Ramsees Hotel

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 21% more and rated 40% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Ramsees Hotel

Great location, but noisy noisy noisy

by TripAdvisor Member leafgirl

The hotel is located closed to the Earl's Court Metro station in London, in the Kensington/Knightsbridge area.

The hotel has been refurbished and my room was actually quite pleasant. I had a large double/queen bed, nightstands, a couple of chairs, a desk and a flat screen tv mounted on the wall.

The bathroom had a tub/shower.

The room had a portable a/c unit, which had a hose that needs to be hanging out the window in order to operate.

The room and hotel were both very clean. I had fruit waiting in the room when I checked in. Check-in was smooth, although the remote control in my room was missing and a new one had to be located. You hotel pass card has to be installed in an outlet on the wall when you are in the room in order to operate the lights.

The porters were all very nice. Most of the front desk staff was competent, but there were exceptions to that rule. At one point, I thought the gentleman was going to check me out when I was asking for the whereabouts of a courier delivery.

The location of the hotel is great - one block from a major metro station (with easy access to Heathrow). There is a Marks and Spencer Simply Food nearby, along with a Boots Drugs, several small grocers and various cafes, restaurants, pubs and fast food outlets. There are a lot of internet cafes in the neighbourhood as well.

The bad/hideous/awful: the hotel is right beside the train line. There is never a moment of quiet from 5am to 2am. The trains go by every two minutes, and I am not exaggerating. I was so exhausted from sightseeing every night that I was able to sleep right away, but if you are a light sleeper, beware. It is very noisy. my understanding is that I had a larger room but was facing the train. If you face the street, the room is a lot smaller, but quieter.

Would I stay here again? Not sure. Maybe if they move the train tracks?

Avoid Like The Plague!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Nomeus

Well, first of all, NEVER EVER EVER book a room in this piece of junk.

Now that that's of my chest let's give this "hotel" a thorough runthrough.

The good points:
- great location. Close to subway, busses, shops, restaurants etc
- nice LCD tv

The bad points:
- there is a subway practically driving through your room
- this happens about once a minute
- and this happens from 5am till 2am
- your room (front or back) shakes, why? see above
- there is no air conditioning (which they do advertise)
- oh wait! there is a portable fan, ask them to put one in your room before you board your plane as it will take them about six hours to complete this task (and yes, it's loud)
- rooms are very warm (no matter the temperature outside)
- frontdesk staff are not interested and sometimes even plain rude
- there is no safe in your room (which they do advertise)
- bedsheets were dirty

After complaining about the noise and heat we were moved to the basement (!!!), aparently the only room left. Room (or is it walk-in-closet) 001 has no bath, a window that opens about 1 inch (be sure to get that fan!!!), no walkingspace. The piece de resistance is the bathroom where you have to lift your right leg over the sink to be able to sit on the toilet.

There's probably more wrong with this hotel then I can think of at the moment but this should be sufficient for all of you that are still thinking of booking a room after reading all the "praise" from the other victims.

Simply the worst hotel experience in our lives...

by TripAdvisor Member GRDL

Imagine for a moment the unpleasant discovery when arriving at the Hogarth... The hotel you reserved isn't the hotel you saw in the pictures on its own website... Rather, it's the rather dumpy establishment across the street.

Next, one makes another discovery. At that rather dumpy hotel across the street, the amateurish staff tells you that, no we don't have a room for you, despite the fact that you show them your reservation, along with proof that you've even paid for it.

After waiting two hours for them to shuttle you to a different hotel across town, they tell you that the hotel ACTUALLY HAS A ROOM... Wait, haven't you been waiting here for two hours because you don't have a room?... Which is it??

Soon, you begin to understand why they avoided putting you in the room they had all along. They hadn't finished renovating it... And did I mention the ugly stains on the bedspreads?!

And soon it hits you... the matter of the Tube trains rumbling by right outside your window.... which you had to keep open, because the main thing they hadn't yet installed (but was promised) was air conditioning...

After spending a thoroughly awful and sleepless night at their so-called inn, they transferred us to the hotel across the street -- yes the one in the pictures... where we had a halfway decent sleep, but not before our first day in London was spent sleepwalking around town, all thanks to the Hogarth...

I implore you... Don't just avoid Hogarth, but also avoid any hotel in London that's managed by the same group... That would include the Shaftsbury Kensington across the street (the one that says Hogarth in the pictures...)

Stay away - stay far far away

by TripAdvisor Member kojak_ny

I booked this hotel after reading that it was brand new and affiliated with the Shaftesbury hotels, which had decent reviews elsewhere.

The Hogarth was just awful.

First, I arrived at the hotel around noon. My room wasn't ready so I left my bags and went out. I got my second wind after my jetlag and didn't return until near midnight. They were at a loss and couldn't find my room. I had to wait for about 30 minutes while watching the person frantically call several people to figure out what he needed to do.

By that time, the subway trains stopped running so I slept soundly, until 5am when the room started to rumble. No need for an alarm clock here.

The next day my wife asked to have our room changed. They moved us to the front of the hotel but while we weren't on top of the tube lines, we still felt a rumble and heard the muffled sounds of the train. Then, we found ants on the desk and in the trash can. When we brought this to the attention of the front desk, they could not offer us anything - the other rooms were occupied. We didn't trust them to spray the room, so my wife and I just kept on squashing ants whenever we could...

Upon departure, they had difficulty checking us out because of the room change - they did not know which room the charges were billed to. It took almost 30 minutes for them to determine what to charge us.

Yes - it is a decent location, but there are far far better options than this one.

OK for the price

by TripAdvisor Member 17.london

I stayed at the hogarth fro one night and it was ok, the rooms are done up really nicely and everything looks quite new. The room we stayed in was on ground floor and it had AC, the room wa small to other hotel i have seen in london it is quite difficult at time if 2 poeple, however not big problem, the bathroom was all new and very clean as was the room.

i think that the hogarth make of had some problems but seems they are getting better, in terms of the train noise this was very small you could hardly tell in our room and no problem with sleeping.

i think for the amount we paid for night £89 at last min booking this hotel was reasonable and i would stay here again.

the worst hotel I have ever seen

by TripAdvisor Member uffauffa

The Hotel is not an Hotel, is most similar to a mouse trap.
As soon as I arrived I found a filthy pizza box in the room, just only one towel, the shower put water everywhere, the manager was a ghost and nobody said me "Hello" during my staying.
If you unfortunately have to stay there bring a oxygen mask with you cause there's not air in the room.
I was there to attend a fair and I couldn't open my luggage ...
the plasma tv was bigger than the whole room,
I told you about the unpolite staff?

Just run AWAY from this hotel(?), I repeat: THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER SEEN!!

MARCO (ITALY)

Never again!

by TripAdvisor Member BaronRed

Nothing new to add to the previous comments though... Wished I had read them before booking! The pictures I saw do not match the reality of this hotel and the staff is just plain rude. We were given a room on the basement and as soon as we got in bed the room shaked as a result of the tube crossing underneath and this happens every 5 minutes!! Asked to be moved immediately, that didn't happen until the next day therefore we lost one night of sleep, when we were given a "matches box" on the first floor.
The worst of all? it wasn't even the cheapest option. There are a lot of better options for the same price

Don't believe the rest I loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member aafranke

I was so worried about staying at this hotel after reading the reviews here so I joined the hotel's frequent stay program just in case I needed leverage.

We arrived at the hotel on Wednesday evening. The hotel is less that a blocks walk from Earl’s court Tube station. From the outside it looked exactly like the photos on hotels.com. A porter greeted us with a smile and my reservation was in order. We arrived in our room and were quite surprised to find it beautifully decorated and very clean (yet small). A Double bed with decorative pillows, a flat panel television and a stunning bathroom. There was a common balcony out onto Hogarth Road that is perfect for any smokers in your party. The small size to the room did limit where we could put our clothes and luggage so don't over pack.

We also had a bottle of red wine awaiting us and a welcome note informing us that our last 3 nights we would be staying at the Hogarth's 4 star sister hotel "Shaftsbury Kensington" across the street.

On Friday afternoon when we moved across the street to the sister hotel our luggage was moved for us while we were out touring London. When we arrived in our room it was decorated in the same beautiful way but it was much, much larger and found our luggage neatly arranged for us.

The staff was fantastic, very friendly and accommodating. The housekeeping staff provided clean bed and bath linens every day. The reception staff was gracious and helpful.

When booking your room you should go to the Hogarth's or Shaftsbury's website and join their frequent stay program. Also book a room on the street side.

I loved these hotels and would return in the future.

Fabulous!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Jackliny

After reading what others wrote about this property, I was very concerned about staying there after my friend booked us a room. However, once we arrived there, we had nothing but a pleasurable experience. Check in was a breeze, the room was lovely and the staff was friendly and helpful.
Upon arrival, we were notified that we would be upgraded to their four star property across the street (Kensington Shaftsbury) due to our concerns over the horrible reviews on TripAdvisor. Once our bags were moved for us as we spent the day sightseeing in London, we arrived in our new room with all our things conveniently layed out for us. Our new room was beautiful and twice the size.
I would recommend staying at this Hotel as it is located very close to the Earls Court Underground Station which makes traveling around the city a breeze.

Horrible

by TripAdvisor Member Inavos

I've arrived at 8:30PM, and they made me pay for the two days stay straight away (300pound). I was wondering why...., at 8:35PM I was in my...room?...10square meters..."railway side" of the hotel with one train passing EVERY minute. The noise was higher than the TV and sometime the room was shaking. At 8:45PM I was at the reception asking for a room change but no were available. I've phoned by company travel agency and at 10:30PM I was leaving the hotel, but they gave me back only 150pound --- funny---they applied the cancellation policy, even if I REFUSED the room.

STAY AWAY or have them write down they will give you a "street side" room....

Hogarth Hotel/Shaftsbury Kensington Earls Court

by clareabee

Has anybody stayed at the above hotel? - there has been a name changed and I think now it is known as Hogarth - just wondered if anybody had stayed there, if so what did you think about it? also what was in the area - incl. any decent restaurants/bars?

Thanks

RE: Hogarth Hotel/Shaftsbury Kensington Earls Court

by londonbabe

Do you have an address for it? Is it on Hogarth Road?

cheers
Sarah

by clareabee

Hi - yes it is on Hogarth Road.

by londonbabe

I've never stayed at the hotel, but it's just round the corner from my apartment :-) Looks OK, and the road is quiet. Very handy for all sorts of places. If you head north up towards Kensington there are some good pubs e.g. The Kensington Arms on Abingdon Road. Head south towards Chelsea and you'll find all sorts of watering holes on the Fulham Road. Nothing very much on Earls Court Road itself, but the chain pizza joints (Zizzi, Strada) are reliable and Masala Zone is an excellent cheap curry house. For an authentic Italian welcome go to Bistro Benitos, just before the Sainsburys supermarket at the north end of Earls Court Road. After Starbucks.

Cheers
Sarah

by clareabee

Hi Sarah, Thanks for that!!!

Supermarket in London

by minnanotabo

I'll be off to London in 2 days and will stay in the Hogarth Hotel near Earls Court. Is there a supermarket or convenient store nearby where I can get water and snacks?

by omisan

There's sure to be a Tesco or Sainsbury's - they're everywhere. Also, there are many smaller markets that'll have whatever you may be looking for - Earl's Court isn't a remote island or anything ;)

If you want, you can punch the hotel's address in at Maporama.com and have it pop up the retailers in the area...

Re: Re: Supermarket in London

by eugene.uk

Do not worry. Earls Court is a very lively area with plenty of shops where you will be able to buy drinks, food, and almost anything you can think of.
Regards
Eugene

by colin_bramso

That's right, Earls Court is a major residential area full of shops. Just wander along the street and you'll find what you want.

by Manara

There's als a 7-11, a few metres from the tube station in Earl's Court Road.

Where to stay this week - HELP

by MDUBYAZ

Arriving Tuesday noon. Looking to spend around 100 GBP/night. The best deals I can find are the following 3 hotels: Hogarth London Kensington, K&K Hotel George , Best Western Premier Shaftesbury hotel. All are under 100 GBP, Hogarth actually 60 GBP. Anyone familiar with these hotels? Would like to book Sunday. THANKS!

Mark

p.s. Any other ideas/suggestions would be GLADLY welcomed.

RE: Where to stay this week - HELP

by zuriga

You can read about all 3 at www.tripadvisor.com. It looks to me as if the second two are nicer than than the Hogarth which had a lot of dodgey reviews.
Good luck.

RE: Where to stay this week - HELP

by pmerryman

Check out the Saint Gregory Hotel, very nice hotel in a nice area. Great reviews on tripadvisor.

Paul

RE: RE: Where to stay this week - HELP

by mrsgabry

Hi,
i have stayed at the K&K George several times. It is a very nice hotel,good breakfast,nice Bar, perfect location, underground station "Earls Court" round the corner, nearby are Restaurants, Pubs, Shops. Also if you come back late at night - nothing to be afraid of. I can highly recommend it.
Hope you enjoy your stay in London,
Gabriele from Vienna