Royal Court Apartments

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 42% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• tinyvulture's Profile Photo

clean, basic accomodations

Located next to Hyde Park, it's a block to the Lancaster Gate tube station and a few blocks to Paddington station. There is a guest lounge with a large TV and a pop machine. Our room was on the 2nd floor so we were happy that there was a lift. The room was small but tidy, with a double bed, table, 2 chairs, armoire, and a TV. We had a private bathroom, which is hard to find at this price in London. It had a bathtub too, not just a stand-up shower. The hot water worked fine. There was also a kitchenette along one wall, consisting of a fridge, microwave, range, and sink. Plates, utensils and cookware were in the cabinet over the sink. So, you really can cook in your room if you like!

Our room was a studio; there are also 1 and 2 bedroom apartments if you need something larger.

The floor was uneven and creaky, and the walls were thin. My husband was awakened one night by the snoring of our neighbor. But if you're a deep sleeper (like me) this shouldn't bother you. The window opened, letting in some cool air (a good thing, since there is no air conditioning).

The staff was helpful. For example, when we realized we'd lost our hotel address for the next leg of our trip, they let us use their computer to retrieve the information.

There's no restaurant on the premises, but there are a few nearby. There are 2 convenience stores if you walk north up Gloucester Terrace one block and turn left.

If you want to lounge around your room all day and order room service, stay somewhere else. The TV only gets 4 channels. But you're not in London to watch TV! Royal Court Apartments are clean, relatively cheap, and a nice place to lay your head at night after you've been out exploring.

• mblanco2702's Profile Photo

Worst London Appartment

Just a single night stay. One of the worst hotells I've ever seen. The guy in front desk was unable to speak english! The rooms was like on the serial The Young Ones, old, dirty, poor, bad smell... 75 € was a steal!!

• nealfamily's Profile Photo

A great place if you have kids!

Most of the staff were less than helpful and when they finally did do something, they made it clear they were doing it grudgingly. However, we did have an EXTREMELY helpful and friendly bell hop/jack of all trades named John. He made the hotel much more homey for us and he was nice to the kids. We also loved the location. Within a very short walk of Hyde Park. This offers lots of ways for kids of all ages to expend pent up energy! The hotel is also close to 2 Tube stations, one being the huge Paddington station, and a stop for The Big Bus tour. The hotel is not on a main road so we didn't have a problem with noise. Overall we were very happy we found this hotel as it made our entire vacation more enjoyable.

Unique Quality: You can get rooms with a kitchenette and separate sitting room so little ones can sleep while older ones play and watch tv.

Directions: Near Hyde Park

More about Royal Court Apartments

Royal Court Apartments is home!

by TripAdvisor Member dfpowell

It's graet having kitchen facilities in your hotel room. A microwave lets you sample many curry dishes available in refrigerated sections of markets and a fridge is invaluable. I stayed at RCA for 9 nights in early May 2005. This, my second visit there. There was a mouse in my ground floor room and I was moved by staff to an upgraded, 2 room suite on a higher floor. I'm convinced the mouse was result of all the construction going on in the large lounge. I walked in without reservation and paid about $85. a night. Outstanding for central London! RCA is half a block from Hyde Park/Kensington gardens and the Lancaster gate tube station. half block from food stores, liqour store and a 5 minute walk from the Heathrow Express at Paddington station. I just love the staff at RCA. Good humored, very helpful and professional. I will always stay at RCA.

I found a mouse in my room

I stayed at Royal Court apartments for a week last October. Everything was clean and my double studio apartment was fine and clean, the staff seemed correct and all was ok, but one day I found a mouse on my room while I was trying to relax watching the TV, I don't know if it's ussual in England to find a mouse but I'm Spanish, and for me finding a mouse is really, really disgusting. So I went to the reception in the middle of the night with my pijama to tell them about the mouse situation, and they wasn`t very polite, they kept me waiting for a long time in the reception unlit the manager came, I told him about the situation, and he said very rude "Come on, don't worry! it's only a mouse not a tiger!!" and I told him "yeah, but it's not something that you expect to find in a room that you are paying for!!!" So, they gave me another room for the night in the first floor that they were "redecorating" and the new room was really dump and much smaller and worse than mine. They were really rude with me and the didn't even mention about a discount or not paying the correspondent prize of that night. The next morning they told me that they got rid of it, but I wansn't very sure because everything was in the same place that I left it. Thank god I din't have time to comfirt if the mouse wasn't really there because I got my suitcases and left the apartment the next morning.

Good Deal In London on Budget

My husband and I travel to London frequently on business and pleasure. With the current US exchange rates, one is hard-pressed to find hotels in London that are "budget" in US dollar prices. This property is a step up from a better quality hostel, and is certainly worth it, considering you are two blocks from Lancaster Gate Tube Station, Hyde Park, and a short walk to Paddington Station (the London-Heathrow express terminates at Paddington).
The hotel is a one or two star American rating, but the staff was helpful, and made efforts to have the room clean (even dishes done!) each day. There were rennovations going on when we were there in Sept 04, and the main hallways and some of the drapery/furnishings were a bit run-down. Plentiful hot water in an older bathroom, and towels were clean and in abundance. No breakfast, but you have a decent studio kitchenette (ask for one of the larger studios on the first floor). If you are only used to the larger US chain hotels, you will probably not be comfortable at this site. If you are there to impress clients or friends with opulent surroundings, this is not the place to stay. If you'd rather spend your US dollars on other London attractions, or are on a real budget then consider this a good choice. -D.C., Philadelphia PA

Mouse in the house at RCA Paddington

by TripAdvisor Member coloradogirl6

We stayed for 2 nights in the RCA Paddington Hotel our first 2 nights in London in September 2004. We had booked through research on-line, including pictures. The neighborhood was similar, but I am not so sure the building was. The location was great, close to Paddington, Kensington Gardens, lots of great restaurants in a good neighborhood.
I don't know if the hotel owned numerous locations, was remodeling or what, but the address we had gotten referred us across the street. The common areas and rooms were a bit dingy and run down. Our room had 2 twin beds instead of the one we had assumed we would get. The front desk staff was a bit unapproachable, so we didn't ask for anything else.
I awoke both nights to the sound of a mouse, the first night on the nightstand between the beds, and the next night under the head of my bed! Needless to say I didn't sleep very well after that. I loved the convenience of the location and the neighborhood, but was not sad to leave our room for other accommodations the next few nights.

Lies, the internet lies

by TripAdvisor Member Kushlar

My dad booked this hotel online; the hotel looked nice and so did the pictures, but when we got to the hotel, the lobby was small and dirty and the check-in staff could not speak english properly. They spoke as if they were from france. After we checked in we went to the elevators wich sound like they would break down every time they moved. The corridors were tiny and the carpet was dirty. When we got into our room, there was a smell in it, the floor was not leveled and the room was dirty and dusty. The bathroom was dirty and the fixtures were falling off the wall. The internet said that they had satellite TV, but it was just rabbit ears and could only get three channels. The beds were uncomfortable and smelled. I had to sleep on a fold up bed which every time you moved, the bed closed up. The net also said that it had AC but it didn't. The room was very hot and stuffy in the night and there was a street light right outside our room window. The street was very noisy at all times of night. The next day we moved to another hotel immediately ( named the Copthrorn Thara which was good ).
If you can, try to avoid it.

Avoid 'Royal' Court

by TripAdvisor Member MattB

Found this one on Last Minute Hotels, and the price seemed too good to be true, given the list of amenities, which included a health club, laundry facilities, etc. None of the amenities were there. The room was cramped, not very clean, and very noisy (work crews were hammering by 8 AM each day). The staff was baffled, and often baffling.

We shared our room with a mouse, who did his work at night.

Only the reasonably convernient location, cheap price, and the fact that the room motivated us to maximize our time seeing London kept us sane.

Dont even consider booking it

I ve read a few reviews on the site just before i chose this hotel and all that because someone had a posting "Lies, Internet Lies" i considered booking this hotel just for the price location of it.

Lies internet Lies not always true

Location-wise: excellent, Paddington is 2min away from the hotel which makes Heathrow airport just a 20min ride away (Heathrow xpress). you also have bayswater in front of your legs, hyde park is 30secs walk and Lancaster Gate tube is just there by the corner make it a 1min walk tops.

Cleaniness-wise: disgusting!!! disgusting!!! the room was very dirty. Bitten by fleas daily, towels are changed once during stay but the maids do bother cleaning the dishes in your small kitchenette. However we discovered that our blankets had sperm dried out on them (that means noone actually bothered changing/washing them after the previous occupant)

Luxury-wise: hotel (building) is around 200yr old. Basically its 8 victorian houses stuck together in a way that reminds a maze. At least there are loads of fire escapes so you can be saved when the ceiling falls on yous head. Rooms are in a style that reminds 30's-40's industrial England maybe with a touch of nice Victorian wallpaper which is outdated. Someone please rennovate this hotel NOW!!!

Staff-wise: brilliant all guys are very helpful except the maids that dont speak english at all and the indian/pakistani receptionists that are very hard to understand. However a somalian and spanish girl working at nights are brilliant and extremely helpful. These two were honest to tell us "how in hell did you take the decision to stay here?"

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and i wont even pass the same street ever again.

We had a reservation for 7nights, we made it for four nights till we asked to be moved to another hotel of rcahotels.co.uk which is cheaper, cleaner and is a true 3*** hotel around the corner from the Royal Court Appartments.

I would consider this hotel excellent for backpackers but not for bussinessmen or holiday makers because it will ruin your stay in London unless you want to stay centrally.

Some advice on these hotels please

by AnnieSA

Hi,
I am coming to London in May and have narrowed down my list of hotels to stay at. I can't choose so I'm hoping some of you might have stayed at these hotels and can give me the lowdown.
The hotels are:
* Hotel Notting Hill

Thanks!

Re: Some advice on these hotels please

by mikkie50

hi annie:-) the royal court is a nice hotel what price range are we looking at :-)
michael

Re: Re: Some advice on these hotels please

by AnnieSA

Hi Michael..

Cheap! I was thinking a hostel, but I really think that for the first few nights I'd like to be on my own (to get over jetlag etc).. probably no more than 40GPB per night.

Re: Some advice on these hotels please

by roadfuzz

Hi!

I'm going in October and have been searching through reasonable hotels. I just found this, and it looks pretty cute and reasonable.

good luck,
Liz

Re: Re: Some advice on these hotels please

by Seabiscuit

Annie-
I don't know London well (but plan on it very soon). I stayed at the Chelsea Village Hotel, and I think it was on Fulham Road.... great to get rid of that lag! :)
Jeff-