London Road, Wrotham Heath, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15 7RS, United Kingdom

More about London

Big Ben and ParlaimentBig Ben and Parlaiment

Answer 23Answer 23

Nelson... the AmiralNelson... the Amiral

Dover Castle pub (closed), Stepney, London, UK.Dover Castle pub (closed), Stepney, London, UK.

BEST FISH N CHIPS

by nyceagle1633

Tell me where the ultimate Fish n Chips is in London. Staying with a friend in East London / Stratford, West Ham area. Thanks.

by johnaalex

Very difficult to answer, but The Fryer's Delight, 19, Theobald's Rd, Holborn, London, WC1X 8SL is worth a visit.

Regards

John

by zuriga

My favorite fish and chips (and it gets a lot of praise from many) is Master's Superfish near Waterloo Station. The fish and chips are first rate. Some say the best is the Golden Hind in Marylebone. You could eat at them all and publish a report! The other place mentioned above also gets good marks.

by leics

There isn't any one place. It all depends on personal preferences.

London is not where you get the best fish & chips in the UK (you need to be by the sea, for a start) but there are nevertheless some perfectly acceptable chippies.

These articles should help:

by nyceagle1633

Thanks, keep it going!

by leics

Fish & chips are a) always best eaten in the open air by the sea and b) miles better 'oop' north than down south.

Magpie cafe in Whitby, Yorkshire. Harry Ramsden's (the original), ditto.

I am, of course, biased. :-)

Just choose a convenient chippie from the lists on the sites above.

by zuriga

We didn't get to the Magpie this year, but it really is a wonderful restaurant. I wish they had a branch in London, but it wouldn't be the same.

by planxty

I have to agree with a previous answer and go for Masters on Waterloo Road. I actually know one of the guys who owns it and I can assure you they only use the very best of stuff.

If you are doing a bit of sightseeing round Westminster, there is a good place called the Laughing Halibut @ 38, Strutton Ground, London, SW1P 2HR. Strutton Ground is just off Victoria Street and about a five minute walk from Westminster Abbey.

Alternatively, have a look at the restaurant tips section in VT. I know there are a lot of reviews there.

The Rock and Sole Plaice @ 47 Endell Street, London, WC2H 9AJ gets a good press although I have never eaten there personally.

Hope this assists,

fergy

by zuriga

Fergy - good to get your agreement about Master's. I thought their food was as good as the famous Magpie in Whitby, although the ambiance can't compete. :-) I am anxious to go back and try Master's again one day soon. It beats anything we have in the Southland.

by planxty

Sorry for the thread hijack.

June, if you go, speak to Mason (he's a Kiwi), and tell him I sent you. He might even buy me a pint on the strength of it!

by zuriga

Will do. I've been trying to get my husband there for ages... maybe next time we're up in London. Last time I was there, a German family sat next to me and asked me what to order. I laughed to myself... the Yank expert on chippies.

by muguruki

You'll not get gravy on yer chips down there lad!

Travel Tips for London

London Bridge....Where is it!!!

by herzog63

On my First trip to London in 1983 which was my first time out of the United States I found myself looking for the World Famous London Bridge!! I was armed with a map and off I went. There were only 2 things that I knew I wanted to see...London Bridge and Big Ben!! So here I was standing on London Bridge thinking to myself that this can't be the London Bridge as it was very plain looking!! As I looked down river I spotted a Beautiful Bridge and said to myself "There it is!" Little did I know that I was standing on the London Bridge and the beautiful bridge that I was looking at was the Tower Bridge!!

Dali Sculptures

by CoAir13

Along the river in front of the Saatchi Gallery/County Hall (next to the London Eye) there are sculptures depicting the works of Salvador Dali. He is one of my favorite artists and certainly the most influential surrealist of all time!

Covent Garden

by dvideira

Covent Garden is one of the London's biggest tourist magnets. The origins of Covent Garden are firmly rooted in medieval times, when a local 'convent garden' supplied fruit and vegetables to Westminster Abbey.

The impressive covered central market was originally designed for this same purpose, although it now contains restaurants, open-air cafés and small shops selling antiques, books, and arts and crafts.

In 1540 King Henry VIII confiscated the lands of the monasteries and the land was given to John Baron Russell, the first Earl of Bedford.
In 1632 the 4th Earl of Bedford, Francis Russell, commissioned the renowned architect Inigo Jones to develop the area into a luxury neighborhood.

Influenced by Italian piazzas, Jones created London's first public square, surrounded by arcaded buildings and dominated by the church of St. Paul.

Nowadays, the piazza is famous for the many street performers who entertain the visitors. One of the places I liked more visiting when I was there was the Cabaret Mechanical Theatre a Museum of Automata (Mechanical Sculpture)

I bought there a lot of books and card cut-outs to my niece and nephew.

Congregation point for Kiwi's

by fishandchips

As a Kiwi in London I was interested in the building known as New Zealand House. It is located The Haymarket off Pall Mall and has my local newspaper so I could keep up with news from home. NZ House has the NZ High Commission plus the offices of the High Commissioner. NZ House was built in 1959 on the derelict site of the Carlton Hotel, destroyed by a bomb during the Blitz.

As you walk in the front door you will see a couple of important bits – a massive Maori carving and the coat of arms above an inscription of the buildings opening. The photo's are of my Mum in front of each.

Amongst other things, NZ House is a start point of peoples of the UK to investigate work options in New Zealand including immigration information and assistance.

NZ House is also a place to go if you forgot to arrange a Visa for a European country as they can help you with forms etc.

Smiling and Greeting Forbidden

by eleanorbueza

As a Canadian, I always feel the need to smile at people when I pass by them at parks or walking down the street. In London, I smiled at, and sometimes said, 'Good Morning' or 'Good Afternoon' to almost all the elderly-looking people I passed, and NOT ONCE was a smile or greeting returned to me.

Do not take their behaviour personally. I have been told that smiling at or speaking to strangers is considered odd in London. If you appraoch a stranger, he might just call the police on you. Makes me wonder how people are supposed to make friends in this city ...

Comments