President Hotel - London

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

charming

I was here several times in 1986 when I worked at Harrow Research for Kodak.

The accomodations were fine but a bit sparse compared to spoiled American standards.
    My room had a bed, a table and chair, a clothes closet/bureau, a clothes dresser, a lampstand and lamp and very little room to move around. The lavoratory was three rooms down the hall and was shared by 7 roomers. The furniture was very old but very serviceable (nothing damaged or dented, just old style). There was a public phone, in the hall inside a little booth, that we could use by just telling the operator a special hotel code number that related to our room.

The internal and external architecture was semi-modern Londonese. Everything was carpeted or solid wood; the walls were flox wall paper of conservative design. The rooms and halls were clean; the elevators were new but slow (stately might be a good word); the staff were great and patient with my lack of local knowledge.

On the first floor, there was a laundry to turn in your dirty goods to be cleaned and a full bar and a huge waiting room. A full dining room was also open at certain times of the day but I found it cheaper to eat out in the pubs. There also was a chequer station (sort of like a human version of American ATMs) where you could get the latest currency exchange and where Kodak wired me funds.

Unique Quality: the whole atmosphere was great

Directions: near Guilford Street, just opposite Russel Square (on the east side)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

For a Hard day's night

This is a big two star-hotel, that's (as far as you can get in London) in the budget category.

I'm including it here as this hotel has it's own place in music legend - it was home for "The Beatles" during the summer of 1963.

I'd passed by it countless times - but only recently found out about the fab 4 staying here some 40 years ago.

I think room 114 was one of the rooms used - but perhaps you could update this tip with more information if anyone visits and does a bit more research?

Unique Quality: You can also have a wander around Russell square and find the hexagonally shaped flowerbeds that the Beatles had a photo shoot with.

Directions: Russell square tube

More about President Hotel - London

Florence

by keeweechic about Hotel President

When I was there I stayed at the Hotel President. I'm not sure whether it is still there or under the same name but it was small and very comfortable. I have a feeling that it was to do with being a monastry at one time

Affordable and well located

Affordable and well located. A very dissapointing service. Do not fancy breakfast but close by hotel there are very good restaurants that serves smashing breakfast. The clerks are cold (never smiles) and seems as if they are tired of life. Suggest improvement in management.

Over night trip to London to go to the theatre

My self and my wife stayed at THE PRESIDENT HOTEL between the 19th & 20th of September

The hotel is only aprox 100/150mtrs (2.5 mins) walk from RUSSELL SQ tube station, this is great if you want to travel around London

The staffs were polite and friendly

The rooms were clean & tidy but on the basic side (BUT THIS IS ONE OF THE CHEAPER HOTELS IN LONDON).The bed was a bit uncomfortable it was ok for one night but much longer stays I would take a mattress topper
(This might be unfair as I have a very nice bed back at home)
The water/shower was always hot at all time, the TV was ok but the UK cannels had a bit of a bad signal on ours

The breakfast was fine, you could eat as much as you wanted

The reason for our stay was to see Les Miserables at the Queens Theatre, it was a great night out, We also when to China town for a meal before hand it is only a across the road.

We had to check out of our room by 11am, but for 50p only!! the hotel staff will look after your bags for the rest of the day, this was great as we went shopping around Covent Garden and Portobello road (market), we also visited some Museums, (all the main ones are free in London) it would of been a pain with all your bags etc, (we gave the porter a tip of £5.00 on our return)

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL THE STAFF FOR A NICE OVER NIGHT STAY

affordable and great location

My friend and I have just returned from London and stayed 6 nights at the President Hotel.

Our room was clean, with 2 twin beds, they changed the linens everyday.

The mattresses were a little lumpy but not all that bad.

We were on the 1st floor overlooking Russel Park and the main street so it was a little noisy but it didn;t bother us.

The location is great, we walked all over London and only took the tupe a couple of times.

The continental breakfast is just that, toast and muffins/coffee/tea.

There are some great places just up the street towards Oxford street where you can get a cheap breakfast also good places for dinner.

If you walk just across the main entrance there is a small road that leads to Russel Sq. station on the way is a really great pub.

The staff were very pleasant and helpfull.

I would stay there again.

Great Location for the Money

by TripAdvisor Member lolow

Just returned from 5 nights at The President Hotel, centrally located within walking distance of the British Museum,Covent Garden,interesting ethnic restaurants...and very convenient to the Tube, buses, etc. However, the rooms are very dated and small. We had to ask for shampoo, and a hairdryer (for which we had to leave a deposit!) The showers are very narrow. Our bed was on wheels and... travelled. However, we were eventually able to change to a much better room overlooking lovely Russell Square. Be sure to ask for one of them. The included continental breakfast is very basic...tea/coffee, juice, and toast or a dry roll with butter and/or jelly (no preserves). The full breakfast, available for purchase,is inedible. Nonetheless, we will probably return here in the Spring because, despite its total lack of charm, you can't beat the price and location.

excellent location but hotel not great

by TripAdvisor Member havacar

Great Location but
small rooms (cruise ship size)
dated, very warm summer and no air conditioning, very noisy to street noise when windows open. Would not stay here again.

Very Nice

I'm not going to give 4 or 5 stars to this hotel because it's 3* hotel..and I think it deserves 3*....when we got to the Hotel we said Oh my God it's not nice, coz the facade it's not very welcoming, but when we got in we found out that it was nice, I wasn't pretending anything much..but it was a typical English Hotel..70's style...the staff were very nice and one of the porters was very helpful. The room was brilliant!! very clean, comfortable bed, nice bathroom & everything was working properly. The breakfast was ok..I thought that there would be much more variety but hey I can't complain because I only take a bowl of cornflakes. The staff were very nice, they always greeted us with "Good Morning". If I'd go to London again I would definitely choose this Hotel. Oh and EXCELLENT LOCATION!!

• Jackiekg's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Stayed here recently for 10 nights with my sister. The room was a fair size with two
    single beds. There was a kettle, cups and coffee and tea. Also in the room a
    trouser presser. We paid 5 pounds to have a hair dryer in the room, which
    was returned to us when we left. The staff were great, the hotel very clean,
    even when filled with guests. Two minutes away is the underground, and
    buses nearby. What more could one want from a hotel. Would definitely
    stay here again.