Ridgemont Private Hotel

65-67 Gower Street, London, WC1E 6HJ, United Kingdom

• xoxoxenophile's Profile Photo

Wonderful bed and breakfast!

Of the four hotels where I stayed on my Europe trip, this was by far my favorite. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were small and old-fashioned but well-kept and clean. There is a really pretty garden (with rosebushes and a cute little garden gnome) behind the hotel, and it is in a very nice (and pretty quiet) neighborhood, close to the Goodge Street station.

Unique Quality: The free wi fi worked really well here, unlike in other places, and the breakfast was amazing! It was the same every morning--eggs, bacon (which seemed more like ham than bacon, but was tasty), and either a tomato, a sausage, or beans (these three were on rotation), as well as toast and amazing hot chocolate, fresh squeezed orange juice, tea, or milk options for beverages. We definitely really enjoyed the breakfast and our stay here!

• Very fine, we'll come back there

The hotel is finely located: less than 15 minutes from King Cross station, 5 minutes from British museum, a bit more from Oxford street and the main commercial streets.
    The room was simple but very large with a view on the garden.
    English breakfast was very nice and complete.
    There's free wifi in all rooms and coffee or tea available the whole day in the lounge.
    Holder of the hotel is very friendly, giving us all required information.
    Last but not least: the price is relatively low for London.
    In short: don't look for another hotel if you find a room here.

Unique Quality: - price is low for an hotel in the cenral area of London
    - the smile, kindness and British sense of humor of the holder

• Quaint and Cute

My best friend and I stayed here and thoroughly enjoyed our time. The room we had was small but extremely clean as were the bathroom amenities and the whole hotel in general.
    We had a "front" facing room and didn't find "noise" was a problem.
    The staff were helpful and we enjoyed our big English breakfast every morning. I would definitely go back again.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Bloomsbury and the British Museum

We had a double on the first floor (i.e. one floor up from the ground floor - US second floor) with an ensuite shower for 65 pounds (about $102). The small room looked out over the back garden which was nice and quiet. We had a window that would open but there was no air conditioning. I would think the rooms at the front might be noisy. We had a small double bed (against the wall), a TV, a hair dryer, several shelves, a chair and a wardrobe.

The rooms were cleaned each day and we were given fresh towels. The manager is very helpful with regard to getting show tickets, and the hotel is within easy walking distance of a tube stop, the buses run right down Gower Street in front of the hotel. It is really close to the British Museum. The rate also included breakfast.

Breakfast at the hotel was cold cereal, English bacon which is really ham, a poached egg, OJ, toast, butter and jam, tea and whatever the special item of the day was - either sausage, beans or tomato).

Unique Quality: A few additional pictures of the hotel are in a travelogue.

Directions: A couple of blocks from the British Museum or from the Goodge Street Station.

More about Ridgemont Private Hotel

Top of the league budget hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Oscar_from_Denmark

This was my fifth trip to London and finally I can say that I found a really good budget hotel in this city!

I stayed in 2 different rooms. One was bigger than the other one and on the ground floor while the other room was at the last floor that was smaller but had a bathroom that looked very new.

I could write a very long review but there is no reason for that: Both rooms were very clean and so were the bathrooms , The double bed was very good.

The staff was very polite and helpful and you really feel yourself welcommed

While staying at the Ridgemount I had the same feeling I had in 2005 in York where I stayed at a very charming B&B where I was treated as a guest not as a foreigner that arrived to spoil the peace.

The breakfast was very good and it was nearly plain luxury compearing to what I was used to in my previous visits to other hotels in London.

This hotel has no lifts. My partner was helped with her suitcase and I suppose that if you book in advance you can ask for a room as close to the ground floor as possible

I took a couple of pictures that you are welcome to "study".

It was a splendid idea to book this hotel and personally I'm glad it ranks quiet high in the TripAdvisor ranking.

Highly reccomended!

Great Value, Will Visit Again!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ndmcnu01

Very good location, great access to tubes and buses to easily take you around London. Located within Zone 1, central location.

Very welcoming atmosphere, great hosts! Full breakfast every morning, very accomdating with any requests - directions, must-sees, etc.

Great choice for families or other. Rooms cleaned daily.

Stayed for 3 nights on vacation from US, will definitely visit again. No Complaints!

pleasant stay

by TripAdvisor Member HaLoe

good, central location with bus stop right in front of hotel and underground 3 Min walk
very friendly and helpful staff
small room but very clean, has everything you need for a city trip:
- good matress
- working hairdrier
- shower with constant hot water temperature
- free coffee machine in the lounge
- good breakfast

Gower street can be quite noisy, but noise was OK when we had the windows closed, maybe ask for a back room in summer

our best deal yet in London, we will come back

Great time at the Ridgemount

by TripAdvisor Member KVTravels

My husband and I stayed at The Ridgemount Hotel in May. It was a wonderful stay. The owners are very helpful in giving directions and the morning breakfast was huge and very good. One morning I overslept and got down to the dining room just at 9am. They still allowed me to have cold cereal, toast and coffee. The room was small, but very clean. The shower was very small and an above average size person would have a difficult time getting in, however, the water was always hot with good water pressure. The location was great. Close to New Oxford St. for shopping as well as the British Museum. We even walked to the West End to catch a show. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good budget hotel with a great breakfast.

Great Value, Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member alan_ni

I have now stayed here 4 times which shows how highly I rate this hotel. The location is excellent as it is so central. It's only about a 20 minute walk to Leicester Square. If you don't like walking there is an underground station a very short walk away.

On my last visit to the hotel it was very hot but due to the noise from the road outside we couldn't leave the window open at night. However that is the only negative comment I could make about the hotel.

For such a central location, the hotel provides amazing value for money. The rooms are clean even if the decor is slightly outdated. The breakfast is more than sufficent. Last but not least the owners are very friendly and helpful.

Very happy at the Ridgemount

This was a great choice for a budget hotel for our visit to London. When my mom and I were planning this vacation, she wanted to stay in the Bloomsbury area and I wanted to check out Kensington, so we split our time between the two, and stayed at the Ridgemount for our Bloomsbury time. It was a great choice - clean, reasonalby priced, incuded a full English breakfast, en suite room (that means private bathroom), a TV lounge with free tea & coffee, soda vending, and books to borrow, and a wonderfully helpful staff who really made our stay there pleasant. Internet access is available in the lounge for £1 for 20 minutes. No elevator however, so if steps are an issue, request a room on the ground floor. It's conveniently located to buses, the Underground, shops & restaurants. The only down side to the hotel is that the rooms facing the street get some street noise from busy Gower Street. We were very happy there and would definitely stay there again should we return to London.

Visited it - I was wondering about these top rank reviews...

by TripAdvisor Member nicu

For this price - just OK but nothing more. Small but clean rooms very basic furnished, bacon with eggs and beans plus cornflakes for breakfast, free coffee/tea machine. That's all.
Good located, very friendly staff.
But for my next trip to London I will be finding another hotel (but who knows - may be I'll choose it again...)

Great Location and Helpful Owners

My husband, mother-in-law and I recently stayed at the Ridgemount from July 7-10. Overall, we found our room, food and location to be wonderful for our stay. At first glance, the hotel was clean and very welcoming. It is located on Gower Street, which was busy the Monday morning that we left. It had a sitting area with free tea and coffee, cold drinks for sale, and internet access.

The room was a lot larger than other reviewers made it seem to be. We had a family room (one double and two twins) on the basement floor towards the back of the hotel. We did have to share a bathroom, but with only one other room. The room was spacious and we had plenty of room for our luggage and junk to still walk around. There was a small TV and a fan. The window opened to allow in some air. We had a sink in the room, which was nice since we didn't have an in-suite toilet. The nearby toilet was small (like all that we found), but had hot water and good pressure.

The food was good. The breakfast area was near our room, so we just woke up and got dressed and went to eat. The food is served to you and the menu included a traditional English breakfast. The ham (bacon) was the best I had for our stay in England. The service was fast and the servicers kind.

The location of the Ridgemount is great. There are two stations nearby-Goodge Street and Russel Square. A bus stop is just about a block away, too. Trifalgar Square was a good 15-20 minute walk. The British Museum is nearby, too. There are pubs and stores all around the hotel. We found the owners to be very informative of London. They had binders of information for whatever we asked. They give great directions and opinions about anything you want to do. We were able to buy tickets to a sight seeing tour for discount, so ask them about anything you want to do. They even called a taxi for us for our ride back to the airport.

I think anyone staying at the Ridgemount will be happy with the price, room, food, location and the great service of the owners.

Exactly what I needed

by TripAdvisor Member TuckerCA

This comfortable, basic little lodging house was exactly what I was looking for when I began combing through the massive amount of information available online on hotels in London. I was on a budget, but I still have my standards for cleanliness, safety (no dodgy neighborhood - been there, done that), and comfort. I spent three nights at the Ridgemount Hotel (in two different rooms because of a booking conflict). Since I spent most of the day (and part of the night!) out and about, I really only used the room and shared bath for sleeping & showering, respectively. Breakfast was everything others raved about - amazing toast (how do they DO that?), and enough cereal / eggs / sides to keep you full until lunch. Staff was friendly and helpful but not overly nosey...

Don't book if you expect the Ritz - you're not going to get it for this price. What you will get is a good location near several tube stations, a decent bed (not Heavenly but okay), a solid breakfast, and an enjoyable budget stay in an expensive city.

Comments