Quality Crown Hotel Kensington

162 Cromwell Road, Kensington (formerly Country Inn & Suites), London, SW5 0TT, United Kingdom

• OzVisitors's Profile Photo

Good value hotel close to London action

We booked this hotel on the internet after reading mostly positive reviews by VT members. We found that by waiting to book about a month out from our stay, on the hotels own website www.lth-hotels.com/countryinns/ we got the best price (76 GBP for a suite with king bed). We were travelling in early October so getting the booking wasnt hard but it might be more difficult during busier times. The suite was a good size and nice and clean. The general ambience of the hotel was very pleasant and close to everything. Bus stop just up the road as was Gloucester Road tube station.

Unique Quality: Nice furnishings, clean rooms, nice and quiet despite fronting busy Cromwell Road.

More about Quality Crown Hotel Kensington

Great value! Helpful staff!

by TripAdvisor Member Alice99

A large group of us stayed here recently for 2 weeks. This is the most expensive area of London, yet the value was great! The rooms were clean, and the front desk and bar staff were very helpful and courteous. High speed internet is quick, reliable, and surprisingly allowed some hefty downloading, which was helpful for work. Beds are firmer and rooms are smaller than US standard but nice relative to competition and especially for this value. Some tips: Confirm with hotel DIRECTLY that breakfast is incl. in your rate. Decide whether you really want breakfast included; it wasn't what I expected for the price, esp. when there are so many restaurants so close. Use the Sainsbury's grocery store 1 block down for ATM, Starbuck's, and other groceries. Earl's Court tube station is so much closer than the Gloucester Road tube station plus Earl's Court has a lift and Gloucester has stairs - makes a difference if you have luggage. Leave room key in slot for A/C and heating to make it work. Location extremely convenient to Kensington High shopping area, Hyde Park, museums on Exhibition Road, and the popular Picadilly tube line.

Beware!

by TripAdvisor Member BradandSuz

We had prepaid for our king bed/ deluxe rooms on Expedia. We arrived about 9PM and clerk checked us in. I opened the door to our room only to be very disappointed. The room was the size of a walk-in closet (Double bed touched two walls- almost three). I complained to the clerk and he promised to upgrade us the next day if rooms became available. Not a good option in our minds when we had paid for and expected deluxe king bed accommodations - he had whited out the rack room rate on one of our receipts, but missed on the other receipt which revealed that we had paid more than the rack rate for these rooms. Expedia just about wouldn't refund our money. If there are nice rooms here, I'll never know, as we quickly left and checked into the Marriott acrost the street. Very dissappointed!!! Not sure that this is an honest establishment. I'd not take the risk of reserving rooms at this hotel.

"I feel like a bull in a china shop"

We read all the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking the Country Inn & Suites so we were prepared for a small room. We just did not realize HOW small... The room is about 6 feet by 10 feet. Really. There's barely enough room for the double bed and my husband and I had to sleep facing opposite sides of the bed to both fit comfortably! My husband kept remarking that he felt like a bull in a china shop. Also, as several users have commented, the walls were very thin indeed - - we heard every word of conversations in other rooms. That having been said, the hotel has significant pluses. The location is decent (the tube stop serves several different underground lines and restaurants and a supermarket (with Starbucks if you need a taste of home) are within a block of the hotel), the room is clean (although that should not be a hard task as there is very little space that has to be cleaned), the rooms have AIR CONDITIONING which was key for us after long days of hiking around London in August, and the hotel staff is nice enough. Breakfast was not included in our room rate and was extremely expensive - - 10 pounds each (about 20 dollars each with the exchange rate at the time). But we got a relatively cheap rate on the hotel, so I guess we don't have too much to complain about - - after all, you get what you pay for.

Overall, a decent choice of hotel in London for the price.

Good Hotel

After reading the reviews here about the size of the rooms, I booked an executive double - and I got it. Not a huge room, but the bed was nowhere near touching the walls - and the bed was enormous, and very comfortable. I had an adjoining room and heard no noise at any time. The room and bathroom were spotless, and the shower was fantastic. The lobby / reception / bar is very impressive, so clean it was gleaming, and with very comfortable and luxurious furniture. Staff were great - especially the poor man who was on night duty, and was still serving us alcohol at 3am!

Pleasant Surprise

Was a little nervous booking this budget hotel. However, we were very pleased with the location (inside district 1 on the tube) and the hotel was very nice, clean and quite. No noise from the road and the room was well equiped. Bartender and evening staff were very friendly. Only complaint was there was a bit of a walk from the Gloucester stop to the hotel. However, the route was nice. We tried the Earl's court station (close by) one day but this part of the city was getting a little rougher. In general this is a nice hotel kind of on the fringe of the inner city. Would be nicer to be a bit closer to everything but you cannot beat the great price. Also some nice restaurants and stores along the way.

Just fine for the price

by TripAdvisor Member robzter

I was looking for a place near the Earl's Court Exhibition Hall in August and this was the best combination of a good rating and price in the area. It's true the rooms are small but for one person who was only there to sleep it was great. There is a lot worse out there in London for not a whole lot less money. The staff wasn't over-the-top friendly but anything I asked for was taken care of ASAP. The Gloucester Road & Earl's Court stations are almost the same distance from the hotel so you're fine either way. Having the grocery store literally a 2 minute walk away was nice when it came to buying cheap stuff to eat late at night. I never ate breakfast in the hotel (wasn't included) but there are lots of coffeshops etc. all around the neighborhood. There is also an internet cafe nearby on the other side of the grocery store, don't pay the 5 pounds/hr that the hotel charges from your room. I would like to stay in Soho next time in London, but I would recommend this hotel. Just remember that your average motel rooms in the US will be 2 or 3 times larger than these.

Terrific.

We stayed in a King Size deluxe, and I would recommend it. The Lobby was clean and attractively decorated, the desk staff were polite and helpful. The room was clean, of a good size, and very quiet considering the Cromwell Road is a busy one. Considering the hotel is only 3* I think it represents excellent value for money, considering that it was well decorated, clean and had a couple of nice extras of air conditioning and a good tea and coffee making tray.

We had a good stay, and plan to return.

Not fancy but nice enough

by TripAdvisor Member JillnDave

My husband & I spent our 10 day honeymoon here in September 2004. I was a tad disappointed because it looks so much nicer in pictures, but thanks to the reviews here I kind of knew what to expect. It certainly is smaller than any hotel I've ever stayed in whether in America or Continental Europe, but this seems to be normal for London. We requested a non-smoking, double bed room when we booked with them 5 months prior & both our requests were met. We were on the 2nd floor right on the main road. I never really noticed the street noise or noise from the rooms next to us. However, we could hear a pin drop in the hallway. And there was some kind of strange door in our room, I assume to a utility closet. Occassionally loud rumblings would come from behind that door. We guess it was some kind of water heater or a/c unit.

It was unseasonably warm in London during our visit, but the a/c worked great once we figured out how to make it work - you must leave your room card in the slot near the door for the heat or a/c to work.

The rooms were clean, but hard to believe they recently renovated. The wallpaper had water/mildew damage in a few areas & one of the dresser drawers fell apart while we were there. I have to say that they did fix it the same day though. We never could figure out the coffee pot. It didn't seem to matter how little water we put into it, it leaked out onto the dresser & carpet every time. We had a double bed which was a nice size for us & most important - it was comfortable.

There are no clocks in the room, but the TV does have one as well as an alarm which we used daily. At the end of our trip, we also used the internet service on the TV. The keyboard is small & a bit awkward to use, but works. We didn't use it for the whole hour & somehow the charge was taken off of our bill.

The bathroom was nice & clean. The tub was raised so the shower is a bit short for those over 5'5". They do provide shower caps, a hair dryer, iron & ironing board, soap, & some liquid pump in the shower that I'm guessing was either bodywash or shampoo. We rec'd clean towels every day, but never washcloths. They also have a trouser press, but it didn't seem to work very well.

The front desk people weren't rude, but weren't friendly either. They just seemed to be indifferent & simply doing their jobs. We were told the bar was open 24 hrs but only saw it staffed about half the time. And you can't add it to your room bill unfortunately. They have various magazines & newspapers in the lobby each morning free of charge. We never had breakfast there since it was expensive & not included in the rate so I can't comment on that.

The location was good. We didn't mind the walk to the tube. We mainly used Gloucester, but a word to the wise - use Earl's Court if you have luggage or a disability. Gloucester doesn't have elevators, only stairs. I wish we'd known this when we got there as hauling our luggage up the steps was difficult. Luckily, we found Londoners to be extremely friendly & kind so a gentleman helped me with my larger bag.

Sainsbury, a local grocery store is only a few blocks away. Although their large sign says 24 hrs, they usually close around 10 pm expect on Sundays when they close at 5, much to our surprise. There's an excellent Italian restaurant on the north side of Conway on your way towards Gloucester - can't remember the name. We never tried Lorenzo's due to the bad reviews on here. We ate many times at Patissiere right across from Gloucester. The people were nice & the food was good & reasonably priced. They serve breakfast, lunch & dinner - fish & chips, pasta, & such. Oddly enough they also have an Asian restaurant downstairs where the bathrooms are, but we never ate down there.

The hotel wasn't the nicest I've ever stayed in, but the price was good - booked on Expedia - & it was nice enough that I'd certainly consider staying there again on our next visit. We loved London! Hope this helps!

Comments