97 Great Russell Street, London, WC1B 3LB, United Kingdom

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• CarolynShort's Profile Photo

Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth...

Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel

Unique Quality: Great Location, expensive (but I was there on company business!), expensive (but nice) breakfast. My single room was tiny, but had a nice view onto the street, and service was top standard, as you'd expect for the price.

Directions: Great Russell Street. Very close to British Museum and Oxford Street. 5 minutes walk to Convent Garden and Leicester Square.

More about Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel

Nice room, staff pleasant reasonable value

by TripAdvisor Member NHamptonTraveller

I booked in to an executive double room (410). Room was nicely decorated and had one of the most comfy beds i've stayed in. Despite a checkout facility via the TV every time i tried this it failed. Room service was not too bad, they estimated 25 mins however it took 45, and the menu was very limited 4-5 dishes for starter main and pudding. Room was quiet which i was concerned about as its on a major ldn road. This may have been due to it being on the 4th floor. All in all not a bad hotel, but nothing really special either. Reception was efficient, however no help offered with bags. One thing i didnt like was the soap dispensers in the bathroom. When you're paying 100 pounds+ a room a night surely its not too much to ask to provide a bit of soap?

Service ! hello?

Most disappointed by the poor service offered at reception. We have ccomplained to Radisson and strongly suggested that they review their staff training methods. Complete indifference and lack of interest seemed to be the order of the day and we were given the distinct impression that anything we asked for was too much trouble for the staff on duty which included the porter and duty clerk too busy talking to each other.

As a London tourist guide and Travel journalist, we simply will not accept this practise which is ruining this hotel's reputation and is more reminiscent of hotels in the former soviet union times.

We hope that Radisson's response will put this hotel back on track

good bad and ugly

by TripAdvisor Member hamcan

Just returned from 8 nights over Christmas as the Kenilworth. Booked a Deluxe Double lastminute with Lastminute and paid 98 pounds per night incl VAT. given the price and location of the hotel I suppose I cannot really complain despite the serious problems this hotel has with some of its staff and customer service.

Upon checkin I was told by the front desk attendant (Alyssa?) that my 'request' for a king bed in a deluxe double was not assured. I produced a printout of the reservation confirmation, including a description of room/bed type (from the Radissons own web page)She smiled sweetly and proceeded to check us in.

We went up to our room on the first floor. She had given us a standard double with dirty, torn carpet and a microscopic bed and bathroom. Individuals on the second level of the double decker buses outside had a good view into our room.

I went back down to reception and explained the situation to a trainee who agreed to contact his manager. The woman who booked us in had vanished. The following day we were moved into a more comfortable room. Still no king bed (as advertised) but never mind.

Christmas dinner we had reservations at a nice restaurant in Mayfair. We called reception to ask for a taxi. When we arrived at the lobby we found they had arranged a mini cab. Minicabs are NOT black cabs. they rarely know where they are going and pretty much charge what they want. Having lived in London I knew this. As we were already running late we agreed to take the mini.

It took almost 30 minutes of circling until finally I directed the driver to our restaurant. He insisted it was on Park Lane despite my having a business card to the contrary. This cost us 20 pounds. On our way home we took a black cab. This cost us 10.60, took less than 10 minutes and caused us zero aggravation.

When we checked out, our mini bar tab was wrong. They had failed to charge us for beer we had taken. Not wanting the housekeeping staff (who were very friendly and almost made up for front desk staff) to pay for this oversight, I brought it to the receptionists attention.

He then asked us if we need a taxi and proceeded with (you guessed it) the mini cab hardsell. He assurred us that it was about the same price as taking a Black cab and the Heathrow Express from Paddington. he misquoted the price of the express train in an attempt to sway us. Given that it was approaching lunch hour as we were leaving it would have also taken much longer on congested roads than aboard a high speed train. Even assuming the minicab driver knew where to go.

London is a great place and the Kenilworth is perfectly located within walking distance of many of the best attractions and shopping. There is so much to do you will not have to spend much time in your hotel anyway. This is why we took a chance staying here and did not pay a premium for a better hotel.

Be warned however that you may have to battle for what you want (or are already entitled to) and check your bills. Avoid the mini cabs that they will try to sell you and opt for professionalism and security that you are assured if you travel by black cab. better yet save some cash and buy a travel card!

Across the road is a very cool turkish restaurant and there is a lovely cafe doing great breakfasts for 5 pounds (versus the 17 pounds charged by the hotel)

Enjoy London!

Very positive experience

We booked this hotel despite reading some of the rather negative comments that had been posted as we got a very reasonable deal from lastminute.com for New Year's Eve.

We booked a "Deluxe Double" room and this is exactly what we got. King size bed, quiet (facing interior courtyard), clean, good bathroom and the room in general was a good size for central London and tastefully decorated.

We were swiftly checked in by a trainee who was polite and efficient. All other contact with staff was similarly without any cause for complaint.

Location was excellent as others have mentioned. Based on this experience we would definitely stay again.

n.b. breakfast at £16.50 is overpriced. There are plenty of cheaper and superior breakfast options in the vicinity.

Loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Philomela

this hotel was basically a delight. the room was small, but no problem. guests in hotels only sleep in their rooms and spend most of the rest of their waking hours NOT in their rooms.

I especially liked the west view out on to the roof and side of an adjacent building.

Food in dining room was good and hotel was in a wonderful location re transportation, shopping, British Museum.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member red heavy tag

My daughter-in-law and I stayed here for four days and I am very impressed with staff, food and the location. We were only about a block or two from the "tube", and just down the street from the British Museum. There is even a Starbucks just down the street across from the museum. The staff helped us whenever we had questions and handled our overseas telephone calls quickly. I would return again. It is for the business traveler, but it made no difference in the way we were treated. We were only there for breakfast and then left for the day.

Poor value for money...

by TripAdvisor Member UnpredictableLips

I've stayed in this hotel a few times now, and have not yet had a 'great' room/experience.

Best so far was an average sized bedroom with a good sized bathroom combo, but the bedroom window looked out onto a brick wall and the room was heated to about a zillion degrees.

Worst so far was a tiny room in which the queen-size bed took up practically every bit of room (there was a dressing table at the foot of the bed, and you sat on the end of the bed to use it instead of on a stool - that's how tight it was....) This room had a tiny bathroom to compliment it - no bath, just a shower, and a small handbasin with no shelf (had to put my toiletry bag on top of the loo cistern just under the heated towel rack, and my lipsticks melted...)

Another observation I would make about this hotel is that the TV reception is, without exception, rubbish - if you like to view your programmes through a haze of interference, you'll love it here. Also, I've found that the rooms are almost always too hot.

Bar is okay, but a bit pricey (but, hey, it's London...) and bar service is excellent. Breakfast has always been good, but, again, probably a bit more expensive than some other local options.

There is another Radisson hotel directly accross the road from this one, and I reckon the rooms are a shade better there. Prices seem to be much of a muchness.

I think the Kenilworth is best suited to the short-stay business traveller (particularly if the company is picking up the tab and value for money isn't so much of an issue!)

Hope this helps.... :)

- Lips

very small rooms

I booked a twin room through lastminute for £75 originally at the Vanderbilt their sister hotel, however when we arrived and went to check in we were advised there was a system issue with some of the rooms and we were advised we are now at the Knilworth. Jorge was very helpful, and polite and we were offered tea and coffee in their bar (he carried our cases through to the bar for us) advising us to let him know when we wanted to go to the alternative hotel and he would order a cab and the hotel would pay for it.

Went to the Kenilworth which has a good location right next to the British museum (which we wanted to see). I must say i noticed the difference in the welcome between the two hotels, the Kenilworth it was indifferent, the receptionists were chatting and continued to chat whilst checking us in. She decided to imform me the cost of the room was £190 , which as i had already paid was a tad insulting.

The rooms are tiny, the beds were small singles. the bathroom was tiny and contained a bath which is deep and half the normal size. the shower head was mounted too low and had to be used by hand which is hard when washing your hair. the room was freezing when we arrived, took ages to warm up and was noisy, we then couldnt switch it off.
the check out time is 11 not 12pm as stated.
all in all location is great for shopping (nr covent garden, regent street, oxford street), and nightlife esp soho.
for location and price it was good, able to walk back from bar in soho to hotel. wouldnt pay top wack for it though

Dissapointed

Booked and paid through Lastminute a Deluxe Double Room but only standard actually booked? this was changed as it had been paid for. Was in Room 105 above this is 207/208 inconnecting suites with a wooden floor and think the occupants spent the two nights scrapping chairs and in high heels!! no sleep at all.
Rooms very small but nice and clean. bar staff not too friendly and asked for coffee about 11pm was told stopped serving at 1030pm observed them serving Hot choclate etc and was told this is made fresh and not from machine! Excellent location for attractions etc.

Comments