Regent Palace Hotel London

DEFUNCT - Piccadilly Circus, London, W1B 5DN, United Kingdom

• graememooney's Profile Photo

Location, Location, Location

Check to make sure this hotel is still in operation. Sadly, I'd heard they had closed down, but perhaps they have renovated and re-opened....their website states they are closed, but has links to other London hotels.

Inexpensive, great location, friendly staff. Make sure you check all internet sources on pricing - you can find a great deal. This hotel is not for the foo-foo-chique people. It's a place to lay your head, shower etc. and be in the centre of everything. Make sure you get a room on the ground floor inside (overlooking the centre of the hotel - nothing to look at but no noise from the street). This is especially important if it's warm - there is no air conditioning and it can get nastily warm in your room. If you have a first floor room you can open your window (hopefully) and prop open your door for a great flow-through breeze.

Unique Quality: Soho, China town, Theatre district, almost all tourist/historic sites within walking distance. Regent Street (shopping) around the corner. Amazing location.

Directions: Across from Picadilly Tube Station

• citytrip's Profile Photo

Excellent Location for central London & Cheap!

Stayed here on New Years Eve and the location was excellent in centre of Piccadilly Circus, very close to Leicester Square, Soho, very convenient for theatres and visiting sights of London. Excellent value for money, Room was adequate size, had tea/coffee making facilities, towels and continental breakfast provided to your room by a simple phone call and included in the cost. Staff appeared helpful, Rooms ensuite for higher price. I chose shared facilities and found these to be adequate. Facilities were only a couple of doors away. The hotel is very big and has a Harry Ramsdens, an Irish Pub and a cafe inside. Didn't experience any problems with noise yet I probably stayed on their busiest night. Rooms have a tv in but I think you have to pay to view this but for the money I thought it was good value and clean. Furniture may be a little dated but can't complain considering the cost.

Unique Quality: Excellent Location and cheap!

Directions: Picadilly Circus, located just off Regent Street on Glasshouse Street. It's right opposite tube station (Picadilly Circus).

• Great for a Budget

This hotel is for those who are willing to give up a little in the luxury department in order to save a lot of money and be in an excellent location for everything London has to offer. Don't get me wrong, it is not a 20 person room hostel, you do get your own room and in some private bathroom, but you are not going to get 5 star beds, space, or carpets.

I've stayed twice and both times found it the same. Amazingly priced, great location, and hohum rooms.

Unique Quality: Location, plus a nice little bar downstairs. Happy hour is from 5-7 with L2 Drinks.

Directions: Piccadily Circus, you can see it from the center.

• Pod's Profile Photo

great value hotel.

Great stay for less than £30 each per night. clean room and comfy bed. sink and tv plus tea and coffee making stuff. shared shower was not a problem. The staff are curtius and so helpful.

Unique Quality: downstairs theres a Harry Ramsdens fish and chip shop/restaunt. Also one of the best Irish bars in town. not to mension Eros statue is a stones throw away. Cheers bar is around the corner. liecster square and soho is on your doorstep.

Directions: Easy to find even when drunk.

• What a dump!

Avoid this place! It is an absolute dump.

The room I had was tiny and dingy and smelled horrible. The shared bathroom was a mile down the hall and it was a mess. The windows only open about an inch and the room was roasting. There is always a long line at the registration desk. There were lots of shifty people lurking around the place. The door locks are flimsy. I hated it.

• Great location, shame its a dump

Great location, triple room 9th floor, didn't realise in this day and age that en-suites were extra, no toilet. no TV. Three of us didn't shower for weekend, even commual shower was filthy, bedroom walls covered with stains, windows nailed shut, need I go on!. Definitely worst hotel I have ever stayed in,

Unique Quality: If you want to live like a tramp for a weekend this is the place to stay at!

Directions: central

• poons's Profile Photo

Budget Central Accommodation

CLOSED IN DEC. 2006, after being open since 1915.

The Regents Palace was a bit scruffy around the edges, but the location was excellent, right on Piccadilly.
    A variety of rooms available, even multi-bed dorm types if you really want to make your budget stretch.

Whilst I was here we had 4 people sharing a 4 bed room, with a private (tiny) little shower-room, but the water was always hot !

Downstairs in the lobby the have a variety of little shops and cafes, internet access and a very good information desk at hand.

The Hotel bar is the O Callaghan's Irish bar - this is an OK place, but very very busy. We did see a bit of live music here which was fun.

• hudin's Profile Photo

Absolutely Horrid

Never under any circumstances should anyone ever go here. I think they have something like 1000 rooms and while I've only seen the inside of three of them, I would never stay here again. The place is dirty. The rooms are small. The price is reasonable only if you consider that you're in the heart of London, but is crazy when you consider you're staying in a flophouse.
    The ensuite WC is nothing more an airplane bathroom that has been parked in the room. Seriously, take a look at http://www.hudin.com/imaging/121/ if you want to see what it looks like.
    The only reason I stayed here was that one person in my party had a bad knee at the time and couldn't walk very far. Even that was no excuse to stay here as that person ended up taking home a case of bedbugs.
    Stay the hell away!

Unique Quality: It has set the bar for all time worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I hope nothing is ever lower.

• trollmor's Profile Photo

Location, location, location

Again, it's all about the location, I wouldn't stay here otherwise. But, if your looking for a inexpensive place in London with the right location, this is it. Your right in the heart of the city with piccadially right outside the door. You have Leicester square, Covent Garden, Soho, the theatre district, etc. right there. Regent street is right around the corner which brings you to Oxford street for shopping.

Unique Quality: Great location.

Directions: Picadially line to Picadially circus, and exit at # 1. The hotel is right there.

• Linse's Profile Photo

NOW CLOSED

If you want to stay in a good average hotel in the center of London Regent Palace hotel is a good choice. It?s in walking distance to almost all the famous sights in London. There are both rooms with or without a private batroom and you can get smoking or nonsmoking rooms. There are also a small shop, a small coffeeshop, a restaurant and a great irish pub.
    31. December 2006 Regent Palace hotel closed and I have tried to get some information about what is going to happend. On the door to the hotel it just say that it´s closed and nothing else and the same is on the website. People I have talked to don´t know anything either. I hope it will reopen but time will tell :o)

• Dyesebel's Profile Photo

Good location

I'm not really sure if I'll recommend this hotel or not;) The only reasons why I stayed here (twice already) is because its cheap and the location is just perfect!! Rooms are not nice but so what??As long as I have place to stay and it suites my budget;)

Under Renovation

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Don't let the name fool you

What can I say except that you get what you pay for. For about US$80, I got a small dingy room with no bath, no breakfast but a great location. Situated in Picadilly Circus, you are never too far from the attractions. Leicester Square, Chinatown and anywhere else is a 15 min walk or a tube ride away.

Unique Quality: Are you kidding???

Directions: The Charity

• elizabooper's Profile Photo

Busy, but exciting.

The hotel was not bad. It was the first time that I had ever stayed in a hotel that didn't have a bathroom in the room. If you have ever stayed in a dorm, then its the same concept. So it was ok. The room itself wasn't that appealing, but serves its purpose. Bed was hard and uncomfortable, but I really didn't care since I was only there to sleep and shower. It was actually quite hot in the room so I "rented" a fan from the front desk. There was black duct tape on the floor holding the carpet down! This was actually funny because you know what they say, "duct it or chuck it!" Apparently it wasn't bad enough to get rid of yet!
    It was pretty quiet since I may have been the only one down that particular hallway....which meant that I had the bathroom to myself! The only time it was loud was Friday and Saturday when the in-hotel pub had live bands play. Even that didn't bother me since it was all part of the experience of being in London/Picadilly Circus.

Unique Quality: The lobby is nice and clean. Tour companys always come pick you up in this hotel since it is in a great location. Plus there are 3 places to eat in the hotel. First there is a pub, then a fish and chips resteraunt, and don't forget the cafe. Of course, there is always a gift shop for you to spend you money in as well.

Directions: Picadilly Circus (off Regent St.)

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Great Location with an Affordable Price

The best thing about this hotel is its central location! Piccadilly Circus is a great place to stay for seeing most of central London. If you are a theatre lover, all the West End venues are within easy and quick walking distance. The half-price ticket booth (tip under "Things to Do") is only a couple minutes away, which is great if you want to be near the front of line.

This hotel is definitely a "tourist class hotel", meaning that the rates are inexpensive and the facilities are minimal. I would recommend this to those looking to save money without staying in a really dodgy location or hotel. The clientele was quite mixed, especially with a younger crowd (though not overly rowdy). The number of languages in the hotel lobby while I checked would rival the UN. Although they do have ensuite rooms (bath facilities in the room), I stayed in a shared bath facility. The room was big enough not to feel cramped, included a double bed, sink, phone, tv, closet, desk/chair, & table/chair. The bathroom facilities were adequate. The rule was that you needed to call to have housekeeping let you in the shower, but most people let them stay open so it was not a burden. The one or two times I had to call, I had to wait less than five minutes.

Overall, I would stay here again because of the location and price. This is not a place that is falling into disrepair (although obviously worn), but it is certainly not the Ritz either. I took it for what it was and did not expect to be a five star place. The price I paid for seven nights was 318GBP (about $600 at that time).

• Traveldi's Profile Photo

Central but........

I Agree with everyone, very central, very basic, grubby, but it may have changed since I was there.

Unfortunately I had the same experience as another traveller in that may room was broken in to, when I returned you could see that the door had been forced and some money was stolen and the room turned upside down.

Again I had to really go out of my way to speak with a manager, whose attitude was put it down to experience!
    In the end they did let me change room and gave me my second night free, but very reluctantly ( if i had have had an alternative I would have been out the door!)

Not ideal between that and a sink full of weird brown gunk.....not great.

BUT, maybe it has got a lot better, you certainly could not beat it for location and a reasonable rate as a stop over or last minute urgent trip.

Here's hoping it has got better and that if you find yourself there you have a great experience.

Unique Quality: Very Central.

Comments