on.

Unique Quality: I would say the best quality of this place is that is has a great location (just about a 30 second walk from the hostel to Piccadilly Circus) for a great price (I believe it was ₤ 12 per person).

Directions: This is just around the corner from the Burger King at Piccadilly Circus. **NOTE: the name is written vertically going up the front wall, and if it's a hot day they may have the door open and you will only see "SHOTEL" (of PICADILLY BACKPACKERS HOTEL)

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel

We stayed in a 4-beds room with a sink and common shower/toilet for the whole floor.
    It was alright, anyway all we cared was the LOCATION. It was indeed a good one.

Directions: On Picadilly circus if you face the sony ad, turn into a small narrow street on your left and keep going few yards (pass Piccadilly theater) until you see a big yellow sign on your right - that`s it.

• Timothycheng's Profile Photo

Bad experience

Sorry! Except the location, I can't find any advantages of this hostel.

1. Some staffs' attitude was extremely bad (e.g. the guy in reception).
    2. The room is extremely small. I have reserved in a double room with only a double bed, wash basin and small wardrobe (no chair, toilet or shower). Also, the room was a little bit dirty and very very noisy at night and morning that i can't sleep well.
    3. Also, the shared facilties e.g. toilets and showers were quite dirty. Finally, i gave up washing my hair as the water was running so slow!!!

Although the hostel is located at the most central location, just forget this as you will buy a day pass to visit other places in london. The double room costs around US$ 94 per room with only toasts for the breakfast but i have found another 3 stars hotel which costs US$100 per double room with toilet and shower including a free english breakfast through the lastminute.com in the tourist centre.

Actually, the conditions were so poor that even i lost 1 night penalty, i still moved to the other hotel!!!
    Consider thoroughtly if you really want to stay in this hostel.

Directions: Within 5 mins walk from the Tube station

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Piccadilly Backpackers Hotel

What a great place for a backpacker! Although The Generator may be a better party place there is no better location that you can get for the prices that they offer here. You are 1 block from Piccadilly Circus so you can actually party in downtown London and not be stuck at the hostel. An 8-10 bed dormitory is 12 pounds. A 6 bed dormitory is 18 pounds. They have internet available for 24 hours with high speed access for only 1 pound an hour. Breakfast is included. Hot showers. I totally recommend this place

Unique Quality: Breakfast Included
    24hr Reception
    Hot Showers
    24hr Security
    24hr Internet Cafe
    24hr Travel Shop
    No Curfew / No Lockout

Directions: Get to Piccadilly Circus underground . Take Exit 1 onto Glasshouse Street. Cross the road onto Sherwood Street. Walk for 30 seconds.

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Hostel

I stayed here for three nights.
    The building is not very modern, the lift only transports 4 peolple each time...

Unique Quality: Dormitory rooms are small;
    Bathrooms are very noisy because of the extractors;
    Breakfast is basic and is served on the 4th floor - at least two toasts, marmelada or butter and coffee, milk or orange juice;
    Internet service is availabe 24h for a good price;
    The staff are very kind, and the location is excellent!

Directions: Piccadilly Circus

More about Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel

Piccadilly Backpackers Hotel

by ursa9

Hi, folks.

I will be in London from 13-18 January and I want to hear your opinion about this hostel. Most of all, I want to know if there are heating and warm water available. Maybe it's a funny question, but 2 years ago I was freezing in a "London hostel" and I had to shower with cold water, which went out every 10 seconds :o( ... and I don't want to experience that ever again.

Do you have any suggestions for any other hostels in this or other area as close as possible to the central area?

Tnx :o)

Re: Piccadilly Backpackers Hotel

by sapphire65

i heard the Generator is awesome

Comments