Radisson Edwardian Sussex Hotel London

19-25 Granville Place, (formerly Radission Edwardian Savoy Court), London, W1H 6PA, United Kingdom

Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

High hopes dashed at the start of the visit!

I had chosen our hotel carefully, to ensure it was close to underground stations which could get us to where we needed to go over a weekend visit to london to see a show. However, I have to say it was not the best way to select a hotel. The location is somewhat dark and dull - and the rooms are all incredibly small. If you are at the front of the hotel, be prepared for noise from Oxford Street and surrounding areas.

Our first room was 115 - it was very small, at the back of the hotel, very dark and with a view of a wall through a very small window! As I said to the receptionist who checked us in - " it is undoubtedly the worst room I have ever been given in any of the Radisson Hotels I have ever stayed in!" I have stayed in many Radisson hotels. An alternative was given, it was brighter, but yet again very small.

The room facilities are limited, although they have spent money of the decor and of course the B&O televsions in the rooms. No in-house movie channels though!

The breakfast was acceptable, but the kitchen service to replenish dishes was slow - and if you arrive approaching close of service be prepared for meagre offerings. The time for checking out is 11.00 and rather grudgingly I was given a 12.00 check out. You should also note that breakfast and check out times clash. I was advised that they will charge £10 per hour after 11.00 or your agreed check out time to cover their costs.

The hotel has only one rather noisy, and shuddering, lift which is used by both guests and housekeepers. The staff and their trollies do not make way for the guests.

Unique Quality: I am not often as negative about a hotel - however the unique qualities of this one seem to be very poor and not positive - small rooms which are dark with no views; single glazed windows and small bathrooms.

On the bright side, it is located near underground stations and the bed I was in was at least comfortable.

Directions: located close to Marble Arch and Bond Street underground stations

More about Radisson Edwardian Sussex Hotel London

Worst hotel I ever stayed in

by TripAdvisor Member Chicken_Little23

Having stayed in the Radisson Edwardian Sussex hotel last weekend I have to say I would never want to stay in any Radisson ever again!!

The rooms were tiny (and that's being generous!!), the service was awful and the staff were rude!!

We went for a hens wknd and, with 16 of us staying there, not one of us were happy with the hotel. We decided to pay the extra to stay in a 4 star hotel as it was for a hens party and thought it would be nice to indulge but I would have been more comfortable in a hostel...and probably had more room!!

On leaving the hotel the staff misplaced one of my bags and then expect me to pay to have it returned to me. Having spoken to the manager and not being pleased with his attitude I am currently trying to get in contact with the area manager.

Small modern Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sue5

Convenient, small, modern hotel just off Oxford Street. Guy on reception desk was quite difficult to understand but that aside, our party of 6 (3 x double rooms)were checked in quite quickly. Rooms were smallish but not as bad as I had prepared myself for reading other reviews (maybe we were lucky). Decor modern and bed & pillows very comfortable. Pillows were that comfy that I actually took off the pillow case to check the make to find that it actually looked brand new (ie no stains etc)what a relief! Lots of up to date 'electronics' ie Bang & Olufsen TV, electronic 'do not disturb/clean room' system, electronic monitoring of mini bar (careful if you are 'just looking') and all the usual hairdryer, teamaking etc. Bar served drinks until 1am. Check out was simple and hassle free. All in all I would say that the charge they made for the room was very reasonable for a clean, modern, central London hotel and I would recommend it, especially if you only wanted a room for the night or to use as a base. Additionaly you can purchase alot of the items that you have in your room ie pictures, cushions, throws etc - at a (high)price of course.

Break from the Norm

by TripAdvisor Member dicanio10

Having stayed at Radissons around Europe and been quite impressed, I was looking forward to staying at this one and I wasn't disappointed.

Although it was fairly hard to find being tucked away in a side street at the back of Oxford Street, the tasteful and unique decor gave the hotel a welcoming air.

I must have been lucky with the room allocation as I was in 302 which was on the corner and benefitted from a bit of extra space judging by other reviews. The room was nicely decorated in warm fabrics and colours and the bathroom was well equipped, spotless although it was tiny.

The breakfast was good and the staff very friendly and efficient. Equally so the bar staff and the atmosphere in the restaurant/bar was just as tastefully decorated which set it apart from the usual 4 start hotel bars.

Check-in and out was prompt and genuinely friendly, the receptionist even remembered my name when I checked out after just one night.

The location is ideal for Oxford Street, Marble Arch and Hyde Park and although it is situated at the back of Marks and Spencers, the early morning deliveries didn't disturb my sleep. Hard to disturb anyway with such comfy pillows!

All in all, a refreshing break from the normal soulless hotel chains and I will be staying there again when I am up West.

Bad room - ok service

The rooms were, as have already been noted in other reviews, a great dissapointment. The drainage in the shower were blocked, the shower head broken and there were a lot of noise from construction work. The service and breakfast ok.

may be small, but it is central

by TripAdvisor Member therealmurpho

We stayed at the Raddisson Edwardian Sussex for 2 nights at the beginning of July 2006. After reading some reviews I was beginning to question my choice of hotel. I would agree with other comments regarding room size, very small. However the rooms are well furnished (OK, it doesn't take much to fill the space!) including excellent B&O televisions. Public areas are also very well finished. Staff are among the most friendly and helpful I have found in Central London.

This hotels greatest strength is its fantastic location just off Oxford Street. This, together with cost, was our main reason for choosing this hotel. We were in town to see Roger Waters, The Who etc at Hyde Park. Within 10 minutes walk we were in Hyde Park. For those who like a bit of shopping, the hotel is only a 5 minute walk from Selfridges.

In summary I would say this is a great hotel for anyone looking for stylish accomodation in (VERY) Central London. If you like to spend a lot of time in your hotel room (WHY would anyone want to travel in order to sit in their room?) this is not the place for you.

compact & bijou? VERY VERY small

by TripAdvisor Member HEDGIENOG

Hotel was booked for us for a one night stay by a friend. Having read reviews decided to take minimal luggage!! Good decision as the room was possibly the smallest I have ever stayed in. Good accessories - B&O Tv, keyboard, ironing board and iron and Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, good towels, good linen. But too much clutter which, in a small room, makes it feel even more claustrophobic. Velour/fur fabric throws, bolsters, cushions...too much - in the morning we could not move for stuff on the floor!

Staff friendly but could not understand the reception staff who had really poor command of English...multinnat. staff needed in London hotels but they need to be able to speak English also!
Conclusion - ideal business hotel for 1 person, very clean and great bathroom "pod" but NOT for tourists or leisure stay. Try the Berkshire round the corner instead!

Small yet satisfying

by TripAdvisor Member alicia1986

I booked this hotel on Lastminute secret hotels as a Xmas present for my boyfriend. I had read some of the reviews and became a little worried, but after visiting the hotel was pleasantly surprised! To give a more accurate review I will bulletpoint the good and bad aspects of the hotel.

Good Points

1. Speedy check in - very friendly and helpful staff
2. Lovely room (we stayed in a double deluxe) - resembled a small apartment with two floors, the bedroom being on the lower floor.
3. Room service - after a long trip we were pretty hungry so ordered 2 burgers from the lunch menu which were delicious and very filling
4. The surrounding area is great - selfridges is a 1 min walk away and the nearest tube is Bond Street located inbetween all of the other great shops!
5. We had a few drinks at the bar at night and found the service to be speedy and friendly. We were even given complimentary snacks to nibble on.
6.The decor in the hotel is fantastic! Very chic and modern.
7. Maid service was thourough and everyday - very friendly ladies too!

Bad points

1. Most of the staff at the hotel do not speak very good english, so you do have to be quite patient - but we didn't mind
2.The rooms are very small, but do the job! If you are planning to stay in your room for the duration of your stay this is not the hotel for you.
3.Room service and the bar was expensive - but it is what to expect when in London!

I hope this review is of some help. I found the hotel to be overall a good choice and I am pleased I stayed here.

Enjoy your trip!

pleasant surprise

by TripAdvisor Member theshoemaker

We spent 4 nights in London with my girlfriend and chose the radisson sussex because of a good location and decent price. last time we were there we stayed at MyHotel Bloomsbury, which in comparison seemed ridicilously overpriced with a poorer location and £100 more expensive room.

The location was very good, close to Bond St station and another tube station and of course close to selfridges and other places of interested. our deluxe room was decent in size (considering its London) and cozy. Our rate included breakfast which was good.

Really nothing to complain about, everything went as it should and we a had a great stay, will definately consider the hotel next time and suggest it to anyone.

is it a good location in London??

by cosmosuae

Hi,
I have never been to London, can anyone advise if 'Radisson Edwardian Sussex Hotel' (next to Oxford street) is in a good location?? is it close to nice nightlife zones?? is transportation easy at this location??
ThanX
Cosmos

RE: is it a good location in London??

by film

Yes it is, it is very close to a Marble Arch tube station, other large hotels and all the shops on Oxford St. You are walking distance from a few nice places to spend the evening.

Cross Oxford St, walk past the US Embassy and head for Shepherds market check out the little bars and restaurants. Or walk down Oxford St past Selfridges and check out St Christophers Place. Theatreland starts at Picadilly circus so you will need to master the bus and underground system.

RE: RE: is it a good location in London??

by cosmosuae

thanks all for your replies!!

Comments