Rhodes Hotel

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• sangria07's Profile Photo

Unfortunately I Didn't Like It

Initial Enquiries
    My inquiries made prior to and after the booking received fairly prompt response although one took 4 days from the date my email was sent out.

Service
    The service was very warm. Both the proprietors and staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

Cleanliness
    Overall cleanliness is good although I did find the lobby old and shabby. The reception counter was rather cluttered.

Room
    I have claustrophobia issues and found the single room I booked to be too small for comfort especially the en suite. The shower stall is so narrow that there is hardly even room to turn around. I found the water pressure to be weak. Taking a shower was a feat in itself. The worst thing about the room was the sink. It is fitted into a corner and is to tiny that I could cover it with the palm of one hand. To compound the problem, a disproportionately large shelf is fitted right above it so there was no way to bend over the sink fully. I didn't want to swamp the bathroom so I had to wash my face in the shower and barely managed to brush my teeth at the sink. The towels provided were small (just enough to wrap around my sz8 frame) and seemed grimy. I used them nonetheless as I didn't bring my own towels.

I understand that space is a premium in London and I think the room could be comfortable enough simply by putting more thought into the furnishings. It appeared that the fittings were meant for a larger room but squeezed into a single one. How much storage space can one person need right? A mirror against the wall above the table/desk replacing the large shelf would make the room appear more spacious. Ditto the shelf above the sink.

There is full coffee and tea making facilities in the room and one thing I liked about the room was that it had it's own air-conditioning unit so I was able to control the temperature.

Facilities
    They provide a continental breakfast free of charge. Not a large selection but I'm not particular about food as long as it fills me so I was fine with what was offered. Those with more voracious appetites or want a bit of variety can opt for a cooked English breakfast for £3.

There is a computer with internet facilities outside the breakfast room which you can use free of charge. Of course, do be mindful that other guests may wish to use it to. I generally try to keep within a 10-15 minutes limit.

Maps and attraction brochures are available at the reception area.

There are no lifts. My room was on the third floor and there were many flights of stairs to climb. It's not a problem for me but might be for those with mobility issues.

Surroundings
    The location is the best thing about the hotel. It's about 2 minutes walk from Paddington Station and less than 10 minutes to Hyde Park. There is a bus stop just slightly further down the road.

Value For Money
    The price is reasonable by London's standards.

I wish I could say I liked the hotel and found it comfortable but I didn't. Fortunately, I'm out for the most part of the day and needed a place to crash at night so it served its purpose.

Directions: Couple of minutes walk from Paddington Station

More about Rhodes Hotel

wonderful hosts, great small hotel

We loved this hotel! The proprietors, Chris and Maria are lovely people and couldn't have been nicer, or more helpful. They were wonderful to our children as well. We stayed in a family room which was clean and well equipped with a bathtub, small refrigerator and great air conditioning. The hotel is in a superb location - 2 tube stations within a couple minutes walk. Across from beautiful Hyde Park. The breakfast was great, and we got terrific restaurant and sightseeing recommendations from Chris. I recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a great value, clean rooms and warm, personal hospitality.

Nice hotel, good location, great hosts!

by TripAdvisor Member Jonquilles

I stayed at the Rhodes Hotel for 5 days in mid-July. The hotel is in a very convenient location (Paddington station & Heathrow Express - 5 minutes walk), with restaurants & pubs all around. They offer free internet, and a nice breakfast in the morning. My room (single ensuite) was on the small side, but very clean with everything I needed. The hosts (Maria & Chris) are what makes this place so special - they have great advice for everyone and are very helpful.
This hotel is great for its quality-price offering.
Next time I go to London, this is where I will stay!
Cornelia

P.S. There is no elevator, so if you do not want to climb lots of stairs, you might want to mention it when you reserve.

Great location & A/C!

by TripAdvisor Member cboyer

The Rhodes Hotel is in a great location close to Paddington Station with plenty of pubs, eateries, Hyde Park, and tube stations close by. One big plus for my husband and I with this hotel was the air-conditioning. You don't often find it, especially with a smaller hotel. It was very welcome on those warm days that actually do occur in London. Chris and Maria were excellent hosts. We will definitely stay here whenever we come to London. The only downside to the hotel is that there is no lift which could be troublesome for some people who have difficulty with stairs.

Hosts Do Not Get Better Than Chris & Maria

by TripAdvisor Member LuccaMax

My wife and our three teenage children stayed at the Rhodes at the start and end of a 3-week European vacation. The hotel is located in a quiet, attractive neighborhood close to Paddington station. The facilities are clean and ample if not flashy with air conditioning and intenet and a generous and affordable breakfast included. The rates offer solid value and there are rooms that accommodate families.

What makes this hotel extraordinary, however, is the friendliness, resourcefulness and level of attention offered by the delightful proprietors, the married couple-- Chris and Maria Crias. Their interest in making our stay as delightful as possible and their experience, savvy and resourcefulness for finding answers and options and solving problems was amazing to all of us.

If you stay at the Rhodes you will be in good-- and personal-- hands. Chris and Maria make it feel like a home away from home. We can't recommend this hotel more highly.

It was perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member bobrien

We stayed at the Rhodes for 2 nights before going to a large high rise for business. We didn't want to leave our wonderful room with the balcony and jacuzzi, Rm 216. It was delightful to come back and sit outside under a canopy of trees while watching the activity on the beautiful Sussex Garden Road. The bed was more comfortable than the expensive highrise. We were worried about the noise but with the air conditioning and double paned french doors, it was very quiet and comfortable. The bathroom was new and everything was clean, fresh and quaint. We also loved the high ceilings so the smaller room, by American standards didn't feel small. But the best part is true, the hosts are amazing people that truly do what they say, and then some. They suggested a cab that was comparable to the Heathrow Express, but much easier with our luggage. I always worry that it won't be there, which has happened with other trips, but everything was perfect and they even gave us a ride to our next hotel six blocks away so we wouldn't have to carry all our luggage. Maria was so patient with all my questions also, answering each email the next day. I felt like I knew them before we even got there. We also enjoyed the proximity to great pubs, Hyde Park and Paddington station. We missed it so much that we walked back to Sussex Garden to see our balcony again. It was a great stay and the only place in London that we would go again.

Best Small Hotel in London

by TripAdvisor Member marianthelibrarian

I was originally booked into the Regent Palace for my 7-night vacation in May 2006, but reading all the negative reviews on TripAdvisor (especially about bedbugs and mice) sent me scurrying for another place to stay. Frommer's recommended the Rhodes, so I checked out the TripAdvisor reviews and was amazed to see so many glowing reviews. And they were RIGHT!

This is an excellent hotel. From the convenient location, close to Paddington for tubes and the Heathrow Connect (cheaper than the Heathrow Express) and a few blocks walk from Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens; to the clean and comfortably furnished room (there was a hairdryer AND outlet in front of a mirror, if you can imagine that in an older London hotel, plus a real medicine cabinet in the bathroom with a lighted mirror - none of those tiresome glass shelves above a tiny sink so that you splash water all over the floor trying to wash your face); to the small amenities that you'd never find for free at any other hotel, large or small: free internet on a computer outside the breakfast room, or free transatlantic phone calls!

And Chris and Maria themselves are wonderful hosts, full of information and kindly courtesies. Chris cooked us up breakfast several times (without charge), just things he made up on a whim.

My only fear is that so many people will discover how wonderful the Rhodes Hotel is, that Chris won't have a place for me the next time I'm in London!

Location, location, location

by TripAdvisor Member hsnfl1

We spent a week at this hotel. There isn't a better location. Just down the block from Paddinton Station and it had air conditioning. We were there during the hottest days and were so thankful that we had A/C. Very few restaurants have A/C and the tube and busses are not air conditioned. Chris and Maria are terrific hosts. It's a little gem right in London.

The Wonderful People Make the Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Treacle1603

I can't say what I liked more, Chris and Maria, the cleanliness of our room and bathroom, or the fantastic location to tube, train, coffee and dining.

Ok - it's the people. After a long late flight from New York to London we were greeted by Maria. She made sure a clean room was immediately available - even though it was before normal check-in. (I previously stayed at the Marriott County Hall -they did not offer this convenience). Having just used a cash card machine and not having any small currency, Maria made change directly from her own purse. After napping, Chris made a wonderful recommendation for dinner.

Breakfast the next morning was delicious - Chris' omelet secret - olive oil. It was nice to chat with Chris and Maria on a daily basis. They made us feel so very welcome, in a very inobtrusive way, and we looked forward to seeing them everyday.

Air conditioning - ah, that was nice. And the room and bathroom were clean. Well, maybe clean isn't the right word, immaculate is more accurate. Having traveled in my job and stayed in many hotels, I can say with full certainty I've never stayed in a cleaner hotel.

With luggage to lug, it was especially nice to be so close to Paddington. Heathrow Express from the airport and short, easy walk to the hotel. Train station, tube station, so close made traveling around England a breeze.

In the end, it was the little things that really put this hotel over the top for me. Helping me find a certain bottle of Scotch, where can I find a big toy store, and the pleasant chit-chat and stories from Chris.

I'm already making plans for next year - guess where I'll be staying.

Amy Sweeney
New Jersey, USA

It's All True!

I'm always a little skeptical about what I read, but the glowing reviews of the Rhodes Hotel are all true. The location could not be better; Paddinton Station, Hyde Park and good food are all steps away. The rooms are quaint, comfortable and extremely clean. There's no elevator, which is probably good because it gives you a chance to walk off some of the ample breakfast. (Chris usually made a little something special for everyone to taste.) Our bags were carried up and down for us and there are conveniences that the big hotels don't offer like free wi-fi or use of their computer, free direct dial telephone and a frig in the room. But certainly the best thing about the Rhodes is not a thing, it's Chris and Maria. Maria is a fount of useful helpful information about where to go and how to get there. She takes each guest under her wing and treats them as if they are the only one staying with them. She arranged for a car to take us to Heathrow that was cheaper than the tube. Chris is not only an excellent chef but very interested in his guests and the world around him. They make a great pair and together they run a quiet, comfortable and affordable hotel. We were sorry to say good-bye to them and will definitely stay with them again.

Comments