Ramada Maidstone

More about London

planting combinationsplanting combinations

The Dicken's Inn - LondonThe Dicken's Inn - London

Signage (1)Signage (1)

It's all 3 houses here.. No.12, 13 & 14!!It's all 3 houses here.. No.12, 13 & 14!!

ideas on directions please.......!

by optic

hi, i will be in london probably in july to sit a nursing exam. i will be in town about four days, doing the exam the second day and then having the rest of the time free to see some sights, etc.

this issue i have is where to stay. some work collegues have recommended Russell Square as a base, with cheapish deals for hotels etc, and it sounds good to me, but the exam i need to sit is in 190 High Holborn London WC1V 7BH and i just want to find out how close (or not) to russell square this is. i will prob need to beging the exam say about 9am, so im thinking for times for travel, can i take a cab, or what tube will i take? im a total london virgin lol so really not very clued up at all.....

thanks in advance for any replies.....x

by planxty

Russell Square is ideal for High Holborn, you can walk it. Anywhere in that area or with "Bloomsbury" in the address will be great.

If you need any further advice, send me a VT mail and I'll try to help.

hope this assists,

fergy.

by planxty

I should have added, to give you an idea, it is approximately one kilometre.

by puerto_lover

This is where Google Maps is so useful. If you open it (I use the one based in UK but any will do) http://maps.google.co.uk/

and insert your exam address you can see the location easily enough.

Then at the end of the address you can add : HOTELS
and then the map can show hotels on the map.

For example there is a TRAVELODGE in nearby Drury Lane which could offer lower prices if booked and paid for in advance ?

But there are many places and depends on your budget of course. Nearby Russel Square has several hotels. One chain based in Russell Square is Imperial Group:

But there are more ....

All within walking distance ...no need to bother with tube or bus on the exam day.
By the way - Good Luck for your Nursing plans.

by hawkhead

Also, I imagine your train will come in to King's Cross and you can easily walk to the Russell Square area from there.

by optic

hi everyone thank u all so much for ur quick replies, u have put my mind at ease, i had tried looking at the maps etc, on mapquest, but it wasnt very helpful, and i was just scared i was gonna screw up and book something miles away without realising, so thanks again, london here i come lol!!!

Travel Tips for London

You Need to See to Believe It Here in London

by petersmith53

Staying in London was an out of the world experience. I had heard several times about the beauty and the splendor of this great city in England, however, the mere reviews of the place could not convince me much. It was when I and my friend decided to visit London and experience the actual load of attractions that the city has stored in for us.

In order to enjoy a luxurious stay anywhere you go, it is important to select the best accommodation there. This is what we did for our trip. I am delighted that my friend took the decision to stay at Grange City Hotel, one of the most prestigious London hotels situated in the heart of the city. This 5 star hotel in London is situated at a stone’s throw from Tower Hill tube station. This eased down our hassle of traveling from one place to another. The hotel offered us a serene stay in the capital with magnificent facilities and awesome quality of services.

The best was the experience of staying in the hotel itself for one whole day. We decided to relish the several facilities of the hotel like gym, swimming pool, sauna and spa inside the hotel. Thereafter, next day we moved out to explore the city we had heard a lot about. We had a great time at the London Eye and Tower Bridge. Though a bit away from the hotel, the great London attractions we enjoyed included Buckingham Palace. Westminster Abbey was something that we knew because of Wordsworth’s poetry during high school and it was great fun watching it in real.

Other fascinating features of the city are it’s never ending theatre shows and restaurants and bars in London. Though we had a great breakfast in the hotel and everything that our taste buds could think of was right in front of us every morning, still, we did not miss the chance to savor the flavors of the street restaurants spread all over the city.
In other words, I am convinced and can surely convince anyone to visit London at least once in their life.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckingham_Palace
http://www.visitlondon.com River Themes
Buckingham Palace

London is not a city designed...

by roger_b

London is not a city designed for the modern day motor car. It has an excellent underground railway system that can move you rapidly from one destination to the next.There are travel cards that can be purchased for 1 3 5 or 7 days. These are better arranged before you leave for home. I have visited London many timesso it is hard to single out a single memory. I'll suggest it was 'The Trooping Of The Colour' A 2hour ceremony to mark The Queens official birthday. A magnificent pageant. You need tickets,and this would need to be done well in advance.The dress code is ( for men )Suit collar and tie.Also as security is tight leave plenty of time to get there.There are also 2 rehersals which may be easier to get entree to.This is a great spectacle that only the British can master.

Tower of London

by dvideira

The Tower of London is the oldest palace, fortress and prison in Europe. The great fortress was created by William the Conqueror. The site he chose was the same one on which Claudius, the Roman Emperor, had built a fort more than a thousand years earlier; traces of the Roman wall can still be seen in the Tower.

The Tower of London has protected, housed, imprisoned and been for many the last sight they saw on Earth.
It has been the seat of British government and the living quarters of monarchs ... the site of renown political intrigue, and the repository of the Crown Jewels ... It has housed lions, bears, and (to this day) ravens ... not to mention notorious traitors and framed members of court, lords and ministers, clergymen and knights. The Tower of London houses a collection of Jewellery, displayed for the public. It is a practice introduced by King Charles II who wanted to impress his subjects. The collection includes the Imperial State Crown, covered with no less than 3250 splendid precious stones. It was made for Queen Victoria for who the 2.2 kg weighing St. Edward's kings crown was too heavy. Another must-see collection in the Tower of London is the Royal Armories. This museum can claim to be the oldest museum displayed in England. The collection includes the armories of king Hendrik VIII, one of the largest armories in the world. The Royal Armories also include Asian and Islamic weapons, among them an elephant shield, confiscated in 1757 in India.

Camp London

by phil_uk_net

Maybe this type of thing only happens to me? I was walking along Whitehall, past Horseguards Parade, when I noticed some kind of ceremony going on. Of course, camera in backpack, I stopped in.
I found myself a little vantage point but it was a good 10 minutes or so before I realised I was standing next to the campest guy in London. He really was like a Dick Emery character (only UK readers of a certain age will understand that last comment). He spoke to me and told me that he had been a regularly visitor there for 30 years. Naturally, he asked me if I was gay but I had to disappoint him.
After the ceremony had finished I was amazed that he knew all the soldiers. All these 6'3" macho guys knew him and spoke to him. He tried to arrange to get in the barracks that night but I don't think he was successful.
He liked having his photo taken though and I need to send the originals to his home address, which he gave me.

Zebra Crossings Are Not A Right Of Way

by luke850

In London we have zebra crossings for pedestrians. A common mistake that tourists make is they think that they have the right to just walk across whenever they want and the cars have to stop. This is not the rule. The driver is NOT obligated to stop for you if you haven't yet stepped onto the crossing, it is at his/her discretion. If you are already on the crossing when h/she approaches, they are supposed to stop for you. But remember, the driver might not see you. Be vigilant and you'll be okay.

Comments