Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel

31 - 36 Leicester Square, London, WC2H 7LH, United Kingdom

Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Radisson Blu

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Very Disappointing Hotel!

We spent a most disappointing six days at the Radisson Edwardian at Leicester Square in London, a well-regarded luxury-class hotel. We consider ourselves hardy travelers, so we were not dismayed by the well-kept secret of massive construction (going on for months already in May, 2011 and scheduled to end in a year, summer of 2012) right outside the rooms' windows (literally, about 20 feet). Nor were we particularly dismayed by the lack of the usual amenities in what was billed as a top-rated hotel. But, these things, in descending order of importance, were things that seriously diminished our enjoyment of our trip: the "junior suite" is not a suite at all, just a mid-sized terribly average hotel room; horrible food in the hotel restaurant, particularly the breakfasts (pre-paid in our case) which were -- in a word -- inedible; off-again on-again WiFi, off more often than on and no assistance to be had, a ridiculous deficiency in a hotel chain that caters to the business traveler; and front-desk staff utterly incompetent, no matter the hour or the shift: could not arrange for a day-tour to Stonehenge, could not honor and deliver on a wake-up call request, could not provide accurate directions to anywhere outside the hotel, could not order a taxi, could not accept a delivery of merchandise while we were out, could not, could not -- or was it would not? -- as to any normal traveler needs or requests. Add insufficient lighting in the room to even read, and a mattress so soft I still have back trouble from our week, and the bottom line is that we won't stay in anything with the Radisson name on it anywhere in the world again. The staff could not have been more indifferent or unresponsive. It was expensive, depressing, and unpleasant. When we left, we literally felt as if we were escaping. We would have moved to a different hotel at any time during our week, but for an inability to find another availability.

Unique Quality: Indifferent staff, lack of service, miserable inedible food. All for more than $500 a night.

Directions: Leicester Square -- center of London

• L2go's Profile Photo

ignores requests

While the location of this hotel is terrific, a few doors away from the National Gallery, I would not recommend it. We made reservations a year in advance for 2 rooms, with 2 single beds in each. Instead, to our discomfiture, we were given 2 rooms with a single big bed in each. When we reminded the concierge that we had requested and been assured we would get separate beds, he shrugged and indicated we could go elsewhere. For a hotel of this price, that is terrible service, and terrible customer relations!
    We had to have breakfast at the hotel because one of our party was feeling ill. The breakfast cost 17 pounds each--way too expensive for watery oatmeal and some fruit and coffee.

• Djinn76's Profile Photo

Affordable hotel on Leicester square

I've booked that hotel by mistake, I thought it would have been the other Radisson, a bit off-centered.

Being located straight on Leicester square, I was slightly afraid of the rate I would pay. Even more, when I saw the luxurious building and its restaurant! However it occurred it was not the hotel straight on the square but a sister hotel just located a couple of meters further, in a side street.

Even better, unless the great location, the rate was rather cheap for London!

For that price, the room was not too big with a rather weird shape but, even if a bit too green, it was furnished with taste! The bathroom was particularly nice!

I haven't had breakfast but well dinner. That evening, I was alone in the restaurant!! I don't know why, the food was quite good and not too expensive!

Directions: On Leicester Square

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Leicester Square views

I chose this 5 star hotel for a weekend stay in London with my girlfriend.

I originally booked a king deluxe room, however despite arriving at 1530 I was informed that one would not be ready for another 30 minutes. As my girlfriends train was late arriving, we were pushed for time and I had to push on so instead we were moved into a smaller double room. The front of the hotel was being refurbished and only one lift worked throughout the weekend.

Despite all of this, the room was well fitted out and we had a view of Leicester Square (albeit of a large Shrek poster). On checking out, there is a room behind reception where you can store your bags until you are ready to leave for the airport and the receptionist even lent me her PC to check-in for our flight that evening.

Unique Quality: The hotel is right in the middle of the West End and has some good tourist tips on it's website.

Directions: On SE corner of the Square opposite the ticket booth

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

A night in town

This was the first time I had stayed in a Radisson Edwardian Hotel - and i was a little disappointed! They were doing some work in the basement area, and the lift actually went down to the floor only to have the door open on a construction site.

The room was comfortable, but I would make the following comments:

1. The shower was difficult to control - very hot or cold.

2. The television was incredibly small.

3. The mini bar was well stocked but had no chocolate or sweets.

The room service was very good, and the bed was turned down and the curtains closed by the housekeepers.

I would also have to say that, in some hotels I have had to wait to be seated for dinner. This was the first place I had to wait for a seat to have breakfast! The service was slow and well it was not the way to start the day. The good thing is that breakfast finishes being served at 12:00.

Unique Quality: Located in the heart of the central area, it is warm and welcoming and has a good trange of beers and cocktails. There is 24 hour room service and a concierge service. It is a 5 Star Hotel.

Directions: South Western Corner of Leicester Square

• Martman's Profile Photo

Pastoria

I stayed at this hotel about 25 years ago. I was still a kid, so remember very little.
    I do believe we were happy. If we did have any major issues, I am sure I would have remembered that.

I have therefore been to London twice, in 1981 and then in 1999.
    On my second visit, I walked past that hotel and recognized it.
    That is when I took my VT photograph!
    This makes my photograph of the hotel quite interesting:

1)The picture is over 6 years old i.e. it was taken in 1999 and it is 2006 now.
    2)The picture was taken 18 years after I stayed there.
    (That makes it an old and a new picture! It is old relative to the present. It is new relative to when I stayed there!)
    3)I took the picture years before I had a digital camera. Just recently, I had a disk made from the negatives.
    4) From the outside, the hotel looked the same 18 years later.
    The current picture on the hotel website looks exactly the same too.
    This means that the vast difference in years does not affect the pictures anyway!
    I have not been inside since 1981. The exterior, however, seems the same.

More about Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel

Not great but ok

by TripAdvisor Member Emmapi

Stayed at the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel for a weekend in a deluxe room.

The good points of this hotel: the location was great, breakfast was nice and the staff were very helpful over the weekend.

The bad points are that the hotel is badly in need of refurbishment, the old musty smell didn't help matters and the rooms, although spacious, were not 5 star (headboard broken and on the floor when we arrived) and the photo's of the room I had seen online were nothing like what we had.

Overall this hotel was alright but most definitely a let down and not a 5 star hotel. I would not stay here again and for the price of the rooms I would shop around as I have seen the Sheraton on Park Lane for same price as this hotel for my next visit.

One of the Best

by TripAdvisor Member lililon

I have stayed in many hotels in London, AND this was the best so far. The hotel was right in the heart of London and in the Middle of Leicester Square, and in walking distance from everyware. Room was Fantastic and all the staff was friendly and happy to help. I will not bother looking for hotels to stay in London again, I will always stay at this one. I would Recommend this hotel.

Good value

Surprised to see this hotel taking some flak - having stayed in quite a few London hotels in my time, this one's up there with the best. Sure, you could probably get more from a night at The Ritz or The Savoy, but then a night - and breakfast - at The Ritz and The Savoy doesn't cost £150.

For a London hotel, our room was very spacious, with a big bed, lots of room *around* the bed (more difficult to come across than you might think when you stay in London), an interlinking area with wardrobes, and then a sizeable bathroom with a nice marble finish and a big bath to soak in. Importantly, everything was very clean too - right down to the smallest furnishing. As an added bonus, we had views across the rooftops to the London Eye as well.

Check in was smooth and impressive, with a South African chap booking us in quickly and efficiently, and the staff in general were very pleasant. Breakfast was nice too, with trendy decor to go with it. Our one small problem did arise at brekkie, however, when we ordered pancakes with maple syrup, and the waiter brought out three small pancakes each with nothing on them; no syrup, no dressing, nothing. But they soon sorted that out when we asked them.

And it was quiet too. Even though it was on Leicester Square.

Overall, very impressive.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member CarrieHooton

I have visited the Hampshire Hotel (in Leicester Square, London) a couple of times now. It's a five star hotel but very much at the "traditional" end of the market. Verges on a bit dated in terms of the decor - although it is very clean and not at all tatty. The staff are very friendly and the location is great for shopping, eating out and all the usual London buzz. Be warned that the bar is very expensive, as is the restaurant. I am veggie and did not like the one veggie starter that was avail, so I asked if the chef could make me "anything mushroom-ey" He was not able to. Considering this was a chef at a 5* hotel, I found this beyond belief! The food that we did have was very nice but I'd much prefer a trip to nearby Chinatown. Much more ambience, nicer food and not as expensive.

Comments