Radisson Edwardian Marlborough Hotel

Radisson Blu Edwardian Bloomsbury Street
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Radisson Blu

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Radisson Edwardian Marlborough Hotel

Electrocution... No Heat... at a 4-star hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member MichelleSF12

Awful.

When I arrived, I was offered a room upgrade. I decided it was a decent offer. How wrong was I...

My room had no heat. I discovered a leak coming through a light socket in the shower... while I was in it!!!! Asked room service three times over a period of three days to clear out the mini-bar with no success. Finally had to go directly to the concierge to have him send someone up immediately to take care of it. Had multiple line item charges on my bill because of the above-mentioned mini-bar fiasco. No communication happening between day shift and night shift. Oh, and did I mention, the habit of housekeeping of leaving behind dirty dishes... Three days in a row and counting. Please, can I have a clean coffee cup!!!

I still have two days left on my stay here and am very much regretting my choice of this hotel. While the location is optimal if you want to be near the BM, Covent Garden, the service, the staff, the quality of the rooms are not worth the price. I'm in a "superior room" and this has been the worst hotel experience I've had after multiple business trips to London.

If you want a 4-star hotel in the center of London, don't come here.

A London Hotel With Personality!

by TripAdvisor Member RodWebb

London hotels are often overpriced with poor or barely adequate service and whilst this one isn't cheap, it doesn't leave a nasty taste in your mouth when you check out.

The hotel has been completely refurbished and whilst the rooms (like most London hotel rooms) aren't large, these are really very stylish, as are the public areas.

It's also in a fantastic location - a ten minute walk from Leicester Square and literally two minutes from the British Museum.

Check in was friendly and professional. We were offered an upgrade for a 'discounted' rate, which we took - not sure I'd bother next time but Carmen on the front desk was quite persuasive and effectively earnt the hotel an extra £60. :-) We asked for a change of room, because the first room we were allocated was on the front of the hotel and we'd asked for a quiet room when we made the original booking. This was done immediately without attitude and we were phoned later to ensure we were happy with our room. Our 'deluxe' room was very nice with a king sized bed and large bathroom. And although it probably didn't warrant the extra cost (it didn't include a separate shower cubicle, for example) it did come with a lot of the 'niceties' including king sized bed, bath robes, mini bar and safe.

We dined in the restaurant, which (again for London) we thought offered good value for money. It cost about £50.00 per head for three courses with wine, but the food was excellent and interesting. I had the lamb, which comprised beautifully cooked lamb fillets and a mini Moussaka - it was without doubt one of the top three dishes I've eaten this year. (And we do eat out a lot!)

And although breakfast was the standard buffet affair, it was better than most.

The second night we booked theatre tickets on the way back from a business meeting, which left us just 60 minutes to each and change. We ordered room service explaining our predicament and, as promised, it arrived within 20 minutes. Exceptional service again.

As I've hinted, the thing that really set this hotel apart from all of the others I've stayed at in London over the last 10 years was the fact that the hotel seems to have worked hard to find and train staff who are polite, professional and friendly! In fact everyone we had contact with within the hotel was excellent and worked hard to make our stay enjoyable and problem free. Julia who acted as Maitre D on both days was fun and personable. The gentleman who looked after us at dinner was very friendly as were the bar staff too. This wasn't the usual anonymous customer service you get in large hotels - all of these people asked questions, engaged in conversation and showed an interest in their customers. In short this was service with personality, which sadly is all too rare.

This will definitely be the first hotel I consider for future trips to London.

Great Hotel Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member Commando21

Excellent Hotel in a good location, great for theatre breaks.

The hotel has recently been renovated to an excellent standard, bright and airy. The check in procedure was nice and simple with pleasant staff, although one member of the staff struggled to understand simple English, annoying but par for the course in London. Faulty Towers moments a plenty.

The room we stayed in (deluxe queen) was on the first floor and was nicely decorated, ample sized and equipped with everything you'd need, except... a mirror near to a power point which really frustrated my other half as she needed to use her GHD's before facing the world. However being ingenious (and desperate) she managed to unscrew the shaving mirror in the bathroom using nothing but her bare hands and taking it into the bedroom... I would have just rang the concierge who I'm sure would have found one from somewhere!

The wall mounted flat screen tv was ok but had limited channels couldn't even get the news which some people might find annoying. The bed was really comfy big enough for the queen in fact...

The bathroom in our room was enormous with lots of hanging space. Unfortunately though, the bath over flow had become lose meaning water would have leaked onto the granite floor. Fortunately for Radisson I fixed it prior to using the fantastic shower which i could have stayed in all day... if i had the time i would have ! The bath was tiny and shallow which was a real shame as the bathroom was so large and opulent the small bath kind of let it all down.

We didnt bother paying for the breakfast as we thought £17 per head each day was not worth it. Instead we popped around the corner onto Oxford Street and had a full breakfast and drinks for £7 each.

The bar was about average for London price wise, about £9 for 2 small bottles of Magners and the service was what you'd expect in splendid surroundings.

We did use room service one night but after 11pm the menu was a bit limited.
We had a chicken salad baguette and chips for about £10, but it had to be done...

We went to see Chicago which was only a 10 min walk away to the south and very easy to find on foot, Euston Station was only round the corner and about £8.0 in a cab. The nearest tube is just around the corner, Tottenham court road.

All in all we had an excellent stay at this hotel and would not hesitate recommending to a friend, no doubt we would stay there again.

Ideal location for trip to the theatre and close to covent garden.

by TripAdvisor Member hairspraysouthampton

We chose this hotel because of its location to the theatre and found it to be only five mintues away!! Also close to Covent Garden and other
theatres, and Im sure we will stay here again for that reason. Hotel room was very comfortable and clean.

Great hotel, Location & Staff!

by TripAdvisor Member chunky1974

We only stayed one night but chose the hotel as it offered good value and a location just a few minutes walk from Oxford Street & Covent Garden. Staff were very efficient, especially the Concierge. Bar stays open until 2a.m. Drinks are pricey but the norm for hotels in Central London. We didn't eat Breakfast so can't comment on the food. Very sleek and modern rooms. Great showers etc. Would definately stay again!

One blip expertly remedied; will be back

by TripAdvisor Member Fiona_and_Ian

We booked direct through the Radisson website and the rate was reasonable for a hotel of this standard in this great location. We were there for our anniversary and the blip was that the concierge did not supply the flowers my partner had ordered in advance of my arrival which was a disappointment but the desk staff handled it expertly with a complimentary treat from room service.
The hotel has been refurbished beautifully and our room was a wee bit tight but had a huge bathroom. One niggle which might put off light sleepers is the almost constant drone from an air vent in the bathroom; this does not seem to be controllable and might be part of the central air conditioning system.
The staff appear to be expertly trained and the charming young man who delivered our treat was testament to this as was the professional young woman on the front desk who dealt with our complaint.
The location is great and if we secure the same sort of deal again (or better) we will certainly be happy to use it as a base for a London weekend or on business.

We enjoyed our stay immensely.

by TripAdvisor Member montgomery5

We are from Canada and stayed eight days. This was previously an older hotel that has now been totally and beautifully renovated. Our room was bright (lots of windows), spacious (for London standards) and well-appointed including the bathroom with it's contemporary fixtures, marble and glass features. The hotel staff were attentive, cheerful, hard working and very accommodating, even to promptly hailing cabs for us when time was tight. The concierge was very helpful arranging tours, dinner reservations and general advice about London. The morning host in the dining room had us seated promptly and easily attended to any dietary differences. The breakfast was great....fresh, tasty and appealing. It was nice each morning to have 2 London newspapers plus the Wall Street Journal available to us. The housekeeping staff were very efficient however lots of corridor noise in the mornings especially when we tried to sleep late! The front desk staff, while very pleasant, appeared somewhat disorganized and the internet/computers in the business centre were largely inoperative during our stay which was quite inconvenient since we were travelling without laptops (NB: we've since contacted the management about the housekeeping/corridor noise and the front desk/business centre issues and we were promptly reassured that both are now under control). The location is easy walking distance to almost anything in central London...Brit Museum one block away, Covent Garden, Leicester, Trafalgar, "Tate", a multitude of great shops, restaurants and theatre. We look forward to a return visit to London and staying at this hotel.

Nice surprise

by TripAdvisor Member ZMR

was concerned what to expect , but was very nicely surprised with this modern hotel, decent room sizes ( especially for London) and good service. Likely to be rechecking in, especially with good location for Covent Gardens

An excellent place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Omega41_123

We were well looked after from arrival to departure in this very stylishly furnished though still comfortable hotel.
The food was was of a high standard as was the service.

Great location, price and quality!

by TripAdvisor Member futboltraveler

Though the rooms are small (which is expected in London), they were very well decorated, clean, and included all the emenities.

Good London hotel for Christmas/New Year's

by tkeithw

My husband and I are going to London over Christmas and New Year's. I would like a nice hotel/b&b - double bed, ensuite bathroom. I"m looking in the 60 -70 pound range.
I would like something that has a nice atmosphere and is close to all the main attractions.
Any recommendations?

I've heard of that these are good - any comments?
1. Four Season Townhouse
173 Gloucester Place London

2. Lincoln House Hotel

3. Kyriad Princess Square

4. Edward Lear Hotel

5. The Selfridge

Re: Good London hotel for Christmas/New Year's

by robine

We've stayed in, and can recommend, the Selfridge, but I fear it's outside your price range, which is optimistic for expensive London.

Re: Re: Good London hotel for Christmas/New Year's

by tkeithw

Thanks for the advice. I've taken your advice and uped the price a bit.

We really want a very "English" experience. My husband has never been to London. I lived their in college for a semester - of course I was very "college poor" at the time so I'm excited about experiencing London again.
Which do you recommend of the following?

The Gore