Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel

Tags

Business Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Luxury Travel
See Amenities

Very Disappointing Hotel!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 28, 2011

We spent a most disappointing six days at the Radisson Edwardian at Leicester Square in London, a well-regarded luxury-class hotel. We consider ourselves hardy travelers, so we were not dismayed by the well-kept secret of massive construction (going on for months already in May, 2011 and scheduled to end in a year, summer of 2012) right outside the rooms' windows (literally, about 20 feet). Nor were we particularly dismayed by the lack of the usual amenities in what was billed as a top-rated hotel. But, these things, in descending order of importance, were things that seriously diminished our enjoyment of our trip: the "junior suite" is not a suite at all, just a mid-sized terribly average hotel room; horrible food in the hotel restaurant, particularly the breakfasts (pre-paid in our case) which were -- in a word -- inedible; off-again on-again WiFi, off more often than on and no assistance to be had, a ridiculous deficiency in a hotel chain that caters to the business traveler; and front-desk staff utterly incompetent, no matter the hour or the shift: could not arrange for a day-tour to Stonehenge, could not honor and deliver on a wake-up call request, could not provide accurate directions to anywhere outside the hotel, could not order a taxi, could not accept a delivery of merchandise while we were out, could not, could not -- or was it would not? -- as to any normal traveler needs or requests. Add insufficient lighting in the room to even read, and a mattress so soft I still have back trouble from our week, and the bottom line is that we won't stay in anything with the Radisson name on it anywhere in the world again. The staff could not have been more indifferent or unresponsive. It was expensive, depressing, and unpleasant. When we left, we literally felt as if we were escaping. We would have moved to a different hotel at any time during our week, but for an inability to find another availability.

Unique Quality: Indifferent staff, lack of service, miserable inedible food. All for more than $500 a night.

Directions: Leicester Square -- center of London

L2go's Profile Photo

ignores requests

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 10, 2009

While the location of this hotel is terrific, a few doors away from the National Gallery, I would not recommend it. We made reservations a year in advance for 2 rooms, with 2 single beds in each. Instead, to our discomfiture, we were given 2 rooms with a single big bed in each. When we reminded the concierge that we had requested and been assured we would get separate beds, he shrugged and indicated we could go elsewhere. For a hotel of this price, that is terrible service, and terrible customer relations!
We had to have breakfast at the hotel because one of our party was feeling ill. The breakfast cost 17 pounds each--way too expensive for watery oatmeal and some fruit and coffee.

Djinn76's Profile Photo

Affordable hotel on Leicester square

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 28, 2009

I've booked that hotel by mistake, I thought it would have been the other Radisson, a bit off-centered.

Being located straight on Leicester square, I was slightly afraid of the rate I would pay. Even more, when I saw the luxurious building and its restaurant! However it occurred it was not the hotel straight on the square but a sister hotel just located a couple of meters further, in a side street.

Even better, unless the great location, the rate was rather cheap for London!

For that price, the room was not too big with a rather weird shape but, even if a bit too green, it was furnished with taste! The bathroom was particularly nice!

I haven't had breakfast but well dinner. That evening, I was alone in the restaurant!! I don't know why, the food was quite good and not too expensive!

Directions: On Leicester Square

clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Leicester Square views

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 31, 2007

I chose this 5 star hotel for a weekend stay in London with my girlfriend.

I originally booked a king deluxe room, however despite arriving at 1530 I was informed that one would not be ready for another 30 minutes. As my girlfriends train was late arriving, we were pushed for time and I had to push on so instead we were moved into a smaller double room. The front of the hotel was being refurbished and only one lift worked throughout the weekend.

Despite all of this, the room was well fitted out and we had a view of Leicester Square (albeit of a large Shrek poster). On checking out, there is a room behind reception where you can store your bags until you are ready to leave for the airport and the receptionist even lent me her PC to check-in for our flight that evening.

Unique Quality: The hotel is right in the middle of the West End and has some good tourist tips on it's website.

Directions: On SE corner of the Square opposite the ticket booth

gordonilla's Profile Photo

A night in town

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 27, 2007

This was the first time I had stayed in a Radisson Edwardian Hotel - and i was a little disappointed! They were doing some work in the basement area, and the lift actually went down to the floor only to have the door open on a construction site.

The room was comfortable, but I would make the following comments:

1. The shower was difficult to control - very hot or cold.

2. The television was incredibly small.

3. The mini bar was well stocked but had no chocolate or sweets.

The room service was very good, and the bed was turned down and the curtains closed by the housekeepers.

I would also have to say that, in some hotels I have had to wait to be seated for dinner. This was the first place I had to wait for a seat to have breakfast! The service was slow and well it was not the way to start the day. The good thing is that breakfast finishes being served at 12:00.

Unique Quality: Located in the heart of the central area, it is warm and welcoming and has a good trange of beers and cocktails. There is 24 hour room service and a concierge service. It is a 5 Star Hotel.

Directions: South Western Corner of Leicester Square

Martman's Profile Photo

Pastoria

by written on January 31, 2006

I stayed at this hotel about 25 years ago. I was still a kid, so remember very little.
I do believe we were happy. If we did have any major issues, I am sure I would have remembered that.

I have therefore been to London twice, in 1981 and then in 1999.
On my second visit, I walked past that hotel and recognized it.
That is when I took my VT photograph!
This makes my photograph of the hotel quite interesting:

1)The picture is over 6 years old i.e. it was taken in 1999 and it is 2006 now.
2)The picture was taken 18 years after I stayed there.
(That makes it an old and a new picture! It is old relative to the present. It is new relative to when I stayed there!)
3)I took the picture years before I had a digital camera. Just recently, I had a disk made from the negatives.
4) From the outside, the hotel looked the same 18 years later.
The current picture on the hotel website looks exactly the same too.
This means that the vast difference in years does not affect the pictures anyway!
I have not been inside since 1981. The exterior, however, seems the same.

Nearby Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Camden Town, Lock and Market
Public Buses
Taxis
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Driving in London
Eating, Drinking and socialising
The Thames
Cafe in the Crypt, St. Martin in the Fields
Restaurants
Public Transport (not taxis)
London Dungeon